main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Defense Force

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Or Berry Berry Kix!

Geez, I'm getting hungry, I'm going to get a snack. 8-}

2. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    If AOTC adds on to the plot of TPM, then I will be very pleased. I love the way each movie in Star Wars adds a new layer to the previous movies.

3. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Just want to take the thread off-topic for a sec...

I'm sorry for bringing my issues with B_S into this thread. I just figured that it wouldn't be as bad to post it here, as opposed to posting it in the Basher's sanctuary. I'm guessing that if I had PM'ed it to B_S, he would have just ignored it.
    I realize he's a smart guy, and his posts are well-written and intelligent. It's just that his opinions scratch my very core. I realize that as far as Bashers go, he's in the minority, but sometimes I think to myself, "he must be joking, no one could possibly think like that".
    I mean, I respect him when he's not talking about SW (the series, not ANH), but I just can't respect his opinions on SW. I'm not saying that I'll go around flaming him, though. I'll just keep it to myself.

Anyways, back to this thread...
    I watched TPM again today (I think it's somewhere around the 40th time) and I realized once again how beautiful this film is. It's like a huge oil painting, so lush and deep... it's a perfect, flawless fantasy world.
    The most breathtaking shots, in my opinion, are those of Otoh Gunga... as JarJar & co. approach the city, and we can see how wonderfully detailed it is. Same with Boss Nass' audience chamber. The lighting, the colour palette, absolutely beautiful.

4. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I really thought they shouldve kept the farewell to jira scene in TPM. In the Archival maybe they could? maybe an option to?

But yeah, this movie is good. I wonder how GL will retool the visual quality of the speeder chase in ROTJ after seeing the podrace! Somethings gotta give here.

My best moment in the podrace is when Anakin gets forced onto the service ramp and comes blazing back, also when the pod starts spinning out of control on 1 cable! WHen I first saw that I was blown away that they had even cut this! :D

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    DarthSeti5 this is and always will be your thread. I simply recreated what the Snowboard cleanup destroyed. Because this Sanctuary began life as the TPM Defense Force, it will always have close ties to that DF no matter where it lives. Therefore, the leader of the TPM Defense Force will also lead the Gushers' Sanctuary. And as the technical "creator" of this thread, I will defer to DS5's judgement if ever needed.

6. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I, too, watched TPM again yesterday, and I loved the Otah Gunga scenes. I also really liked the field where the Gungan/battle droid battle takes place. I love the way the field starts off so lush and serene, but is destroyed by the end of the battle.

However, something really bugged me about it that I'd never thought of before. Why doesn't Obi-Wan use force speed to catch up to Qui-Gon and Maul? At the beginning of the movie, you see that he can use it (he and Qui-Gon escape from the destroyer droids with it). Maybe he was tired or something, who knows...

-Patches

7. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    I think Obi over-estimated his speed and thought he could catch them easily. You could always ask the OS Jedi Counsil and hope they answer it.

I loved the Gungan/Droid battle too. Not the JJB hijinks, though. But that shot of the tanks coming over the hill was very impressive. One of my favorites, actually.

8. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Obi didnt want to chance the beams closing again and him being grilled cheese :D

Oh and besides, that takes a lot of energy, and I doubt after battling and force jumping previously, that he had it in him. 2 reasons there.

9. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Another thing I liked was Coruscant, and how busy it is. It's what I'd imagine a city-world to be like.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Malthus?! Been to the AOTC spoilers board lately? :D

Coruscant was great. Especially the night shots outside Palp's guest quarters.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Why doesn't Obi-Wan use force speed to catch up to Qui-Gon and Maul? At the beginning of the movie, you see that he can use it (he and Qui-Gon escape from the destroyer droids with it). Maybe he was tired or something, who knows...

Prolly something to do with the fact that he had been fighting an aggressive and skilled Sith Lord for a long time by that point and did not have the reserves for a Force run at that moment.

12. robfett

robfett Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    General, count me in!

Alright I have a question.

So this guy is buggin me about the pronounciation of "Coruscant." And he says that the radio drama CD pronounces it with the hard c. And then goes on to argue about how Lucas changed it in TPM and that he isn't familiar with his own universe! And as the gusher that I am I am ashamed that I didn't come up witha good reply. Can anyone help me?

13. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Well, I think most people agree that the movies are the final word on any issue. I think George changed his mind. There is no reason he should restrict himself or his movies because of the radio drama. Thats kind of silly.

14. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Hmm, even with bashers posting here this topic is still 5 pages behind the Basher Sanctuary! :)
    I'd also like to put in a good word for Binary Sunset. I don't agree with much of his opinion on Star Wars post 1977, but I've always enjoyed debates with him. I just hope he finds something to enjoy in Attack of the Clones. I know I will.

15. Ardens_Furore

May 14, 2001
    Maybe that WAS Force Speed? I always thought the red force fields were security devices - but that means anyone can go through them. My personal theory is that they open and close for a VERY short time, like a refresh cycle. So every few minutes, it opens for a brief second - and only Jedi can make their way through it. The whole scene is slowed down to add to the tension.

If not this theory, then it's because the Jedi don't use the Force all the time. Qui-Gon certainly didn't use it to run away from the MTT on Naboo.

16. Hatter

Apr 16, 2001
    I always just assumed that Obi-Wan was pretty much exhausted at that point, and that he wasn't really focused enough to pull off the Force speed.

17. PloKloon1138

Apr 5, 2001
    There's a particular point in TPM that I just love, it's when Qui, Obi, Padme, and Anakin are sneaking back to the palace. Padme then uses this laser pointer thing with Panaka on the other side. Then the music swells up, and one of the land speeders fires on a droid tank. The music plays a happy, instrumental version of DOTF, and that's really when all of the action starts. I just love that scene! :D

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The whole "OB1 why no force-speed to save Maul?" question I always thought was well explained with the Ob1 is tired and has to rest up his powers.

Even Qui-Gon had to rest to re-focus his energies.

19. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    <<I just wanted to throw this in on the "Evil Bashers" topic;

If it wasn't for "bashers" like Binary_sunset, TrueJedi, hawk, Quixotic Sith, stone jedi and many, many others obviously put a lot of thought into their posts as they try to express WHY they didn't like TPM, then I wouldn't have asked myself as many questions about the film, and wouldn't like it as much. And there's no WAY I'd be coming to this forum anywhere near as often. (Whether THAT's a good thing I'm not too sure... )

While there are undoubtedly bashers who are closed-minded, the same could be said for gushers. If you're not prepared to listen to people with different views and opinions in a discussion forum, then why bother coming? And blind love of a film really won't help you to enjoy it as much as you could. >>

Yeah, without us bashers, there wouldn't really be any gushers. Things would be pretty boring here if everyone agreed on TPM.

"Wow, TPM was a pretty good movie"

"I agree"

"Me too."

"So how about the Senate scene? That was pretty good"

"I agree."

"Me too."

20. Hatter

Apr 16, 2001
    B_S dislikes Yoda.
    That's not an opinion, that's clinical insanity. ;)

21. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    <<I agree that the Senate election should have been shown. Even now, I don't know how they elect chancellors in the Republic.

But then again, if it was shown, it would alter the pacing of the movie and focus too much on Palpatine and the operation of the Senate (which would ruin the "phantom" part of the menace - really, the lack of focus on Palpatine does underscore just how elusive the Sith are) >>

I would much rather have a movie focusing on Palpatine then one on Jar-Jar. But that is just me.

Anyway, I try not to be insulting when I put forth all my opinions, and I don't think the whole movie "sucks". But I believe much of the way the story and characters were handled did.

One of the things I like about TPM is all those details that were put into the background. Those types of things just make it fun to watch on DVD. I don't doubt that a lot of work went into this movie. I just wish that more of it had gone into the story and characters. The OT is like this too. Crap, I wish they would release those on DVD's, too. They don't even have to put any extras on them. They can wait until 2006 for that, and so can I. What I do want is the ability to watch the Endor Battle Scenes Frame-by-Frame, to identify those mysterious ships in ESB's closing scene, and marvel at the detail of the Star Destroyer model at the beginning of ANH. Oh, and in the bashers sanctuary, I was defending TPM's ship desgign's, too. I for one liked them.

That lightsaber duel at the end is wonderful, although it could have used a little more emotion, IMO.

22. Ardens_Furore

May 14, 2001
    Yeah, without us bashers, there wouldn't really be any gushers. Things would be pretty boring here if everyone agreed on TPM.

No, it wouldn't. It'll be more like the OT forum, which has far more interesting discussions because people don't slam the movie all the time. The bashing really is getting old.

Besides, I think some people are offended when bashers say "Jar Jar was a stupid character." Does that imply that since I like Jar Jar, I'm stupid too? Or TPM had a shallow story. Does that imply that if I thought it had good depth that I lack the proper maturity of mind?

23. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    You know what I think is the single coolest moment in TPM? During the final duel, when Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Maul are separated by the force fields and Qui-Gon kneels down, CLOSES HIS EYES and starts to meditate. I thought this told us more about his character than anything else in the movie. In one way, it shows us that Qui-Gon is not afraid of Maul and trusts his own skills. But there's an arrogance to it, too, which is something else that Qui-Gon has. To me, this is the most Jedi-like thing anyone does in the movie.

24. Ardens_Furore

May 14, 2001
    I loved the way the 3 characters are each embodied by their actions in that scene. Obi-Wan is impatient, Qui-Gon is calm and Darth Maul is arrogant. It shows the contrast between Sith, Jedi master and Jedi apprentice.

25. PloKloon1138

Apr 5, 2001
    Yes, I too particularly loved that moment when Qui just meditated while Maul paced back and forth, very impatient. Said much more than any words could. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.