main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before - Legends To Skin a Gundark (Trett) --COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mistress_Renata, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Who me? What backlog?

Poor Trett. Now, he's just made things a lot worse for those poor souls waiting for escape. And I'm with Jacen here. He's probably on his way to finding out what is really going on. So Seph - the "useless" one is with the elders. Oh, dear. Either the FETRS people have him or....someone else does!

Hope it's not what I think it is....

Good job.

2. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Poor Trett, having to slink away!!

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Re: the backlog, dianethx, this adventure was alluded to as a one-liner in one of my earlier Trett stories. Though I never thought it would be explained!

Thanks, Ty-Gon, Trett does tend to act before he thinks. :(

And jacen must also be strong in the Force; you seem to Trett almost as well as Myron does!

The north door was unlocked. Trett paused to study the security box. It had been jury-rigged, he realized, with some wires twisted together and a slim shim of metal jammed into a slot. Anyone could walk out. He turned to stare back into the vast barn. Any of them could walk out.

But a massive slave escape would only draw attention to his own activities. It would be sure to bring everyone running... including Amut, Sen-sanai...and Myron. Even if they sympathized with him, they would never condone it. For one moment, he wavered. Then he turned and slipped through the door. Seph first. If the box was still rigged, though... he could check later, afterwards.

Outside, he ducked into a shadow and froze, surveying the scene. The midways between the holding pens and the sale barns were empty now, full of trash. A few small animals, some type of vermin, skittered along the edges of the buildings, exploring the discarded containers of snacks. But above their rustling, skittering footfalls, he could here...

A soft whine. An engine? He moved towards the sound, being careful to stay concealed. He could just see a group of people shuffling into some sort of large carrier. A few others were walking around, and now he could see one of them raise something... a humming, a snap. Trett clenched his jaw as a forcewhip lashed down on the back of one of the group. Slavers. Why were they moving people at this hour of night? So secretly?

Unless they were violating one of the regulations. Trett's eyes gleamed. You're in trouble now! he thought gleefully. He moved closer, staying close to the ground, not taking his eyes off the carrier.

The slavers opened a gate, a side access entrance, and one waited while the cargo carrier slipped outside, hovering a meter over the ground with only a high-pitched whine to alert anyone to its presence. Once clear, the slaver pointed something at a tube mounted high on the wall -security cam, Trett guessed-and went through the gate, closing it after him.

The boy crouched, eyeing the cam, estimating its range and field of vision. Then he moved to the wall, circling just out of its sights. He gathered himself, reached into the Force... Before he could do anything an alarm klaxon blared. Bright lights came on all over the arena, and a horde of guards came running to the barns he'd just vacated.

"Escape! There's been an escape!" squealed a Vloke, tottering on its stilt-like legs at high speed, dashing for the slave pens.

Trett could only wonder if the young man he'd spoken to had gotten tired of waiting for him. At any rate, he couldn't stick around and wait to be discovered. He took a deep breath, crouched, and jumped to the top of the wall.

4. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Cool post.

This story's going fine indeed.

I liked this part most..

Outside, he ducked into a shadow and froze, surveying the scene. The midways between the holding pens and the sale barns were empty now, full of trash. A few small animals, some type of vermin, skittered along the edges of the buildings, exploring the discarded containers of snacks. But above their rustling, skittering footfalls, he could here...

5. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh dear. Maybe the escapee is Trett? He is in the slave area and alone! And they are taking away slaves secretly - this is not good!

Looking forward to more!

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I'm curious to know if the sudden disappearance of slvaes in the middle of the night is tied in somehow with the sudden disappearance of slaves in strange pirate raids?

...but I don't expect an answer soon.

7. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Slave rustlers!! Them dirty varmints are herdin' peoples like cattle! Dang bootsnakes.

8. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ohhh nice thought Kitara! *mumbles about not having had it first* ;)

Poor Trett...he'll probably be understanding the slaves a lot more now. An insiders look is great though, it can go beyond healthy temperatures to 'hold humans' in. At least he has the Force with him....

Can't wait for more!

9. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Renata!

Yeah, I'm a month late, I know (eep! sorry). I just haven't been very good with checking up on my favorite authors lately.

Whew, well, now that I've successfully caught up, I can say: Amazing job! Another fantastic story! I absolutely cannot wait for more, dear.

10. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Hey, welcome back, Furry! I did miss you! Sarah_K & Lucy have disappeared, too, hmm...

Kitara is, as usual, well on top of the situation. Can't put anything past her! Or dianethx, either. [face_love]

And Trett will be glad to have such a cheering section, Lunetta!

Chuckling at Ty-Gon; have you been watching Toy Story? Yup, the pirates are varmints all right... ;)

Sorry this is so late and disjointed. I have a terrific headcold, and was grumpier than Obi-Wan yesterday. Feeling a bit better and waiting for turkey to cook today. So here's the next thrilling (I hope) installment, with Trett proving that he's brave, but not always that bright:

The fair-haired boy stretched, determined to make the top. It was high, but not impossible. The heavier gravity of this planet made it harder than usual, so he had to scramble a bit, and he didn't hesitate when he'd made it, but relied on his training and instincts to drop down the other side, bouncing off a refuse bin.

He had to run, then. The carrier was moving away. It was not particularly fast, but it was faster than his two legs. He thought about drawing on the Force, using it to lengthen his strides. But he decided to hold that in reserve. Right now, Trett concentrated on breathing and relaxing even while he was running, allowing his body the air it needed to do the job.

It reached a clearing, and rumbled, ready to go airborne. Trett eyed it. It was a 'hopper, designed for short distances. He doubted it would go further than the nearest spaceport. He drew on the Force then, running with all his strength, leaping and snatching at one of the exhaust vents as the transport rose into the air for the travel lanes. He choked a little at the noxious gases blowing back in his face, and swung his legs up to brace them against the belly of the carrier. Now...he turned his head, pressing his cheek to the warm metal of the hull, and stretched his arm out, snatching at the ridge surrounding the door. Fingers curled around it, toes pressed against it, he took a chance and let go with his right hand, so now he was hanging from the side. The carrier was picking up speed, and the wind billowed through the layers of his clothing. Now... hand over hand up the side of the carrier, up to the roof, and lie flat, spread eagle, arms and legs braced against the slipstream buffers. Now all he had to do was stay on.

That wasn't easy, either, but he would never have been able to catch up otherwise. He lay there, concentrating on maintaining his balance and recovering his strength; the sprint in heavy gravity had taken a lot out of him.

The ride was a bit longer than Trett had expected. It was not the spaceport they were bound for, but a small hangar in a suburb. At this hour of night, it was silent. There were only a few worklights, and a few droids as well, quietly going about their work. The transport settled down just outside of town, and slid through the dark streets to the hangar. One great metal blast door opened with a dull rumble, and a few dark figures walked out. Trett shifted cautiously, still hugging the roof, but moved to peer cautiously around the buffer, hoping it hid his slim form from the view of the beings below.

The central character was a Bourkk, a male by the size of him, with the triple crest of pointed ridges on his head proclaiming his desert origin. A stocky young woman, a human, dropped from the truck, followed by a man, not entirely human from the way his ears pointed.

"Well?" asked the Bourkk.

"No problems," said the woman, handing him a datapad. "Two hundred forty three total. Nine incorrigibles, five limps, and the rest elders."

"How much?"

"Just over five thousand."

"Excellent." The Bourkk gestured to a Rodian. "Let's get them loaded and out of here." He turned to the woman. "And the alarm?"

"Went off just after we left."

"Perfect. Good work, Mistral."

Trett puzzled over this. Most of the conversation made no sense to him, except for the alarm. He shimmied back to the

11. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    TRETT WHAT IN THE GALAXY ARE YOU THINKING????

your only a padawan you should have called for reinforcements, or your master. your way in over your head Trett, don't act like their going to listen to you. they'll just laugh at your face and then capture you.

CLIFFHANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *falls*

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Boy, you're right. Trett is a few brick shy of a full load if he thinks he can take on all those people by himself! And I didn't like the statement that their new masters wouldn't care what shape they were in! Rather ominous!

I think Trett is going to find out what is going on. But will he disappear with the rest?

Great job. Keep going!

Did you notice? You got a review in the newsletter!

13. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    WHAT...?! Oh dang, Rendell, have you no sense? I guess at this age that's what masters are for. For your information, Renata, that was a horrible cliffhanger! Will Rendell be roasted? Laughed at? Kidnapped? The possibilities are painfully endless. [face_plain]

To catch up on the stuff I missed: Naturally, he wasn't going to just go to bed and think things through -- he was just too upset. But worse than his original bout of outrage (which was totally understandable) was the way he treated his master. Particularly that clever little dodge with the history lesson. Poor Myron! Raising a kid just isn't easy. ;)

Tsk, tsk, I wish I could feel proud of the clever way Rendell managed to get back to Seph's slave pen, but the whole time I was resisting the urge to smack my head on the desk. You pull a good balance on Trett, Renata: he's a believable character because no Gary Stu could ever be so stupid! Let us hope rather desperately that something good comes out of this. ;)

In the meanwhile... nothing like a little mud in the water. *sigh* The image of that slave waiting for him to come back is one that will likely haunt Rendell for quite some time, if he lets himself think about it. That is the problem with trying to fix things on an individual basis, I suppose. Which individual?

I give up again. What are these people doing making off with the undisciplined, old, or crippled?? They certainly aren't abolitionists on a mercy mission. Why was the alarm rigged? Where are they loading up? And what does Bantha feed have to do with anything?? Far too many questions for one tired mind to deal with. Maybe it's some confusing combination of all previous ideas... a group of slavers stealing from themselves for insurance money and setting the whole thing up to frame the abolitionists. Or not. :p

Hope you get better soon, Renata! I always seem to get sick on Thanksgiving too, though this year we're actually having our dinner the day *after* Thanksgiving.

Lucy is currently in hiding, trying to avoid getting loved to death by ten very exuberant cousins. I'm sure she'll come and catch up herself after they've all gone to bed. ;)

Sarah >^,,^<

14. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    I think everyone else has already expressed the same sentiment- Trett you idiot!

They talked about 5,000? Who did they pay off?

15. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Rendell Trett has just won the Red Shirt Award. (For those who are not Star Trek fans (or old enough ones) among us, on the original series the guys who died in each episode, so you knew it was serious, were always the security officers in their red shirts. Giving rise to sightings at cons of fans in red shirts with targets painted on them. Or, as his recent behavior reminds me of more directly, in blending with Blake's 7 fandom - red tshirts enscribed I'm not stupid; I'm not expedable; And I'm not going. Not that I am saying that Trett is expendable...)

And to quote a favorite GFFA character, "I have a bad feeling about this."

KD

16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Poor Trett; jacen200015 and KD are ready to whop him upside the head! Yes, he doesn?t always think before he acts. I dunno about the Red Shirt Award... maybe the Wesley Crusher Award? ;)

dianethx Thanks for letting me know about the review; I had missed it! Though I should have skipped it, thanks to those durn plot bunnies. For some reason, I have visions of the last episode of Buffy going through my head; Renata and dianethx fighting off the bunnies of the Hellmouth?

Sarah_K, I hope Lucy has recovered. I picture her waving a paw in the air and muttering ?There is no kitty hiding under the bed? there is no kitty hiding under the bed??

And I love Kitara?s analytical mind: They talked about 5,000? Who did they pay off?

We?re going to leave the boy on the cliff at the moment; it will give him a chance to consider the consequences of his actions. Meanwhile, back at the palace?

"Rendell." Myron's eyes flew open, uncertain whether it was the Force or a passing nightmare that jolted him to wakefulness. The feeling -a premonition?-of danger still closed his chest. He breathed deeply, releasing the tightness, and reached for his lightsaber. With a single, graceful movement, he was on his feet, alert to the faint moonlight filtering in through the draperies, which stirred in the breeze from the plaza outside. On bare feet, he slipped soundlessly to the window, and nudged back the drapery, scanning outside. No one there. No threat. Only the warm evening breeze sending the heavy scent of nightlilies to him, and a low murmur of the proaks in the water garden, calling to their mates.

He slipped his cloak on, and moved through the draperies to the main living area, not bothering to don his boots. If there was danger, time was of the essence, and he would move more quietly without them. The main suite was still and dark. In one corner, he spotted Minn and Ferss slouched on a bench. He took a few cautious steps towards the girls, but their energies through the Force were strong. Normal. They were not harmed, they were asleep, leaning up against each other like discarded rag dolls.

Myron left them alone. By custom, they should be wide-awake and ready to fulfill his most frivolous wish. He was within his rights to beat them soundly for falling asleep. But it never crossed his mind. He moved now to the draperies cordoning off his Padawan's sleeping room. The bed was empty. The tightness returned to his heart, sharp and sudden, but he put it aside and moved to the 'fresher.

"Renn?" he called softly. "Rendell?" And, after a moment, "Padawan?" The boy was not there. Even though he could sense it through the Force, the absence of that unique, bright essence that was his boy, he still pushed the curtain aside to see for himself. Empty.

He returned to the chamber, staring at the empty bed. Rendell had slept in it; the covers were disturbed and there was a hollow in the pillow. He touched the pillow and the mattress. Cool. The boy had been gone for some time.

Betrayal, anguish, all things welled up in him and Myron took a deep breath, forcing them back. The Jedi code said that a Jedi must not know love. It wasn't just romantic love, or physical love... anything that attached you too closely to one person, one place had to be avoided. Love, for all the beauty surrounding it, could blind you, keep you from seeing things that must be addressed. And he admitted to himself that he had a deep affection for this surrogate son. Only that could explain why it hurt so much, to realize that Rendell had disobeyed him. He returned to his own room, dressing quickly, and left by way of the plaza walkway so that he wouldn't wake the chambermaids.

As he jogged easily through the lavish corridors, ignoring the curious stares of the slaves whose duties kept them working into the night, he silently prayed, wished, visualized the landing area. Even though he knew what he would find, he had to hope that the graceful, borrowed starfighter would still be there. It wasn't. The slip was e

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Ah, yes, the plot bunnies. What was funny is that the 'beyond the saga' one appealed to you and the 'before the saga' one appealed to me! Lightsabers at the ready - beat back those bunnies!!!

And now onto the post. For some reason, Myron thinking that love was to be avoided was more horrifying to me than the slavery issue. And that he called to let others know that Trett was trying to steal a slave....I understand it intellectually but emotionally...I just can't!!! Guess I'll never be a Jedi (thank goodness!).

18. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, poor Myron! That's so horrible!!

And I'm just having horrifying images of JC authors and bunnies at the Hellmouth...

19. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    An interesting showcase for an interesting problem here: human beings (at least) are incapable of detaching themselves completely from the people around them. We need the contact of others, and a person so hardened that they could actually resist the desire to love would be a person who would not have enough humanity left in them to be a good Jedi.

Basically, the 'no attachment' rule is a nice thought but it just doesn't work. Which is a good thing, even if it hurts. :)

I liked the way it never even entered into Myron's head to disturb the sleeping slave girls, and also the way he left his boots behind. As much as this whole situation is dreadful, I'm also glad he sent word to Amut. Mostly because I think Rendell will shortly be needing an extra hand...

*grins in the direction of her closet, where her cat is currently lurking* Something like that. [face_laugh] Fortunately, so long as she keeps out of sight I can avoid perjuring myself before my enthusiastic, cat-petting relatives. "I honestly haven't seen her lately, sweetie -- perhaps she's upstairs!" :p

Sarah >^,,^<

20. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Trett, Trett, Trett...poor kid shoulda thought things through more clearly. At least Myron's on his way, poor guy.

Can't wait to see what happens next :)

21. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Now what shall I do while waiting for a post??

*Christens Renata as "Bunny the Vampire Slayer"*

22. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    I think Trett is really in for it when his master gets hold of him

23. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I dunno about the Red Shirt Award... maybe the Wesley Crusher Award? Oh, no. Rendell isn't nearly annoying enough for the "Wesley Crusher weighs 70 kilos" award (another B7/ST blending). And Rendell's trouble seems to be the opposite of Wesley's. Rendell seems to believe his abilities are less than they are. Whereas Wesley seems to me to have entirely too high an opinion of himself.

The Red Shirt Award is handed out for brave but ultimately, dangerously stupid, moves. I could be wrong but taking on a band of "slave rustlers" (heh) not just without backup but without backup knowing where you are, when you are - what was it? eleven - strikes me as a classic brave but dangerously stupid move. But if anyone can get themselves out of such a mess, probably it is Rendell.

So I'll just dig my claws in to the side of this cliff and see what happens. Hmm, nice view from up here. Rope dropping down to where I am would be good though. Unless there's a Spaniard waiting at the top.

*Christens Renata as "Bunny the Vampire Slayer"* heh heh heh Hmm, gonna have to go re-read the newsletter and see what caught whose eye.

KD

24. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Sorry about yesterday. I, um, *mumbles ?played computer games all afternoon"* was busy.

:) dianethx? YAAAAAAAAAA! *Whackwhackwhackwhackwhack* Phew? Any time you wanna jump in and help us fight off those bunnies, Ty-Gon... :D

Heh, Kitara, you know me? Trett?s in for it even if Myron DOESN?T catch up to him! [face_devil]

Don?t worry Sarah and lunetta; Myron might not let his heart rule his head; but he does indeed have one.

And in fairness to Trett, KD, he?s fourteen. Old enough to know better! ;)

Mistral stared at the young Jedi apprentice in disbelief. It quickly changed to anger. "Who are you?" she demanded.

"Rendell Trett, of the Jedi Order. I am part of the team here to monitor the auctions." Trett took a deep breath. If he could just keep them talking? "It's rather late to be transporting, isn't it?"

Mistral's eyes narrowed. "Scheduling," she said in a tight voice. "We need to take off within the hour to arrive at our destination on time."

"I see." Trett glanced into the hold of the carrier. Some of the incorrigibles were looking out at him, with varying degrees of defiance and anxiety on their faces. "Are these recent purchases?"

"Of course."

"Hm. The alarm went off at the slave pens shortly after your departure. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

"Of course not." The Rodian and the other man returned and stopped, staring at Trett. They turned to Mistral for an explanation. The woman smiled sweetly.

"Master Trett here is part of the Jedi inspection team," she said. Trett caught the sarcasm in her voice.

"Jedi?" snarled the Rodian. He stepped forward with his hand going to the blaster at his belt, but Mistral forestalled him with a gesture.

"Of course we shall cooperate," she said smiling. In this light, her eyes looked black and glittered dangerously. She held out a datapad to Trett. "Here's the shipping manifest and the bill of lading. I believe you'll find it all in order."

Trett was reluctant to take it. He didn't trust her. Even so, he spared a quick glance at it. It listed the transport of two hundred and forty three slaves to the Corporate Sector, by their owner Vhan Danktarr, purpose: resale. A stack of invoices and immunization forms was attached. It seemed to be in order.

"Where are the Customs clearances?" he asked. "I don't see the tariff stamp on here."

"The Customs inspector will be by as soon as we have them all onboard," said Mistral in a soothing voice. "Everything is quite according to the book."

"I see," said Trett. Only he didn't, he didn't see what was making him so edgy. Because the papers did seem to be in order. He glanced into the cargo hold. "Do you mind if I inspect the pens? I have a mandate from the Senate."

"Of course," purred Mistral. "Would you like to start with these?"

"Don't trust her!" cried one of the slaves in the transport. Trett stepped to the bottom of the ramp to look in at the man.

He whirled, suddenly, reaching for his lightsaber as he moved, but not fast enough to prevent Mistral from slamming the electrojabber into his ribs. His body arched and spasmed as the powerful current tore through him, and he collapsed to the ground, gasping for breath. Through the haze of pain and shock, he fumbled at his belt again. With his left hand, he pulled his saber free, thumbing the switch, and drove it up and backwards. He heard the Rodian scream in anguish as the blade thrust through the alien's thigh, but then Mistral struck again, pressing the jabber into his chest this time.

For one moment he was sure he would die, his heart was not going to be able to withstand it. It was over quickly, leaving him lightheaded, dizzy, with an aching tightness in his chest. A grey haze seemed to have settled over his vision.

"If you want to inspect our ship, Jedi," hissed Mistral, "you'd better come aboard, hadn't you?" Something smashed into his head, the side of his skull.

And then darkness.

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Shakes her head....Trett, Trett, Trett... you're a Jedi, for Force sake! A 14 year old Jedi, but still... You had just dug yourself into a very large pit!!! And Myron doesn't know where you are.
    On the other hand, he will probably find out what is going on. Hope it doesn't hurt too much!

Great job. Keep going!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.