main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tomo-spiced karkana ribenes - the foodies' thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chyntuck, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yesterday I made tomato, basil, spinach soup. Also made some pistachio pesto which I put on my grilled cheese with smoked gouda, double Gloucester with stilton, bacon and sliced apple.

Best grilled cheese ever!

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    @Chyntuck:

Oops. Not sure if there's much difference in quality here, but I actually use McCormick's Grill Mates spices. I just looked at the bottle and my initial post was incorrect. It's the Steakhouse Onion Burger.

[​IMG]

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm also learning how to make delicious shrimp pasta.

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    What kind of Shrimp Pasta? My wife does a fantastic spicy pasta with shrimp (her spin on jambalaya that I mentioned earlier, though hers obviously includes other proteins).

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014

Now this is becoming complicated. I just googled "McCormick Greece" and it comes up with tractors and other farming vehicles :p I'm sure I'll figure out an equivalent though. Worst case scenario, I'll just put fresh ground onion. I think the variety of red onion we have here is stronger than onions in North America anyway (at least those I tasted.) Thanks!

6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    If you have easy access to fresh ground onion, I'd just go with that. I'm sure it's superior to the seasoning I use.

The seasonings in the recipe don't necessarily have to be written in stone, after all. Just as long as you can attain a similar flavor profile, the recipe will remain true.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Lemon shrimp

8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So you're sauteing the shrimp with lemon juice, or making a lemon butter sauce for the pasta?

9. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    hey have you guys ever been to olive garden? soooo good.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Okay, so this is the recipe to a Basque pintxo (basically like a tapa but with a toothpick to grab it) that I discovered on San Sebastian and that I make every time I can. It's an excellent party food.

Paprika Chicken Bites

First, we ready the marinade. We put in a bowl the following ingredients: 3 tbsp extra virgen olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tsp sweet paprika (I usually go with some delicious Spanish paprika my mom sent over), 1/2 tsp spicy paprika (my wife likes them better without this and I sometimes like to add some Sriracha for an extra kick, so your call), 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp powder garlic and 1 tsp dry thyme.

Then we cut two chicken breasts into small dices, enough for one single bite, and we add them to the marinade. You let the whole thing sit in the fridge for one hour minimum, and then you cook the chicken pieces in a pan with just a couple of olive oil drops. Medium-high to high and stirring often, until they get well cooked all around.

Finally, we make the pintxos themselves, piercing a couple of chicken bites with toothpicks like this:

[​IMG]

Serve on a tray or plate with some extra paprika on top for looks.

Delicious and exotic!

11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Can you give us a clue as to the continent? :p

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Ignore it. Olive Garden is a horrible chain here.

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Here

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    We are now discussing the suckitude of Olive Garden in two different threads. In other words, I love this forum.

Chyntuck, Juliet316 and Gamiel like this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Have to try this one one night. Thanks.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope you like it. Basque micro-cuisine is extremely rich and rewarding.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Daveed, am I also to understand from one of the people I chatted up in my laundry room in the building that one of (if not the best) restaurant in Basque country is owned by one of the primary high-ranking ETA members -- but the restaurant was always off-limits because so many foodie tourists went there?

Is something akin to that story true?

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    One of the best in the world, actually, if s/he was talking about Arzak. :p

There's some truth to that story. ETA did always get most of their money from extorting local businesses (a "revolutionary tax") in exchange for not touching their businesses. The hospitality and restaurant sector has always been accused of cheerfully collaborating with said tax, and many of the most important restaurants over there have always had the shadow of suspicion on them. It's not that surprising: there's a long tradition of high taverns being used as social clubs among the independentist youth.

EDIT: Apparently you don't have the "high tavern" term. It's basically traditional, popular food but made with the best possible ingredients and with modern recipes. Think fancy hamburger places.

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That may have been it, actually, now that you're talking about it -- whomever I was speaking to said it was a once in a lifetime meal kind of thing.

And we soooooooooooort of have place like the "high tavern" thing, but it's primarily chef-driven rather than anything else. For example, Bill Telepan does a lot of that. Daniel Boulud also does some similar things in addition to his ridiculously good classical items.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I love that kind of place.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Like the 'gastropub' concept?

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You should visit! And tell me what kind of food you and siha want to eat and we shall go there!

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I was thinking the same thing.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, it might be a similar thing.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Too much of their food tastes the same. Blaahhh.

Chyntuck likes this.