main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Defense Force

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Welcome, my lady! :)

2. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Hi, strilo, nice place you've got here!

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's not my place... it's all these peoples'...

:)

4. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    And the people asks you kindly to pass the Duffs....

5. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    strilo,

I know. That's why I only post in here when I have something nice to say about TPM. I loved the Queen's costumes.

They were Oscar-worthy. I found them quite stunning.

6. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I know. That's why I only post in here when I have something nice to say about TPM. I loved the Queen's costumes.

They were Oscar-worthy. I found them quite stunning.

All of the costumes in both AOTC and TPM are Oscar-worthy. I hope Trisha Biggar get's something for Ep3. I mean really what she makes is really cool. :)

7. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    dan,

I would've mentioned AOTC, too, but this is the TPM defense force. I loved the costumes in AOTC, too. :)

I do hope Ep. III gets some Oscar nominations! If the costumes are as stunning as the ones in TPM and AOTC, it will certainly deserve a nomination!

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    One of my favourite TPM costumes is actually Palpatine's. I think it's WONDERFUL and doesn't remind me of any one influence from elsewhere.

9. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I don't understand all the attention payed to that human female.

We Nemodians are by far the best dressed individuals in all of Star Wars.

10. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Yes, those costumes are great, too! That's why I think TPM deserved a nomination for costume design!

And AOTC!

11. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    My fondness for TPM costumes is well-known, particularly the hats.

I am particularly fond of Panaka's hat, and am a VERY well-documented fan of Nute Gunray's silly hat.

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    I do hope Ep. III gets some Oscar nominations! If the costumes are as stunning as the ones in TPM and AOTC, it will certainly deserve a nomination!

We can only wait.

13. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    The costumes do so much to establish the new look and feel of the PT.

On the TPM DVD documentary, Lucas looks nervous when he talks about embracing fashion in this film, as opposed to staying away from it in the OT.

The style and flair of the costumes tells us so much about what a different galaxy it was back in the Republic era, as opposed to the Empire era. Not as much oppression, much more room for individual expression.

Yet another way Lucas is able to brilliantly set a tone or tell a story with visuals alone.

14. Lukecash

Jun 6, 2001
    There is a certian elegance in the design of the TPM clothing...as well as siplicity.

Note Darth Sidious and the Jedi share one trait...there robes are not fancy as the politician, nor as glamerous as the soldiiers. Darth Mauls thought, monocrome- boarders on glamerous.

15. Darth_Fless

Darth_Fless Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    I know there is a Film and Music forum, but I'll post this here: TPM's music is fantasic, too.
    Did it win any awards?

16. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Nope sorry to say it did not. :( That I know of any ways.

17. Panesar

Panesar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    wait, i heard a lot about this gusher's santcuary, can sum1 plz explain.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    What is there to explain?

As for the music, the score not being even NOMINATED for an Oscar was one of the travesties the Academy committed in 1999.

19. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    The Music for TPM is the Best Music in the entire Series... You could tell that John Williams had had some Ideas over the drought between ROTJ and TPM. The Most Dissapointing aspect of AOTC for me was that the Music didn't live up to the brilliance that is TPM.

And it is not just "Duel of the Fates". I love the Childrens' Chorus that sings the Emperors theme form Jedi as a Celebration instead of a durge.

Simply put. Genius.

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's no wonder that Star Wars doesn't earn the Oscar nominations that it deserves. With the Academy being as confused as it is, I'd be surprised if EpIII got more nominations than the special FX one. If even that.
    But who knows? Maybe they'll give GL a special award for completing the saga. That would be shocking, but still not, since the Academy is so inconsistent. Such a move would earn golf applause from me, nothing more.

TPM is the most beautiful episode, BTW :)
    I'm still marvelled by how good the introduction scenes are. Both Sidious and Palpatine are introduced as holograms and Amidala on a video screen. It's beautiful!
    It occured to me yesterday, though, that a first-timer might think(in the beginning) that Palpatine, Sidious and Maul are some kind of ghostlike creatures that can appear and disappear as they please. It's not until later that it becomes clear what these holograms are.

21. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Lucas Adresses that in the comentary... That's why he had the balcony scene with Siddious and Maul... To show that Siddious was indeed Flesh and Blood.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yah exactly. I do think it was necessary to visually show that. Still, they do refer to communications when Palpatine's hologram breaks up, so any smart audience member is gonna realize that it's a video phone, basically.

23. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    As for the music, the score not being even NOMINATED for an Oscar was one of the travesties the Academy committed in 1999.

Very much agreed. I regret to admit but I have very little faith in the Oscars anymore: it seems more of a political soapbox rather then a measure of any theatrical respect. ([/end Academy bashing])

But if TPM was to be nominated for anything; costumes and musical score would be top on the list. (Especially costumes, Wow!)

And since Lord of the Rings swept the floor last time; hopefully in the coming years sci-fi/fantasy genres will get more recognition for their work. :)

24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    strilo,

You got that right! Hey, academy, are you all tone deaf or what?!

25. Lukecash

Jun 6, 2001
    Actually, I beleived that the Acedemy re-wrote the rules for orginal music as well...I beleive that the movie must have a certian % of original soundrack material. It was a ruling that was supposed to limit guys like John Williams from winning constantly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.