main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Together Again [L/M "Back from the Dead" challenge] - COMPLETED JUNE 8TH!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Briannakin , Mar 12, 2016.

1. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Lovely to see Luke and Mara bonding, but I too worry there's something sinister going on with her health.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks. Don't worry, I'm not that evil :p

Thanks. I love these two!

Have you guys never pushed yourselves to the point of just breaking. That is what Mara did.
    Thanks.

Hehehe. I love writing Ben.

Thanks do much for the gushing!

Thanks. And don't worry: mostly because this fic is almost over (because I am a lazy writer).

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: UCH. I swear, I am going to get better at updating this.

Chapter 8

“You over did it,” a soft voice came to her. Mara felt herself in a warm, soft bed, the calming whirring of the hyperdrive was in the background. She opened her eyes to see Luke sitting at her side on a chair. His deep blue eyes were full of concern. “You pushed yourself too far and collapsed. You should have told me you were feeling weak and needed help to have a steam. It scared me so much.”

“You got everything done by yourself?” she asked weakly, not exactly needing an answer. She swallowed and it didn’t burn; her sore throat was gone. She looked down to see that he had also dried and dressed her, in addition to putting her in the bed.

“Were you actually expecting me to let you help?” he said, reaching over to the bedside table to a cup of water. He handed it to her.

“My Luke and I were a team.” She accepted the cup of water and drank greedily now that it did not hurt to swallow. “I would have never let him get what we ordered, prepare and take off by himself. Not to mention waste his energy by putting me in a healing trance.”

“I’m sorry to remind you, but you are not at war anymore. You don’t have to do everything now. I can handle taking off by myself and putting you in a healing trance. You don’t need to push yourself to exhaustion simply because you think it will make my life easier. Now, are you feeling better?” he asked sincerely, taking the cup from her.

“Yes,” she said, sitting up. “Much better. Thank you.”

“Good!” he said with a grin, standing. “You slept for twelve hours.”

“That would make me better, even without the healing trance,” she murmured, stretching. She was no longer clammy, nor did she feet the urge to cough out her lungs.

“We will be on Ossus in 36 hours. I was wondering if we could just spend to time getting to know each other again and see how we want to take this? Can we start with a nice breakfast?”

“Of course,” she said beginning to get out of the bed. He rushed to help her, but she stopped him. “I’m feeling much better. Trust me.” She stood up, her bare feet landing on the cold floor. “Did you get the things I ordered?”

He nodded and looked to a crate on the floor at the food of the bed.

“I didn’t buy that much,” she said, walking past him as she stared at the plain grey box approximately a meter in each dimension.

“You didn’t,” he said, heading to the door. “I added some stuff.”

He left her alone in the cabin to frown at the box. Sighing, she popped the lock and began to go through the contents. She quickly found what she had ordered: a pair of boots, flat dress shoes, a few undergarments, a few tunics in various colours, leggings, robes, comfortable work-out clothing, and three nightgowns. It was all plain and practical. She then found what Luke bought her. If this had been in her reality, she would yelled at him for buying such extravagant items, but she knew it made him happy to treat her. There was make-up, toiletries, bathing items - including fizz-baths, a lovely green tunic made with metallic thread, hair ties, scarfs, a few pairs of pyjama pants, and, she gasped at the sight: chocolate!

It had been ages since she had chocolate. She carefully placed the chocolate bars back into the crate along with most of the other items. She got dressed in the fine green tunic, a pair of black leggings, the flat shoes, and did her make-up and hair up in a twisted bun. It felt odd, but nice, to dress up for pleasure, and not for battle.

Mara made her way out to the main hold to where there were two bowls of berries on the table. Luke turned around from the heating surface with two plates of hotcakes. “You look nice,” he said, putting the two plates on the table. “I hope you are hungry.”

“I am,” she said, sitting at the table. “Thank you, for all the stuff.” She stuck her fork into a plump berry and popped it into her mouth, savouring its sweetness.

“I’m glad you liked the tunic. If there is anything you want, please just ask me. I re-opened our joint account and you are on the Jedi-payroll again. I hope that wasn’t too presumptuous.” He lathered his hotcakes with sweet syrup.

“No. I thought a lot about it and I know my Luke would want me to be with you. I grieved for him, but those feeling were mostly for my own conscience.” She paused to take a bit of the fluffy breakfast cake. “He made the device that brought me here so that we would have a shot at peace. We never used it together because we were not sure if it would transport us together, but he wanted me to try when he died, and the device worked. It would upset him if I threw out this second shot out of loyalty to him. My only worry is Ben. He talked so highly of you when we met. It seems like you two have a great relationship.”

“We do. But our relationship has been changing for awhile, even before you came. He is a young man - a Jedi knight at that. Yeah, I’ll always be his father, but he hasn’t needed me to be there for him every day for quite awhile. He truly means it when he says he wants me to be happy. I think he feels a bit guilty for growing up and not needing me anymore. But I don’t want to hold him back.”

“You did a wonderful job raising him. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders.”

“Thanks, but I think his mother deserves most of the credit. The pregnancy alone with the coomb spores nearly killed her. But it was because of Ben that she was healed.”

Mara frowned in confusion, then reached out for him in the Force to show her what she meant. She saw, through his eyes, herself suffer though years of disease before the unborn Ben and Luke saved her.

“You were never infected?” Luke asked in confusion. “Before the war even started, Mara went on a diplomatic mission ceremony on Monor II to witness the accession of the Sunesi tenth priest-prince. Nom Anor,” Mara visibly tensed when he said the name, “Went disguised as a diplomat and infected everyone, including Mara, with a disease. She was the only one to survive.”

“No. Nom Anor,” she spat on the floor after saying his name. It was a habit: a tradition created by Jaina a lifetime ago. “Never bothered with such trivial worlds. As far as our intelligence gathered, he,” she spat again. “Spent the first year of the war Vong-forming Coruscant’s under-city using an… infection - a bioweapon, for the lack of better terms, that lied dormant for months. Later we called it the World Destroyer. Something was activated and billions died. Vong-growths spread over a day and that night the Vong ships were in the skies. We were to busy fighting them on other fronts to ever see it coming.”

Luke nodded. “Then our realties must have diverged even before the war.”

“I don’t want to figure out when. I don’t want to figure out that I was somehow to blame for everything turning to hell and Sith spit.”

“You weren’t. Honestly, Mara, it sounds like the Vong had a completely different strategy in your reality than in this one.” Pink then touched his cheeks. “I just want to know if we have the same memories of our honeymoon.”

“Why?”

“Because if you didn’t experience our first honeymoon to Dac, or our second honeymoon to the Karrish Mountain retreat, I would have to remedy these things.”

“Well, you are going to have to come up with somewhere different to take me,” she said, reaching out for his hand. He took it and together they relived the happiest times in her life. The fact that this man shared those memories with her, made Mara accept the situation so much more. Being with him was simply right.

Hours later, Luke found himself cuddling with Mara on the couch in the main hold. She sat with her feet under her bottom, leaning on him with his arms around her. They were watching a holo documentary that recounted some of the ‘defining’ moments since the fall of the Empire. They were watching the post-Yuuzhan-Vong war episodes. Luke was bored, but Mara seemed interested, so he focused on her: drinking her in, gently rubbing the calloused skin of her palm with his thumb.

As the credits began to appear on the view-screen, Mara asked, “Are you up for another episode?”

“Not really,” he replied, looking down at her with a smile.

She frowned. “Why not?”

“Because I don’t want to ruin our evening by reliving the Dark Nest crisis,” he said flatly.

She chuckled. “So you star in the next few episodes?”

“I don’t know how much they play up my part, but Jaina probably is in it quite a bit.”

“Alright, another time. When I want to torture you. I really like the guy they have to play you in the reenactments. He’s kinda hot.”

“You always knew what making me jealous does to me,” he said with a slight whine to his voice.

“Yeah, that is why I’m doing it,” she said with a laugh as she turned her body and slid onto his lap. He was shocked when she brought a warm hand up to cradle the back of his neck.

“Are you sure you are ready for this? Just because I am, doesn’t mean you have to be.”

“Luke,” she said, gently. “I’m ready for this.” With that, she kissed him.

That night, Luke found himself exhausted. He was unable to sleep, for fear this was all a dream. He was in bed, with his arm around his sleeping wife. Mara had slipped on a white nightgown and her hair was splayed across the blue sheets. Unable to help himself, he drew her closer and kissed her forehead.

She groaned. “Quit staring at me and go to sleep, Farmboy.”

“I’ll try,” he whispered softly back.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUGGGGGGGGGGGGGLES! Oh nummy! Eating pancakes with syrup and berries - delightful and the extra treats of lovely girly things and chocolate! Gotta have chocolate!

Interesting and true insights about Ben's and his dad's relationship. @};-

Fascinating how and in what details their realities diverged. Does seem like it was early early days.

LOL on the watching cheesy holodocs :p and the sweet basking afterwards. [face_love]
    He has earned the right to drink her in. [face_dancing]

5. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Glad to see it was just Mara pushing herself too far in typical fashion and there's nothing too wrong happening. She and Luke are slowly becoming a team just like they were with their other halves and it's lovely - I can see Mara wanting to catch up on the diverged history, and Luke preferring to watch her rather than the holo!

6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Love the relationship between Luke and Ben.=D= Their concern for each other is very touching.

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    love the talk about the differences and how Ben saved his mother

8. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    :eek: I am a horrible person and didn't comment. :_|

--I love her comment about being a "team"--but then Luke reminds her that they aren't at war anymore, so teamwork is different, and isn't always necessary!
    --I love that Luke bought her more stuff. I can totally see him doing that.
    --I like the divergent Vong invasions. Makes it feel totally AU in a 100% authentic way (if that makes sense).
    --Lovey time = [face_dancing] I love that Luke is so cautious. Always the gentleman.[face_love]
    --NOBODY LIKES DARK NEST!!! [face_sick][face_sick][face_sick][face_sick][face_sick] Thank you!!! Hahhhaahah bug huggers, for crying out loud....[face_laugh]

THIS!!!!![face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love] Oh my gosh love that. It's so Luke, it's so Mara. SO PERFECT!

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    LOL. I thought you would enjoy that updateQ

Me too! I love the image of Luke just watching her.

Thanks. I just love writing Luke and Ben!

Thanks.

No, no one likes the Dark Nest. Thanks!

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: AHHHHH! Thanks so much for reading and commenting everyone, and a special thanks to Irish_Jedi_Jade for betaing/cheerleading.

And, so here we are, at the end. This was one to those fics where this plot bunny just would not leave me alone, despite the fact that I felt that I didn't quite do it justice. I enjoyed writing it anyways.

Chapter 9

“Are you ready for this?” Luke asked, his hands dropping from the Jade Shadow’s controls and picking up her hand. She was in the co-pilot’s chair. She had let him land, but only because she had no idea where to land on the Jedi Academy. What Luke and the other masters had built on this planet was amazing, a true legacy to the Jedi Order.

“No.” She said, squeezing his hand. “I saw the Jedi die. So many of our friends are waiting out there. I feel them, yet I felt them all die. I saw many of them die. It’s strange.”

“And they were all at your funeral.”

“I know. I’m also worried about Ben.”

“I’m more worried about you living a domestic life. Domesticating you wasn’t easy the first time and I sure as not letting you run off on crazy Jedi missions.”

She rolled her eyes as she unclicked her crash-webbing. “I will do what I want, and that sure as chaos won’t be baking you snacks,” she said, poking in the gut as she got up and walked passed him.

He laughed and followed her, grasping her hand as they walked down the boarding ramp. There were only a few beings waiting for them in the late evening summer sun: Han and Leia, who were grinning from ear to ear; Jaina - looking she was about to give birth at any moment; and Ben. It saddened Mara not to see Jacen. She knew he had murdered the Mara of this reality, but the Jacen she knew had been a bright young man who ultimately sacrificed his life quite early in the war for many of his friends.

“Well, would you look at that,” Han said in a teasing tone. His hair was shocked with grey and white. He was wearing a dark blue shirt with his trademark vest. “Luke wasn’t making it up after all. He really did find a new Mara!”

Leia, dressed in a purple skirt and a white tunic, pushed Han’s shoulder. “Be nice.” She then turned to Mara. “Welcome. Luke told us everything, so we simply had to see…” she paused. “Meet? You.”

“Probably a bit of both,” Mara said, trying her hardest not to cry as she approached them. She had held Leia eight years ago as she died a slow death, an infection caused by a battle wound. Luke, Anakin and Jaina had been there as well as Leia lost her will to fight.

“I have missed you so much,” Leia said. “Can we?”

Mara nodded and embraced her best friend.

“I am glad you found you way here,” Leia said as they parted.

“But why you returned to Luke, I have no idea.” Han was jesting, but Mara could see the tears in his eyes.

She shrugged. “This version is only slightly more annoying than the one that was in my reality.” She then embraced Han. “Stars you look old.”

He frowned.

“You have been dead according to me for fifteen years. What I was trying to say is, it’s good to see you as an old man.” Mara then turned to the other two figures on the landing platform. She tilted her head at Jaina, who was in deep purple maternity robes, crying. Ben simply rolled his eyes.

“Hey, Mara,” he said, as she approached him.

Jaina instantly cuffed him as she sniffled. She was clearly holding back tears. “She’s your mom! Show her some respect.”

“It’s fine.” Mara shook her head. “I’m not his mother, but I’m happy he’s letting me in his life.” They never did discuss what he was going to call her, but she was fine with Mara.

“Is it okay if I still consider you my Aunt Mara?” she asked, her eyes filling with tears.

“Ignore her,” Ben grunted. “She has pregnancy brain.”

“Of course you can,” Mara said as Jaina stood and embraced her aunt to the best of her abilities.

“I’ve missed you,” Jaina murmured.

“I’ve missed you too.” They then separated.

“If we are done with welcomes, I have a dewbak roast in the cooker that should be just about finished,” Han said.

Luke then appeared at Mara’s side again. “Are you okay with having dinner with everyone?”

Mara nodded: a peaceful family dinner - it had been far too long since she had eaten one of those. She looked forward to the company and getting to know everyone in this reality.

After saying goodbye to his sister, Han and Jaina, Luke ensured the dining room was clean, then settled onto the couch with Mara. He then looked up at Ben, who had just finished putting the dishes in the scrubber. “You don’t have any plans tonight do you?” Luke asked his son.

Ben reached up and scratched the back of his head. “No, I was just go play a Xili game.”

“Join us,” Mara said, placing her hand on Luke’s shoulder. “We are watching some holo-documentary about your father and I’m going to mock him endlessly.”

“Is it the new one by Aberja? Apparently he takes many historical liberties.” Ben’s voice was all too excited for Luke’s liking.

Mara nodded.

“Sure,” he said, sitting beside his mother. “Actually, I’ve been meaning to ask you guys something Jaina made me think.”

“What?” Luke asked.

Ben then looked at Mara. “What do you want me to call you. Calling you Mara is just so damn awkward for me. You might not have raised me, but you still deserve my respect.”

Mara shrugged. “Call me whatever you want.”

“Maybe, can we try Ma?”

Luke chuckled.

Mara looked at Luke. “What?’

“Ben tried calling his mother that during his slang days when he was 11. He wore a Weequay bandana and called Mara ‘Ma’ and me ‘Pop-pops.’ I was glad the phase didn’t last long.”

“Well,” Mara said turning back to Ben. “I don’t mind ‘Ma’, and you should start calling your father that again.”

Ben laughed. “Dad, I like my new step-ma.”

Epilogue - 20 years later

“Luke! I swear to the stars that I will cut your hand off!” Mara screamed at her husband as she turned around to see him caught in his most heinous act. She might have been 83-years-old and her hair was pure white, pulled back in a tight plait, but she was still as menacing as the day she met Luke.

Luke turned around, his face full of guilt as he extracted his hand from the mixing bowl. Still, he licked the dollop of dough off of his finger. His face showed years of happiness, but his white hair showed years of stress.

“That dough is for the kids to cut and decorate cookies from,” she scolded him. “Besides,” she said, approaching him in the small kitchen and smacking his stomach with the back of her hand, “Someone is getting fat in his retirement.” She then went back to her task of preparing the icing packs when Luke’s arms wrapped around her.

She heard him sigh as he laid his head on her back. “Yet again, I have domesticated you.”

She elbowed him slightly in the ribs. “You did no such thing. My grandchildren have.”

As soon as she said that, their apartment door opened and three boys, ages nine and eight came running in the door, yelling, “Grandma! Grandpa!” All three had brown hair and blue eyes. The eldest, Jace, had a tooth missing and was eagerly showing his grandfather. The twins, Aku and Akin, curiously peered at what Mara was preparing.

Finally, Ben entered, looking tired. He was now forty, was sporting a neatly trimmed red bearded, Jedi robes in dark brown and a sleeping child in his arms.

Mara walked up to him and kissed the back of Lukia’s head. Her red curls were in a mess and she was clutching onto a stuffed bantha and a green blanket. “Nightmares again?” Mara asked softly, taking her 3-year-old granddaughter. Mara had always considered Ben’s four children her grandbabies.

Lukia slightly shifted after her grandmother had taken her, but did not wake.

Ben nodded. “Yeah, I was up all night trying to calm her. You know, I don’t have to go on this mission.”

“Nonsense,” Luke said, picking up a giggling Aku. “You’ve been wanting to visit Jaina for awhile now and helping her protect her brood of kids will give her a break on her vacation. Give her some alone time with Jag. She needs it. We want to take these four for two weeks.”

“Alright,” Ben said, sounding doubtful. He eyed Lukia as she began to wake. The child smiled up at her grandmother. Ben smiled at her. “Are you going to be good for Ma and Grandpa?”

The child nodded, then buried her face in Mara’s shoulder.

“Well,” Ben said. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you guys.”

Mara gave him a pointed look. “I’ve been the last being in a galaxy. I think I can handle four children.”

“Four grandchildren of Luke Skywalker?”

“Yeah,” she said, softly as she smiled down at Lukia. “I found my way here for a reason. That reason was so that I could put up with all of you.”

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    The reunion and /or meetings for the first/second time [face_dancing] in chapter 9 - all sweet and delightful. But the epilogue - SQUEE on the grandparenting a large bunch of grandlings. And that last line awwwwww. Mara with Lukia. :cool: :)

Thanks for sharing this wonderful second chance.

[:D]

Briannakin likes this.
  12. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    HOW DID I NOT SAY SOMETHING TO THIS!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? [face_beatup][face_dunno]:eek: I AM HORRIBLE!!

Oh Bri. I love this story so much. After all, that's why I cheer-led the *&F%$#@*^& out of you to finish it!!! :p I think I really just loved the idea of Mara being the last one in a galaxy of Vong. But more than that, I just loved how...they endured. They found each other. That's the greatest part of a true love story--they always find each other in the end [face_love] You're such an awesome writer and a great friend and I am so happy to be your evil twinnie.

Also, crying emotional Jaina and Ben rolling his eyes is my fav!!!!

13. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Aw, what a great ending! I love that this story morphed into your Lukia stories. Mara and Luke are happy and their lives have been fulfilled. They will welcome the end of their lives with grace since they have been fortunate to have had as much love and family as they could, a beautiful counterpoint to the beginning of the story where their lives ended in tragedy and sorrow.