main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM's Appeal: Did the Media Make it Appear that ALL SW Fans Were Dissapointed With It?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Apr 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Just a though, but it seems like many people think everyone bashes TPM. When in actuality, there are prpbally more gushers of TPM than bashers.

Is this the media's fault?

It seems many times when there's something concerning TPM in the media, the subject of it's failer with audiences usually pops up. By this, it makes it sound like TPM failed to appeal to everyone. But we all know this is not true.

I think that the media made TPM seem like a complete failer with every SW fan. But it amazes me as to why so. It seems like much of the media bases its thoughts of the basher part of the fan base when it comes to TPM.

Of course it's not all of the media, but I strongly believe the media is what made TPM stand out as a failer when in fact, to many many people, it was not.

ST

2. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Nah, it wasn't the media. It was all the dissapointed movie goers that did. The media just picked up on the truth. :D :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

3. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I think it's just that the Bashers are more vocal (i.e. Basher's Sanctuary has 27 pages, Gusher's Sanctuary has 14)

4. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Ya, but does the media honestly take the time to look at SW fan site boards to see what fans think?

ST

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    ST, the media's job is to report something that stands out. Usually, what stands out is bad news. Ever watched the evening news, it's full of it.

Early on, some in the media DID make it seem as if TPM dissappointed all Star Wars fans.

As a fairly good Basher, I will say that is not the case. I have three cousins ages 14, 10, and 7 who loved TPM, loved it more than the OT. [face_shocked]

Now, if you'll notice in some publications, they point out how TPM disappointed SOME fans. This is closer to the truth I think.

The truth is, bashers are far outnumbered,IMO, by those that really liked or thought TPM was great. Most of the bashers are long-time fans of 15+ years or so.

6. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    I think that if you took a cross-section of the population that considered themselves Star Wars fans back pre-TPM, I think you'd find there were more that were dissatisfied with it than were satisfied.

I further believe that the majority of disappointed fans dropped Star Wars in a very big way after May 19 of 1999, as in they got interested in something else. The reason I think this is from experience and observation. It explains to me, easily, how "bashers" are in the minority on these boards: Well, OF COURSE that's true -- most of the disappointed folks wouldn't bother to come here to vote or post or have anything to do with Star Wars any more. Us "Bashers" that are here are the only ones of that disappointed crop who are willing to stick it out anyway.

7. JediAreJustHippies

JediAreJustHippies Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2001
    Well put, Malthus.

As a response to this quote:
    >>>I think it's just that the Bashers are more vocal (i.e. Basher's Sanctuary has 27 pages, Gusher's Sanctuary has 14)<<<

I think that with regards to any subject, be it Star Wars or the Israeli/Palestinian conflict or anything else, there's just much more to be said when you're dissatisfied & upset.

8. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The media did make it seem like fans hate it. Even here many try to make it seem that way, but I've seen more gushers than bashers...you usually hear the minority bitch more. ;)

9. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    TPM was doomed before even one letter of the script was written...

10. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Well, I don't know if the media is that responsible for the TPM backlash. Like was said before, they report what they see the most. (I personally think the prevailing attitude of the general public for TPM was from average to dissapointed, with only a few who thought it was a "masterpiece" and a glorious success.) -- This is excluding these boards, where gushers are in the majority, but that's because it's a Star Wars-devoted site after all. ;) :D

Using a different example, before Titanic came out, the media bashed it and even predicted it's downfall, not even even giving it a chance. And then, only after phenomenal box-office receipts, glowing critical reviews, and Oscars galore, the media hailed it as the "Gone With the Wind of the 90s".

So, yes, the media tends to exaggerate sometimes, but for the most part, they just report what they see. If a film is good and has earned respect, it will be reported that way. If a film slightly dissapointed the general public, it will be reported that way.
    Well, that's my opinion anyways. :)

11. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    It wasn't even really the media, it was the absurd high standard set by the OT, the 16 year itch, and the imminent comparissons.

12. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    There was definitely a media backlash against TPM. There have been many sequels that I consider far more disappointing (Ghostbusters II, the last two Batman films, The Lost World, Austin Powers 2, etc.) but none of them were greeted with the same vitriol as TPM simply because no other sequel/prequel has ever been as eagerly awaited.
    This isn't just about TPM, either. It's a general pet peeve of mine that critics and other media types often speak for other people and state their opinion as fact(i.e. "we all hated this film"). How many times have you read an article where they say something like, "After the disappointment of TPM, few people are looking forward to Episode II"? I just think it's an example of arrogance on the part of people who should not be journalists.

13. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2001
    When all else fails, blame the media. Very weak, guys.

Yes, TPM was a financial hit. In my opinion this was in large part due to the brilliance of the original trilogy rather than the quality of TPM. I grew up with the original trilogy, as did most of my friends. And almost universally, we loathe TPM. It seems that "newer" Star Wars fans find less fault with TPM, and that is fine.

Did the "evil anti-Star Wars media" make it appear that ALL Star Wars fans hate TPM? No. Their reporting merely reflected the reality that - HERE'S A NEWS BULLETIN - that ALOT of people HATED TPM. This incluldes me and all of my friends. But we still call ourselves Star Wars fans because, when all else fails, we can stick ANH and ESB in the VCR and feel good about the Star Wars franchaise.

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Nope, just check around htese forums.

15. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Whenever I read something from the media about AOTC, they almost always have these two phrases: "sequel to Episode I The Phantom Menace, which left audiences everywhere very dissatisfied" and "the return of Jar Jar Binks, a character that was almost stupid as he was degrating to certain ethical backgrounds..." [face_plain]

16. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    if you don't think there's a media bias, ask yourself this: when did you last read a positive article on the prequels (not counting the Star Wars Insider)? I think Empire is about the only magazine that still has anything good to say about Lucas or Star Wars. Yes, there were a large percentage of the audience who were dissatisfied with TPM, but the media would have you believe that only a few deluded Lucas obsessives actually enjoyed the film.

17. CeeJay

CeeJay Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Well basically as an addition to the OT the film did not meet with expectations and even as a stand alone it wasn't technically a very good film, certainly not good enough to warrant high praise simply because the FX were great. It was a sure thing that the film would be a financial success because no film was ever so eagrely awaited by the puplic. That said the fact that it made twice as much as any film that year is no suprise but not really a true testiment to its popularity only the intrigue that surronded its release.

When you consider that it sold well below many films that were released on VHS or DVD that it simply trounced at the box office, then you have to cast doubt about its popularity. You also must consider that many of those fans who did not like it will still fork out to buy the DVD or Video simply to maintain the collection, not because they love the film. If people like a film that much then they buy it, TPM never sold as much on DVD as films that made less than half its Box Office; films like Shrek, The Grinch, The Mummy Returns, Planet of the Apes and Castawy. Even Internationally the film made less than films that came before it like ID4 and Jurassic Park even though they never benefited from TPM 20year SW fanbase.

This Year LOTR and Harry Potter made more than it Internationaly and they are Fanbased films! A film like that can be hyped beyond belief to amass a huge B.O but it is later on the home formats where its true worth is seen. Harry Potter is about to take that test and you shall see just how many people think its worth having after the hype.

My general experiences with the attitude towards TPM is that most people think it sucks massively. I didn't like it as much as the OT but as time went on I've grown to dislike it quite a lot but admire its accomplishments with SFX. It's not quite an adventure in the mold of the OT but it is an introduction (all be it a weak one) to the PT. The Media are simply picking up on a general consensus toward the film which if you actually like the flick or visit SW BB like these where it is generally mostly praise; will find extremely hard to believe is that widely shared.

Popular - YES, but I would say almost equally as dissapointing!

18. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    JJB isn't stupid, he spake. ;)

19. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2001
    CeeJay, you absolutely nailed it with that last post. Nice job.

20. REBEL_SKUM

REBEL_SKUM Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2000
    can I just make the point that with FOTR and Harry potter, everyone knew exactly what to expect, There may have been a few mysteries some people may not have read the books, but with those two movies the cult followers went into the theatre knowing the exact story and pretty much what would happen point by point. Now with TPM people had a good idea what to expect, Star Wars right, they could expect the movies that they loved in the late 70's early 80's or as you were growing up. Now you can see why someone who goes in knowing exaclty what to expect can have a different experience then someone who has some clue and (maybe) has made up there mind as to what they don't want and what they want in the movie. With FOTR and HP there was really no say for the fan as to what would be included, they pretty much knew already what would be, but with TPM everyone had there say as to what would and should be included. Take what you want from this, I'm not saying this is the entire reason that TPM was hated by some, but it played a big factor.

and I agree 100 precent that TPM was doomed to fail, not at the boxoffice but by reception the minute before a word was put on paper, that is a great point.

21. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    if you don't think there's a media bias, ask yourself this: when did you last read a positive article on the prequels (not counting the Star Wars Insider)?

Oh, I dunno... It could mean that perhaps there was something wrong with it? If lots of people don't like it, you can't slap a label on them and cry bias. At that point, it's common opinion. And you can't really use the false majority in this forum as proof. See my post above: basically, of the Star Wars fans that were around before TPM, most of them became apathetic and largely left the fandom of Star Wars altogether.

22. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    "and I agree 100 precent that TPM was doomed to fail, not at the boxoffice but by reception the minute before a word was put on paper, that is a great point."

I don't think it's a good point. I think that's the kind of rationalization that comes from wanting to absolve Lucas of all guilt for making an inferior film. If you say that people would have hated TPM no matter how good it was it means that Lucas has no reason to even WANT to make a good film. Why would he bother, if it's just going to get trashed anyway? This way of thinking casts everyone, from the media to Lucas' own fans, as part of some vast conspiracy that lives only to see Lucas fail. Doesn't that sound a trifle far-fetched to anyone?

23. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    --So, yes, the media tends to exaggerate sometimes, but for the most part, they just report what they see. If a film is good and has earned respect, it will be reported that way. If a film slightly dissapointed the general public, it will be reported that way.--

You're joking, right?

The media reports what it wants to report. I know a person who worked in television, specifically the news, and she said that it is shocking how little research is done with regards to news reporting. The media has a decidedly jaundiced view, and acts accordingly. It saw only the TPM bashers and therefore reported on them, ignoring the many people who in fact liked TPM. And the negativity feeds upon itself--the bashers say, "Well, the press says that most people hated TPM and only a few people really liked it."

24. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    --Oh, I dunno... It could mean that perhaps there was something wrong with it? If lots of people don't like it, you can't slap a label on them and cry bias. At that point, it's common opinion.--
    PPOR.

--And you can't really use the false majority in this forum as proof.--
    False majority? How is it false? Are you saying the people are lying?

And you can't use the false, or at the very least jaundiced, picture the media paints as proof. Not unless you want to, because you agree with it.

--See my post above: basically, of the Star Wars fans that were around before TPM, most of them became apathetic and largely left the fandom of Star Wars altogether.--
    Your proof?

25. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    --I think that if you took a cross-section of the population that considered themselves Star Wars fans back pre-TPM, I think you'd find there were more that were dissatisfied with it than were satisfied.--
    You think? Where's your evidence?

--I further believe that the majority of disappointed fans dropped Star Wars in a very big way after May 19 of 1999,--
    Except for those who come here and complain constantly.

--as in they got interested in something else.--
    Which they bring up in these forums instead of sticking to the forums devoted to their new interests.

--The reason I think this is from experience and observation.--
    Of whom? Bashers?

--It explains to me, easily, how "bashers" are in the minority on these boards: Well, OF COURSE that's true -- most of the disappointed folks wouldn't bother to come here to vote or post or have anything to do with Star Wars any more.--
    I wish that were true of all of them.

--Us "Bashers" that are here are the only ones of that disappointed crop who are willing to stick it out anyway.--
    Why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.