main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before - Legends To Skin a Gundark (Trett) --COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mistress_Renata, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Nooooooooooooooo!

This am nutsen.

Oh, and Renata, I'm fighting off bunnies all the time. I keep trying to get past Writer Block for my non-fan historical fiction, and yet the only bunnies that multiply are the ones that fit into my fanfics... including some bunnies that have come from Rendell Trett himself. ;)

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    What a typical Trett thing to do.

come get some yummy bunny chow [face_devil]

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Oh, I knew it! Poor Trett though...ouch! Least he'll get an insiders view, though I have to wonder how long the slavers will keep him...Jedi would be awfully hard to control. (Unless they've caught them before?)

Can't wait for more!

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Sorry that I had to go into lurker status for a while; newsletter + real life = just plain overwhelming!

Slave rustlers! (Love that phrase!) I never would have expected that! And going to a small hangar in a suburb ... interesting. Is it a public or a private hangar?

Five thousand ... was that the price for all 200+ slaves, or was that the bribe? Their new masters won't care what shape they're in? I don't like this ... sounds to me like Skele-Gro or Quick-Gro or whatever it's called. Brrr! Scary thought!

Great Force! What is Trett doing? Confronting them all on his own, without any backup, without anybody knowing where he is? It's a miracle he survived to knighthood, let alone long enough to meet Arwen.

Nice detail when Myron was thinking that he was within his rights to beat the slave girls for falling asleep. :( Another excellent detail was Myron thinking that he had a deep affection for Rendell, that the boy was his surrogate son, and that it hurt when he disobeyed him.

Customs inspector hasn't been there yet? Is that what's making Trett so uneasy? Or is it just impending danger? And they got him. I expected as much. The woman's eyes were glittering much too dangerously.

I guess he's going to find out the hard way where they're taking these slaves. I just hope Myron and Amut can find him before he's ground up into protein meal.

5. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    These lasts posts were fine!

Abyssnan had half of her fur and both ears burned away, with ugly scars of dead flesh stretched and twisted across her body....cool description.

I also liked this paragraph a lot....

He whirled, suddenly, reaching for his lightsaber as he moved, but not fast enough to prevent Mistral from slamming the electrojabber into his ribs. His body arched and spasmed as the powerful current tore through him, and he collapsed to the ground, gasping for breath. Through the haze of pain and shock, he fumbled at his belt again. With his left hand, he pulled his saber free, thumbing the switch, and drove it up and backwards. He heard the Rodian scream in anguish as the blade thrust through the alien's thigh, but then Mistral struck again, pressing the jabber into his chest this time.

...the detail of the movements was great.

6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, as everyone knows (or to the newcomers, suspects), Trett?s #1 unique gift is for finding himself in trouble up to the eyeballs! No exception.

On the other hand, he will probably find out what is going on. Oooooh, count on that, dianethx!

I can empathize with the writer?s block thing, Ty-Gon? I have an idea for an original fantasy, with a beginning chapter and a climax, and no clue how to get from A to Z! And not much time, either... :p

And Kitara? stop encouraging those bunnies! No, bad bunny, bad! Out of the roses? shoo! :D

Least he'll get an insiders view, though? Heh, heh, Lunetta, remember that you said that! ;)

Lurk away, Jane, you?ve been working hard! J (Though it?s always great to read your comments) And you?ve pegged the original bunny for this one!

Thank you, Knight_of_Swords! Writing action scenes is difficult for me; I?m always glad when the readers understand what I?m trying to describe.

Right. Um? let?s see? ah, yes?

Myron had borrowed one of the Viceroy's shuttles, piloting it himself. He settled the craft into its berth on the main spaceport of Ananzial, and, on a whim, quickly walked through the other hangars, searching the massive crowd of ships. The fighters were together, and he easily spotted the graceful blue-green metallic hull of the Kha'pinn ship.

"R3?" he called. The droid chirped as it powered itself awake, and swiveled its beveled dome in the direction of the Jedi Master. "R3, do you know where Rendell went?"

The droid honked in the negative. Myron looked thoughtfully at the ship. At least the boy was still on the planet; though it was a two-seater. If he was planning to escape with the slave... "R3, did he say when he'd be back?" Another negative.

Myron scratched at his chin, then opened a pouch on his belt and found a tracking device. He moved to the back of the ship, near the exhaust ports, and adhered it carefully to a spot where it would not be noticed. "R3, if he comes back and attempts to take off, do not allow him to unless you have contacted me."

The droid burped and whirred as it processed these orders, then chirruped an affirmative. Relieved in this, at least, Myron quickly went and found a speeder, and made his way to the auction area.

The slave pens were in an uproar. Dawn was breaking on the horizon, but every light was on, and a horde of people were talking to each other angrily. Amut and Sen-senai were there, at the center of the mob. Myron saw a motion, a smaller figure. A large group of the traders peeled off then to surround and confront him, or her.

He shouldered through the beings remaining to join his colleagues. Part of his mind registered that the remaining people were mostly staff of the auctions.

Amut had been nodding as the security chief finished a report. "Keep us informed," he said, "and tell us when you find her; we'd like to interrogate her ourselves. If you will excuse us, we must brief our colleague."

The three Jedi withdrew.

"What has happened?" asked Myron. Amut and Sen-senai exchanged glances.

"We're not sure yet," said Amut. "It looks as if there's been a mass escape. Over two hundred slaves are gone."

Myron felt his heart sink. "Any word of Rendell?" he asked.

"Not yet."

"His ship is still in the spaceport. If he's gone off-planet, he's gone another way. Now, tell me what happened?"

"It looks as if the doors were tampered with. The usually security alarm was overridden and set on a timing device. It permitted someone to come in, gather the slaves, and move out again. The alarm didn't go off until the timer signaled it to."

"So whoever helped those slaves knew about the security systems." Myron felt more unhappy by the moment. Trett knew about those, since he'd helped inspect them, and was smart enough to figure out how to reset them.

"Myron," said Sen-senai gently, "did he leave you a note? Perhaps he explained his behavior?"

"I doubt it," replied the older man sadly. He pulled out his datapad, and

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Poor Myron. What a blow to him - to think that Rendell would let so many slaves escape. But he isn't thinking clearly. Rendell is smarter than that (I would hope) and would have been a bit more sneaky about so many slaves. Besides, it would take planning and Ren didn't have enough time!

Good job.

8. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    It sounds like Trett is in real trouble.

Bantha feed- come on, what kind of clue is that? I know, maybe it's really buuny chow in disguise 8-}

9. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, oh, poor Myron.

And I'd love to hear about your fantasy bunny, if you'd PM me. :) Maybe I could help.

10. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    cool post

"R3?" he called. The droid chirped as it powered itself awake, and swiveled its beveled dome in the direction of the Jedi Master. "R3, do you know where Rendell went?"

The droid honked in the negative......."R3, did he say when he'd be back?" Another negative.

You really know how to give a droid a character. The same touch created in the movies.

11. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    It's sad that Myron and the other Jedi assume that Rendell is somehow involved in the disappearance of the slaves, but from their point of view, that must really be what it looks like. Interesting that Myron should put a homing device on the ship that Rendell used -- it's a good idea, but slightly misplaced. Actually, he should have one installed in Rendell himself; under the skin on his upper arm or leg or something.

"Keep us informed," he said, "and tell us when you find her; we'd like to interrogate her ourselves. Are they talking about Mistral here?

Will the next step be to investigate the factory of the bantha feed pellet, this Cessarin Agricultural on Champeri IV? No, wait, that was the other story -- wasn't it? ;)

Fee, fi, fo, fum,
    I smell the blood
    Of a Jedi-Man
    Be he alive or be he dead
    I'll grind his bones to make my bread.

Myron's got a headache and a tight ache in his chest? I hope he's not headed towards a heart attack or a stroke!

12. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Maybe it should be "Fo, fum, fee fi, I smell the blood of a Jedi..." ;)

13. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Ack poor Myron, sensing what Trett is going through. (At least I assume so since he has a headache and pain in his chest...which poor Trett had to endure. *mumbles against the slavers, who in their treatment of him, have shown how well they follow the law...)

Can't wait for more :)

14. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, December and it?s finally decided to behave like winter. COOOOLD?

Oh, Kitara and Jane, you can?t say you didn?t know about the Bantha feed! LOL! And it's the FETRS woman, Chalassa Nier, that they want to question. They don't know about Mistral.

Ack poor Myron, sensing what Trett is going through. (At least I assume so since he has a headache and pain in his chest...which poor Trett had to endure. Yup, that?s it, Lunetta. They don?t have a telepathic bond, but there is an empathy, at least. I don?t think either one of them realizes just how strong it is, though?

The bunny is going to percolate a bit, Ty-Gon. The holidays are bad enough as it is.

Let?s see, someone wished for more. Your wish is my command?

Pain. It was the first thing he was aware of, a deep bruise in his chest, a tightness that made it hard to breathe. The pain in his head was sharper, keener, pulsing to the beating of his heart. At least his heart was beating. Trett focused on that, finding the heartbeat, slowing it, easing it. Then his breathing. It was hard to take deep healing breaths, when his ribcage was burning with pain, but he did what he could.

After a few minutes of this, his head felt clearer. He still hurt, but at least he felt as if he could put the pain aside, and think about his current situation. Slowly he opened his eyes.

He was on the ship, and it was moving. He listened to the engines, the pitch, and had to figure they were in hyperspace. How will Myron find me? Trett pushed back the stab of pain in his heart as this anxious thought slipped through his mind. He will find me, he assured himself. And then, as another memory came back, If he still wants to. That thought raised a massive wave of worries that threatened to flood him and overwhelm him. He had to focus on the present.

Be mindful of your purpose. Keep your mind on where you are and what you are doing. Yoda's words. Okay. He was on a ship... prisoner on a ship, obviously. The ship was in hyperspace. He was lying on the floor, which was hard, and cold against his cheek. It was also dirty, sticky with some sort of liquid... never mind, he didn't need to know what.

He'd been bound up, tightly, to prevent his escape. A heavy slave collar pressed against his throat, and his hands were manacled behind him, with iron around his elbows, too, drawing them together painfully behind his back. The cuffs were too tight. His ankles and knees were also bound, and he realized that a heavy chain linked the cuffs at his wrists to his ankles. He was pretty well trussed, much as the incorrigibles had been.

From the position he was in, laying on the floor, he couldn't see much of anything. And the lighting was very dim... We find that keeping it darker helps keep the prisoners calmer. Ghure had said. Were the others...?

He couldn't see the other slaves, but they were nearby. He could hear them, muffled sobs, limbs shifting to find a more comfortable position, whispered conversations.

"Master Jedi? Master Jedi?"

Trett listened, processing the voice. "Seph?" he croaked. His mouth was very dry.

"You are alive?"

"Yes. I'm not...not a Master." Trett hesitated. "My name...is Rendell...remember?"

"Ah, yes. Yes, you came yesterday."

"Yes." Trett breathed for a minute. He was worn out, and he'd barely said a few sentences. "You...the rest...you're all right?"

"As much as can be expected. But you are hurt!"

"Who...who are these people?"

"I am not sure...pirates, I think. They bought us."

"Bought you?" Trett tried to turn his head to look at Seph, It was impossible, there was a partition between them. He was in some sort of holding bay. But at least Seph was next door. "The alarm went off. You weren't...stolen?"

"No," said Seph slowly. "No, I saw the woman and the Sularin, Coio, negotiating with him earlier. They bought me and Rawamrr, the Abyssnan, and some of the elders. I think they bought the others elsewhere."

"Why did they take you out of the pen

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, at least Trett is quick-witted and assessed his situation fairly fast. Good, the distress beacon should work if only the Jedi will get there in time. In time to find what, though??? It was interesting that some of the slaves think that they are going to die... They might be right.

Good job. Keep going!

16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Thank you for the nomination, Ty-Gon! And to everyone who?s nominated Invisible Enemy, Jane & I are very flattered! [face_blush]

And thank you, dianethx. Trett is glad of the cheering section. The slaves aren?t stupid, though?

This is short. Wednesday = sword class. Though it is so cold out, I sure don?t want to venture outside!

The scavenger barns were buzzing. The dealers had roused their slaves to make a careful count, and were now gathered together, muttering. The slaves were awake, nervous, huddled together in the pens, and studying the activity around them.

Myron and Sen-sanai had examined the door, which had been indeed been tampered with.

"Strange..." murmured Myron. "If you were going to steal a bunch of slaves, why would you not completely disable the alarm? This was deliberately on a timer."

"It makes no sense." The younger Jedi Knight shot him a sidelong glance, and added, "You cannot believe poor Rendell did this?"

"I could not say." Myron pulled at his short beard. "Rendell mentioned a boy." He turned and looked around the pens. "Did any of the scavengers report a young man missing?"

"We don't have the reports yet. Myron..." Sen-senai touched his arm. "Do not think he could do this. You have no proof."

Myron let his eyes roam over the pens. He thought he'd seen, he'd imagined...? No. A young man, a slave. Edgy, trying to seem calm, he'd been watching the Jedi with an occasional worried glance at his own overseer. "Paral, can you distract that overseer? There's someone I think I need to talk to."

He took his time, wandering around the pens, pretending to observe them, exchanging a few words with the overseers and a few of the slaves until he got to the pen with the nervous young man. "I think you have something to say to me," he said in a soft voice.

"M-me? N-no, my lord, nothing!"

Myron looked deeply into his eyes. "Nothing?" The slave swallowed hard. "Did you see a Jedi tonight?"

The slave glanced at the overseer and nodded. "Y-yes," he whispered. "A boy. He came asking about Seph."

Myron stiffened. That was the name his Padawan had mentioned. "What happened?" he asked. "Where did they go?"

"I...I don't know. The boy came asking about Seph, but he'd already been taken off with the others."

"Wait..." said Myron. "Taken off by whom?"

"I don't know. There were three. They came in through the far door. They took a pretty large group, nearly a hundred and left. The Jedi came about twenty minutes later. He followed them."

"The three... What did they look like?"

The slave glanced nervously towards his overseer, and suddenly shivered. "I...I don't remember." Myron turned his head to look and realized that the overseer had turned away from Sen-senai and was looking over in their direction with a very unfriendly look.

Myron cleared his throat and raised his voice slightly. "If you can remember anything at all that can help in this investigation, please ask your handler to let us know. Thank you."

He turned and walked away to the door of the pen, pondering what the young man had said. Rendell had not taken the boy? Someone else had? But where had they gone? And Rendell had followed them... The Jedi Master sighed deeply. It wasn't the first time his apprentice had done this. And if Trett's luck ran true to form... I have to find him. Fast.

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh good. At least Myron knows now that Trett didn't take the slaves. But he won't be pleased when they are back together - the intent was there.

The mystery deepens. Good job. Keep going!

18. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    Two other good posts.

Pain. It was the first thing he was aware of, a deep bruise in his chest, a tightness that made it hard to breathe. The pain in his head was sharper, keener, pulsing to the beating of his heart. At least his heart was beating. Trett focused on that, finding the heartbeat, slowing it, easing it. Then his breathing. It was hard to take deep healing breaths, when his ribcage was burning with pain, but he did what he could....great paragraph.

Be mindful of your purpose. Keep your mind on where you are and what you are doing....reminded me of Obi-wan instucting Anakin.

19. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    if Trett's luck ran true to form... I have to find him. Fast

He knows his apprentice well.

20. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, you're quite welcome, Renata. I've become quite fond of Trett recently. He's very well-written, after all.

And OUCH -- that was quite descriptive of the pain. So hard to see our hero that way...

And if Trett's luck ran true to form... That's never promising, now, is it?

21. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Be mindful of your purpose. Keep your mind on where you are and what you are doing. Yoda's words. Ha, so Yoda gives the same advice to Myron's padawan that Qui-Gon does to his own. Yet to Qui-Gon's padawan he gives different, nearly opposite advice. Is he trying to correct for the Master's leanings? Myron easily takes the long view so tell Trett to keep his mind on the present. Qui-Gon is the epitome of Carpe Diem so tell Obi-Wan to be mindful of the future. So is that meddling or fine-tuning? Or have I just read way way way too much into a single line?

KD

22. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi, all. Cold, snow, freezing? it?s given me the blues. Lord, please send Spring soon! Alas?

And now a long list of thank yous?

Thank you, KOS! Glad you like that paragraph. I?m not really into torture, but sometimes you have to put pain in.

Yes, indeed, Kitara, Myron did know exactly what he was getting into. :) And yes, dianethx, a certain Padawan is going to be in deep Bantha-doo when his Master catches up to him. :eek:

I've become quite fond of Trett recently. He's very well-written, after all. Thank you, Ty-Gon. He really has evolved a lot, as I?ve been working on him. My goal is always to make him a very average Jedi. If there is such a thing?

Heh, yes, you?re probably thinking too much, KD. Not that that?s bad. I think a bit of Yoda discussing Luke on Dagobah? ?Always thinking of the future, he is. Never his mind on where he is, what he is doing!? Trett tends to get swept away and not consider his immediate actions, alas.

Right, yes. Here?s a bit more.

Trett had not been meditating for long when something warned him, pulled him to full awareness. He could still feel the aftereffects of the electrojabber, and his head pounded, but he felt a little better, enough to be alert. Now he could hear the staccato of boots on the metal decks, and a few minutes later, the pirates appeared, although from his vantage point it was just a forest of legs.

"So," said Vhan Dhanktarr, "you've bagged us a Jedi, eh?" He crouched down for a closer look, and Trett turned his head to regard the Bourkk in return. Vhan frowned as he examined the boy, and gave his shipmates a dirty look as he bent to unfasten Trett's belt. "You haven't learned yet not to check your prisoners?"

"We got the lightsaber!" protested Coio. "We just gave it to you!"

"The Jedi have all sorts of interesting gadgets," said Vhan, pulling a liquid cable launcher out of a belt pouch and examining it. "Usually custom designed, not available anywhere else, and with considerable market value." His eyes gleamed as he found Trett's datapad. "They often know useful information."

Trett said nothing. The datapad did have his messages and reports, but those were coded, and any efforts to override the security codes would wipe the memory completely. There wasn't anything particularly sensitive on there, only the inspections of the slave ships, which Myron had copies of. Well, there was also his history homework. But he was pretty sure that a report on the issues surrounding the Treaty of the Ban-ti-Avi Empire and the Federation of the Jimansi Systems wasn't going to have the market value Vhan hoped for.

Vhan reached for the long Padawan braid, which was trailing along the floor, and picked up the end, twining it in his fingers.

"What're we going to do with the kid?" asked Mistral, eyeing Trett.

"Get rid of him." Coio's eyes flashed, and his hand went to the holster at his hip.

"No, no," Vhank said. His pale blue eyes looked like ice chips as they ran over the boy's still form. "He's worth more than the entire cargo." The pirate drew back his mouth in a gaping, sharp-toothed grin. "I've heard that there are folks who would be interested...VERY interested in a Jedi. And they pay more if he's alive."

The young woman furrowed her brow, and looked at Trett doubtfully. "But what could you do with a Jedi?"

"I don't know, and I don't need to know. It doesn't matter what they plan to use him for; as long as they pay for him." Vhank turned to his associates. "When we land, I'll put out a few feelers, contact a few...agents. Let them know that we've got some rather...special merchandise."

"And what if no one bites?" demanded Coio.

Vhank shrugged, and straightened up. "Then he can go with the rest. Siral won't be fussy."

The pirates left, with Coio giving him a departing kick. Left alone, Trett pondered this. He couldn't imagine that any one of his Order would make a very good slave. What in the Core Worlds could someone do with a Jedi? Vague thoughts, wild speculation

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, Trett, let's see - mind control, breeding stock, scientific experiments (yes, you have a handle on what they'd use a Jedi for, Trett). And once they're mind-wiped they'd make great mercenaries and assassins!

Trett's in trouble. Luckily they missed his distress signal!

Good job.

Ah, yes, snow...we're in for 3-5 inches of it tomorrow!

24. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    snow? It was 70 degrees today.

25. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Ohh so Trett's value saved him there! But, really, they have to be a certain kind of stupid to think they can hold him. I think. :-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.