main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Overwatch

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba_Fett_2001 , Nov 10, 2014.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Again, I've never taken any shame in playing Bastion. I'm glad people are finally warming up to him. :p

Chewgumma likes this.
  2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

My lip was wobbling watching this animation, you must have been crying big, fat salty tears. :p

I don't blame you either...

I showed my mother this short, who has no knowledge of Overwatch at all, and she started crying at the shot of Bastion discovering the overgrown battlefield strewn with the remains of his fallen brethren.

3. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Well, just got a 14 kill streak as Soldier 76. Best one yet :D

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Kynirin likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Had a quintuple kill last night with a Reaper ult.

Still didn't get POTG. :_|

6. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Thanks for the tip! I managed to get my first taste of Overwatch this weekend, playing a few hours. Admittedly I only played against the AI, as I didn't think I'd do well enough with a controller to justify spoiling others' fun with my mucking about. :) It was good fun. I really like how many characters there are and how different they seem from one another.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I played it for a little over an hour last night; it was the first time I've played the game since the initial beta was released about a month before the full game. I used the training mode first for a little while (very useful as you can get comfortable with each character and fine the one that you like the most, with no enemy thread) and then went into a real online game mode. It is alot of fun; though FPS games have never been my cup of tea. I was better as a support character like Mercy than I was as an offense character.

Kynirin likes this.
  8. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    This is pretty awesome.

[​IMG]

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Thought you guys would appreciate this cosplay I came across at New York Comic Con on Saturday.

[​IMG]

Chewgumma and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

This one hit me hard, given that Rein was my first main in Overwatch.

I know they wouldn't be able to afford CGI on a Netflix budget, but after the anime short they did to announce Doomfist's arrival I just wish they'd sign a deal with each other. I desperately want them to tell more stories in this universe, because the community in Overwatch became really toxic and I struggle to stick with it for any good deal of time anymore.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't know, not trying to invalidate anyone's experiences but I don't find the toxicity to be any better or worse than any other popular multiplayer game.

12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

I think it's a bit more notable given Overwatch has a lighter, more optimistic tone than most other shooters. I also remember Blizzard making a big deal about how they wanted to foster a positive community so Overwatch could be a game people of all ages and skill levels could enjoy, which they just haven't lived up to at all.

It's also seen a lot of people from competitive, and notoriously toxic multiplayer games like Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2 and League of Legends flock to it. So while it's a game that's great fun with friends, playing on your own, even in quick play, almost always brings out some of the worst salt I've ever seen pour out from a human being.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    FFA deathmatch makes me saltier than any comp game ever has. All the ****in' Widows and Hanzos.... :p

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Free weekend coming up, starting this Friday! I have yet to buy the full game but play it when these trial periods show up.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Been awhile since this thread's been updated, but I figured I'd leave this video here.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  17. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    The announcement trailer was incredible too, which isn't a big shock since they always knock it out of the park with those. Looking forward to it.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Huh, I was just starting to think "maybe I should buy Overwatch" and now there's already an Overwatch 2...

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Nah, **** Blizzard. I'm good.

Chewgumma likes this.
  20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh...yeah. Something about Blizzard finally becoming evil? Sigh, I guess I should go find out what this is about.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Seems like they're expanding on cooperative PvE which should be a welcome mode for everyone. Overwatch is the only FPS that I play on a consistent basis, so I'm looking forward to the sequel.

22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Pretty much my feelings on the matter too.

And, well, just look through this thread. I should be the most excited for Overwatch 2. It's giving us everything I've wanted from the franchise. A story mode and PvE, and it's not splitting the community as Overwatch 1 players will be able to play PVP with Overwatch 2 players. It's looking like a great sequel to one of my favourite shooters.

But I just can't summon any enthusiasm for Blizzard after its recent antics.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    They took away a Hearthstone player's prize for expressing support for Hong Kong. Kowtowing to China.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They also suspended the announcers too, which never made any sense. Worst part is it was a self-inflected wound by Blizzard- they did everything to pre-emptively avoid China pressure, though none had yet been issued. It's likely it would never have become much of a story on its own if they hadn't reacted the way they did then totally botched their follow-up attempts to address the controversy for pretty much a solid week. The whole thing resulted in walk-out protests by Blizzard staff- and all this only weeks before BlizzCon and days after the NBA was dealing with a similar "I think we've accidentally turned a spotlight on how Chinese government restrictions on free speech now dictates how western capitalists must operate" whoopsie.

(I'm also assuming this is the reason why the Blizzard headhunter rep I met at NYCC days before this all went down hasn't been able to follow-up on my inquiry ;) )

Actually, I gotta read up on how BlizzCon went- I know everyone was expecting protests and a total ****show dampened by "we will announce everything we can to regain any good will" announcements.

OW2 probably won;t be out for a very long time- it's Blizzard, afterall. I actually was tempted to try out OW1 since it came to Switch, but it wasn't a pressing matter and it seems like I'll still wait for OW2 anyways.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Depending on which source you're listening to, some rumors suggest "Overwatch 2" will actually be nothing more than a large DLC update to the original game. They're saying skins and other nick-knacks you've earned will easily carry over. There will be some new heroes added as well as maps, all for free. The PvE mode, which I mentioned before, would apparently be a separate add-on that you have to pay for. I guess we'll eventually see what's true.