main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Top 3 Darth Vader Movie moments

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Love SW2012, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Love SW2012

Love SW2012 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2020
    What are your top 3 favorite Darth Vader film moments? These are mine:
    1) When I 1st heard that Darth Vader was going to be in Rogue One, I thought the scene were he chokes Director Krenic was going to be his only appearance. I was so excited when he made a second appearance. This is arguably the best Star Wars scene period.

The scene begins, the rebel defenders set up a formation, staring into the void of darkness, then you here the breathing and Vader ignites his lightsaber (this a great visual as well). You think oh you guys are in trouble. Then Vader ripps through the rebel defenders like they are nothing. The surprise and what makes the scene so great besides the awesome action is that it creates and shows the great fear that Darth Vader instills in his enemies.

2) Not necessarily my favorite scene, but it has to be on the list because it also illicits an emotional response. If you are ever watching Episode III with a group of people or its on in a room with a group of people don't watch the scene, but the other people in the room. When the mask starts to lower and eye holes glow red the mask goes over his head and he takes the 1st breath. The room is dead silent and everyone is watching this moment with awe or reverence or something. Maybe it's such a significant moment in the franchise, but reverence given to the scene by all who watch it, have to have it in the top 3.

3) My personal favorite moment, or the one that haunts me the most is in Episode II. It's when Anakin and Padme talk after he has slaughtered the Sand people.
    "I killed them, I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them. And not just the men, but the women and children too. They were like animals and I slaughtered them like animals, I hate them."
    Yoda said, once you start down the dark path, forever will dominate your destiny, the actual beginning of Anakin's path to the Dark side.

Honorable mention:
    Empire Strikes Back, Luke has just landed on the platform after Vader had him swept out the window. He is walking along looking for Vader, and out of nowhere, Vader comes out with a light saber swing at Luke's head, it adds an intensity to scene, that Vader might actually kill him (side note this is sorely missing in all of Rey and Kylo's battles in TROS, as we know Ren does not want to kill her). It shows that Vader is definitely the type to throw at his son in a father son baseball game.
    Feel free to argue or leave your top 3 Vader Movie moments, all opinion so right or wrong answers enjoy.

2. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    There's too many to choose so I'll just pick one from each of the OT movies.

1. (TESB) The Bespin Duel
    2. (ANH) Vader's entrance at the beginning of the movie
    3. (ROTJ) Vader killing the Emperor and his subsequent death scene

I appreciate how each of these movies changes our view of Vader in some way.

CampOfSorgan and Sarge like this.
  3. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    1. ROTS- the cold calculating look Vader gives as he chokes Obi Wan pushing him backwards in the control room. The ruthless countenance is awesome. Love watching presuit Vader fight this way and definitely would have been cool to see more. He's at his best when he is aggressive and afraid of no one.

2. ROTS- the kick to the face and then the stalk on the platform after the control room scene. Then again right before they clash head to head, Vader punches Obi Wan and aggressively stalks him again.

3. ROTS- the arrival on Mustafar and the killing of the separatists. The back handed deflection is bad ass and so are his yellow eyes as he turns around afterwards.

Honorable Mentions
    ROTS- the first breath in the suit
    ROTS- force imploding the room
    ROTS- Jedi Temple March- the music makes this one
    Rogue One rampage- not sorry, I love Vader in beast mode.
    ROTJ killing Palps
    TESB Duel/Deflecting Han's blaster shots
    Rebels- Manhandling Kanan and Ezra- pushing the walker off himself
    Fallen Order- Dispensing with Cal and Cere

Count Yubnub and Deliveranze like this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    1. TESB - "The Force is with you, young Skywalker... but you are not a Jedi yet."
    2. ROTJ - Killing Palpatine and saving Luke.
    3. RO - His entrance on Mustafar. First him in the tank, showing how broken he is, followed by the intimidating shadow on the wall, Indiana Jones-style.

Honorable mentions:
    ROTS - Marching on the Jedi Temple
    RO - You know which scene I mean. :p
    ANH - "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
    TESB - His first appearance in the film - just standing there, looking out into space while the Imperial March is playing.
    ROTJ - Him and Luke talking on Endor, where the first cracks of humanity are starting to show.
    TFA - This one barely counts, I know, but the scene when Kylo is talking to the Vader mask, showing the legacy of Vader, the influence his darkness has, even though he both returned to the light and died.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  5. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    My three Darth Vader moment all come from The Empire Strikes Back. I think that this film have Vader at his most ruthless and wicked appearance, and as a villain, he is brilliant for it.

1. Vader choking his officers
    Darth Vader show just how much of a feared individual here by being able to choke Ozzel to death and not even be in the same room. His sarcastic line to Captain Needa “Apology accepted Captain Needa” after he kill him is just so cold.

2. Vader's plan
    I like how Vader has this elaborate plan to trap Luke on Cloud City, and how he calmly get the carbon freeze ready and lies in wait for Luke. Lando is frantic and panicking and Boba Fett is just hanging in the background waiting to take Han Solo. Vader act cool though and not get flustered.

3. Vader and Luke duel
    I think that Darth Vader looks really terrifying in that Carbon Chamber. He is like a huge black apparition of evil. He is a silhouette against the lighting, and calmly try to execute his plan. I love later that he become frustrated with Luke fighting back and cut his own son hand off to end the battle. Then when Luke is physically beaten to a pulp and maim, he then psychologically devastate him with his revelation.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Another great Vader moment, one of the most suspenseful IMO, was at the end of ESB when the Falcon jumped to hyperspace. I'm sure that was the longest moment in Piett's life, standing there frozen in fear, waiting for the inevitable choking to begin. And Vader slowly and silently walks away.

7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    My favourite Vader moment actually comes from The Force Unleashed II, of all things. It's this scene:

"As long as she lives, I will always control you."

One line, that's all Vader needs to have full control of the situation, even as he's imprisoned. The concept of Vader having some chessmaster aspects is one that TFU plays up in full, and I for one love this more calculating side to him.

I'm also very fond of the 'birth' scene in ROTS. Anakin struggling to stay alive, even as his body is nothing but a ruined husk, brought back by the terrible science as a Frankenstein's monster, brought to his lowest.

As for scenes in the OT, I can't really pinpoint a singular moment among the rest. I suppose I'd go with the scene in ESB where he contacts the Emperor (in the SE at least) is an interesting glimpse in the cracks in his facade, as he and his master vie for control of the situation and Vader lies through his teeth.

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Not sure I can place a Top 3. But I really like this scene from ESB: "Perhaps you think you are being treated unfairly?" Just a great line and delivery. Shows that Vader isn't a villain who has to resort to violence to make a point.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    wobbits and Sarge like this.
  9. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    top three... impossible
    hallway - rogue one
    not a jedi yet - empire
    entrance - a new hope

another 3

he is not as forgiving as iam... jedi
    in the tank - rogue one
    sealed in the suit - rots

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  10. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    -His first entrance appearance in Episode IV.

-Everything he says/does in Episode V. One could narrow that down to the lightsaber duel/ "I am your father."

-Seeing him be placed in the suit in Episode III.

Honorable mention: Rogue One hallway massacre.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    In chronological order:

1. ROTS - Leading the 501st up the steps of Jedi Temple
    2. ESB - Defeating Luke on Cloud City / parentage reveal
    3. ESB - His last moment in the film after the Falcon escapes, choosing not to kill Piett, and leaving in defeat.

12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    1. Hallway scene in Rogue One
    2. Bespin duel in TESB
    3. Destroying the Emperor to save Luke in ROTJ

If shows were allowed then his duel with Ahsoka would be #1.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  13. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Are you only referring to the period of Anakin's tenure as Darth Vader?

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    1. Pledging himself to Palpatine and officially becoming Vader
    2. Conversation with Luke after the latter surrenders on Endor
    3. Vader's wry "as you wish" to Tarkin

Anakin Skywalker moments would be different. They are what really define the character for me.

15. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Pretty much all of ESB

cubman987 and CampOfSorgan like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    1. I am your father
    2. The ESB duel itself
    3. The hallway scene in R1

17. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    One of my favorite Vader moments apparently got altered and I'm still unsure as to why.

In ESB, the scene after the parentage reveal, Vader is leaving Cloud City followed by a stormtrooper contingent. Originally, he issues one brief, terse command, "Bring my shuttle". It's his tone as he said it though that I liked, so mad and full of anger, reflective of his emotional state immediately after Luke's escape. A small moment yes, but one I thought showed some great character and flair.

Now though, for whatever reason, that single line of dialogue has been changed. Same scene but now his dialogue is some long-winded sentence that basically amounts to have my shuttle on stand-by. But his tone is completely different, more relaxed, almost nonchalant, devoid of any anger really. For me, it ruined the whole emotional beat of the original scene.

BlueYogurt, Bee Bee and Sarge like this.
  18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    1. The "I am your father" reveal.
    2. The battle with Luke in the throne room.
    3. Hallway scene in Rogue One.

19. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    I believe the new line is; "Alert my private band to play my theme music on my arrival"

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    His best overall film. The meeting with Krennic and the hallway scene match that quality.

CampOfSorgan likes this.