main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Chapter 33: The Queen's Gambit DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Moleman1138, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss TPM chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: The Phantom Menace and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 33: The Queen's Gambit
    DISCUSSION: January 26, 2005 - January 30, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 97:15 - 98:59

Synopsis:
    The Naboo ship heads toward the home planet. In the cockpit, Anakin learns some piloting controls from Ric Olie. Meanwhile in the ship's throne room, the entire entourage explains to the Queen that coming back to Naboo is not in their advantage. They will be caught and arrested. Queen Amidala will be forced to sign the treaty as pointed out by Captain Panaka. Everyone is concerned. Amidala says that she will take back what is theirs. However, Panaka and Qui-Gon continue to say that there are not enough soliders and the Jedi cannot get involved. This puts the queen in a predicament. She turns to Jar Jar Binks asking for help. The ship continues to Naboo. Only one battleship is detected as the ship begins its descent into the forest. Jar Jar has gone to find the Gungans. Meanwhile, Obi-Wan apologizes to Qui-Gon for his actions earlier. Yet he is grateful for his master's opinion of him. Qui-Gon comforts him by saying that Kenobi is wiser than he and forsees him to be a great Jedi. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Now we are in the third act as we head back to where we started this film and saga in the first place, Naboo. Now Amidala returning with a plan and ready to take back the planet under her democratic reign.

A workable chapter that bridges Coruscant to Naboo. We needed to see some more scenes on the ship, adding some character development. I never favored the cockpit scene. Even it does show Anakin around switches and technical buttons, it doesn't really show Anakin as a good pilot. We got that already in the podrace as we will later in the climax of this film.

The conflict that the Jedi can't help Amidala and minimal soldiers does give the upper hand to the Trade Federation. It's excellent that we have that so the Gungans are brought back into the film and there can be mutual peace between Naboo and the Gungans. It also relates to what Jar Jar was saying earlier about the Gungans being warriors, so it does tie that up fairly well.

The end is very well executed. Obi-Wan is wiser than Qui-Gon, yet both do have a deal to play in the fall of the Republic. Qui-Gon is in my opinion realizing his past mistakes both on-screen and not. Good chapter.

2. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    there's a rumble in the excitement level in this chapter. it's the beginning of lots of action but it ends with the poignant exchange between obi wan and qui gon and we remember this and what is lost. let's also remember that here you can see the strength of both amidala and JAR JAR! - the earlier conversation between the queen and jar jar will now reap the harvest: if the jedi can not participate in winning a war jar jar's people can and will. the colors are also what i remember: funeral black worn by the queen that is replaced with other wardrobes almost mirroring her passivity evolving to a war room general. the scenes aboard the ship are vivid. obi wan reveres qui gon and seeks and receives forgiveness in the form of praise of his wisdom and a vision of his future as a great jedi knight. this exchange and this relationship are part of the power of this film

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    nothing too special here, except for the effects done by ILM, which are fantastic. the information spoken by everybody is already known (or can be easily figured out by any viewer), doesn't mean the scene is bad, it's just nothing to get excited about.

4. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I think that the exchange between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan provides the highlight of this particular chapter. I am not terribly enamoured of the short scenes which preceed it, particularly those involving Ric Olie, whose intonations and line deliveries are far too stilted for my liking. The scenes aboard the Naboo ship serve their purpose as necessary pieces of transitional exposition; information is communicated in a straightforward manner which helps with the progression of the plot. As I have already mentioned, the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan business is (emotionally) the most interesting aspect of this chapter - we are briefly allowed a simple character aside, which helps not only to further develop their relationship and personalities, but also to provide some brief respite from the more obfuscatory political issues which will characterize the following scenes.

5. Emperor_Gunray

Emperor_Gunray Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    The exchange between Qui Gon and Obi Wan is the highlight here, a good character moment between the two Jedi which foreshadows the end of the film and Ob Wans future.

6. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I really do believe they needed to explain on screen why the Blockade shrank down to one ship. At least for the casual viewer who won't research why.

I like the talk between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. It's a father son moment.

7. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I thought it was already obvious why the blockade shrank down to one ship because Nute Gunray told Sidious that the Trade Federation is in complete control of Naboo so there was no need for the extra ships blocking the planet.

8. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    I really do believe they needed to explain on screen why the Blockade shrank down to one ship. At least for the casual viewer who won't research why.

Never occured to me, IMO the movie and this chapter in particular are so wraped up in other stories that the reasons why the Federation are there, is irrevlent by this point. I cant believe I've never thought about that tho in all the times I've seen it!

This chapter works well in fixing the Anakin issue bewteen Kenobi/Jinn and it shows that the Gungans are ready to lend their army to help liberate Naboo.
    Also just before the chapter ends we get to see that Sidious has alerted the TF of what is going to happen, teasing the audience because we know what happened last time Maul was close to the heros.

9. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    This really shows that Jar Jar will actually do something important in this movie.

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). TPM Chapter 34: A Plea to the Gungans DISCUSSION will be made available 12:00 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

11. Bruce_the_Bith

Bruce_the_Bith Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2005
    Moleman, do you work for Lucasarts?

12. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    This chapter was great. The part with Anakin and Ollie is great. It always makes me smile. And I always think of Vader in his TIE Advanced when I see this scene or any other piloting scene with Anakin.

I like the part with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Though...knowing what I know about RotS, the whole Obi-Wan being wiser thing may be a bit of modesty by Qui-Gon afterall. ;)

This is also a fat Ewan scene, is it not?

13. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Unfortunately I don't Bruce :( , but getting back to the chapter, Natalie just looks so beautiful in the purple. This is really the first time, we see her take charge on the ship. Last time, she was just the handmaiden.

14. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    I know it's forbidden, but there is one small comment in this thread that makes me want to spoil sth about ROTS. Uh... It's so hard to resist the temptation. [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.