main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Defense Force

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    My list:

1981:
    1. ANH
    2. ESB

1983:
    1. ROJ
    2. ESB
    3. ANH

1987 (rediscovered the films)
    1. ESB
    2. ROJ
    3. ANH

1999:
    1. TPM
    2. ESB
    3. ROJ
    4. ANH

2002:
    1. AOTC
    2. ROJ
    3. ESB
    4. TPM
    5. ANH

An explanation......I've grown to enjoy ROJ more since learning more about Anakin's origin and rise to Jedi Knighthood. It made his dialogue with Luke, and subsequent fight and death that much more powerful to me.

While TPM dropped from 1-4 for me doesn't mean I like the film "less." It just means as the PT develops, the OT is further enhanced. And if I were to assign a number value to each film, they are all between like 9.8-10.0 anyway. So it's not like I dislike ANH in the least. I just happen to like the others more.

2. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I realized one day that the love story doesn't work in the slightest. Women fall in love with guys who show them a good time, who make them laugh, not the moody stalkerish types who committ mass murder. Watching it recently I was struck by how incogruous Padme's "truly deeply" line actually was. It literally comes out of nowhere.

3. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Well, some women fall in love with the dangerous guy...they guy they feel needs their help and nuturing. Padme is not interested in having a good time; she's a person who believes is causes, who fights for others. In TPM, her attraction to Anakin was maternial more than anything else, but when he came back into her life, it grew into love.

I guess what doesn't work for me as much as it once did is the han/Leia romance. I just don't care much about Han like I once did. Probably because Harrison Ford has been so snobby about SW in recent years. That and Luke was always my favorite anyway.

4. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    On the subject of Padme' falling in love with Anakin, I recall an explanation I heard a while back that seemed dead on when explaining things. Padme' confesses her love for Anakin shortly after the fiasco in the droid factory, where as we all know she was almost burned to death with molten steel. At this point she accepts her death and the fact that she will never see Anakin again, realizing how much she truly loves him. After Artoo saves her, Padme' understands that she has been given a second chance to tell Anakin of her true feelings and does so. Did that make any sense?

5. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    My apologies for flooding but I thought it nothing less than appropriate to make my 5,000th post here in what I consider my "home thread", the TPM Defense Force.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Padme and Anakin's relationship started in TPM, even if it wasn't the romantic type. The base of good friendship was there. The fact that Anakin yet again saved her life in AOTC brought her closer to him, and she did really love him. She thought she was going to die, and figured there was no use in hiding her emotions from Anakin any longer. She told him her true feelings, and that was that.

7. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Speaking about ROTJ, Jabba's palace rules. Endor is a bore at best.

8. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I'm with DarthBane... but I said that before...

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Congrats, Dash! :D

10. FuzzyRatt

FuzzyRatt Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2003
    Congrats, -_-_-_-_-_-! Only 54,468 more and you will pass BibFortuna,Twi'lek. 8-}

appleseed's post is the best reason I have seen for Padme's almost change of heart scene. I have know a few girls with the "I can change the dangerous guy" love affairs. They all end badly. [face_devil]

11. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Congrats, -_-_-_-_-_-! Only 54,468 more and you will pass BibFortuna,Twi'lek.

[face_laugh]

It is an adventure that I am willing to take on, my friend!

12. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Unbeknownst to Bib, but knownst to us, there is a secret ModSquad plot to erase his post count when he hits 99,999.

Pass it on.

13. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I don't get how someone can get that many posts. I really can't.

14. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2002
    I think the biggest strength of the execution of TPM was the editing. It seemed flawless to me, one area where I think TPM trumps AOTC. The flow is so easy and natural.

I agree wholeheartedly with that. One thing I found lacking in AOTC was nice transition shots from scene to scene. TPM has some great ones, like the helicopter shot establishing Theed and one I really like on Coruscant where the sun is setting and you see the shadows on the buildings slowly rising. I also think George putting back in the Taxi scene was a nice transition too.

That's another reason I'm enthusiastic for Ep3 since George brought in a real editor again (Roger Barton) instead of leaving the whole task to Ben Burtt like on AOTC.

15. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Unbeknownst to Bib, but knownst to us, there is a secret ModSquad plot to erase his post count when he hits 99,999.

[face_devil]

16. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001

Your cruelty is delicious ;)

I agree that bringing on Roger Barton is a positive step for Ep. 3. For all of its lame love story shortcomings, Pearl Harbor was sharply edited.

My theory on Padme loving Anakin: She identified more with him after his mother was killed. Once they both got to Tatooine, they changed. Anakin took a step towards the dark side and IMO, really wasn't the same character before Tatooine as he was after. That darkness to him was much more apparent.

Padme, being so close to her own family, understood the depth of Anakin's loss of his mother, something which Obi-Wan couldn't understand.As much as women may not want to be with a dark, brooding guy, they also have a weakness for guys who show their emotions as openly as Anakin showed his to her. I think she fell for Anakin in spite of herself.

17. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Have feelings for him? Sure. "Truly deeply love him"? No.

18. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Have feelings for him? Sure. "Truly deeply love him"? No.

Are we still talking about Bib?

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Bib [face_love]

*sigh*

He's so posteriffic.

20. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    I agree that bringing on Roger Barton is a positive step for Ep. 3. For all of its lame love story shortcomings, Pearl Harbor was sharply edited.

Well that's good. I think GL did that because he saw what Ben Burtt did. I still think that AOTC and TPM were edited good. But that was because GL was there. If GL was not there for AOTC Mr. Burtt would have ruined the whole movie. Heck in that space scene between Obi and Jango Ben did not want any music. Then GL and JW came in and said no there will be music that comes in.

Burtt out as head edit guy is a good thing. ;) GL knows how to edit. Paul Martin Smith knows how to edit. Roger Barton knows how to edit. Ben Burtt only knows how to work with sound. He's lucky he still has a job. Again I will say it if not for GL Ben Burtt would have taken out a lot more then what he did. Ben Burtt not GL would have ruined AOTC for me.

Ben is good with sound and that's all he should do. I can tell where GL was not looking over Ben. There are three part of AOTC that I did not like what Ben did to them. They are the Ben vs Jango, Mace vs Jango, and Anakin vs Dooku.

21. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    [image=http://apotheosis.tv/files/Soon_01.JPG] [image=http://apotheosis.tv/files/Soon_05.JPG] [image=http://apotheosis.tv/files/Soon_02.JPG]

Sooner or later, I will have an assignment from College where I have to demonstrate my abilities to create a simple but effective program for most people to use. I have started making a Quiz for Episode I and I hope to have it finished by the end of April.

Would anyone here be interested in testing this program when I finish it? :)

22. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    I would say I would but it depends on what it will do. I don't want it to crash my computer. :p

23. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Just some general questions about Episode I. Look here for more information. I haven't figured out where I am going to put it on the internet for people to download or use.

24. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    In that case sure I don't mind testing it out. ;)

25. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Send me over a copy when it's done, J_L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.