main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tomo-spiced karkana ribenes - the foodies' thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chyntuck, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    There are several variants of Carbonara even in Italy. As a general suggestion, that is valid no matter what you choose, I recommend to

1) absolutely avoid garlic
    2) avoid also cream, but it's less crucial.
    3) not cook the eggs. They must not become scrambled.

---The way I do it is with the red part of eggs, approximately one every 800 g, plus one. So for two people I'd use three eggs. Of a small fraction of the eggs some people leave the white part.
    ---Traditionally, the cheese should be grated pecorino, but parmigiano works decently as well. I stir it with the eggs and a little bit of salt in a bowl. In the bowl I also add pepper. Some people just add it at the end.
    ---the meat should be guanciale, but also pancetta works fine. I don't know the proper translation in English. I'm not sure "bacon" is correct. There is no need to add oil when you cook it in a cooking pan, providing that the pan is of decent quality.

Proceed as follows. Put the pasta (I suggest one of the following brands: Barilla, De Cecco, Voiello) in boiling water + a punch of big salt (big graines I mean) and leave it for the minutes written in the box. Meanwhile cook the guanciale until it takes a bit of color and prepare the bowl with eggs+pecorino+pepper.
    When the pasta is ready, strain it and put it in a bowl (not in the same pot you used to cook it because it's too hot), together with the guanciale and the eggs you prepared. Stir a little bit so that the pasta has contact with the sauce.
    The end.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Another reason I love living in the Bay Area, and that's it's one of the best foodies places in the country.

San Francisco Named The 2nd Best Foodie City In America

Master_Lok likes this.
  4. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Eater.com thinks California rates above NY.

I am perfectly fine with that, as I do not eat 95% of what all these great restaurants in NY offer.

The Bay Area has been a foodie hub for decades, rightly so. Maybe I’ll get back there one day if I can deal with being on a plane for 6 hours.

*Sigh* local supermarket chain delivery is threatening to cut me off from delivery because I’ve apparently requested credit for not good produce too many times. Considering what I went through with food poisoning this summer, I do not have other options.

The other place that delivers has subpar product all the time. And the store where my mom was an employee is not being clear on tabs (what we owe or not) and cannot deliver during my schedule.

Am I supposed to pay for moldy rotten avocados or frozen cucumbers? No.

Do they have a business to run? Yes.

I just politely lowered the health issue boom on them since I cannot do heavy lifting shopping at their nearest store (meaning more than 2 bags worth).

So...it is frustrating. I get it that the store needs to make their money and don’t like to be told to issue credit or a refund, but if that was me I’d be darned sure to go through every customers delivery order carefully.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And supermarket delivery solved. They did not want to lose my business, apologized profusely and are taking steps to ensure future produce deliveries are in much better condition.

Whew!

Oh, do not eat corn flakes, non-organic dehydrated strawberries and unsweetened, vanilla almond mylk. Bland cubed... I thought the tang from the strawberries would cut through everything, nope.[face_sigh]

And I think my veggie status -which pescatarian anyway- has been revoked. Why would I read a Vegetarian magazine and eat chicken while doing so?!?o_O

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    @Master_Lok -- where are you in NYC? PrimeNow is now doing Whole Foods, and there are at least two online delivery services...

7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @dp4m nice! I live close to the whole foods of Harlem. I should try to use the delivery service.

Master_Lok likes this.
  8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks, but actually, Long Island. Not a fan of my town so I just concentrate on NYC food instead.

And I work in the City.

Delivery here was either Peapod who are an epic fail with produce, or working it out with King Kullen, which I did.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Master_Lok likes this.
  10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @dp4m - late answer. I work in midtown. Given the iffy food and enzyme supplements deliveries I’ve gotten from Amazon, I am a little skittish to try delivery from Whole Foods now, but thanks so much for all the heads up.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Three Aussie foods included in Sweden’s Disgusting Food Museum
    [​IMG]

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I like Twinkies, and I've had haggis (not bad but I wouldn't want it every week). I'd have to add Marmite to the list though.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Being of Filipino descent I know the "boiled duck egg with a partially developed foetus from the Philippines" is called balut. It's been featured in reality game shows like Fear Factor and IIRC, Survivor. I know parents ate it, as well as my older brother and sister. The brother said chewing is it is difficult because of the beak. However, that's when they were kids. They wouldn't eat it today. I've never eaten myself.

EDIT: Never a fan of Twinkies myself. I did enjoy Hostess' Ding Dongs, Ho Hos and Cupcakes.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Master_Lok likes this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think that would be off my menu as well - doesn't appeal at all. I do like duck though - have had duck breast and legs.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Gingerbread Masterpiece

[​IMG]

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Tapas plate at the Ethnographic Museum in Stockholm, a.k.a. my lunch earlier this year

[​IMG]

It was really good, as long as you have no problem with spices, and surprisingly filling.

19. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i hard boiled an egg this morning! wooo!

20. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    macaroni not quite ready yet

not yet

no no no

harpua likes this.
  21. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's St. David's Day again. So...

WELSH COOKIES

½ cup (1 stick) butter 1 tsp. cinnamon

1 cup shortening 6 cups flour

2 cups sugar 6 tsp. baking powder

3 eggs ½ cup milk

1 tsp. salt 1 cup raisins or currants

1 tsp. nutmeg

Mix together butter, shortening, sugar, eggs and milk. Sift together and add dry ingredients. Add raisins and mix. (A heavy-duty mixer comes in handy for this; dough is stiff.) Roll out dough to about 1/8" and cut into circles. Bake as you would pancakes on a 400° electric griddle. Do not overbake; they don't take long to brown and overbaking makes them hard as a rock. Watch carefully and you will see them begin to puff up in about 1 ½ minutes and that means it's time to turn them. The second side will take only about 1 minute. They will be soft but as they cool on a rack they harden a little. Makes about 6 doz.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    That Sausage looks like E.T. hand. (I'm not complaining, says the rare Non-E.T. fan).

I've been all but mainlining freeze-dried strawberries and blueberries lately.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've....been making mac and cheese :(

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That ain't a sausage. It's a chicken foot

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  25. Master_Lok