main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Chapter 36: "Wipe Them Out" DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Moleman1138, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss TPM chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: The Phantom Menace and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 36: "Wipe Them Out"
    DISCUSSION: February 10, 2005 - February 14, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 104:35 - 106:12

Synopsis:
    Back at the Naboo Palace, Viceroy Gunray, his second in command Haako and Darth Maul speak to Sidious. Gunray tells his master that he is sending his troops to meet the army from the swamps. Sidious is pleased even though the queen temporarily ruined his plan. He tells them to wipe out all enemies. The Gungans on Kaadus emerges through the mists riding to battle. Followed by a horn, they come out to the grassy plains, waiting for their enemy. Tarpals and Jar Jar order a halt as the energy shield emerges around the army. Battle tanks and MTTs come over the other side of the plains and fire upon the Gungans. No damage is done. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    The preparation for the battle moves on in this chapter. We can see both fronts preparing for war in the most classic fashion. Short to some degree, but enough of a filler to get us ready for the actual battle.

The conversation with the Holo-Sidious is probably one of the most memorable minor scenes of the movie. Sidious' line "Wipe them out, all of them" is well executed, but it takes me by surprise that all of them means Anakin too. He has no more use for the queen and this battle proves it. Let the greed enrapture the Trade Federation as change begins in the Senate.

The Gungans riding off to battle is an incredible sequence from a cinematographer's point of view. I love the mist and the horn and the tanks coming over the ridge. It's just so well done, that it initally makes the battle mean something. I was never too crazy about the bubble shield idea, but it's always good to see new technology. It works as nothing more than a temporary safety mechanism.

Pretty good chapter. As I said before, it was too short, but since they have to cram a multi-level battle in 20 minutes, I see why this is. Maybe some poor editing earlier on, but this works out to some degree.

2. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Nice little tension builder of a chapter, but Sidious get the best moment with what immediately becomes a classoc line.

Wipe them out, all of them...

3. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    good chapter

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Any scene with Palps is a winner in my book. This
    scene is really a sort of calm before the storm. From
    here the movie picks up the pace and starts to redeem
    itself a bit from a sluggish middle.

5. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    I absolutely love the shot of the Gungans coming out from the mist. It's one fo my favorite shots of the saga. :D

6. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    I absolutely love the shot of the Gungans coming out from the mist.

I do too. I'm glad they used it in the trailer too.

And I love the line "Wipe them out. . . all of them."

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    As it is with most Star Wars movies, with future generations, I think Sideous' "Wipe them out" line is going to become something of a fan favorite. Not as big, perhaps, as something like "May the Force be with you," but it's definitely a memorable piece of dialogue and very well delivered by McDiarmid. :)

Again, agree on the visuals. Very nice use of CGI. Definitely sets a tense mood for the battle ahead. Also, it's nice to see the Gungans portrayed as primitive but still fairly efficient. Even with their technology restricted to Naboo, they have shields that easily defend against the droids.

8. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Classic line. I liked the moving hologram machine too. It's the last time we see "Darth Sidious" in the film and that was good. Because it made you forget that he was still out there even after the battle was all done.

The battlefield was interesting. It looked like a beautiful day on Naboo. Bright green grass. Blue skies. Two armies waiting to kill each other. :p

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I agree with war_monger on the Gungans coming out of the mist, I still get chills when I see it. :D "Wipe them out, all of them" is a great addition to the mass quantity of great & memorable Star Wars lines. :cool:

10. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    This is a good chapter. I agree with the opinions of others here in that Sidious' "Wipe them out - all of them." line is certain to be an oft-quoted classic. The shot of the Gungan army emerging from the mist-shrouded forest is, as aforementioned, truly magnificent; it is a wondrous image, held nicely by director Lucas, a shot in which he is able to attain a sense of grand mystery and awe. The reveal of the Droid army as it approaches the battlefield is likewise stunning in its 'mechanical' foreboding. Upon initially viewing this film, I didn't hold these specific scenes in high regard - I found them to be perfunctory and underwhelming. Now, I have come to my senses and realized the visual splendor of these shots; they never fail to inspire awe.

11. radgeeb

radgeeb Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2004
    The "Wipe them out, all of them" statement in the Trailer sent chills down my spine.

I was like "here it is, this is where Palpatine gets rid of them pesky Jedi and begins his ascendacy to becoming the Emperor. Partly right. Executed better in the trailer than in the movie. My imagination took hold but I guess Lucas needed something for EP2 and EP3.

12. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    It looked like a beautiful day on Naboo. Bright green grass. Blue skies. Two armies waiting to kill each other.

[face_laugh]

Excellent scenes.

George Lucas may not write perfect scripts, but he definitely writes memorable ones.

- O_F

13. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Sidious's line here is brilliant.

14. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    that "wipe them out" line could be seen as a defeat on sidious' part - this really isn't the way he wanted to conquer naboo but he's impatient and wants to be done with it. and regarding anakin being included in the propsective casualties, i don't think sidious knew about anakin's talents yet. the line toward the end of phantom indicating palps will watch his career with great interest comes after anakin has displayed his "skills". the battlefield does has have incredible visuals but......well that's another chapter?

15. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Great chapter.

I also liked when Sidious tells the TF "this is an unusual move for her". Note his lips, when he says ...move for her". I like that part. His blood starting to boil ever so slightly.

This is where we get the stronger connection that Sidious has "known" Amidala. Could he be Palpatine...naah! ;).

Anyway, he is disconcerted with her tenacity. At the same time we see Sidious altering plans a little, making it an advantage...again! :cool:

16. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Two great parts in this. I love the part with the Gungans coming out of the swamp. I think they definately should have left in the longer scene in this. I think this was the very first shot of the teaser trailer, was it not?

And what can I say about the Sidious line? This is the classic "the die is cast" line of the movie. It's on now! That line always says to me "ok, action from here on out."

This scene acts as a great intro to the pure action that follows it. The suspense of the darkness of that Theed hall, the misty swamp, the tanks slowly rollling over the hills (droids not seen yet).

Very well done by Lucas to increase the pace and anticipation.

17. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Are the tanks cresting over the hill an homage to the Seven Samuari or the Battle of the Bulge??

18. D-B

D-B Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2004
    This to me is one of those subtle moments of the prequel trilogy. The now famous "Wipe them out...all of them" line signals to me the biggest event of TPM, maybe even the saga, and the one that occured offscreen - Palpatine's election to the supreme chancellorship. For the whole movie Darth Sidious has wanted the queen to sign the treaty to legitimize the occupation and to get him the sympathy vote he needs in the senate. However, since she herself called for the vote of no confidence in Valorum he's going to get the sympathy vote anyway and now she's just a thorn in his side (as she is in AOTC and will most probably be in Ep. III). The line, while being really cool and having a great delivery by Ian McDiarmid, does note a shift in Darth Sidious and is important to understanding his character. Once he's got what he needs from you you're done (literally and figuratively). He can now order her to be wiped out because he got exactly what he needed from the Naboo blockade: Palpatine is Supreme Chancellor.

19. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). TPM Chapter 37: Retaking the Palace DISCUSSION will be made available 12:00 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

20. radgeeb

radgeeb Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2004
    Well said D-B. Either way Sidious would've managed to get what he wanted. I think with Amidala choosing to fight instead of signing the treaty, Palpatine actually got control of the senate quicker than he expected.

It's funny, even though I thought TPM was a total let down, there are some great parts in it like this that would've really stood out more if Lucas hadn't jammed so much other stuff in it.

The PT and OT are different styles of movie based on the same characters and storyline, however I feel that the 'Wipe them out...all of them' would've fit better in the OT rather than the PT. It was that good.

21. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    This would be one of my fave sceens. . the 'wipe them out. . .all of them' is a very good line. . .and the whole Gungans coming out of the mist is awsome. . . just a powerful and well played sceen.

22. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    "Wipe them out... all of them" is one of my favourite lines in TPM. Very good chapter, too.

23. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    It's a good scene and line, but it's been ages since I last watched TPM.

24. Taivasvaeltaja

Taivasvaeltaja Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2003
    "Wipe them out. All of them."

It's funny how great one line can be.

25. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    It's not the line... its the delivery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.