main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A Tom Veitch - 1942-2022

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Feb 18, 2022.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Has been reported by his brother to have died of COVID-19.

[​IMG]

Rest in Peace.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    Mandalore464, Slater, Ghost and 20 others like this.
  2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Rest In Peace Tom.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Horrible news. At least he and his contributions will live on in memory, and be remembered far into the future.

Too many creators have been passing away lately. It makes me feel old realizing that Veitch was 80, and that Dark Empire began over 30 years ago now.

I also can't help but wonder what will be the fate of the unreleased Lightsider story now...

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This is sad news. What a contribution he made to the GFFA.

TX-20, MercenaryAce, Vthuil and 6 others like this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Horrible news. RIP @};-

6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    He along with Zahn was one of the foundational creators of the EU. EU fans really owe him a lot. Anyways, let him rest in peace and I pray for his family's comfort.

Slater, Ghost, TX-20 and 12 others like this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh man. I keep thinking I should read the stuff he wrote, but haven't gotten around to it. Well, rest in peace.

8. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Rest in peace, Tom. Thank you so much for helping grow the myth and magic of this science fantasy world and for introducing a new generation to the expanded universe of Star Wars books and comics. Your work will never be forgotten.

Slater, MercenaryAce, Vthuil and 4 others like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What? Oh, he was 80? Covid? Dammit.

Sad, sad news.

Edit - On further reflection, had I not stumbled on that UK SW mag in 1993 that was publishing both Dark Empire and Classic Star Wars, would I have ever returned to SW? Possibly not.

Sure, I found the Zahn books later, but it was DE that was the hook.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

RIP to a great storyteller.

11. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    What a loss... so sad. May the Force be with him and his family now.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Not many things bring me back to this board these days.

This is absolutely one of them.

Tom was just as crucial to Star Wars as Zhan, and rarely was appreciated as such by many of the wider fandom/publishing world. He also collaborated with Lucas more than almost any other author was able to in the early EU days. Lucas helped him quite a bit with both Tales of the Jedi and even suggested the Emperor's return in Dark Empire. Look up the interviews. Tom was also the single focal starting point for the entire Old Republic era and all that's come from it (up to the latest SWTOR expansion which is the last bastion of the original EU even today).

Hell, you can go far enough to even call him the original Star Wars prequel writer, just as Zhan was known to be the most prolific sequel writer.

Star Wars just lost an absolute legend and one of the founding writers of the modern franchise. What a shame.

13. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Oh no. Another great author has left us. He will be remembered fondly and the great works he wrote will stand as a legacy for him. I'll always remember Dark Empire as one of my favorite Star Wars works.

Rest in peace, Tom Veitch. You created some of the greatest works in Star Wars and we will not forget you.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm glad he was able to see his Palpatine return concept get adapted into a mainstream motion picture and lived to see. I remember him taking it in good stride.

15. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Wow, awful news. Much love to his family.

TOTJ contains some of my favorite Star Wars stories. The era is my favorite era of all.

16. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    yeah this is truely sad. His work is great and under appreciated. TotJ is a great comic that started the longest era of star wars. Dark Empire is a great follow up to the movies.

17. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Inspired by some of the comments in here I went to Amazon to grab the TPB of Tales of the Jedi but was staggered at the price. Is there any reason for this?

RIP to Veitch, I haven't delved into his work nearly enough.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Probably because it was last in print nearly 30 years ago.

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I friggin' love Tales of the Jedi. The look, the characters, just how different it is from the 'modern' stuff. God, what he did for the EU. :( RIP and thank you.

20. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Why's that the case? I would have thought those things would get reprinted. Heck I walked into a bookshop the other day and they had new copies of Splinter of the Mind's Eye, why not old TPBs?

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Comic TPBs spend a very short time in print, unlike novel TPBs.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Man, this guy, the amount he added to Star Wars during it's dark times period was absolutely mindbending to me to read when I was like 12 or 13 where I read the (single issues!) of Dark Empire like a dozen times. Still sticks in my head this day.

"The walker falls."

23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Very sad news to hear, he contributed so much to Star Wars.

Its been reprinted since then but usually as part of other collections too (think I have some of the omnibuses in a closet somewhere). By now most of it is available in digital form too (if you don't mind that). Though doesn't help that it was Dark Horse back then and now Marvel has the license, so even moreso the actual physical copies are pretty rare.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    RIP.
    Love Dark Empire

25. Darth Vahvistaa

Darth Vahvistaa Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 17, 2022
    May his spirit haunt his works, specifically Dark Empire.