main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Totally Insane-y! Animaniacs Thread (NEW Episodes On Hulu)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Nov 25, 2020.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000

The Warner Brothers -and the Warner Sister, Dot- are back after a 22 year absence, with their multi-layered humor and biting satire. Discuss.

heels1785 likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The **** is a Hulu?

I mean the previews all seem fine but man, that's like the streaming service equivalent of getting aired in the summer.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The "Broadcast in 2020 but wrote this in 2018" gag was priceless.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I've watched 5 so far. Not that great IMO. Most of the content from the trailers are in the first two. The songs are slightly clever but not funny and poorly recorded like the sound appears off. I think I've chuckled once or twice and it wasn't even at any of the main characters. The tour bus driver on the WB lot says, "And here's the spot where they filmed Batman...", and the people on the bus cheer, "...vs Superman", the tour bus driver finishes, and the people moan.

It feels like the show is trying to be cool and woke in a "hey we're a horrible reboot like everything else but we're better somehow" way. So far I haven't seen why they're better. The skit at the beginning of the 4th episode that's all about "Bun(ny) control" is extremely bad. I might have energy for one more out of morbid curiosity, but I'm finding no joy in it.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Watched the first episode, it's on Teletoon On Demand in Canada (ditto with the new Looney Tunes cartoons without Hulu and HBOMax here so Corus/Teletoon it is). I liked the first episode that shamelessly coasted on nostalgia and was aware of it the whole time.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I saw the first two episodes. It's not very good. They're self-aware about being a reboot and needing to be fresh, but unable to do so because they keep clinging to old jokes and references. They also got rid of much of the variety show aspect of it, only keeping the most memey one: Pinky and the Brain. And I liked Pinky and the Brain back in the day, but you can't have it be the only one. Maybe come up with some new ones?

It's also really embarrassing that they had this whole song about how common reboots are, and included in it cartoon reboots that were far more successful at reimagining the original idea: such as Carmen Sandiego or DuckTales.

This reboot is the Big Bang Theory of cartoons. Low effort all around.

Ramza and TiniTinyTony like this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah I finally saw the first episode out of curiosity, and boy was it rough. They seem to have clued in to parts of the formula being popular online videos (Songs! Pinky and the Brain!), but the writing doesn't have much of the charm of the original (and, bluntly, there is plenty of material in the original that I either didn't like at the time or that aged like warm milk). While they correctly point out the old show was always a bit meta and willing to rag on the industry, they seem to think being meta in and of itself is an excuse that covers for weak writing. I'll probably give another episode a chance - a podcast I listen to is apparently reviewing episode 8 on the grounds of it being the strongest of the bunch, so likely that one - but I'm not optimistic.

Also, the animation moves very poorly at times in a way that just pulls me out entirely. I had a feeling this might be a problem when I saw the first trailer, but yeesh. I know streaming original budgets are not and can never be the budgets of "Spielberg pet project for broadcast television in the 1990s," but you're ordering episodes of a cartoon that's premised on trying to be evocative of the old Looney Tunes shorts, you have to spend more or do a smaller number of episodes or something, these things need more people and more money to happen properly. I know executives despise that but maybe garnish 1% of your holiday bonus or something, that's probably a couple million.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I knew immediately that this re-boot was just going to be a bunch of woke garbage. I'd be interested to know if the writers of this re-boot actually watched the show during its original run.

It's gotten to be really off putting the way these streaming services have been buying up all this 90s nostalgia in order to just re-package it and sell it right back to us. I hardly have any interest in these reboots because of that, even though a lot of that stuff was what I watched growing up.