main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOS Exclusive Article: Droids and the Force

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedimasterED, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Yoda Stories reference? You're joking? Frell, I LOVE YOU!!

That has just made my month. If they let it through, it'll make my year.

:D

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Sweet! Hope it gets through. :D

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    the Insider people got a letter by me,hope it helps to keep you busy Abel ;-)

4. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Tam_Elgrin wrote:
    ?Yoda Stories reference? You're joking? Frell, I LOVE YOU!!?

I know?

Nope, no joke Tam. Thanks to the folks here who pointed out the robotic stormtroopers connection in the first place. Like I said, the info came to me just in the nick of time. So if LFL approves the nod, you guys definitely earned it. ;)

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?Sweet! Hope it gets through. ?

I?d actually be surprised if it doesn?t. It?s just a small reference, and LFL hardly bats an eye at those. The Droids and the Force article, for instance, had small refs to Ronyards and the Order of the Terrible Glare, both Devilworlds stories.

CeiranHarmony wrote:
    ?the Insider people got a letter by me,hope it helps to keep you busy Abel ;-)?

You bet it will! Thanks CH. :)

Take care,
    Abel

5. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Hye Abel, do you tell us whatever happened to the Moldy Crow? Kyle's new ship just seemed to appear out of no where.

My theory is that he donated it to the Jedi Academy out of the goodness of his heart ;)

6. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    hey, maybe Desann stole his ship when he left the academy lol poor Kyle had a reason to hunt him! he left the rings for Jan Ors onboard *gg*

7. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Did he have it during MOTS? Maybe it got destroyed somewhere around that time, the events of Dark Empire were occurring then.

8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    as far as I remember he had it in MOTS, but the adon followes Maras adventures then and leaves us into the unknown about Kyle until she rescues him from the darkside

9. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I thought the Moldy Crow got destroyed in Jedi Knight?

10. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    We know it was damaged and I would guess Jan and Kyle used it to escape the Valley of the Jedi.

Kyle's ship is never shown in MotS (he uses a captured Imperial shuttle) and Mara uses her own ship, the Shryke(sp?). The next thing we know, Kyle has the Raven's Claw in Jedi Outcast.

I miss the Crow. :(

11. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    when and how did that happen?

12. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Maybe Jan uses the Moldy Crow now Kyle goes more on seperate missions for the Jedi.

13. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    The Crow is damaged when Kyle is on board a giant freighter and then Jerec decides that he doesn't really need such massive crate hauling capabilities, or Kyle, and uses Force Destruction. The ship starts crashing and Kyle must rush through the passages, disconnect the docking clamps, and get to the Crow. Its a hard level sometimes. He damages ol' Moldy on his way out of the exploding hangar bay. I think he even crashes if you are playing on the Dark Side.

14. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    All I have to say is you did again Abel. I liked this one as much as I like the Mandorlian one. I really liked all the vague refences to little know sources(like Kligson and his moon). Also I can not find where it gives people respounce to the Mandorlian article you did say the was on the website right?

edit:I love this little bit "(and even wild rumors about Jedi droids named Skippy" as it made me chuckle.

15. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    Put us out of our misery over the Crow, Abel.

16. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Eyrezer wrote:
    ?Put us out of our misery over the Crow, Abel.?

No problem. You?ll just have to wait a bit, though. I did up stats for the Crow, as well as a bio for the ship on Jason Fry?s suggestion, so that?s on the menu as well. :)

BootlegVader wrote:
    ?All I have to say is you did again Abel. I liked this one as much as I like the Mandorlian one.?

That?s wonderful to hear, Bootleg. Thanks! A lot of research went into the Droids and the Force piece, so it?s nice to hear that some folks have found it as enjoyable as the History of the Mandalorians, which is generally a more popular subject.

?I really liked all the vague refences to little know sources(like Kligson and his moon). Also I can not find where it gives people respounce to the Mandorlian article you did say the was on the website right??

I don?t think they print letters to the editor on the online supplement to Insider. You?ll find comments on the Mando piece in the letters column of the print version of Insider #81.

?edit:I love this little bit "(and even wild rumors about Jedi droids named Skippy" as it made me chuckle.?

I like sneaky throwaways like that. My favorite though was probably paying homage to the Lando Calrissian Adventures by making reference to the actual Xendor. In those novels, Lando is found of exclaiming, ?Minions of Xendor!? at critical moments. In the Emperor?s Pawns piece, I contextualized the reference by remarking by who exactly the historical Xendor and his minions were.

Take care folks!
    Abel

17. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Wasn't Xendor mentioned in the Han Solo Adventures as well? Or was that just Xim?

TC

18. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    TalonCard wrote:
    "Wasn't Xendor mentioned in the Han Solo Adventures as well? Or was that just Xim?"

Only references to Xim appear in the Han Solo Adventures.

Well folks, Jason and I have just turned over the last of the Dark Forces pieces to WOTC. Look for the Minis and rpg series to pop up on their website soon.

Take care,
    Abel

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    But when?!? ;)

TC

20. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    I would guess that the articles would be up this Thursday or the next. :)

I like the idea of the RPG/minis article because it is A) Free, B) easily accessible, and C) provides much more information [as a general rule] than a normal literary work. I also like it that you are working to incorporate video games into the fold; they are IMHO some of the most ignored sources of information. Where else but Droidworks could there be a "Dance" computer virus... that might have possibly survived for years and caused the "droid ballet" Mara Jade found in Mysteries of the Sith. [face_batting]

Wow, we sure talk about these DF things a lot, maybe they should get a thread of their own soon. ;)

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I'm interested in the Jedi Outcast apsect, how people can be converted into Jedi-class freaks is explained.

22. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    TalonCard wrote:
    ?But when?!? ?

I think they were waiting until they got the entire series in, so it shouldn?t be long now.

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?I like the idea of the RPG/minis article because it is A) Free, B) easily accessible, and C) provides much more information [as a general rule] than a normal literary work.?

Those are all definitely true in the case of this project. Each part in the series. Both minis and rpg, is pretty jam packed with bios, planets, adventure seeds and more.

?I also like it that you are working to incorporate video games into the fold; they are IMHO some of the most ignored sources of information. Where else but Droidworks could there be a "Dance" computer virus... that might have possibly survived for years and caused the "droid ballet" Mara Jade found in Mysteries of the Sith. ?

Ha!

I think LucasArts video games have come a long way in their contribution to the canon since those early days of Super Star Wars, X-Wing, and TIE Fighter. I try to drop at least a few game references into each of my articles. In fact, Arden Lyn from Masters of Teras Kasi and Maarek Stele from TIE Fighter each got full write-ups in my first LFL piece. It just so happens that this time the entire project is based on video game characters. :)

?Wow, we sure talk about these DF things a lot, maybe they should get a thread of their own soon. ?

Any time someone wants to start one up, I?m game. :)

Excellence wrote:
    ?I'm interested in the Jedi Outcast apsect, how people can be converted into Jedi-class freaks is explained.?

You probably won?t see this until the end of the Dark Forces series, Excellence, but I hope you like what I wrote about Desann?s antics.

Take care,
    Abel

23. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Do you delve into which Jedi in Luke's academy got killed during Desann's fall to the dark side?

24. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    lol, Mavrick. that would be cool.

25. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    I'm interested in the Jedi Outcast apsect, how people can be converted into Jedi-class freaks is explained.

I always thought that the Valley of the Jedi was the big focal point for this. Granted, there were those neat crystals that were mentioned a couple o' times that the bloody Shadow Troopers employed that kinda focused on the Force on a person, but the main catalyst was the Valley on Ruussan.

What I always got from the stories was that the Valley was capable of raising one's potential in the Force. If Qu Rahn is to be believed, It could've turned from a mere powerful Dark Jedi to having the powers of a god, if he had absorbed everything that was in there. When Kyle's powers had dwindled to basically zilch, following the events of MotS, he didn't want to retrain all he had, and had to raise his powers. Fly to Valley, absorb a bit of the Valley's power, and *bam* Instant Jedi in Kyle.

Now with Desann, I think that he used the Valley for a different purpose. Instead of gaining all that power for himself, to raise his own potential, he used it to affect the potential and powers of those under him, essentially creating a Dark Jedi army, or as they'd call themselves, Reborn.

The result itself was surprisingly good, but 'oi, I think Desann really should've bided his time a bit and given them some proper training. They did quite a bit of damage at Yavin 4, but they were still defeated by Luke's apprentices in the end.

(still curious where they got all those red sabers from... a big lightsaber factory? From Ossus lightsaber deposits?At your local Jedi store?)

When I first heard that saber battles were going to be frequent in Jedi Outcast, I cringed at the thought, and expected that there was going to be some sort of a cult that we had never heard about who was going to threaten everything. At least with the Valley of the Jedi, they used something that had already been established and the explanation of the Dark Jedi army was, at least, plausible. With Jedi Academy, the whole 'Sith Stick'-spiel felt more of an excuse and an afterthought.

Of course, this doesn't necesarilly explain just who the Dark Jedi/Reborn is/are(depending on the difficulty) that Kyle faces in the demo. One of Fyyar's earlier experiments? Desann's apprentice(s) who was/were then replaced with Tavion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.