main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Trade War

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Again, existence of a trade deficit is not evidence of "lop-sidedness" in a trade deal. The U.S. could balance U.S.-EU trade tomorrow by increasing its savings rate at the expense of consumption.

2. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    I don't understand that. Could you explain a bit how saving money lowers a trade deficit?

3. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    If we save instead of consuming, we will buy fewer foreign goods, bringing exports and imports more into line.

ShaneP, blackmyron and Darth Punk like this.
  4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    And I haven't pinned that on Trump or Clinton. Trump, however, capitalizing on what was made by prior administrations? I'll definitely pin that on him - he's trying to get the USA ahead that way. Let's just do away with any pretence of fairness - it does not exist in global trade.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    On a larger scale, buying from the world on credit is not sustainable forever. U.S. debt is one of the great systemic risks in the global economy. Trump is playing with matches on a dry forest floor in the middle of a hundred year drought. You might say the conflagration was inevitable, but it has to start somewhere. Someone lit the match.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Artoo-Dion and ShaneP like this.
  6. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Or if we just decided to buy American when ever and where ever possible. :)

I think it can absolutely exist.

Why couldn't it?

7. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Human nature.

8. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    None of this answers why we'd voluntarily enter into an agreement that we know isn't good for us?

9. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    On the contrary, you entered the pre-existing agreements because they were good for you.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Competitive advantage. Some places are better at making stuff for less while other are better at making stuff that cost more due to their particular circumstances. It is very difficult to ignore all of those specialties.

edit:
    @J-Rod, also @Rylo Ken s point about debt is important. China holds enough of ours to send our economy in a tailspin. The only thing keeping them from calling us on our debt is it would implode their own economy too. But, China has a history of playing the long game. We don't. That's also why his mentioning consumption is important too. We don't have anything to fall back on, i.e savings, to protect us.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was far more protectionist at one time because I didn’t like the idea of companies moving jobs overseas to avoid union contracts. But we are at the point now where I think companies in European and Asian countries might move their offices here to avoid union contracts.

What the US needs to do to “win” the trade war is make superior products that sell well overseas, as well as making products that are superior to their counterparts from other countries. And do as such without exploiting workers’ rights.

One example of a good business model is Trader Joe’s—they sell good products at low prices and they treat their employees well, which shows in how well the employees treat the customers. They cut costs by discontinuing products from manufacturers after they raise their prices (I have been disappointed a few times by a loved product being discontinued), having stores in small locations in urban areas, and by having really ****ty parking lots.

I realize this is really a nonexample to use when it comes to a trade war and tariffs; I’m only using it to make a point that it is possible to stay competitive without constantly whining about “labor costs” or by charging ridiculous prices.

Overall point is that I think we are capable of making good products in the US and should not have to rely on the level of tariffs being charged now (I have no problem with some tariffs) or relying on people buying American just to be patriotic.

ShaneP and blackmyron like this.
  12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Trader Joes' cookie butter spread.....=P~

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I get the part about savings. That's why I'm against stuff like vets get "disability" while working full time making $70,000+ a year. And I'm against people being able to collect Social Security "retirement" while, again, working full time making 70,000+ a year.

Now, I'm not talking about the vet who suffered a debilitating injury and can't do his chosen trade.

And I'm not talking about the retiree that doesn't make enough off of his retirement to pay his bills.

I'm talking about healthy people making close to (and in some cases more than) six figures drawing government money.

But these are two forms of waste I see here where I work. Literally dozens of people collecting from one or, in many cases, both of these programs when there is no need.

@anakinfansince1983 The problem is we aren't allowed to compete. In too many cases our products are priced out of the reach of the demographic because of unjust tariffs.

Except for, they are not. India, for one lone example, has 100% tariff on Harley-Davidsons. How is that in our best interest??

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Harley's problem is they aren't selling enough bikes HERE. India isn't the problem. The problem is their domestic market is in decline. Their sales are off in the U.S. And Trump just made their ability to sell in Europe harder, not easier. They will now go overseas to avoid those tariffs in an escalating trade dispute.

15. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    A single specific tariff is entirely anecdotal within the discussion of a multi-decade global trading policy.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    When Rylo Ken was talking about savings, he meant the behavior of individual households, taken in aggregate. Their would be less imports if people bought less things overall. Of course, at some point, lowering demand will also have a "negative" impact on the economy. Triggering a recession is another way to correct the trade deficit. This is just one reason it's a completely stupid metric for Trump to focus on.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    No no no. I'm not blaming tariffs for Harley's overall position right now.

I'm just saying that the tariffs are making impossible to compete in foreign markets.

And I'm not even saying that a better position in foreign markets would fix the company as a whole. I'm just making a point that Harley can't compete and it isn't their fault. The playing field isn't level.
    It's just an example.

The problem is that there are many other examples as well.

18. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Of course there are many other examples. Just as you could raise thousands of examples of tariffs the USA levy. They are all but a part of a much larger picture of the USA's trade policies having been founded on the deliberate acceptance of massive trade deficits because, overall, it worked to the USA's benefit.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    You could have tariffs set at the same % and it still wouldn't be level because the labor markets are different, cost of materials, etc. There are still innumerable variables to take into account that even the same rate wouldn't accomplish "fairness".

20. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about using tariffs to price foreign goods out of the reach of the target audience.

Like I said, I understand using them to keep cheaper foreign products from undercutting local industries.

Can you name a foreign produced product sold in America that is priced out of the reach of the target buyer because of tariffs?

I know that many times they are used to keep American businesses from being undercut. But they aren't used to make foreign products more expensive than their American counterparts.

Overseas, that's one of the main aims: to make it more expensive to buy American goods that it is to buy their local goods.

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Doing that for emergent industries makes sense in order to encourage domestic development. But it doesnt make much sense for maturing ones like motorcycles. Harley has already proven they can't even sell their product to their own country. Let them go.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If I recall an economics class correctly, aside from the brainwashing, they also taught that infant industry protection was used for HD successfully when it wasn't an infant, just a huge cluster.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    A fetus bike?

Seriously, I think what you are referencing was when Reagan imposed a targeted protective tariff to allow HD to rebuild in the early 80s when it was reorganizing and some of the employees bought the company back from an outside firm.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Your ideological distinction makes no sense.

A country with 3-5 growing seasons per year produces crops more cheaply than the US. The implied pricing should drive less productive US farms out of business. Except we provide millions in annual subsidies to American farmers to prevent that outcome.

In both instances, you are manipulating the market so that someone you like can stay in business. Why or how is one method inherently better than the other?

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We provide subsidies for corn and soy so we can make cheap sweeteners, fillers, and preservatives that give Twinkies a shelf life of 60 ****ing years so Americans can get fatter. Don’t even get me started. Real food rots, people. If it has a shelf life of multiple presidential administrations and the first ingredient is corn syrup, it’s not food, it’s an ant trap.

As far as tariffs in other countries, my understanding is that Germany is highly protectionist, I’m not familiar with policies elsewhere (and my information on Germany might be wrong). Either way I’m not a fan of “they did it first so I should do it back” as a policy on, well, anything, other than a “list of rules upon which to reprimand eight-year-olds”.