main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toys 'R' Us memories

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Juke Skywalker, Mar 18, 2018.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Lucky you. I saw a sign for a new toy shop opening in the same mall where our TRU was - 'Toy Bauhaus'. I took a look at their website and it looks like the only SW items they would stock are Lego. They don't list Hasbro among their brands on offer. So I guess they probably won't get any of my money when they open.

2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Took a selfie buying what may be my last TRU purchase..and it was a good one..an AT-ACT marked down 50%. This store is going to be missed. I plan on being there on the 30th, anyone else?

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News

And Australia's TRU stores are now to close since they couldn't find a buyer. (Babies R Us as well). No date given but if you are there and have a gift card or voucher they will generally be accepted til July 5. So get shopping!

whostheBossk and Juke Skywalker like this.
  4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Never really had much use for ToysRUs in the heyday of my collecting as they were overpriced. I do remember it being very fun when I was very little. I had a lot of fun hunting for a POTF2 Yoda(which I never did manage to find as a kid)

Juke Skywalker and whostheBossk like this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    CNN Story - Best Buy to expand their toy section and redesign the toy pages on their website to try to pick up TRU customers. If you have a store near you it might be worth keeping an eye out there.

DarthJaceus and whostheBossk like this.
  6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
  7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Article mentions stores in Europe. I wonder if it will return to the UK?

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm sure it's coming back w/o the space slug who willingly sold off the company in the first place.

whostheBossk and LAJ_FETT like this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    One of my favorite memories is of the many times my grandma would take my brother and I to TRU and we'd wait in line before the store opened. It was a regular thing to have people waiting like that for SW stuff. Then we'd get our haul and come back home, some we opened, others we kept in the box that we are still in possession of today.

I was a kid at the time, but now that I look back, there were plenty of adults as well who would race down those aisles to see what new SW toys were available. That must have been a cool time to be a collector as an adult.

I'm also glad that Force Friday these past several years has given a lot of SW fans some last opportunities to shop at TRU before it went out of business. I know at the time of the news a lot of people my age had said that they can't even remember the last time they were in one. So I'm glad I was able to.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    whostheBossk likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    First time I went to a TRU here in the UK was when I had to go to our Hayes office for a meeting. There was one not far from the office so I stopped on my way home. First thing I saw was a Jango Fett Room Alarm. (Bought). I also managed to get Ephant Mon there.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    This is my favorite Toys “R” Us memory.

whostheBossk likes this.