main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tomo-spiced karkana ribenes - the foodies' thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chyntuck, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm thinking it might actually be underkneading or that the yeast isn't evenly spread in the dough. Since I know that mum hates baking I'm thinking she might have just thrown everything together without hardly kneading it at all.

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I had a talk to my mother to have her explain how she used to do the dough, and I'm pretty sure that I found her mistake. According to the recipe you should more or less make a pre-dough, and then fold in all the fruit and grounded almonds. Mother said that she just mixed everything together. Without that pre-dough I'm pretty sure that it is impossible to build up any gluten and that would explain why her dough has never risen. I couldn't help myself so I still made the pre-dough, and it looks yummy, but it's not going to be my mother's stollen.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone ever do baked ribs in the oven? Our grill is on the fritz so I have to improvise. The google search consensus is a slow cook around 275 degrees for 2-3 hours covered. I have it all seasoned and cooking as we speak. I'll finish it off with adding the sauce and using the over broiler to carnalize it.

Anyone have any personal recommendations?

Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Do you have an actual slow-cooker / crock pot? That's where I typically do mine. I'm going to try and smoke some on the grill next time.

If you're doing it in oven, try putting it on a rack with 1-2c of liquid (water/stock/etc.) with dried onion and/or garlic powder in it to steam through. 200 degrees for about 6+ hours. I think that's roughly equivalent...

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I rub them with spices (no particular mix, it's very much a choose-your-own-adventure thing) and wrap them in aluminium foil to bake them at 150°C (300°F) for 3 hours. That will give you super-tender, fall-of-the-bone ribs and you won't lose a single drop of the juices. The downside is that you need to chill them before you can take them out of the foil or they will disintegrate. I then boil down the juices into a glaze (again, choose your own adventure, I add apples or tomato sauce or BBQ sauce or even *gasp* ketchup) and use that to lacquer them before I broil them.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I’ve done them covered in a dish with vegetable stock to sort of steam them, and wrapped in foil, so you should be fine. I second adding some onions and garlic.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's a good point.

I do a VERY basic spice dusting (any pork-based BBQ rub as a sprinkle will work, or just paprika / salt + any combo of black pepper/celery salt/garlic/cumin) and then baste on a BBQ sauce over the spice dusting (basically not too thick and not too thin, hence the brush-on) when I cook them.

Chyntuck and Lady_Belligerent like this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone for the input.
    They came out pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay, that's a major difference, because I don't do "basic" :p I put EVERYTHING in there, salt and pepper and sugar and garlic and onion and oregano and paprika and cumin and mustard powder, the works. As in, I rub them with enough spices that my fingers will be coated in a thick crust by the time I'm done. But TBH, I realised during the lockdown (you know, when we were swapping recipes with friends and neighbours all the time) that I really gravitate towards foods that have strong flavours. But then, this is the country where we need a head of garlic to make tzatziki, so I guess that's par for the course. Luckily my husband and the kids also like strong flavours, so we're all getting along :D

@TiniTinyTony Those look awesome, what did you put?

10. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's what I do for my pulled pork; that's what goes on the outside (and inside any crevices I can find). Just not ribs!

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and brown sugar. I added water to a small pan per @dp4m suggestion to add some steam to the oven.
    After 2.5 hours, I unwrapped the tinfoil, but on the bbq sauce on top and turned on the broiler to caramelize it.

My wife, who's not a big meat eater, loved it so I take that as a big win.

Chyntuck and dp4m like this.
  13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Good timing..I've been looking at the best sushi restaurants in Ginza, which is the part of Tokyo I'll be staying in in May. I'm already salivating about it

Gamiel, Chyntuck and Alpha-Red like this.
  15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Here's a few more if you've got the time:

Basically, don't mix wasabi with soy sauce (I did this for a loooong time). For rolls, just dip a little corner into soy sauce, and eat the whole piece in one bite. For nigiri, the raw fish slabs on top of the little rice loaves, you turn it upside down and dip a small corner of the fish only into soy sauce...don't touch rice to the sauce. Also eat the whole thing in one bite. For sashimi, put a little wasabi on it (or don't, if you don't like wasabi), then dip a small corner into the soy sauce. And eat it in one bite.

Some bonus tips: eat a small piece of ginger in between each piece to cleanse your palette. And ideally start with lighter fish, then work your way to the darker and more fatty ones.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  16. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    The trick is the 'one bite.' Some sushi chefs in the States cut those things BIG.

17. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I request mine cut small, and that makes a big difference. Otherwise there’s no way.

Chyntuck likes this.