main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph TOP GUN 2 (now with 100% more jon hamm)

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jun 1, 2018.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He could have. During WW2 he spent a long time test flying fighters away from the front lines, and he used to practice low-level aerobatics while strafing ground targets. One of his favorite maneuvers was flying over the bullseye, pulling up into a loop, and shooting the target as he was pulling out of the loop. Two meter exhaust port? Piece of cake for Bob Hoover. :cool:

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fixed.

Alpha-Red and Sarge like this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I can't remember a movie having better legs (staying power) than Maverick. Not in years anyway. Dances with Wolves? I know Raiders played in my local theater for well over a year.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I heard E.T. was in theaters for over a year and Star Wars was in for 44 weeks or something.

Would Rocky Horror Picture Show count as the longest ever cause that gets shown in a theater somewhere every week right?

It is very impressive that Maverick is still being screened; wish that happened more often.

Juliet316 and christophero30 like this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Titanic

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I believe it has been in theaters continously since 1975.

Feel sorry for whoever gets to clean up after those midnight showings, tho.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ignoring any pre-multiplex/national roll-out releases like ANH, pretty much Titanic, Avatar, Black Panther and maybe TFA would qualify as having such legs. Pretty much any film that was able to take advantage of an xmas release leading into a deadzone Jan/Feb. Titanic being the most surprising of that category at the time (unlike Maverick, no one expected Titanic to even break even). BP had surprise legs running from Feb right up through last minute catch-ups for Infinity War 2 months later, for a different type of example.

Maverick is definitely taking advantage of another release lull resulting from the pandemic and rushing out so many films into the key release windows with little to bridge them.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Home Alone. A Christmas film that was still in the top 10 come late spring or summer.

10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Guidman Good call and surprised nobody brought up the original Top Gun. That came out in mid-May 1986 and was in the Top 10 until December of that year. But to me @dp4m is correct. Titanic just seemed to kept going and going has it's original theatrical run went from basically Christmas 97' (think it open a week or so before it) to Fall 98'. That whole movie was just like a cultural phenomenon that really seems unmatched in modern times even with films like End Game and TFA given not only how long it ran for but also how popular the song was obviously that just feed into that cultural phenomenon. Didn't help either a girl I was seeing at time loved the film and Leo therefore I heard on that end too. It should been a sign we weren't meet for each other which included free admit, she was way too attractive for me. To the point my wife still teases me I dated her for awhile going "I still cannot she dated you, she must have been slumming!".

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, Titanic wasn't topped at the box office until the first week of April when Lost in Space hit. Then the following weekend City of Angels (the Nicolas Cage/Meg Ryan romance drama, not the sequel to The Crow) was a surprise, massive #1.

Then Titanic took back the #1 spot the following weekend for Easter [face_laugh]. Then City of Angels duked back with another big weekend. It was an amusing box office focus at the time, given Titanic's streak.

Looking up at BOM, looks like Titanic didn't exit the Top 10 until the 3rd week of June (still w/ $1m that weekend). Then it finally dropped below $1m for a three weekends before returning to the $1.1-$1,5 range for the next three weekends (last three in July). Then it finally cuts out at the end of Sept.

Then, 14 years later, the 3D rerelease came in 3rd over Easter weekend, not too far behind American Reunion and notably behind The Hunger Games.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    If memory serves Raiders played from summer to the following Holiday season nearly a year and a half later. In a 2 movie theater in my town. We were so sad when it finally was pulled.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah but that was pre Home Video. Titanic was in the era of VHS and the beginning of DVD.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

"[Goose's son, Rooster] is determined to follow in his father's footsteps...and entire face."
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Pensivia, Sarge and Thena like this.
  15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    In some theaters, "Star Wars" ran for at least a year.
    [​IMG]

Luke02, Alpha-Red and The2ndQuest like this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004

Doesn't go quite like in the movie.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Kenneth Morgan Yep and not only did ANH have an entire year run at the box office but so did ET has it came out in June 1982 and ran until the following summer has it was ROTJ that kind of help push it out the door.

@Sarge I had a former AF pilot tell me at a party over the weekend that the final battle between Mav/Rooster in the F-18 vs the two Su-57 was like pitting an early 1950's fighter jet against two F-18. Thoughts?

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Luke02, did you mean Mav & Rooster in the F-14?

I don't know much about 5th gen fighters in general or the Su-57 in particular, but if we look at the age gaps, the first F-18s flew in the early 80's which is about a three decade gap from the early 50's. The first F-14's flew in the early 70's and that's the version they stole, so it was almost a five decade gap from the Tomcat to the Su-57.

I just remembered, the movie F-18's were Super Hornets, which resemble the original Hornets but are actually almost a completely new design that first flew in the mid-90's, so that makes the age gap from the 50's over four decades, which is much closer to the F-14 vs Su-57 gap.

That said, fighter technology was advancing very rapidly during the 50's and 60's, and slowed somewhat in the 70's and 80's, and slowed more after that. Anyway, I'd say that analogy is probably in the right ballpark. I'm sure air superiority experts could argue the point all day, and if you ask 3 pilots you'll get at least 6 opinions.

Something else I just remembered is a friendly encounter between US F-4 Phantoms, late 60's era jets, that got suckered into a dogfight with Australians flying early 50's F-86 Saber jets. The Aussies suckered the Yanks into a slow-speed turning contest and the old Sabers were all over the high-tech Phantoms. High tech has lots of advantages, but old planes often have their own strong points that a smart pilot can exploit.

Jedi Ben and Alpha-Red like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Top Gun 3 (2058)

[​IMG]

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Retired F-18 pilots Mover and Gonky have made a 6 part reaction video now that TGM is out on video. And they obviously had a lot of fun with it. This is the first part that got approved by Youtube, more should follow soon.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Here's a better video, more cinematic and less "enemy dot on the horizon".

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It took them 8 separate videos to appease the copyright overlords, but Mover & Gonky finally finished their commentary on TGM. Of course they tore the movie to shreds, their status as professional fighter pilots requires it, but they still liked it a lot.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    TGM has finally left my local theaters. I'm feeling at a loss. Now what do I do on days when I'm bored?

25. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Laugh at gravity. Hahahahaha. Gravity

Sarge likes this.