main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Transgender, nonbinary, genderqueer

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Dobrolous, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Been meaning to stop by here to report some good news...my nephew (age 20) was able to get his top surgery a few weeks ago! Recovery seems to be going well so far. I am so hopeful that this will have a significant positive impact on his dysphoria, though I know he will still have significant challenges ahead.

Just wanted to share.

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    That's great!! How's he doing emotionally? A lot of people go through a period of depression while they're still debilitated. Somehow, no one ever seems prepared for how hard that surgery knocks them on their ass.

Pensivia likes this.
  3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I've had an appendectomy and that sucked ****. It's gotta be rough.

poor yorick and Pensivia like this.
  4. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Ok, I think. I've called/video chatted with him several times since the surgery and he said he already feels better just getting dressed every day/looking in the mirror, etc. He has ongoing mental health challenges, though, (ADHD and OCD), and he was also being treated for depression in the last several years, so I'm anxious to see how much the surgery will help with the depression in the longer-term (because pre-surgery, he himself had said that he felt most of his depression was stemming from his chest dysphoria and the desperation of not knowing when/if he would be able to get the surgery).

I know it can't be a "magic bullet" for him, but I'm just really hoping that it will make a significant difference and help him to move forward with his life (things have been very difficult for him in the past couple of years).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  5. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    How much relief from depression he'll get probably depends on the sort of depression he has. I had terrible chest dysphoria, and not having that anymore is a huge relief. I don't hate my body anymore. I'd say my overall level of misery has been cut by about 20%, which is great, and makes the surgery totally worth it. I have lifelong major depression, though, and unfortunately surgery didn't touch that. Not surprising, really--I was depressed before I ever got boobs, so it makes sense that I'd be depressed after. Your nephew may see better results, though. Depression has all kinds of causes.

6. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes, absolutely. And of course I have no idea of the extent to which his recent difficulties have had causes other than his dysphoria. As I said, he himself was saying pre-surgery that he felt that a lot (most?) of his depression was due to it, so that's why I'm hoping he'll be in a much better place going forward.

I'm just relieved that he was able to get top surgery this (relatively) "soon" (although of course I realize that waiting even just the 2+ years since he came out was agonizing for him, and that his dysphoria was a serious problem for him long before even he himself was able to fully understand/articulate his trans identity). His father has been completely unsupportive and, while his mother is certainly far more supportive by comparison and was the one who arranged and paid for his surgery, she's still having difficulty processing his transition (still hasn't switched over to "he/him," for example), so I was worried that he might have to wait a lot longer than he did.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    darthcaedus1138 and B3 like this.
  7. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    (apologies for the double post but in rereading my post above, I realize I left something out)
    just wanted to add, @poor yorick, that I am very sorry about your depression. You've been very open about it here on the forum, and I sincerely admire that and am sure that it helps others to be open about their mental health as well, which is so important in terms of letting others with similar challenges know that they are not alone. I am also really glad that your top surgery relieved you of at least some of the burden you'd been carrying. I continue to value your posts around the JCC as you always add something interesting to the conversations here.

Anyway, I just wanted to add the above because in rereading my earlier post, it struck me as perhaps coming off as insensitive to what you were expressing.

darthcaedus1138 and poor yorick like this.
  8. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Nah, not at all. :). I wasn’t looking for sympathy—just saying your nephew’s mileage may vary, but don’t assume that because my depression didn’t change much that his won’t. Mine is unusually intractable, is all.

darthcaedus1138 and Pensivia like this.
  9. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Transitioning has helped immensely in combating my depression, but it’s fun to discover deeper problems when you were only expecting it to be that while getting help.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  11. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Interesting. There aren’t currently a lot of good options for trans men who want lower surgery.

Of course, if sex organ transplants for trans people become a thing, a lot of cis folks are going to lose their goddamn minds. People refusing to donate their organs for fear of their naughty bits ending up on someone they disapprove of, etc.

Of course, trans people have long been wishing they could donate their unwanted sex organs to someone who actually wants them, so maybe that could work.

Pensivia and Princess_Tina like this.
  12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    A lot of my transmasculine friends are cautiously optimistic about the prospect :)

Pensivia and poor yorick like this.
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I have a pap smear tomorrow. Absolutely hate it, makes me think about the babies I absolutely do not ever want in my body... Blech.

14. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Today actress Ellen Page announced she is now a trans man and changed his name to Elliot Page.

Clearly the most famous personality/celebrity to assume himself as trans.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Rew and Runjedirun like this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Good for Elliot, but all your wording in that post was terrible so I won't like it.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, that wording was all sorts of ****ed up.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Good for him, though I wonder what will happen with season 3 of The Umbrella Academy.

18. a star war

May 4, 2016
    People play roles. I don’t see why anything should change unless he is no longer comfortable with it.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Don’t see why it can’t continue as before.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    If it were me I'd want them to make my character trans as well, at least non-binary since Elliot's ok with 'he' or 'they'. But obviously that's up to each actor.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yes actors play roles, but not usually of the opposite sex.

The character is not his though. It's an established female character... as far as I know. And I'm not saying the writer's can't change that.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    If I were in that writers' room, I would be adamant that the choice should be Elliot's. Yes it's an established character. But things change in adaptations. If Elliot is fine playing a woman, then keep it as is. But if he's not, a change should be made. It should be his choice. Creatively, they should be able to work with whatever they're given.

23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Whatever they decide. I’m just happy there’s another season

24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    There was a film Page was in a few years back called Into The Forest that I really enjoyed. It was a very intimate, feminist post-apocalyptic story and I'll have to revisit it knowing that he's trans. It's a very interesting phenomenon, actors playing roles that are not their own gender. It sometimes feels like a gimmick, like when Allison Williams did Peter Pan, but Page has always been a serious, impressive actor imo, and revisiting his many roles will be interesting.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Page's imdb bio has already been carefully re-edited for the appropriate pronouns. I'm not sure I'm ever going to get used to "they" as a singular pronoun. It's never going to read as anything but plural to me.

"With their breakout role in Jason Reitman's hit comedy Juno (2007), about an offbeat teenager who finds themselves unexpectedly pregnant, Page received Academy Award, BAFTA, Golden Globe and SAG Best Actress nominations, and won the Independent Spirit Award for their performance. They followed up that turn with the lead in Drew Barrymore's directorial debut, the roller-derby comedy-drama Whip It (2009), Christopher Nolan's psychological thriller Inception (2010), the independent film Peacock (2010), and the dark comedy Super (2010), opposite Rainn Wilson and Liv Tyler."

To me "they" seems alienating. Like a royal "we" except for people with mental health problems. I don't see how it helps embrace or accept anyone for who they are. It should be possible to completely accept the nonbinary/fluid nature of someone's gender identity without grammatically referring to "them" as two or more people.

Gamiel and 3sm1r like this.