main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TOS] Is it against the TOS to

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Rogue_Ten, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, you are everyone's favorite Hebrew Mod. ;)

2. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I think having "Heil Hitler" in a sig would be offensive and certainly would be considering baiting to Jewish members of the board.

Speaking as one Jewish member of the board, I wouldn't flame them, though I'd certainly be curious as to what their beliefs were. If they were in support of his political beliefs or something like that, I wouldn't mind but if they supported the extermination of Jews, gays, and other groups then that would probably exceed the bounds of good taste.

Hope that made at least a little sense.

3. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Now wait a minute. People refer to political leaders they don't like as Hitler. Don't want to mention any leaders to offend anyone. It's not refering to his holocaust of Jews, but the way he ran gov't. I don't want to get into a political debate, but if we start going into detail, it'll only lead to trouble. The JC community I know is very diverse in topics, but posters shouldn't be posting extreme controversy. Sensibility is a key issue here. Whatever forum it is posters should just post sensibly.

4. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
      On a related topic, is it ok (hypothetically) for someone to put in their signature something along the lines of "Praise Lord Satan!"?
    I was asked by a few moderators years ago to remove a religious remark in my signature because it offended quite a few users. Of course, this was a few years ago and I wasn't told to.. but still.

Then again, 2 years ago on a message forum can be comparable to 10 years or so in the real world.

oy.

~ James

5. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I'm not in favor of saluting a mass murderer. Do we go around saluting Charles Manson too?

It would only be acceptable in the form of a historic discussion and how it would even fit into that is hard IMO.

6. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Comparing Manson to Hitler is like comparing bad breath to the bubonic plague.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Yeah, dude killed Roman Polanski's chick and a few others, perhaps by his own hand, whereas Hitler's War and all the accoutrements thereof killed, like, 50 million people.

Hitler: 1.
    Manson: 0.

8. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Vile murder is still murder. If Manson had Hitler's means, he would've gone hog wild.

I support my previous statement on the subject.

9. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    Vile murder is still murder.

Maybe so, but Vile Murder <> Genocide!

[image=http://www.durbnpoisn.com/images/faces/IGNHijack.gif]

Plus, I completely do not think that Manson had any intentions of taking over the world, or attempting to save the fatherland.
    For all the horror that Hitler brought to the world, at least in his own mind, he was saving his country. So, at least he had reasons...

Manson is just a looney. There was no rhyme or reason behind what he did.

(It actually sounds like I'm supporting Hitler there... NO NO NO NOOOO! I'm just pointing out the major difference between the two.)

10. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I was asked by a few moderators years ago to remove a religious remark in my signature because it offended quite a few users.

It was due to the wording of the comment, not the actual usage. It wasn't that the statement was "Praise the Lord", but along the lines of saying that anyone that doesn't believe in God is going to Hell. It's a distinction along the lines of saying something like "All EU readers are idiots", and thus it was because of the content and sentiment of the message, not the fact it was religious based.

11. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Is there any instance where Heiling Hitler isn't hating on someone, or a group of people?

12. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
      It was due to the wording of the comment, not the actual usage. It wasn't that the statement was "Praise the Lord", but along the lines of saying that anyone that doesn't believe in God is going to Hell. It's a distinction along the lines of saying something like "All EU readers are idiots", and thus it was because of the content and sentiment of the message, not the fact it was religious based.
    After a few years, you still have a damn good memory. :p Though I don't think I said anything about going to hell.. though an inverse of that could be taken the same way.

Anyways, I'll stop derailing this now.

And Juli: If your brother were named Hitler, it wouldn't be hating! :p ;) (Okay, enough of my cheesy humour)

~ James

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Is there any instance where Heiling Hitler isn't hating on someone, or a group of people?

AU FanFic.
    Some discussion in the Senate about Hitler and/or Nazism.

That's about all I can come up with.

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Raiders of the Lost Ark/ Last Crusade Line by Lines ;)

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    True! :)

16. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    But unless it's an Indy/SW crossover (don't laugh; it's been done, and quite well, too!), it wouldn't be here! :D

Now "Heil, Palpatine..."

17. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
  18. Holocron_Collector

Holocron_Collector Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2001
    Of course it would depend on the context, but you have to look at the reality of what would happen if someone actually posted it seriously and meant it. I'd almost guarantee you'd have a flame war in seconds.

19. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    My point exactly!!

20. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Regardless of my personal beliefs, with lean very strongly against Nazi-ism, i believe that Naziism and similar facist beliefs should be respected just like a religion or a political stance, but if the perpetrator of that belief makes them any more than that, they get hung, drawn, and quartered (banned).

It's not about them, it's about the impact they have on people. They can parade their ideals, and it shouldn't matter, but if someone starts to take offence, then BAM, there should be no hesitation in a long sentance, maybe a permanent ban.

Silvertouch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.