main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Tracking Fobs

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Anakin's Daddy, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Have you guys discussed how the bounties are tracked? Because if they can track baby Yoda still, why could they not detect that he wasn’t inside the carriage?

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    So this is a tough question, and yes, it has been discussed regarding how the f.o.b.'s work. The answer I liked best is that they are "programmed" with a sample of the target's blood or dna and they will start beeping the closer they get but only to a few kilometers max.

Additionally, the sample needs to be fresh because it is only a snapshot of the target's biological signature. Over time, the target's natural metabolic behavior will change their "signature". This is why you're not targeted for life, it will wear off eventually.

So the explanation I've come up with, is that Mando and Baby Yoda have been on the run long enough so that the f.o.b. no longer works on him. Maybe they are only good for a few months or a year, idk. It's a whole 'nother debate over how much time has passed during the show, but if there have been any clear indicators I missed them.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Anakin's Daddy

Aug 13, 2002
    I don't think this theory works because If they were able to get a fresh sample, why wouldn't they also be able to a acquire the bounty at that time? They'd have to catch the bounty to get the sample, and then let it go to be caught. Makes no sense. Perhaps the fob is just set for the person's last known location or most likely coordinates, and the coordinates can be modified by a main system.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That fobs have data about the target that allows it to identify them when in close proximity. It's really that simple.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Please give specific details as to what this data is, where and when the data was acquired, and a detailed description and scientific analysis on how the fob is able to track this data once collected.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. Darth Hood

Darth Hood Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    Kyber crystals

It's always kyber crystals

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    They have access to everyone's Facebook account.

8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I also hope we learn about what the battery life is on the fobs. Do users have to recharge the fobs? Does it come with a charger or does the fob company nickle and dime you by forcing you to by the charger separately?

10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    You all have a laugh about this, and it's fine, but frankly I don't really see what's so silly in asking basic questions about major plot points. It collects... "data"... for me it just seems so natural: data like what? I've seen people discussing for pages and pages over WAY more pedantic and nitpicking issues, like Yoda burning a tree or Finn parking on the beach.

Vialco likes this.
  11. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I wasn't really making fun of people wondering how it worked as much as I was giving @Darth Chiznuk a hard time.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Information like age, sex, species, height, weight, latest positional data that would all be part of their chain code. As we've seen every citizen has one of these chain codes. It's like a form of ID.

13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I also want to know if a person loses their fob can they get another fob to find the original fob?

YT-2400, 3sm1r and cubman987 like this.
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    A huge inception of fobs tracking fobs.

That's fair (and with this question I will stop being annoying, I promise. Really last question), you just made the perfect example of the ID.
    Indeed, IDs as far as I know cannot be tracked, you can decide to leave it at home, and nobody will notice it, so our perplexity does sound legitimate, doesn't it?

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This is the way.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    They aren't tracking the IDs. They're using the data collected by the IDs to track the target. Especially the positional data. It's why Cara and Mando were trying to stay away from planets with major spaceports because they could be spotted and their position uploaded to whatever database contains their chain codes. So using this information a bounty hunter can pinpoint the area the target is in and then the fob scans the area and identifies them (probably through facial recognition and all the other data it has.)

Bor Mullet and 3sm1r like this.
  17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Wow, it's officially a thread!
    Whoever created this thread has just become my favorite mod from now on.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Since this is obviously everyone's favorite topic, it's about time it gets its own thread. I've moved the latest discussion over here, but also about half of the content of most episode threads are about fobs as well, so if anyone wants to pore over the pages and pages of discussion, go there lol.

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I hate this place.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I know.

Sarge, 3sm1r and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. Anakin's Daddy

Aug 13, 2002
    3sm1r likes this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Do you think the fob will ever take its helmet off?

Bor Mullet and Glitterstimm like this.
  23. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Why do they use different fobs for different people?
    Just create an app and download all the data of the bounties you need on a single fob!

Anakin's Daddy likes this.
  24. Anakin's Daddy

Aug 13, 2002
    Maybe to keep it more confidential? A single person calibrates the fob and makes sure it only ends up in the hands of who he wants it to.

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    On a side note how do the pucks work?

BigAl6ft6 and Anakin's Daddy like this.