main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Trakata is now canon, believe it

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The_Pumaman, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Hah! :D

Paradise Press produced the Poster Magazine for ESB at least; although the original 1977-9 Official Star Wars Poster Monthly was apparently produced by Galaxy Publications.

I thought as much, when I looked at the way that the article was presented. :D

The ESB Poster Magazine is the most plausible source for Velasco's idea of the SSD length; interesting to find him using related material... though I'd love to know just what the ESB and RotJ posters said about other details, and what else they might have influenced...

The question is now whether we can prove that this info on stormtroopers is genuinely part of the official source, in which case it is what I'd consider canon, or if it's actually a clever non-canon mock-up. The information on the bodyglove and armour pieces seems to me to be obvious enough already from the movies, though...

But the pre-RotJ mention of detachments of "Imperial Guards" serving Vader and Tarkin does provide a nice explanation for [TFU Spoiler!] the black-armoured guards we see with Vader in TFU...

- The Imperial Ewok

2. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    going back to Trakata...

if it's a lightsaber form/technique involving strategic activation & deactivation of a lightsaber, would Vader's trick against the Dark Woman be labelled as such?

3. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Seems so to me.

Though why it has to be labelled a form remains beyond me. It's not a style of fighting; it's a technique utilized under particular occasions when fighting. *shrugs* For whatever reason, that doesn't scream, "I need to be labelled a particular style of combat!" to me, but then, I could be biased. Reason has a tendency to do that. :p

Thrawn - TFU?

- Keralys

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The Force Unleashed. Thrawn's referring to Shadow guards.

5. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Ah. I've been paying attention to that, but the acronym wasn't familiar to me.

Sheesh. You vanish for a few months and everyone's tossing around new acronyms, new inside jokes, new everything. No respect.

:p

- Keralys

6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    "I warned you---now the REGULARS demand PUNISHMENT!"

You'll relearn. :p

7. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Oh, and quickly I'm sure. I forgot how much I've missed the insanity of this place.

That reference is tickling my brain... comic reference? It seems to have become almost as popular as "BLANK... with a GUN?" :p

- Keralys

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yup, comic reference:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/7f/Kotor16fullcover.jpg

9. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Bah. I need to catch up on KotOR and Legacy. I've gotten to the end of Reunion in the former and up through Broken in the latter, but I haven't had time or money since then. *sigh*

That's a fantastic cover. Better than Jedi With A Gun, IMHO.

- Keralys

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It's pretty funky. I wasn't sure about it at first.

There was a bit of a debate in the thread about whether or not we liked speech bubbles on the cover and the gag developed out of that.

At least that's what I remember happening....

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yet . . . if combined . . .
    [image=http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/HavTFN/KOTORwithagun.jpg]

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    :eek:
    *dies*

13. danielc56

danielc56 Jedi Master star 1

May 2, 2004
    Anyone? I'd also like to know the origins of the fanon, and how far back it went. I looked on this thread and Wookieepedia, but couldn't find an actual reference to the original work(s).

danielc56

14. kttch809

kttch809 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    I finally found a copy of The World of Star Wars: A Compendium of Fact and Fantasy from Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back in the magazine section of my local sci-fi bookstore. It appears to be a compilation of Official Poster Monthly material (I'm not sure if it's a compilation of all of it, though given that it's labeled Issue 2 on the cover...)

The article "Forces of the Empire" appears to be Velasco's source with regard to the size of the Executor.

"Soldiers of the Empire" is also in the copy that I found. I can confidently say that the scan of the article that browiw posted is legitimate.

One other possible reference to "Soldiers of the Empire" is in the article regarding Stormtroopers in the Star Wars Technical Journal and might give a hint as to how "Soldiers of the Empire" may fit into the larger canon:
    Others have conjectured that the Empire has utterly disregarded the moral precepts held during the Republic and is growing these troopers through an accelerated cloning process.
    Since the Star Wars Technical Journal did not have a bibliography, it's hard to tell exactly what this may be a reference to. It might be in the same league as the tidbit about the rumors that the Millennium Falcon once belonged to a Jedi.

I can see "Soldiers of the Empire" considered to be an in-universe work (possibly by a Galactic Weekly NewsStack writer), though I'm not averse to the idea of it being considered legitimate information, either.

Miscellaneous: The article "Return of Evil!", which summarizes a portion of Luke and Vaders duel in Splinter of the Mind's Eye appears to be the first instance in which it was suggested that Obi-Wan's spirit aided Luke during that duel.

15. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Wait....I could've sworn that Trakata appeared in another canon source prior to the new version of the RPG. Maybe not named as such, but I recall the description of the technique ringing a bell when I read it. I don't pore over Wookiepedia enough to have stumbled across it accidentally....

Maybe I'm just misremembering something from "Dark Tide" or whatnot.

Anyway, as to "technique" vs. "style" I'd imagine if one made near constant use of it, it could qualify as a style. It certainly would be unusual to practice the tactical applications of activating and deactivating the saber for maximum advantage in combat, as it's certainly not common practice from what we see.

16. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Miscellaneous: The article "Return of Evil!", which summarizes a portion of Luke and Vaders duel in Splinter of the Mind's Eye appears to be the first instance in which it was suggested that Obi-Wan's spirit aided Luke during that duel.<

Actually, that was in the original novel. The idea that it originated in a later source to explain Luke's victory is a misconception. From the novel:

"I'm...I'm Ben Kenobi," Luke whispered in an odd way."

And later:

"Ben Kenobi is with, Vader," Luke snarled, gaining confidence every second, "and the Force is with me, too."

Was it emphasized more later to explain Luke's victory? Maybe. But it was there in the first place.

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.