main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Today I learned...

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by gra-co_o_hun, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    totally sinful

totally tastey

2. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    That some people can take things a wee bit too far.

3. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    ... that I find it somewhat appropriate on the eve of my 40th year on the planet, Frank Sinatra is singing "That's Life" in the background as I reflect...

I should just call this section "In 40 years I learned..."

Ooooooooo 40? The BIG Mile Marker! The Half Way Point? It's All Down Hill From Here? Pick a Cliche. [face_mischief]
    I don't look at it like that at all, really, it's just another day in My Life, not for better, not for worse, just glad to be. I don't think 40 is really old, older yes, but not old. I have friends that obsess over turning 40 and have. They sorta see it as a bad thing instead of embracing the history of experiences and opportunities to make us better than we were. There's always room for improvement and it will always be that way. Evolution is something more than just biological and it only happens when we make a conscious decision to break thru to the next stage. I admit this is that bluff on a drive with a scenic overlook of my Life up til now and believe me, I would do a few things different given the opportunity but at the same time, if I hadn't made some of those choices, I wouldn't be where I am now and I have no regrets, just observations of paths chosen. I am quite content with the person I have become and am still becoming, as a result of fears I am facing and sometimes it takes that to truly evolve. IMO

I'm a simple creature with a few complexities and I have learned some valuable lessons. :oops:
    In 40 years I learned...

... that I still feel like I'm 18.
    ... that most of the crap I learned in High School didn't prepare me for Life in the slightest.
    ... that I am fortunate to have so much great history, with so many old and dear friends.
    ... that the same history in which I speak, is a treasure to me of the highest value! [face_love]
    ... that chocolate and peanut butter taste soooooooooooooooo good together!
    ... that music has been one of my best friends and it just gets better as time goes by. ;)
    ... that I was blessed with family that taught me strong values and showed me compassion and love.
    ... that I understand the meaning of humility.
    ... that I am lucky[face_good_luck] to have the opportunity to pursue my passion for art and have the chance to make a living at it.
    ... that I am still learning how to love again. My track record sucks! [face_blush]
    ... that I still have a fever for Star Wars! [face_laugh]
    ... that in my perfect world, artists would be the highest paid profession. [face_mischief]
    ... that it's important to be diplomatic and compromising from time to time.
    ... that you can't always get what you want and that's OK.
    ... that it's in one's best interest to focus on the positive and not the negative.
    ... that stress management is vital to one's survival.
    ... that there is no strength without weakness.
    ... that All You Need is Love. [face_peace] [face_laugh]
    ... that it's important to listen. It can make the difference.
    ... that I babble like a brook.
    ... that I am just a Sentimental Old Fool.
    ... that if the most I do in Life is be the best human being I can be, then I have accomplished much. :D

I suppose I could go on and on but you see, it's 12:37 am and I need to go nigh-nigh.
    ... and look at that, it's the 23rd.

HB 2 ME.

4. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Cory thats a great way to reflect on life. [:D]
    I think that age is truly just a number, its what you do with your time here that is most important.

5. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Tell that to my insurance company... No, seriously. Would you call them? [face_whistling]

Pooh that's some list you've amassed. And to think, you're only going to learn more and more as the time passes. Congrats on making it to another landmark. :D :*

6. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    Since I used to work in insurance I would be happy to, unless its health insurance.............they suck!

7. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    My church has its own official adult beverage...and we aren't even catholic!

8. Jyn

Jyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2006
    ...that Steve from the Jerry Springer show's security team has his own talk show now... and that he's got a rather empathetic and soothing voice.

9. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    He's smart too, now he can be the host annnnnnd security for his show. [face_mischief]

10. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    I just saw this but:
    So..... a Presbyterian church, which is a faith that has roots in Scotland, is making an ale named after an Irish catholic Saint????

11. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    our refrigerator is on the maytag recall list. we have an appointment for a repair man to fix it on monday

here is a link to the recall info http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09145.html

12. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    ...if your tongue gets stuck to a metal spoon, don't pull it off. let the spoon warm up.

:_|

13. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    OOOOW!

Didn't you learn not to do that when you were a kid and people would get some poor hapless kid to lick a flagpole on a cold day?

14. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I discovered that I sure regress a lot of things from my childhood. But why this particular memory?

I first learned how to ride horses out in Egypt nearby the pyramids. It was very cool and I've got good memories of riding around the sand dunes. Aparently what I do not remember is the Bedouin my dad hired to teach me, also taught me traditional mounted warfare techniques. I had a fake sword and everything. Dad said I got very good and at one point was galloping around standing on one stirrup and waving the hell out of my 'sword'.

Today I learned I could probably have been an extra on Lawrence of Arabia...

15. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    ...that crapping into a tube sock and hitting someone with it is called an Indiana whip. Next time I wont forget to include "Jones" into my google search.

Oh, and because I know someone is going to look it up, it in the urban dictionary.

16. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    ...that this thread needed saving.

17. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    my baby boy...(Finnegan) weighs 16 lbs!!! HOLY COW he is a big cat...and he isn't fat at all.

18. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    that no matter what age...some people just never grasp the concept of being an adult.

19. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    that I am middle aged.

20. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    ...stepping in a puddle when it's 37 degrees outside will make me say words that are not family friendly.

21. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    That someone who said all along, "I don't need help," needed it in a
    big way, but didn't know how to ask. As an 'E'ditor, I was the one who
    learned something (but I'll never ******* admit that, not for a dollar)

YaaYe! Most of these people are older than me... CGI stands for Can't Get It...

Thanks, forum, for... oh, shut up....

22. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    That my 18 month old can talk back to me...........[face_worried]

23. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Not to mention Court, all the back talk you're gonna get. [face_mischief]

24. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    It is pointless to pick toys up until the baby is in bed........

25. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Hardest lesson you will ever learn.