main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Tolkien] Hither & Yon: An Eventful Sojourn in Middle-Earth DDC 2021 (Gandalf)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 7, 2021.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    and what a plan that is.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Seven--

A more inconspicuous participant I could not hope to find than a Hobbit, and one who might just embrace the idea of adventure... Who might that be? I pondered this and when I found myself in the Shire, one individual sprang auspiciously to my attention, a Bilbo Baggins, who had actually embarked from his cozy home fire to enjoy the Elven New Year festivities.

It was with keen anticipation that I visited Bilbo, assuring Thorin and the rest of his companions that we had found a worthy "burglar."

Unfortunately, the Dwarves did not endear themselves to Bilbo, as they proceeded to make short work of all the foodstuffs in his pantry, camping out in every spare space of his home.

However, Bilbo's curiosity was sparked by hearing legends and songs of grand adventures.

Thus, we were able to embark the following morning, as the flowers blossomed and birds sang along our path. We were headed towards the idyllic and tranquil valley of Rivendell.

3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    He so loves parties and especially elven parties! :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    with Bilbo joining the parties. Great. Take a curious hobbit and the adventure begins

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Eight--

It was a relief to reach Rivendell at last. Bilbo's reaction of delighted wonder was remiscent of my first exposure to this unsullied haven. We had struggled through many wild aventures en route, not the last of which involved seldom-seen Trolls. Thorin and company were glad to leave them behind, as was I, turned to literal stoneworks.

6. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Fun to see Gandalf´s PoV on these events.

7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    and more exciting moments coming after the trolls

8. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I am LOVING THESE! Gandalf is the best! :)

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    These last two entries were a joy to read - especially for that glimpse of Rivendell. What a haven, indeed. [face_love] =D=

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the great reviews. I adore Rivendell's serenity.

~~
    Nine --

It was necessary to make our way in haste as time was of the essence. En route, I arranged for Beorn--a shape-shifter to welcome and host the whole Company in his hall.

Beorn could be intimidating to say the least, and I could tell he made the entire company uncomfortable. But eventually they were won over and we passed a pleasant interval.

I then led the Company to the outskirts of the Forest Gate. Upon informing them I had pressing obligations elsewhere (a meeting with the White Council), I gave them parting admonition about things not to do upon entering Mirkwood.

They were understandably dismayed at my departure, and even though I felt no little qualms about leaving them so precipitately, it was necessary as dire events were threatening.

+++

Mira_Jade and brodiew like this.
  11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Another great update! I loved glimpsing Beorn at the Carrock. He's always been an intriguing character for me, and anything that puts Thorin's party on edge and challenges their POV is always a good thing. :p

Ha!! And like a parent leaving behind mischievous youngsters, we know how that's going to go! [face_laugh] 8-}

I can't wait to see the assembling of the White Council again! And the forthcoming assault on Dol Guldur. [face_thinking]

=D= [:D]

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great update. Gandalf away from the company? That's trouble ahead

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ten --

The meeting with the White Council went as well as might be hoped. There was a consensus eventually about dealing with the dark and looming threat. Even Saruman could not deny that action was crucial. Upon finishing our joint objective of dispelling the menace, my sense of equilibrium and accomplishment evaporated like morning mist as I got news that Thorin's company had met with misadventure.

+++

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    and he has to come to the rescue I think

15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    About time Saruman couldn't deny action was crucial. It's only been how many centuries now? :p o_O But of course Gandalf doesn't have the time to enjoy that sense of accomplishment for too long, with Thorin and company most definitely getting up to mischief and being met with misadventure in his absence . . . [face_laugh] :oops:

An excellent update! I look forward to reading more. :D =D= [:D]

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Eleven --

The folk in all the region were talking of the final defeat of the fearsome dragon Smaug and that his pilfered horde had been restored to the rightful owner. This gave me no little bit of satisfaction.

I followed the 'rumor trail' and found Thorin's company in triumph but being threatened by the Mirkwood Elves and the Lake-Men of Dale.

"I see you cannot continue long in my absence without falling neck-deep in trouble," I grumbled, only half-seriously.

Thorin frowned. "This treasure is long-sought and hard-won. I will not let any greedy folk get it in their clutches."

I answered sternly, "It is the Orcs and Wargs who will be coming to claim the treasure."

With this, he could not argue.

I wasted no time in inviting Dáin Ironfoot for council, and soon Dwarves, Elves and Men formed an alliance.

It was no easy task but our coalition defeated the Orcs of the Misty Mountains in what would later be sung of as the Battle of Five Armies.

Thorin was mortally wounded, so he did not live long to savor his victory. We lingered long enough to give funerary honors, and Erebor was ceded to Dáin.

Bilbo and I made our way to Rivendell for much-needed rest and Elrond and I spoke long of the current state of affairs.

"Much has been accomplished with the removal of Smaug, Orcs, and Wargs," Elrond remarked.

"Would that we could rid ourselves of the Dark One so easily." I said. "There can be no true peace until that threat is eliminated."

Mira_Jade and pronker like this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Dwarves are trouble for him but the big threat is still there. Great entry. Smaug was a formidable enemy

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Twelve --

The peace was transient. Sauron's power was resurgent. He rebuilt his stronghold. Because of this, the White Council met.

Saruman attempted to soothe our disquiet, claiming the Ruling Ring was lost, beyond the clutches of its Master or any who might unexpectedly find it.

Even though I hoped this was so, I had deep misgivings.

Not all was dark. During this interval of time, I met the Heir of Isildur, Aragorn, even though his true identity was hidden from most. He proved to be a stalwart, invaluable ally in all my searches and surveillance.

+++

Mira_Jade and pronker like this.
  19. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    That's so like Gandalf to be measured in his thinking, taking the bad with the good, always emphasizing the good.

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Saruman was bad for him but meeting Aragorn was nice

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thirteen --

I visited the Shire frequently, especially Bilbo Baggins, and his younger nephew, Frodo.
    I noted Bilbo's unusual youthfulness, despite his advancing age; I did not forget that Bilbo had found a "magic ring" and wondered if this might be the source.

Bilbo planned what would become known as his Farewell Birthday Party before departing for rivendell, and at the culmination of the hobbit's speech, Bilbo put on the mysterious ring and disappeared, perhaps intending it to be a joke on his neighbors.

Later as he was bidding farewell to me, Bilbo began to change his mind about leaving his ring to Frodo, as he had earlier agreed.

"If it is of no use or significance to you any longer, and it is becoming irksome to you, it would be best to leave it to Frodo as you earlier intended."

Bilbo then became hostile and accused me of trying to steal the ring for my own aims, which he referred to as his "precious."

Horrified by Bilbo's outburst--the content as well as the vitriole behind it--for a more mild-tempered person you could never find, I stood to my full height and projected my power, which brought Bilbo back to his senses.

"I'm sorry," Bilbo said, the fire leaving his eyes and tone. "The Ring has been weighing on me lately. You're right. It will be a relief to leave it behind."

He and I were able to bid each other farewell on good terms.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Nice - it's shivery to consider how close the ring came to exacting its price on Bilbo, one whose idea of being snarky consists of stating "I'm not at home!" to pesky callers...

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Bilbo could have been consumed by the ring. Gandalf could prevent it.
    Great entry

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    These updates have been wonderful! [face_love]

Wise words. =(( Even after seeing these relatively smaller evils put to rest, it's ultimately Sauron's defeat that hangs so heavy overhead.

Estel!!! [face_love] [face_love]

This was so beautifully expressed - to juxtapose the growing darkness you have these friendships and these lights. And in the end, that's going to be enough to hold back the dark. [face_love]

Wonderful work with this! I look forward to more. =D= [:D]

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fourteen --

Now began a period of setting things in motion and gathering facts.

This involved searching for and finding the status of the Ring.

The search eventually to the unfortunate creature called Gollum being held by the Wood-Elves of Mirkwood, rumors of war in Godor, and a looming shadow.

I came and went to the Shire, divulged many sobering things to Frodo and urged him to go to Rivendell as swiftly as might be.

"I will join you there as soon as circumstances allow."

After this talk, I received a seemingly urgent summons from Saruman.

I had no cause to doubt his intentions, so agreed to meet him at Isengard.

I enlisted the assistance of Barleyman Butterbur, proprietor of the "Prancing Pony."

I arranged with 'Strider' to meet Frodo there and thereupon wrote a letter to be given to Frodo upon his arrival at the hostel, as it was conveniently located on the byways to Rivendell.

I impressed uon Butterbur the urgency and seriousness of the matter.

"See that you do not forget!"

He promised me effusively that he would of course remember.