main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Tomorrow Can Wait - *New Post* 20th Nov: FINISHED AT LAST!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Well, as promised I have posted! Don't all collapse in shock! But I have the last laugh because I have decided that this will be the penultimate post! :p To explain, this story was meant to finish up with Evla's death (which is why I was struggling in many ways to continue with it). However, there is more of the story left to tell. These will continue in the form of more managable snapshots, and will touch upon the scattering of Evla's ashes, Obi-Wan's friendship with Corey and what happens on Jemmy's return. In the meantime please enjoy this second last chapter! :D

True to their word the healers allowed Jemmiah to return home later that afternoon.

Inasmuch as it was a home, she thought as she looked out of the window and across the vast, unending skyline of Coruscant. Home was where the heart was, and that heart had disappeared with Evla. However, she knew that she owed it to her late guardian to look after the place as best she could, for whilst Jedi did not take pride in possessions in the way that Jemmiah did, the crèche master had been extremely fond of the comfortable nest she had created with her 'daughter'. She couldn't bring Evla back but the least Jemmiah could do was to live her life in a way that would make Evla proud. What better memorial would there be than that?

She should be resting. Gethin had warned her not to overdo things, but somehow the thought of staying idle made her restless and more inclined to dwell on her losses. There was so much to do before she and Rela could leave on their vacation. Poor Rela had all but bounded away, happy with the idea that she was not only going on a proper excursion but that she was going to be of some use to her friend. Rela's unfailing support continued to amaze and touch Jemmiah, for in her heart of hearts should couldn't begin to fathom why she should be worthy of it, especially given the Kaligari nightmare that had come so close to not only destroying so many friendships but lives, too.

She came out of it stronger, though. Jemmiah reminded herself with a sigh. So did Obi-Wan. Now I'm more aware than ever of how weak I am in comparison.

The only thing Rela had not been relishing was informing Simeon that she would be going away. In the same way Jemmiah was dreading delivering similar tidings to Obi-Wan. It never paid to get your hopes up where personal aspirations were involved: Jemmiah had long since learned this. The Jedi were not supposed to have any thoughts for ones self, they existed to serve others. Even although the council had, over the years, been bafflingly accommodating where she was concerned - a mystery in itself that left Jemmy extremely wary - they had viewed her relationship with Obi-Wan with a faint degree of tolerance. The double standards from those up high were perplexing and irritating. It was as if there was some secret reason that they allowed them some leeway that perhaps would not have been granted to others in the same circumstance. A jedi did not pledge himself to another.

Yet Qui-Gon had changed that when he'd taken on the council regarding her staying at the temple. When he had won, for reasons Jemmiah could not understand, they had accepted to a degree that the inevitable attachment, which the Jedi sought to remove from their life, would follow. Perhaps this was why they had been on the whole benevolent towards Obi-Wan and herself. Yet the reason behind that first decision continued to plague her. What was so special about her? Why had they allowed her to stay? What was it about her future that held their interest?

And would it be enough to keep her there?

She'd sent a message to Evla's family informing them of her intention to visit, asking if it were okay for Rela to accompany her. The reply had been almost instant and accommodating in the extreme. Collectively they had always welcomed her, treating her with the same affection a real grandchild might expect. In many ways she had played Qui-Gon off against her Uncle Kelik, something that the pai

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Sometimes, I hate you for making me cry at moments like that. I had the weirdest AU dream involving Jemmy dying last night and I totally needed a post with Ben being that perfectly sweet.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh my, that was just perfect. It's a relief that she may find some sort of closure and that OBi-Wan is okay with her going.

Another wonderful post Jem. [:D]

4. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    It had been a rather understated, simple farewell. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had accompanied both girls to the spaceport and waited with them until it had been time to depart. As the final hugs and pleasantries were exchanged the padawan had whispered in Rela's ear for her to keep an eye on Jemmy as best she could. Rela for her part, delighted that Obi-Wan had stepped aside to put Jemmy's wishes first, had readily nodded her agreement. The red haired girl was still palpably thrilled at the prospect of a real vacation but was suitably mindful of the real reason behind their journey, and resolved to be as subtle and unobtrusive a presence as she could possibly be.

As Jemmiah had walked up the ramp to the transport she'd glanced uncertainly over her shoulder towards Obi-Wan, bidding him a silent goodbye. In reply he had raised a single hand, offering both Rela and Jemmiah a reassuring wave before the doors had closed behind them: the transport slowly lifting on its repulsars, heading gradually towards the skies. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon followed the vehicle with their eyes until it became nothing more than a small dot upon the horizon?and then finally faded from sight.

Obi-Wan pondered a moment upon that last, haunted look that Jemmiah had thrown him. What had she meant by it, he wondered? Had it been a final moment of regret that he was not accompanying her? Was the true enormity of Evla's loss slowly starting to sink in at long last? Or was it something else: a silent plea for him to be constant?to be there for her when she returned? Grimly, Obi-Wan's thoughts returned to Lauria, and what had very nearly happened that dreadful, alcohol-filled evening in her father's cantina.

He'd made a vow to the Jedi, to Jemmiah and to himself. He would never allow anything like that to happen again.

It wasn't the first time he'd felt something for somebody. There had been others before Jemmy, although nothing of a lasting nature to make the council feel so much as a twinge of anxiety. There had been Siri, although only in terms of thought and not deed: her strong personality and firebrand wit captivating him as they had grown and found their feet as padawans. Jemmy was different in many respects. He sometimes felt as if he had known her from before they had even met, as if the force had somehow connected them and destined that they be together. Above all things Obi-Wan wanted to make sure she was protected and safe, just as he had when she had been little more than a child.

Rela would do an admirable job in his absence, he had no doubt. And she wouldn't interfere or cloud Jemmy's thinking the way that his presence might have. He sighed, wondering if he would ever be able to strike the correct balance between friend, companion, protector and lover. No wonder the Jedi had forsworn attachments?

A hand fell upon his shoulder.

"Come, padawan. It's time to leave." Qui-Gon's voice stirred him from his reverie. "I have an errand to run of sorts. You may return to the temple if you wish."

Obi-Wan frowned. "An errand? Where?"

"A visit to the Chancellor. He was good enough to grant me some of his time before more pressing matters of state needed his attention. I fear that you might find the conversation a touch dull, given your dislike of politicians, but if you wish to attend then by all means you may accompany me."

Distasteful as the prospect of political dialogue seemed, Obi-Wan smiled at Qui-Gon.

"I'll go with you, master." He replied dutifully. "As I always do."

Finis Valorum offered his friend a seat, gesturing with his hand at the comfortable looking black leather chair opposite him. His hair was beginning to grey rapidly now, Qui-Gon thought as he sat down, regarding his friend with a casual air. Burdened with the cares of the galaxy, as in many ways he himself was in his capacity as a Jedi, Qui-Gon reasoned that the premature ageing of the sharp-witted and intelligent Chancellor was in no small part down to pressures of office. Success usually came at a price and there was no doubt that whil

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    :mad: Arrrghhhh.... I cannot believe believe after that conversation with Qui-Gon, that Valorum would have the nerve... the selfish gall to be thinking of contacting Jemmiah! :mad:

Absolutely brilliant end... though I hate that it's ended. Thank again so much dear firend for a wonderfully engaging story! [:D]

*goes off mumbling obsceneties at Valorum*

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Jemmy, I'm so happy with the way this story turned out and I thank you for writing it. I wanted to strangle Valorum in that last scene very badly. And Corinne and Jemmiah are a lot alike. Good for Obi-Wan to have a friend at this time.

7. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Valorum! You are such a dirty old man! [face_frustrated] Even when Qui-Gon warned you to stay away from Jemmiah you decide against taking his advice. Bad move buck-o! [face_shame_on_you]

I was delighted to see not one but two posts on this when I visited this morning. I couldn't think of a better way to start my day! Jem, you know that your writing still amazes me to this day. I look forward to every post you make. [face_love]

I loved Jemmy trying to stay busy so she wouldn't think about her loss quite as much for the moment. The trip to Florizan will be such a good thing for her to be as normal as possible, even if it's just for a short while. I'm still a bit concerned about the fact that she knows Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are hiding something from her and I'm of two minds if they should tell her or not. What good would it really go for her to know except cause her to retreat inside herself at the knowledge Merdan was out there, but on the other hand it's also something she not just needs to know but deserves to know.

A fabulous and long awaited ending. Now I'm looking forward to the more managable snapshots that will add to it! ;)

EDIT: You know if I could spell, I'd be quite dangerous.

8. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000
    A wonderful end to the story sis! :) Although I do want to treat Valorum as a punchbag. He knows why Jemmy's going there, yet he puts his own selfish, devious reasons first.

I'm looking forward to the snapshots now! :)

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    *kicks the cradle-robber*

EXCELLENT ending, Jem! :D Can't really add anything that wasn't already said here. Bravo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.