main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Trenchcoats Are Back, Baby: The Matrix Resurrections

Discussion in 'Community' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Mar 1, 2014.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Calling it now - the title will be Matrix Rebooted.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The M4trix.

B99 and Master_Rebado like this.
  3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Matrix4Chan

B99 likes this.
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    ooh , good.

no Morpheus tho?

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    it makes logical sense. riding the keanu wave. chuck in some late 90s nostalgia and you got yourself some serious £££.

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So I think the assumption was that Neo died so how is he in the new film? Are we returning to the theory, the one that existed before the second and third movie came out, that the Matrix is a Matrix within a Matrix? Is that the only way to make it work, or do the Architect and Oracle just re-create Neo like they always have to deal with any imbalance of the equation that might result of the new rebooted system?

I never understood how the system would work after the war. The Architect tells the Oracle that anyone who wants to be freed would be. Is there an announcement made? What happens if everyone wants to be freed? Do the machines and humans rebuild society and then repeat the same mistakes that ends with the humans being enslaved and used as batteries again?

Also, who is told they're part of this system and says, "No, thanks, I'm good staying in." I think it would be a Cypher situation with a lot of people like, "Yeah, I thought I wanted to be free, but this is lame. Put me back in."

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  7. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Neo's body may be fine and he's in like a coma or something .

As for free humans - I think the architect would stick to his word but there wouldn't be an announcement ( how many would believe that anyway?) , it is an allegory of our own world after all , and most are content to stay 'slaves to the system' as long as they have their tv and their mobile phones .
    This time there could be more modern elements to play with which didn't exist in '99 - people are now addicted to their smart phones and twitter and facebook etc.

8. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I can't believe I'm saying this, because I'm so very tired of the "let's do legacy sequels for every single beloved film franchise EVER" mentality in Hollywood right now, but: I think a new Matrix film has potential.

Granted, I was one of those weirdos who actually enjoyed the sequels (though I'll admit I probably enjoyed discussing them more than actually watching them). It's much the same way I feel about the Star Wars PT: they're poorly-executed films full of creative ideas that enrich the mythology. Obviously, I hope this new film will succeed at being a good movie in addition to bringing new ideas to the table, but even if it ends up as convoluted and wacky as Reloaded/Revolutions, I'm still interested to see what the Ws come up with. Considering all the interesting ways they explored the nature of consciousness in the original films, Neo and Trinity don't even have to be alive in a human sense to still exist within the Matrix. (They could be digital ghosts—reshaped forms of their original consciousnesses.) When Sati asked the Oracle if they'll ever see Neo again in the closing scene of Revolutions, the Oracle did say "I believe we will." So there's precedent for his return.

Also. According to the Variety article, David Mitchell apparently helped write this script? As in: the author of Cloud Atlas, The Bone Clocks, and Slade House? Dude's a mad genius, so that's another factor in this film's favor.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I felt some of the mythology they tried to create in the sequels actively went against the simple beauty of the idea of the original film: that the world outside our window could be the Matrix. Once you say that the freeway is this monsterous death-sentence of a place that prevents you from leaving the city, that doesn't work. Similarly, saying that the stories you've heard of ghosts and vampires and the like are based on old programmes that are still roaming the Matrix, again that doesn't work for me (I assume I'm remembering correctly - I don't re-watch the sequels so I going off the impressions I got many years ago).

The Matrix sequels had similar problems to the Highlander sequels in terms of being follow-ups to movies that worked best as stand-alones, and meant walking back a certain amount of what was said in the original to give the sequels room to operate. Not that Reloaded or Revolutions were the stinkers that the Highlander sequels were, you understand.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't think they meant that . What Morpheus meant was that it was a bad place if you're running from agents 'cos there's nowhere to hide and no exit points.

11. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Oh, I totally misunderstood that. I mistakenly thought it was like one of those limiting factors in supposedly open games like Far Cry, where something kills you if you try to stray too far off the map. Evidently I should watch Reloaded again with more of an open mind.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Did they hire JJ already to do the reboot?

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i have no memory of anything that happened in Revolutions except for the big weird rave everyone was in for some reason

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That was Reloaded.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  17. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    I blame @soitscometothis for ordering the sequels incorrectly

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I ordered them correctly, you monster. It was just that I didn't understand them.

19. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    ...don't ... don't even joke about that.

20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    "I never thought there could be so much green on a motherboard"

[​IMG]

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I honestly don't see the need for new matrix movies. Like, what's the point? I know money, but from a story perspective? Like freeing EVERYONE once and for all?

Of course of it has more of this it would be swell

24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Hope they don't pull a SW and copy the original.

25. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Honestly, that's what I see them doing.

The Matrix universe itself lends itself heavily to that possibility given the Architect's speech above.

Frankly, it's too difficult an opportunity for the writers to pass up while the studio would definitely want the film to be as accessible as possible given the diminishing returns of the franchise (the third being the lowest grossing film).

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the success of the TFA made a fourth Matrix film possible in terms of what can be done in making a story that simultaneously serves as a sequel and reboot.