main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Transgender, nonbinary, genderqueer

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Dobrolous, Jan 12, 2016.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't watch Dr. Who dp4m, but isn't Captain Jack considered a bisexual character?

3. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Gender is different from sexuality. One is a way that someone self-identifies, and the other describes who a person is attracted to. This thread is about gender. :)

solojones and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Omnisexual. He'd sleep with anything, including ungendered aliens. Since we don't have aliens, he'd be considered pansexual for our purposes, I believe.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Only the JCC can answer my question by referencing a silly TV show.

seventhbeacon, Rew, Ender Sai and 2 others like this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Was wondering when Jack Harkness would show up!

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So if I had a nonbinary Spanish friend, would that friend be mi amigO or mi amigA?

8. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Use what they prefer, obviously.

In modern internet usage "latin@" (because it looks like a combination of o and a) and "latinx" have become popular gender-neutral reference words that can be transferred into other Spanish words (amigx), although the former might be more of a feminism thing than a trans thing.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Single stall bathrooms being unisex makes sense for myriad reasons. I mean, has anyone seen someone be upset if a smaller establishment has only one bathroom, ever, on the basis of it being unisex? "Oh no, I will have to pee somewhere else. A WOMAN'S BEEN IN HERE!!" Totally agree on that.

As to larger establishments where there's a need for multi-stall places... I think a good movement would be for more of those places to have a single-stall option as well, which is unisex and designed to be used by anyone with a special bathroom requirement: gay families with children of a different gender, opposite sex parents wanting to care for a kid together, people with disabilities who need an aide but don't want to use a handicapped stall, transgendered and nonbinary folks who don't feel comfortable using the male or female restroom, and anyone else who for whatever reason doesn't feel comfortable in a gendered or multi-stall environment.

Yes, some such places (like airports) often have a "family restroom", but perhaps there's a better name for it. And certainly it seems beneficial to add more of these or to start building them in new establishments. While any one of these groups might not be a large percentage of the population, together this could account for a pretty sizeable section of the population. So even though I don't think it matters how small the number is, from a practical standpoint I know this could be sold to businesses and venues as "you'll be much more welcoming to a larger customer base".

10. LambdaChop

LambdaChop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    It's basically a trendy/political way of saying bisexual.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  11. Darth Dobrolous

Darth Dobrolous Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexuality

12. Darth Dobrolous

Darth Dobrolous Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2016
  13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    In the EU I think Hutts could change sex, but y'know, that was erased by Disney.

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Doesn't seem like it would be an issue in a universe like that where medical science is advanced enough that anyone who was trans could probably just get a new body or whatever.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I've heard it meant people who are also interested in nonbinary people, intersex people, etc., since bisexual implies just the two traditional genders.

16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I Are The Internets sounds like he was describing pansexuality. I could be wrong. Every bisexual person is different. A bisexual individual may be attracted more to women or more to men (20-80, 70-30, 50-50, 90-10), whereas a pansexual individual has no such preference. They fall in live for the person regardless of whatever gender or orientation they may have, and they wouldn't care about falling for a transsexual person.

More recently, I've been fascinated with the concepts of demisexuality and asexuality. I think that people of any orientation may feel demisexual or asexual. Part of that, I believe, is influenced by experience. A demisexual individual can only be attracted to someone with whom they share a strong emotional connection. It's similar to asexuality.

17. LambdaChop

Jan 12, 2016
    Bisexual implies the two traditional sexes which are the only sexes there are since humans are, like most vertebrates, sexually dimorphic. Pansexual people do use the term to indicate that they're into "nonbinary" people but "nonbinary" people are either male or female bodied regardless of how they identify so for those who aren't into queer subcultures the easiest way to explain it is "fancy term for bisexual".

SateleNovelist11

18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    It is fascinating that we as human beings spend an inordinate amount of time and energy on labelling things. It's like some primordial urge that we cannot begin to process things unless we have labelled it and defined it.

19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Labels give us a sense of identity, or a means of identification, so of course we're going to take to it pretty quickly.

20. LambdaChop

Jan 12, 2016
    Yeah, like, on the one hand the identity-politics obsession with having a label for absolutely every permutation of personality or behavior is pretty painful (and imo kind of harmful in some respects), but on the other... naming and labeling the phenomena we encounter around us so that we can then discuss it is like a fundamental aspect of being sapient beings, so... good... observation?

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Which latrine do they use?

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I hate that trendy (back in the 90s) use of the @ when there's already the grammatically correct o/a. I'm glad it's practically gone.

23. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

I don't know about that. If the Clone Wars movie is canon, then we know that Jabba had a son. So even if it doesn't explicitly say Hutts can change sex, it's strongly implied...unless Jabba was a female all this time.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It is canon, yes. Clone Wars survived the purge.

PCCViking likes this.
  25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    On the subject of bathrooms... I use whatever single-stall bathroom is available. Women's is occupied? No problem, into the men's I go! A local grocery store has bathrooms that are locked, and you need to ask customer service to key in the code. I'm usually let into the men's room and it's a multi-stall room. And yes, I've used it when other guys were in it.

Was there a problem with it? Nope. Was I nervous? Nope. Just went in and did my business and left. I'm far more uneasy in the women's room because if I'm with friends or family members, they like to talk to me while I'm trying to take a dump, and that's just not something I wanna do.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind more unlabeled bathrooms around, particularly single-occupancy ones. Less of a chance someone will try to talk to me while I'm taking a piss.