main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Deleted Scenes DISCUSSION (now discussing: Farewell to Jira)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss the deleted TPM scenes chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 7 chapters to discuss over the next month.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

DS - Chapter 1: Complete Podrace Grid Sequence
    DISCUSSION: April 21, 2005 - April 25, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 0:00 - 6:58

Synopsis:
    The trumpets roar through the starting gate of the Boonta Eve Racetrack. The two headed announcer Fode and Beed commentate from an annoucer's box. All the Outer Rim is represented at the Boonta Eve. The contestants are making their way onto the starting grid and Fode and Beed commentate more. Sebulba and Anakin are introduced at the very end and the crowd cheers. Jar Jar picks a fight with Mars Guo, who he angers by stealing his spotlight. Ratts Tyrell deals with a Pit Droid moment later. Mrs. Tyrell and her three children are sitting on the sidelines. Ark "Bumpy" Roose is introduced accompanied by a musical number performed by Biths in the stands. Ody Mandrell and Anakin Skywalker are then introduced. Everyone cheers. The flags of the racers enter the track. Anakin's flag is held by Threepio. Meanwhile, an Eopie farts in Jar Jar's direction. Shmi comes over to her son and tells him to be safe. Anakin says he will. Sebulba then sabotages Anakin's racer when nobody is looking then confronts the future Jedi. After the confrontation Qui-Gon gives Anakin some advice and puts him in his racer. Jabba is introduced and orders for the race to commence. All the racers rev up. Anakin's supporters ascend the turbolift. Qui-Gon reassures everyone that Anakin is fine. The race begins and the racers take off. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Most of this deleted scene happens to be footage used or reinserted in the DVD cut of Phantom Menace, but there's a few minor details making this quite different that usually seen in this film.

The Podrace is practically a short film to itself and to have a 7 minute grid sequence, I understand slows down pacing unfortunately. The race itself is approximately ten minutes almost equaling the extended grid sequence. The cut on the DVD, extended just a bit is perfect for the race. There's almost this epic Ben-Hur feeling you get from watching.

The Mars Guo incident was average. Unfortunately it's more screentime for Jar Jar. I happen to like the musical number going with Ark "Bumpy" Roose, only because we get to see the Biths do their thing. Then you have the family of Tyrells. I'm glad that was cut out. Not that it's horrible, but talking about some nonsense that Mrs. Tyrell went to the hospital to have another kid or something like that is just dumb.

The extensions were right to be deleted. The main thing about creating a film is pacing. I know we'd all like to see a three-hour Star Wars film, but it aint going to happen if you have slow parts, dragging the feet of the story.

2. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

There was very little difference between this scene and a cartoon aimed at pre-schoolers. Clearly the only reason for it is to play around with CGI using as many wacky creature designs and possible.

3. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    It was nice to see some of the podracers but it did drag on. I just wanted to see the race at that point.

4. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I don't think that this sequence, in its extended form, suffers from the overly infantized nature of its realization, but instead because of its rather endless and methodical structure. The attention to detail and repetitive sequencing of characterizing every single creature who is going to be involved in the podrace gets to be bloated and redundant; at this point, it is of primary importance to focus our interests on the principle characters, namely Anakin and Sebulba, rather than ancillary beings who don't figure prominently into the sequence. The grid scene, as it exists within the film itself, is distracting in its silliness and apparent focus on gastrointestinal rumblings, so I wasn't particularly pleased to see these matters expanded upon and lingered over in a moderately indulgent effects display, which is suggested in the extended version. As it stands independently, apart from the film, I suppose the scene is kind of interesting, but when you contextualize such matters intellectually, it becomes obvious that for pacing reasons, this bit needed to be more judiciously trimmed in order to benefit the film as a whole.

Then you have the family of Tyrells. I'm glad that was cut out. Not that it's horrible, but talking about some nonsense that Mrs. Tyrell went to the hospital to have another kid or something like that is just dumb.

These moments, for me, represent the low point of this sequence, and yes, I am considering the Eopie's flatulence, which comes in as a close second; I know that Lucas enjoys painting his alien characters with human qualities, but this is ridiculous. The entire scenario which concerns Mrs. Tyrell and her hospital stay is too firmly rooted in commonplace trappings to contribute positively to this film; admittedly, it is humorous to regard these fantastic creatures as they behave in terms of "human" activity, but I prefer a slightly mysterious nature to the aliens as well - here, everything seems heavy-handed and banal. The Mos Eisely cantina sequence in "A New Hope" was a perfect example of how the same filmmaker successfully negotiated both characteristics in a seemingly effortless manner.

Clearly the only reason for [this scene] is to play around with CGI using as many wacky creature designs and possible.

I agree; there is far too much emphasis on flashy visuals and character invention, which ultimately interrupts the film's dramatic urgency. Lucas gets too caught up in the side-issues, traits, and quirkiness of his creatures, and it becomes a distraction. Some of this can be fun, but it also important to remember that a little of it does have a tendency to go a long way.

5. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I thought Elan Mak was okay. Mrs.Tyerell was ok, especially since Ratts dies in the race

6. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    I really enjoyed seeing this entire scene as an extra. I though it was pretty well-done, and the pacing was excellent I thought. It was fun to watch.

However, it's totally understandable that they cut it out as the podrace is already a major event even in it's edited form.

Fun scene to watch as an extra, but the right decision was made I think in trimming it down.

7. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). TPM-DS Chapter 2: Extended Podrace Lap Two DISCUSSION will be made available 10:15 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Actually the PT mods would rather you had one thread for each film's deleted scenes. I would be totally willing to edit the thread title each time the discussion moves on.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    DS - Chapter 2: Extended Podrace Lap Two
    DISCUSSION: April 26, 2005 - April 30, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 0:00 - 3:52

Synopsis:
    The race continues in the second lap. Coming down the stretch, Sebulba plays dirty with Clegg Holdfast and sets his pod on fire. Passing through the rock formations, Sebulba is in the front on the competition. Around another corner, debris droids are popped out of a floating machine. Anakin emerges through the natural structures passing his oppenents left and right. Anakin hits a droids and the crowd cheers. Back at the starting grid, Ark Roose enters the pits. Meanwhile, a four arm vendor sells local snacks. Anakin advances into a familiar rock formation, trailing Gasgano who cuts him off with every turn. Going through more formations, Anakin moves ahead of more opponents performing a 360 right before freefalling. He enters the canyon, trailing Sebulba and an unknown podracer who gets blown to pieces. Debris hits the podracer, forcing Anakin to spin out of control. One of his hoses was knocked loose and Anakin uses a shaft magnet to get it back into place. Entering into another canyon, Anakin tries to catch up. The lead racers come around the canyon dune turn occupied by Tuskens. Anakin and Sebulba are lucky. Teemto Pagalies is not. Jawas enter onto the turn taking the debris. The Sandpeople shoot at the locals in anger. Down the track, Sebulba notices Anakin and scorches his racer. They enter the third lap. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    After seeing the somewhat extended lap two in the film, I still feel that's the weakest lap. Adding these extended scenes would improve the tension and action, yet still could make us bored within minutes.

Lap Two is a double edged sword. I like it, but having a twenty minute podrace is very distracting and gets you out of the film. We all know that Anakin wins or why else would there even be a podrace in TPM. GL likes to cut his movies up. It can't be no 212 minute Ben Hur, where you can have a 20 minute chariot race. Don't get me wrong it's good footage.

It does seem repetitive after a while. Anakin loses control; Anakin catches up. Following a mountinous paradigm. I like the extra moments with Tuskens and the scavengous Jawas. From ANH on, I loved the Tuskens and the Jawas and to see more of them beyond the film is welcome. Does anyone know the technical name of the debris droids. I thought they were pit droids at first.

Pretty good. Doesn't belong in a GL cut of the film, but regardless it's still good footage for the diehard. I loved the podrace and if GL wasn't so worried about time, I'd add it. Make it epic like the chariot race.

10. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    The Pod Race went on too long as it is. I actually TPM, but that Pod Race scene is probably the one thing that doesn't get bashed that should.

11. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Actually, I've seen the Pod Race get bashed quite a bit. In fact, I was beginning to think I was one of the few people who still enjoy it. I like the theatrical cut of it better than the DVD cut, though. For one thing, there's some shoddy FX used in the extended stuff. Not all the new stuff, but some. Sure, we know Anakin's going to win, but it's still a cool Star Wars experience on Tatooine.

12. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Nov 14, 2004
    Upon my initial viewing of "The Phantom Menace", the much-maligned pod-race sequence was, I felt, amongst the film's most impressive action setpieces, full of energy and invention. However, my opinion on the matter has changed somewhat, and while I continue to enjoy the sequence, I am now of the mind that it in fact outstays its welcome. The scene being discussed (extended podrace lap two) was wisely excised (or trimmed), I think; the race itself is relatively exciting, despite its rather extensive length, but I think that it really needed to be trimmed for the purpose of filmmaking economy. The humorous aside, featuring the four-armed vendor, is a flourish which typifies the volume of "throwaway" richness often found in the "Star Wars" universe, but here it is part of an unnecessarily bloated sequence. The tension that builds between the various racers as their circuit gradually becomes more perilous is somewhat interesting, but ultimately redundant; this is, contrary to popular belief, not a film about podracing, and so it is unreasonable to have in excess of fifteen minutes devoted to this one element of the plot. Less is more, as they say, and while the extended lap is fairly interesting to observe, it merely makes an already overlong action scene appear more endless.

13. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    The scene in the DVD was good, in theatres it was better.

I got a good taste of the pod racing and didn't need it extended more. I still remember walking out of the theatre after seeing TPM the first time and being impressed with the pod race and DotF the most.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    We are specifically discussing this Deleted Scene on the DVD... not the theatrical cut or the DVD cut.

15. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Was that your opinion Strillo? or did Moleman give it to you?

16. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    That was mine, Rech. Strilo just merged the two deleted threads before. He better not be taking credit for my work. :p And the chapter, End of Chapter, Synopsis and Opinion should be bolded. :p Bad Strilo. :p

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). TPM-DS Chapter 3: The Waterfall Sequence DISCUSSION will be made available 7:45 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss the deleted TPM scenes chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 7 chapters to discuss over the next month.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

DS - Chapter 3: The Waterfall Sequence
    DISCUSSION: May 1, 2005 - May 5, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 0:00 - 1:49

Synopsis:
    The bongo maneuvers through the Naboo waters, docking in an estuary in Theed. The heroes are on the edge of a waterfall. Obi-Wan can't stop the sub from drifting backwards with the current. Qui-Gon shoots a grappling hook into a nearby brick wall and uses the wire to pull him and his companions to safety. Obi-Wan follows. Jar Jar is hesitant and falls in the water. The grappling hook breaks free from the wall and the sub goes over the waterfall breaking on the rocks. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon pull Jar Jar to safety as they take a back way into the city. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    The Waterfall Sequence is probably one scene I wish would have stayed. It would been perfect for pacing and intensified the peril of the rescue. The way it's set in the film seems too easy.

I love this scene. The effects seem very conceptional even for 2 years later after release, but there's still that adventure thre making it a minor peril. The use of the grappling hook is pretty good. I thought for Jedi like in the Theed Generator Room, they can jump long distances. Even Jar Jar didn't need the cable since he's an aquatic creature. To me it only worked to hold the sub for a while.

I even like Jar Jar's antics. His swimming is awkward but stands out. Personally, I would have Jar Jar fall over the waterfall, but I for obvious reasons can't say why. The breaking of the sub seemed to CG at it broke too simulated. I didn't buy it for a second unfortunately. Luckily effects like the salty falls make up as does the cinematography.

The side view of the palace is well captured as almost makes me recollect the TPM video game. The fountain veranda reminds me of the Seville scenes in AOTC. Strong locations and not used to the full extent in the final cut. Good deleted scene.

19. kupo

kupo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    I liken the waterfall scene to Luke and Leia's swing across the chasm in ANH...this is an adventure cliche that is most shameless in its obviousness, but that's its appeal. When I watched it on the DVD, I felt it was a fun scene, but I for one am glad it was cut. The bongo adventures were played out enough with 3 sea creatures, the waterfall just kind of felt like over-kill to me. Add on the fact that it didn't push the narrative forward in any manner, and you've got a scene best left on the cutting room floor, in my opinion. But this is also the kind of scene that makes you happy you have the deleted scenes on the DVD.

20. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    The waterfall sequence is cool to see on the dvds, but I wouldnt want it in the movie. Like all the deleted scenes, better off on the bonus disc. Except for the probe droid scene which I think could be added in, not jump ahead in the thread.

21. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Neat scene.

I would have traded a sea creature for the waterfall sequence...

22. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Nov 14, 2004
    I am not particularly fond of the Waterfall sequence, and the decision to remove it from the completed film was, I believe, the correct one. The scene itself interferes with the progression of the plot, and serves to exhibit yet another display of Jar-Jar's antics, the majority of which are tiresome as it is, and so therefore no further inclusions of this sort were necessary. The compositing and graphics work in this deleted scene are particularly dull and lack a sharpness and density that is apparent in many of the film's other passages - the shots which feature our famed Gungan underwater are not nearly as impressive as those characterized earlier in the movie. The only part of this deleted scene that I admire is the shot of our three protagonists entering the city of Theed, which was rather effective; apart from that, the sequence would contribute little to the film, and create perhaps an additional pacing issue in a picture that is already full of narrative lulls.

23. britpop

britpop Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2002
    How can you surface at the top of a waterfall!??
    This is one heck of a dumb scene.

24. Shurlok-Mo-Dicos

Shurlok-Mo-Dicos Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    What was already a little strange in its conception, (An underground city that appears to be under a rather small lake) and the whole core business always seemed childish and cartoon like to me,this, as the above poster mentions just seems another one of the conception artists or art department ideas that gl has said ok to without engaging brain first...

25. kupo

kupo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    Ummm...you do realize that this is the same series with banthas and wompas, and mystical "Forces" and space ships going the speed of light making trips to other planets like they're convenience stories, glowing swords, half-robot beings.

In other words...realism=not a requirement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.