main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters toy sabers

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jack_Pledian, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack_Pledian

Jack_Pledian Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    i'm making a short video fight sequence of a lightsaber fight.(i am more into fighting choreography) I'm going to buy a toy lightaber but i dont know which one to buy....obi-wan, luke, anakin, anakin/vader(changes color), vader, the obi-wan that can change color, the generic jedi saber, or one of the basic non-light up sabers. i have no intnt on using special effects so im not worried about that and my budget is too low for a force fx saber. gimme some advice! >.<

S_S edit: just unlocking :)

2. MannyP

MannyP Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    although the anakin color changing one is awesome, you cant see the color that good

id reccomend the..
    obi-wan saber

3. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    It depends on the lighting really, The Obi-Wan lightsaber lights up well, as does the Mace windu and Jedi lightsabers. I havent' tried the Dooku one yet...

4. Koza_Toragh

Koza_Toragh Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    Dont use the Dooku saber if you doing anything close to fast. The dooku light is fine, but the saber itself unscrews into three sections. The batteries are in the bottom section, the second section closes the battery section, and finally the blade/emitter section. The battery and second section hasa small screw to keep the batteries in. The blade/emitter section doesn't have a screw to hold it down, so it can twist off farely easly after a bit. EP3 Obi-Wan is nice cuz it has 3 LED, and lights up very nice. The ones that use 2 "C" batteries are heavier then the new ones which use 3 "AA" batteries, at least in the Obi-Wan and my opinion.

But because the basic non-light up saber blade is more durable in my opinion, I'd use those. I've done my own rigerous testing on those, and I'm satisfied.(I like the Qui-Gon one)

5. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I've picked up a few of the toy sabers and dueled with them (with my son) and the Qui-Gon saber was the only one that broke on me. It cracked just below the emitter head, mostly (I think) because of the ribbed design that goes all the way down the hilt, it's just not as sturdy as the others. The AotC Anakin saber is nice but kinda uncomfortable to hold on to with the control box sticking out of the middle like that.

6. Jack_Pledian

May 6, 2005
    thanks! i went out and got the obi wan saber.... knowing it was going to be the most recommended light up saber. my only problem with it is the activation matrix. the corners stab into your hand if u dont use the saber like the Sir Alec Guinness version of Obi-wan (like an old jedi with arthritis). But i'm startint to get the hand of it.... pretty soon everything'll be OK. but i still enjoy talking on the subject so dont think its over.... until this thing is closed of course.....

7. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    to second Jedi_Outcast77, my friends and I duel a lot with the hasbro sabers. The saber that breaks the most frequently is the Qui-Gon one.

8. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    The saber that breaks the most frequently is the Qui-Gon one.

Definately. Mine snapped a while back just below the emitter.

If you're ever to use a Maul saber, be sure to put batteries inside first. Otherwise, it can snap in half., as it did when me and a friend fought with the Maul and Luke sabers.

9. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    The only Hasbro saber I ever had break on me was my Luke one. The blade got some Cyanoacylate glue (Krazy Glue) on it, and the blade shattered. Not pretty.

10. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    The blade got some Cyanoacylate glue (Krazy Glue) on it, and the blade shattered.

:eek: SO that's why mine broke! The blade came out, and i superglued it back in... and the next time i dueled, it shattered :(

I was all kinds of embarassed, too... the guy i was dueling had one of those cheap multi-colored sabers you buy from Disneyland :p

11. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I broke my "kit Fisto" saber, the blade bent, took a pretty good beating though...

12. Young_Punk

Young_Punk Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    I like the darth vader one(except the color which wouldve been better in blue).Its light. i just got it so i dont know if it can stand alot of damage.

13. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    The Hasbro blades are quite durable. They are made from a high-impact plastic so it is very hard to break them., It is possible to crease them if they take too much abuse, but they are durable. One big piece of advice is don't get any Krazy Glue on the blade. It severely weakens the plastic and makes it brittle causing the blade to shatter.

14. Jedi_Exterminator

Jedi_Exterminator Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    I Have the Obi-Wan one

My Previous Sabers was the Darth Maul one, i like the blades, theyre sturdy, The Luke Sabers bent and got shattered, perhaps of glue?

15. Jack_Pledian

May 6, 2005
    i really wish the blades could go all the way into the blade like with the basic blades. ever since the luke and vader sabers came out when i was little, i ound that to b a pet peave (peve?).

16. Jedi_Knight_Mikias

Jedi_Knight_Mikias Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    The ones that light up are NOT that durable. I would go with the ones that go in completely, as they are stronger and will most likely last you longer. I personally have a purple one of these, and do hardcore fights with it. That's been going since episode 2 came out,and it's still in EXCELLENT condition.

17. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    If I were you I would just use a mop handle. If you wanna do FX on the cheap then use the Gimp, or head over to fan films for some advice.

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    It is possible to crease them if they take too much abuse, but they are durable.

Both of my sabers that I have now (Obi-Wan and Anakin/AotC) have a few dings and creases in them but neither one has shown any signs of breaking or folding over.

The ones that light up are NOT that durable.

The only toy sabers that I have ever bought were the ones that light up and have the sound effects built in and they are very durable! The only one that I had where the plastic used was thin and flimsy was my 2nd Darth Maul saber (not the one that had the locking clips to hold the blade into the hilt, but the other one where the blade was permanately sticking out). The plastic was less than half the thickness of the other sabers and just didn't hold up.

I would go with the ones that go in completely, as they are stronger and will most likely last you longer.

Plus these sabers are much less expensive so if you destroy one you're not throwing away $30 and shelling out another $30 to replace it.

19. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Posted by Jack_Pledian

i really wish the blades could go all the way into the blade like with the basic blades. ever since the luke and vader sabers came out when i was little, i ound that to b a pet peave (peve?).

I mentioned this to Dave Reeves of Hasbro when I was at C3, I don?t think they ever even considered it. The only ones that it wouldn't be possible would be Luke's RotJ lightsaber, Obi-Wan's RotS-ANH one, and Dooku's. I have been working on a design for a new light-up lightsaber using the Hasbro blade, which can fully collapse into the handle. I have the plans done, I just need to have it built.

20. Jack_Pledian

May 6, 2005
    tramp. you rock to the max!

21. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Thanks. Glad you think so. Adobe Illustrator is a wonderful program for working on designs like this. I went through about 4 variations before I came up with the final design. Hopefully it won?t cost too much to have built. The only real concern I have is how to get sound effects. There really isn't all that much space, certainly not enough for the original circuit board. If anyone knowd where I can get a good sound module I would be in hog heaven.

22. Koza_Toragh

Koza_Toragh Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    Well here's a new toy saber:

SW Episode III Ultimate Build Your Own Lightsaber

It supposedly comes with a "Star Wars Jedi Lightsaber Training DVD. I'll get one when it comeso ut and see if it's worth it. For $40, you can expect it have alot. Either that or the price is just jacked up. what do you people think of it?

23. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    I remember the old inflatable Lightsabers from the old days! LOL!!

24. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Koza, that looks quite interesting. I'm definately going to get it. it will be interesting what kinds of color combinations you can get by using different crystals and filters.

25. SpastikMonkii

SpastikMonkii Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Anyone know how the Windu RotS Hasbro is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.