main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

TOS Exclusive Article: Droids and the Force

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedimasterED, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    as far as i understood it, the reborn crystals and the staff of ragnos worked essentially exactly the same way: Suck up force spirits/energy from site A, dump it in Non-Force User B.

Of course, putting the spirit of a dead dark jedi into the head of trooper - on top of all the clones other psycological problems, probably not so much a good idea.

Oh, and the Mando and Droids articles were great.

2. nawaraven104

nawaraven104 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    The first part of Abel's DF series is up, by the way: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/kylekatarnstale

Abel, I don't suppose you'd consider doing annotations for these, would you? I thought I was kind of an EU obscure reference stud, but your articles have shown me the error of my ways! I'd love to know where all of the references are from...

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Where else but Droidworks could there be a "Dance" computer virus... that might have possibly survived for years and caused the "droid ballet" Mara Jade found in Mysteries of the Sith. <

I wouldn't be surprised if Artoo Deetoo, that break dancing fiend, was originally responsible for the virus. ;) What's with the "droid ballet"?

You know, I always thought that the assassin droid army on Tatooine was meant to support the Dark Troopers... ;)

TC

4. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    The article also had a reference to the Iron Knights. Very interesting info on the Dark Trooper project. :)

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>I wouldn't be surprised if Artoo Deetoo, that break dancing fiend, was originally responsible for the virus. ;) What's with the "droid ballet"? <<

Yeah, I forgot about that part of the Droids cartoon. Well, Artoo was involved (somewhat) with the creation of the virus in Droidworks...

The "droid ballet" is from Mysteries of the Sith, in the Kitrassii (?) Spaceport level. Mara Jade is wandering around the city, searching for a crime boss, when she sees a droid enter a secret door and investigates. Once inside, she finds a large chamber (an abandoned warehouse?) filled with lines of power droids and protocol droids "dancing." "Looks like some sort of ballet," she mutters. The droids walk in about half a dozen lines, almost like a waltz; its pretty funny. :)

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
  7. Xzylon

Xzylon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2004
    could someone fill me in on Dweem and its monsters?

8. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    nawaraven104 wrote:
    ?The first part of Abel's DF series is up, by the way: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/kylekatarnstale?

Thanks nawaraven. Folks can find the rpg parts of the DF series here:

Part 1: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050407a

Part 2: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050407b

?Abel, I don't suppose you'd consider doing annotations for these, would you? I thought I was kind of an EU obscure reference stud, but your articles have shown me the error of my ways! I'd love to know where all of the references are from...?

I guess what I?ll do is wait until folks have picked at the article for a bit, then go ahead and address any remaining references that have been left unaccounted for. That way folks get first crack, and I get to do clean up.

For instance, in the Droids and the Force article, here are some refs that may have gone over people?s heads:

The Coalition of Automaton Rights Activists and the Mechanical Liberation Front: Two droids rights groups with distinctly differing approaches from the rpg supplement, Fantastic Technology: Droids.

San Herrera and Nia Reston?s ?Droid Rights? essay: From the Living Force update by the same name at the Wizards of the Coast website: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/livingforce/swlf20040701. FYI, there?s also a recent sequel of sorts, called ?Cause of the Month?: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/livingforce/swlf20040819.

Arhul Hextrophon?s ?The Problem of Droid Abuse?: The article is from the Official X-Wing Strategy Guide. It?s attribution to Arhul Hextrophon, reputed Alliance historian Voren Na?al?s mentor, is new.

Artificial Sentience: The term comes from Fantastic Technology: Droids.

Akurian Geyser: A reference to the rare Pizzaz comic strips.

Joon Odovrera: This intergalactic comedian first referenced in the Essential Guide to Alien Species.

?The One Who Creates?: This definition of ?the Maker? comes from multiple editions of A Guide to the Star Wars Universe.

The Sunesi and the Maker: The Sunesi and their worship of an entity called the Maker is found in multiple sources. The first is in the short story, ?Only Droids Serve the Maker? in Adventure Journal #10.

The Great Droid Revolution: Mentioned in passing in by Master Arca, I believe, in Tales of Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith.

The Arkanian Revolution: First mentioned in Gorm the Dissolver?s entry in the Essential Guide to Droids, and slightly elaborated upon in the timeline included with the New Essential Guide to Characters.

Mechu-deru, Belia Darzu, and the Technobeasts: This is amalgamation of multiple sources. The power of Mechu-deru was first mentioned in ?The Lost Art,? Roganda Ismaren?s adventure seed in Gamer #5, The Emperor?s Pawns. Also mentioned in that adventure seed are ?mythological half-being/half-mechanical abominations.? If you?ve read the Droids and the Force piece, you can gather that these are Belia Darzu?s Technobeasts. Really, only the name is new. Such monsters were first mentioned in the Tales of the Jedi Companion sourcebook. Smitten with the horrifying effects of nanogene droid ?super technology? from the Gamemaster Handbook for Second Edition, I added that concept to the Technobeasts? arsenal as well. Finally, Belia Darzu is mentioned briefly in the ?Dark Armor? section of the Dark Side sourcebook: ?one of the Sith Lords who kept the Sith cult alive before the Battle of Ruusan.?

That should keep you busy for a while nawaraven! Look out for the rest soon.

Best,
    Abel

9. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Is it time for the rest of your footnotes Abel?

10. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I'd forgotten all about this. I'll get on it. :)

11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 23, 2005
    They need to just give you the Holocron and let you re-edit it all...

You should be the one writing the novel on the Death Star as well...

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Yes, Maul's NEGTC entry mentioned a mechu-deru Force form, whatever that is. That the Xi Char hold technology as sacred is just as odd. It's good to see this stuff in sci fi, rather than endless dwarfs and dragons.

13. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Finally got around to reading this when I had a 7 day free trail.

Loved it. I especially liked the connection between Mandalorian Iron and the metal content in Myrkr trees and ysalamiri. :)

14. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    Shortly after reading Droids and the Force, I bought the Jedi Academy: Leviathan TPB. In one panel, it shows several Jedi students in a mess hall. Sitting at the table, there appears to be a droid holding a cup. I was wondering if this could have been one of the Wild Knights. It fits into the timeframe given in the article.

15. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Continuing the continuity cross-over hullabaloo:

The reference to Skippy, from the Tales story, ?Skippy the Jedi Droid,? is very carefully worded to refer to the story, but not suggest that it?s ?real,? but more likely along the lines of what the introduction to the first issue of Tales suggested it might be, a holo-comedy, or something like that. Hence, ?wild rumors about Jedi droids named Skippy.?

The soul-snares used by the Order of the Terrible Glare are seen in the Devilworlds series.

Reference to Ingoian scatrium in the Leth Universal Energy Cage?s superconductors does two things. It refers to the scatrium found on the planet Ingo, from the Droids cartoon rpg article Rich Handley and I wrote for Dungeon/Polyhedron magazine, and also conclusively links Simonelle the Ingoian (one of the Human Replica Droid Guri?s creators according to the Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook and EG to Droids) to the planet Ingo.

Lord Cronal?s use of the ?Science of Darkness,? is a direct reference to the Dark Empire Sourcebook, both linking Cronal to Palp?s Dark Side Adepts on Byss (later confirmed in the Dark Forces Saga articles, where Cronal is revealed to be Blackhole) and to his plans to establish a Dark Side Theocracy.

As mentioned elsewhere, Cronal first appeared in WEG's Gamemaster Screen for Second Edition, in the adventure hook, "Monster Maker."

The name and race of the Iron Knights? Jedi Master, the Sunesi Aqinos, were not originally specified in the Star Wars Missions book in which he first appeared.

The Iron Knights tend to take names after Jedi lightsaber crystals, following Ilum?s example. Hence, Luxum, who fell to the dark side during the Vong War.

The initial generation of Iron Knights took the bodies of deactivated Juggernaut War Droids. These droids were first referenced in Arden Lyn?s equipment stats in the ?Emperor?s Pawns.? Arden?s robotic arm was taken from a Juggernaut.

Iron Knights also took the bodies of FLTCH-series droids (Prelude to Rebellion mini-series) and Uulshos Justice Droids (from Wanted by Cracken).

More later.

Best,
    Abel

16. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    AdmiralWesJanson wrote:
    ?They need to just give you the Holocron and let you re-edit it all...

You should be the one writing the novel on the Death Star as well...?

Thanks for the compliment, WesJanson. I?d be happy with a short story dealing with Boba as a Journeyman Protector.

Excellence wrote:
    ?Yes, Maul's NEGTC entry mentioned a mechu-deru Force form, whatever that is.?

I should note that mechu-deru was Dan?s baby first, originally mentioned in some cancelled work of his. I just lifted it.

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?Loved it. I especially liked the connection between Mandalorian Iron and the metal content in Myrkr trees and ysalamiri. ?

It?s only conjecture on Tam?s part, but these suggestions are written with a clear intention. It?s sort of like when someone coughs in a movie ? you know that chump?ll be dead in the next half an hour.

Joser_Kyind wrote:
    ?Shortly after reading Droids and the Force, I bought the Jedi Academy: Leviathan TPB. In one panel, it shows several Jedi students in a mess hall. Sitting at the table, there appears to be a droid holding a cup. I was wondering if this could have been one of the Wild Knights. It fits into the timeframe given in the article.?

Heh heh. I answered this question in my author?s thread, but yeah, the timing seems just about right, so I?d say that mug-of-something drinking droid is an Iron Knight alright. :) Just not of the Juggernaut vaiety.

Take care,
    Abel

17. Joser_Kyind

Feb 10, 2005
    Stang, when reading your post, I realised that I had referred to the Iron Knights as the Wild Knights. *hangs head in shame*:(

On the other hand, I really loved the article. I noticed earlier that you specified that it was Tash (not Jan) Arranda. I've noticed that the Wookieepedia called her Jan. When was she ever called Jan that people would make that mistake?

18. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    Lol. So Luxum was the name of the Shard that fell to the Dark Side? Wow, what an amazing coincidence that its name is that of a form of crystal used by Dark Siders!! ;)

A question about the Shard, are they male and female? or genderless?

19. Joser_Kyind

Feb 10, 2005
    I remeber Ilum being referred to as female and Luxum being referred to as male. However, this may have been more attibuted to personality types, like with other droids, than with actual gender.

20. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Nice behind-the-scenes look, Abel. :)

21. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    Can anyone post pics of those 3 droids -
    Juggernaut War Droid
    FLTCH-series droids
    Uulshos Justice Droids

22. VaapadMaster

VaapadMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2004
    I just read the article. It is absolutely amazing. Very philosophical, and a lot of great retcons. Well done, Mr. Abel. =D=

I have a question regarding the Sunesi. If I'm not mistaken, this is a Force-using order is it not? I'm fairly certain it was mentioned in The Unifying Force by Jacen when he was listing some of the Force-using groups he wanted to train with. Can you tell me more about these Sunesi?

23. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Joser_Kyind wrote:
    ?Stang, when reading your post, I realised that I had referred to the Iron Knights as the Wild Knights. *hangs head in shame* ?

Happens to the best of us, Joser. Trust me, it?s worse when it?s for LFL and no one catches it.

?On the other hand, I really loved the article. I noticed earlier that you specified that it was Tash (not Jan) Arranda. I've noticed that the Wookieepedia called her Jan. When was she ever called Jan that people would make that mistake??

Um? never? Not officially, anyway, but probably earlier in this very thread in a similar case to your Wild Knights/Iron Knights snafu.

Eyrezer wrote:
    ?Lol. So Luxum was the name of the Shard that fell to the Dark Side? Wow, what an amazing coincidence that its name is that of a form of crystal used by Dark Siders!! ?

Ain?t it though?

As I?ve mentioned elsewhere, I like for names to mean something, and I?m very big on the concept of ?earning? your name. In literature, anyway. (Reminds me of the time I met a friend's friend named, "Cain." Yikes!) What we see here with Luxum is only the end result, of course. In a good story, Luxum's fall to the dark side would, hopefully, not be executed in a way that was painfully predictable.

Luxum? Mom, you named me Luxum? Well, I guess I?m farkled. ;)

?A question about the Shard, are they male and female? or genderless??

Good question. Probably genderless divorced from any droid programming. Once integrated into galactic society, they probably think its easier to take a particular gender to better fit in.

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?Nice behind-the-scenes look, Abel. ?

I?ll post the last bit soon.

VaapadMaster wrote:
    ?I just read the article. It is absolutely amazing. Very philosophical, and a lot of great retcons. Well done, Mr. Abel. ?

Thanks VM!

?I have a question regarding the Sunesi. If I'm not mistaken, this is a Force-using order is it not? I'm fairly certain it was mentioned in The Unifying Force by Jacen when he was listing some of the Force-using groups he wanted to train with. Can you tell me more about these Sunesi??

I don?t have my Alien Encounters book handy at the moment. They?re a Kathy Tyers creation, and have been mostly featured in her stories/books.

Take care,
    Abel

24. Jedi_Knight88

Jedi_Knight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2005

As Abel mentioned, they're mostly found in Kathy Tyers books- one of them lends Jacen his hoverpod in 'Balance Point'. Some extracts from pgs 229-230:

Physical characteristics:
    'His flattened skull was a brilliant shade of turquoise. Silvery brow ridges tapered into prominent bulges on both sides of his forehead.'
    "My people can overlay our speech or another's with ultrahigh-frequency noise." Gnosos (the Sunesi)
    'Lumpheads, the Imperials had called the Sunesi, for those prominent cranial bulges.'

Beliefs
    'The Sunesi carried an air of serenity Jacen hadn't seen in anyone, even his uncle, since the first reports of Yuuzhan Vong intruders.'
    'The monotheistic Sunesi went through a dangerous metamorphosis between their juvenile and adult stages. Supposedly, surviving that change predisposed them to believe in life after death."

"Make and Giver." The Sunesi spread his hands. "To my people, the universe's endless variety implies a master Maker, one wtih a fine and glorious creativity and affection. And a sense of humour (Aussie spelling!), as well."

I hope that helps. Somehow.

25. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Continuing:

Aqinos, the Iron Knights master, was a teacher aboard Djinn Altis' Ch'unthor Academy. According to Darksaber, Djinn was Callista's master, explaining the "clues" she gave Luke to look for the IKs.

The base on Dweem where Aqinos trained the Iron Knights was used during the Hundred-Year Darkness.

The idea of assassin droids banding together to hunt Yuuzhan Vong was a theme slated to be explored in the NJO, but was dropped. I gave it a nod here and tied it in with the IKs.

4-LOM's potential Force-sensitivity (or robotic delusions) were first suggested in "Of Possible Futures," in Tales of the Bounty Hunters. Good story.

Jaled Dur, Aqinos' master, was a Jedi Master from WEG's Gamemaster Screen of Second Edition famed for creating the Heart of the Universe, a gem with unspecified but supposedly awesome powers.

The story of Master Ferleen Snee and the Muntuur Stones is a reference to Galaxy Guide 9.

That's all folks!

Take care,
    Abel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.