main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ToS Clarification] ROTS Forum - Social Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kavic_Toth, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YTMND

YTMND Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2004
    What's a parrot?

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It's a bird that talks, but that's not important right now.

3. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    81-

You refered to the parrot obliquely at 9:14, I mention it explicitly at 9:27. Regardless, that's neither here nor there.

And please don't hyperbolize about my having suspicions; I have no intention of telling you what groceries you should buy. I think, however, that I'm well within my rights to guess about your motives here. You've basically stated that you want to get some form of vengeance for the banning of another member. That suggests that this is less about sticking up for the underdog and more about promoting borderline posting. That you seem to be enjoying this, while making less than veiled efforts at insults (the starred comments, the trucker comment), the blatant effort to get edited or banned for your posts - again, these all suggest that you want to see what you can get away with while staying within the TOS. As I said, I could be entirely mistaken about your intentions; I just don't think that I am because of how you've behaved here and elsewhere. Again, immaterial.

The mods made a call you disagree with another user. Fine, opinion noted. The mods made a call you disagree with in ROTS. Again, fine, opinion noted. Anything more to add that we haven't heard? Any other allusions to fascism or Nazi Germany?

EDITS: clarity

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Question. If * is now baned, and the letter f is baned, how whould I post wt(you know what)?

5. hitmbig

hitmbig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 6, 2004
    Let me hop in on this as I was one of the users banned. I was banned for a pretty weak reason. Do I care that I was banned, not at all. I have made that very clear to Sinister. Starring swears out is allowable and in no way was I flaming anyone last night. Even if a MOD does not like the starring out of swears, tough, it is allowable in the context of how I was doing it.

If it is such a big deal, change the TOS.

6. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    If a user is flaming another poster with starred out banned words, that shouldn't be tolerated. But if thay are using starred out banned words in a different context(Example:The duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan was ******* awesome), then it shouldn't be a problem.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    hitmbag was banned for not doing as I asked/told, which was to stop with the excessive star swearing. Another user was banned for flaming 3P0, but using the stars to hide behind and thus trying to cricumvent the system.

8. LadyWhilla

LadyWhilla Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Listen, this doens't affect me in relation to how I post. I don't swear on here nor do I post the type of gifs/images in question. But...I think these new rules should have been introduced officially because there really was no definitive explanation given to those who typically post in this uh..fashion.

This unrest could have been avoided by a simple yet to the point post by a mod.
    i.e.

The new and improved ROTS Social Thread Rules:

1. Swearing and/or star swearing will no longer be tolerated.
    2. Posting a plethora of gifs will no longer be tolerated as they slow down the boards.
    3. Inappropriate and questionable gifs/images will no longer be tolerated.

Violate any of these terms and you will be banned.

[hr]
    Something to that effect anyways.

However, this should be forum-wide, not singular thread only.

9. hitmbig

Oct 6, 2004
    Exactly. I would have just not done it if it were an amendment issue with the TOS. I just got fired up with the 'do this and that' orders.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    darth-sinister posted on 6/25/05 12:03am
    hitmbag was banned for not doing as I asked/told, which was to stop with the excessive star swearing. Another user was banned for flaming 3P0, but using the stars to hide behind and thus trying to cricumvent the system.[hr][/blockquote]

[face_laugh]

I'm sorry, but that's just funny. The rule was made that users couldn't swear over the line of the allowed list, but where exactly in the TOS does it say that the user isn't allowed to "star swear"? I could easily line up a million asterisks. It may mean something in my mind, but if I'm not truely saying anything other than posting a few little stars in a message, it would be jumping to conclusions to ban me for it. Personally, I think that you had absolutely no right to ban him for that. You're just jumping your guns, methinks.

It's not "circumventing the system" if he never said anything to begin with. He's not breaking any rule whatsoever.

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Personally, I think that you had absolutely no right to ban him for that.

ROC clearly states :-

User acknowledges and agrees that the use of the Jedi Council Forums is a privilege, not a right, and that the administration of the Jedi Council has the right, at its sole discretion, to revoke this privilege at any time without notice should the administration deem it necessay.

If a mod feels that your actions were inappropriate then he or she is within their "rights" to ban you for it.

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    There is where the users can get screwed over completely if they mods feel like they have the right to do it.

If anyone wants to follow me up on this, feel free to. I'm too tired to make a big elaborate post on this issue. :p

13. hitmbig

Oct 6, 2004
    Some MODS here are ego driven and get off on banning users for lame reasons. Simple as that. I know I did not break the TOS but that is my POV.

***** should just not be allowed and save all of the confusion.

14. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

I was banned for saying "Shiznit" which isn't even a real word. The same MOD also told me NOT to use the rolling-eyes smiley. I hardly ever go to the 'Prequel trilogy' section of the boards because of the iron-fisted rule there.

This is a good thread.

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    That word you mentioned is obviously a clear reference to a word that is banned, and those types of words also have been banned for a while (if that makes sense). However, unless you had a prior history, I'd think it could simply warrant an edit and warning.

16. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I've seen the word "Shizzle" here lots of times go unedited, but doesn't that mean the same thing?

I'm behind on Snoopisms.

17. hitmbig

Oct 6, 2004
    Good examples guys. I still think it depends on the mod. Some are cooler than others.

18. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    ApolloSmileGirl, a quick trip to urbandictionary says that the more popular meaning is "sure", as in "fo shizzle" would be "for sure". However, if it is used as a noun, "that post was the *******", then it has the meaning you thought it had.

19. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    so synonyms are banned now too?

if shizzle and shiznit can mean **** than other words that mean the same thing must also be banned.

what's the difference if i say "what is this crap are you talking about?"

or

"what is this shiznit you are spewing?"

they are both meant to express a point and not break TOS.

FF

20. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    No, not all synonyms are banned. Just those that sound similar to the word in question.

And they aren't just "banned now", they have been banned for years.

21. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Isn't "Freaking" banned, if it's used in the wrong context?

22. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    From reading the entirity of the thread. Let me just say this, it is hard to expect a user of these boards to even understand the rules when you go to diffrent spots on the boards and there be a completely diffrent set of rules for each board.

I can spend all day in the JCC and make a refrence that someone is a "ass clown" then go to ROTS Social thread and again say something is a "ass clown." And then get banned?? Where is the logic in that? If I'm allowed to do something over here I should be allowed to over on another board. I can understand wanting us to have some deceancy and common sense when we post. I like to think for the most part I do.

But this thread is showing me one thing clearly and that we truely need to re-visit what is and what isn't apporiate for TF.N because I personally have never had a problem with most of the things I've seen in the Social thread or any place on these boards. And then bam out of no where everything is wrong. Everything we had been doing is considered wrong.

I have enjoyed the Social Thread since August of 2000. It's been a staple in the Spoiler Community and the Prequal boards. I've fought for it. And I'll fight for it again. But I personally think that its wrong to hold one thread to higher standards then you hold the rest of the message board. That if the mods and any user who believes this place is suppose to be family friendly, then lets get rid of the JCC and make it Elmo's Happy Hour instead. Because the majority of those threads, including some I have personally started are not family friendly. In fact they are the complete opposite of that.

And yes please say that this has nothing to do with the Social Thread. Please I'm begging you. Because guess what it does, because since ROTS has come out alot more users have flooded in from where the other facets of the board and are posting there. Or users from there have flooded out into the other forums and are posting. This is a board wide issue not just a ROTS issue. One thread should not be held to higher standards then the rest of the board. That's setting double stadrards and setting up users to get banned. Which I don't think anyone wants here.

~PK~

23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    But I personally think that its wrong to hold one thread to higher standards then you hold the rest of the message board.

If a single thread has different, unique or otherwise more difficult problems to deal with on a consistent basis, it's likely to have higher or different standards. Better than closing it entirely, don't you think?

It's not a double standard. It's adapting to the circumstances.

24. LadyWhilla

LadyWhilla Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    It is a double standard. Let's get back to why swearing is not allowed and why posting questionable images is not allowed.
    Family-friendly site. Plain and simple and I think everyone realizes that.

So thinking along the lines as if I was a 13 year old kid I might browse the social thread but I'd be more inclined to head to the JCC. That's where I'd find the kind of things I'd want to see. Threads about masturbation. I'd love that. Let's not forget the hottie's thread to go along with that.
    Yeah, I'd say it's a double standard.
    Everyone will adapt to the circumstances eventually or get banned. I still say the TOS and RoC should extend across the boards.

Why is that unreasonable?

25. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Having a single thread having different standards than the rest is just plain stupid. We shouldn't have to wonder if I say a certain word in here will I be banned. If rule is made it should be enforced in all forums and threads. If you can't do that, then things need to be relooked over or changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.