main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Defense Force

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    <<eah, without us bashers, there wouldn't really be any gushers. Things would be pretty boring here if everyone agreed on TPM.

No, it wouldn't. It'll be more like the OT forum, which has far more interesting discussions because people don't slam the movie all the time. The bashing really is getting old.

Besides, I think some people are offended when bashers say "Jar Jar was a stupid character." Does that imply that since I like Jar Jar, I'm stupid too? Or TPM had a shallow story. Does that imply that if I thought it had good depth that I lack the proper maturity of mind? >>

When I say stuff like that, I don't mean to imply anything like that. That's just the way I feel. I really don't think you are stupid for thinking the characters are great while I don't, for example. I think that is the way a lot of other bashers feel, though. WHen I post stuff like that about the characters, I try to sound like I am not forcing things on anyone, by mentioning that that is my opinion. It might not always come off that way, though, but if it has, I apologize.

Oh, and I don't know about you, but I post more here than I do in the OT. Everytime I bring up something interesting, like about a deleted scene or something over there, no one seems to care.

2. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    This is a bit of a digression but I will post more about the good parts of TPM in a few days. I have a few points on how the visual effects add to the story, the importance of luck in the final battle and how it pertains to Anakin and the thematic implications of the underwater sequence.

Anyway...

When I say stuff like that, I don't mean to imply anything like that. That's just the way I feel. I really don't think you are stupid for thinking the characters are great while I don't, for example. I think that is the way a lot of other bashers feel, though. WHen I post stuff like that about the characters, I try to sound like I am not forcing things on anyone, by mentioning that that is my opinion. It might not always come off that way, though, but if it has, I apologize.

That's the thing. Whenever anyone says something negative about something other people like, there can be problems. On this board it's not so prevalent, but on Usenet generally, people are much less guarded about what they say and the TPM bashers are frequently very rude. For example, I was posting to a non-SW group about having been spoiled for TPM and someone deliberately (almost troll-like) points out how stupid everything was about it, even though I previously stated that I liked it. The way it was phrased implied that any intelligent person won't enjoy it. And these things happen so many times and in so many forums that it spills over. I come to this forum and see similar comments and it all just mixes together. So I definitely don't enjoy the implications.

[edit: deleted last paragraph because I don't think it makes sense]

3. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I post more here than I do in the OT. Everytime I bring up something interesting, like about a deleted scene or something over there, no one seems to care.

SO you bash TPM here and get your attention that way? :confused: C'mon! I mean people that absolutely hate this movie as a whole shouldnt be posting here anyway if all theyre gonna do is wait until someone says something nice about it, then tear em apart.

However, I do see some nice posts in this topic from "bashers". Good stuff. I mean its ok to dislike some parts, but please tell us when you like things as well instead of railing about negative stuff constantly.

4. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    <<I post more here than I do in the OT. Everytime I bring up something interesting, like about a deleted scene or something over there, no one seems to care.

SO you bash TPM here and get your attention that way? C'mon! I mean people that absolutely hate this movie as a whole shouldnt be posting here anyway if all theyre gonna do is wait until someone says something nice about it, then tear em apart. >>

I try not to do that when someone says i something nice about the movie. Oh, and if I posted about TPM there, it would get locked for "being off topic", and rightfully so. B

I find it interesting when I say, "deleted scene" and no one gives a damn, but I say " god, Jar-Jar was annoying", everyone all of a sudden cares. That reflects as much on you as it does on me. You don't have to respond and find ways to prove me wrong, but you do. And I find the discussions entertaining, for the most part.

5. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Has anyone else noticed how dead the boards are lately? As of now, there are only 10 threads that have been active since midnight JC time. Have that many people left already?

6. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I don't know, most people seem to be staying. My best guess is that everyone is either:

1) At school or work
    or
    2) On spring break and sleeping in!!! :D

-Patches

7. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Well, I've been very busy lately, trying to get all my college work done and handed in, so that's the reason why I've not been around in sometime, but as I'm on half term at the moment, hopefully I should be around far more often, so I should be able to sort out problems if anybody has any, so just PM me :D.

8. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Hehe, in the US you are probably right. But its gotta be evening somewhere.

Yay! Oakessteve is back! Hi Steve!

9. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    YAWN...these boards are slow... [face_plain]

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    ZZZZzzzz.....WHAT?!...oh....ZZZzzzzz.

11. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Could it be that people are trying to avoid AOTC spoilers? I know that I've been limiting my activity to certain threads.

12. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Heh, that was supposed to be the point of these boards. Stupid trollers.

13. PruneF8ce

Feb 5, 2002
    Id just like to say that the droid massacre in the hangar to get the queen off of naboo is fantastic. "That doesnt compute, your under arrest" ...CRASH! Excellent work there. :D

14. PruneF8ce

Feb 5, 2002
  15. JediDa-cam18

JediDa-cam18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    I have to say Battle Droids have to be the single greatest addition to the PT simply because we get to see those lightsabers go to work, in the OT we never really got that.

16. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    One of my favorite battledroids scenes is the first one on the control ship. First time we really saw Jedis get down to business! :D

17. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    That was my favorite, too, Plo. It was so cool to see Obi and Qui calm, collected, and smooth as they attacked the battle droids. It was a great way to start the movie.

-Patches

18. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    DarthHomer wrote: "I'd also like to put in a good word for Binary Sunset. I don't agree with much of his opinion on Star Wars post 1977, but I've always enjoyed debates with him."

Thanks, DarthHomer! If I've said it once, I've said it a dozen times: DarthHomer is one of the nicest people on these boards! :)

<<looks around and notices where he is>>

I liked the scene in which Amidala tells Palpatine she is returning to Naboo.

<<ducks out>>

19. PruneF8ce

Feb 5, 2002
    Another thing Id like to popint out is the believability of the control panels and readouts in TPM. In ANH it all looks like some star trek episode with blinking lights that basically do nothing but look like christmas decoration, except the inside of the falcon. The Podracer readouts actually looked like they could work, as opposed to the atari graphics of the Tractor beam generator map, the death star plans, and the aiming computers in the fighter jets. They dont look like rapidly produced technology, they look fake.

But Ive gotta say that ROTJ did an exceptional job with this.

Hopefully this will be dealt with in the archivals?

20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Prunef8ce, if you dislike A New Hope so much why don't you start a A New Hope Basher's Sanctuary? :confused:

21. Nord

Nord Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    LOL. Hey! Don't encourage him, SP. :p We have enough work as is. ;)

22. PruneF8ce

Feb 5, 2002
    if you dislike A New Hope so much why don't you start a A New Hope Basher's Sanctuary?

Cause I'm not talking the movie itself. Im talking about the poor technology that was used to create it, and I do notice some other minor problems with it. It just needs tweeking. It has nothing to do with the story.

23. Basil_Hennington

Basil_Hennington Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2002
    stop bashing, prune.

if it was in TPM, you would write a dissertation on why Lucas was a genius for doing it that way.

stop knocking the effects; pay attention to what matters. :)

24. PruneF8ce

Feb 5, 2002
    Dont even start this. Despite what you may think, SFX DOES matter, but the story comes first. I merely brought out the good visuals of TPM compared to some of the downer visuals of ANH. You see, its common knowledge that all SW movies have great stories. Im dismissing that argument and moving on to another topic: visuals. Im not failing to concentrate on the story, that debate is just done already.

if it was in TPM, you would say it is the best idea ever/if it was in TPM, you would write a dissertation on why Lucas was a genius for doing it that way.

Nope. Itd be even more noticeable.

And who thinks showing the blink of an eye jump to lightspeed looks a lot better than a blurred stars graphic? Thats another thing thats good about TPM, visually speaking of course. And I noticed they did it in ESB and ROTJ as well. Excellent.

25. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Hey look, George Lucas posted on this thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.