main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Trials and Tribulations

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira Grau, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Title: Trials and Tribulations
    Author: Anedon
    Timeframe: Early 44 ABY
    Characters: Ulrika Grau, Ilona Malek and other OCs
    Genre: Friendship, Adventure
    Summary: While Ulrika is put on an imperial trial for her actions against Liutenant Duran, Elena, now promoted to the rank of Colonel embarks on a dangerous mission.

This story is the next part in my growing Ilona/Ulrika verse.
    Which includes the Main stories:
    -Shadow over Curean
    -Path of Lies
    -The Value of Freedom
    -Into the Fire
    -Following the Thread

As well the additions:
    -Anarchists and Aristocrats
    -Summer Camp Shenanigans
    -Old Friends
    -Can Love be a Sin
    -To Dathomir, with a Friend
    -Tales from the Southwest

Which also feature some of these characters.

Thanks to @Adalia-Durron and my friend Kenny for their help and support, as well my faithfull reader @earlybird-obi-wan :)

Also tagging @Sinrebirth as requested

One

"My brother had a crush on her you know?" Ilona asked Ulrika as the two of them waited for their guest to arrive.

"He had?" Ulrika chuckled, "well can't blame him for that. Can't say that I never thought of her myself when..."

"Ulrika!" Ilona almost shouted, "do I need to remind you that she is our here as a diplomat and not for your personal enjoyment?"

"One doesn't out rule the other," Ulrika responded, sticking out her tongue at her rival.

"Just continue like that I will ensure that you spend the rest of your life smashing rocks in some Imperial prison," The ambassador threatened her.

"If they have more comfortable clothes there I might come back to the offer." Her friend shoot back, stretching herself in her new dress uniform. She hated every second of wearing it, but what was ahead of them necessitated an aura of professionalism that her usual tank tops just couldn't convey.

"Should have taken the offer to leave the military then," Ilona taunted her.

"Easy for you to say," Ulrika grumbled. If nothing else Ilona's dark blue and red diplomat robe looked considerably more comfortable.

She saw how Ilona opened her mouth to reply but before she could the hangar was filled with the roaring of engines as a ship passed through the outer shields and approached them. It certainly wasn't what Ulrika had expected. Not a dignified diplomat ship but an X-Wing fighter.

"Is that really her?" Ulrika muttered, one of her hands slowly resting on her new slim officer blaster.

"I'm not sure," Ilona said, chewing on her lip.

The X-Wing landed in front of them, then its cockpit opened and a young woman climbed out of it. Disregarding her flight jacket and helmet before jumping down to the floor of the hangar, her long brown hair leaving no doubt about her identity.

Wearing a tight white tank top and pilot pants Jaina Solo, the Sword of the Jedi approached the two Eriaduan women.

"Miss Solo, welcome on the Vigilance." Ulrika said offering her hand to the Jedi.

Jaina took it and smiled, "just call me Jaina."

Ulrika took Jaina's hand and gave it a polite kiss, "only if you call me Ulrika."

The Jedi raised an eyebrow, "and I was told you were the most unmannered brute imaginable."

Ulrika heard a coughing behind her. Turning around she saw how Ilona's face was burning red. So much for, Miss Solo is a galactic hero, meeting her in your casual clothes would be improper. Shooting a flaming look at her friend Ulrika said, "this is Ilona Malek, ambassador of Eriadu, even if that mostly seems to include spreading horror stories about me all over the galaxy."

Ilona lowered her head, but then she looked back up again, "that... is sadly true. Though in my defense I wasn't too kind on myself either when I told Adalia about her."

Jaina allowed herself a chuckle. "Relax, it´s all good. I'm glad you two aren't what I feared you might be."

"Well then," Ilona took a step closer to their guest. "We will have dinner in half an hour, so you would still have to time to refresh yourself in your quarters."

"Sounds great," Jaina replied before turning back to her ship. "Let me just retrieve my astro mech."

Ilona nodded, than left them, not without giving Ulrika a stern look.

Ulrika rolled her eyes but as she turned around to Jaina's X-Wing she froze, that could be a problem. But she had an idea so she quickly stepped over to Jaina's ship. "We Eriaduan's don't use Astro Mechs. Which means we don't have the proper device to get it out of there."

"Get her out of there," Jaina corrected, stepping next to her. "Her name is Cappie."

"Oh, my apologies, didn't know we have two ladies as our guests," Ulrika responded. Then to make up for her blunder she pulled over a ladder. "If you pull her out, will take her."

Jaina nodded, before she climbed up to her ship.

Of course things turned disaster, ending with Ulrika falling onto her butt trying to hold the heavy droid in her arms. Cappie fell to the side of her, but quickly stabilize herself with her rocket boosters.

"I didn't even know Astros have those," Ulrika muttered, a bit embarrassed as she got up again and examined the oil stains on her new uniform and fingers.

Jaina jumped down next to her, laughing. "Well, it was fun seeing you try your best at least. Sorry about the uniform." She gave Ulrika twinkle.

Did she knew I dislike wearing it? She is a Jedi after all. For a moment Ulrika froze again, if Jaina could sense her thoughts, how much else did she know? To switch the topic she said, "I will show you, your quarters. We also have an oil bath for Cappie if she needs one."

The little droid bleeped her approval so the two women first took care of her.

"She likes you," Jaina said as the two moved through the corridors towards the crew quarters.

"No surprise when someone gets dirty to help her out," Ulrika replied with a smile.

"I can't complain either," the Jedi said as she looked through the room they had prepared for her. "Better than the places I am used to staying in."

"We also have fresh clothing for you," Ulrika explained as she opened one of the cupboards. "Right size and all."

Jaina gave her a smile, "someone did her homework it seems. I should feel honored."

Ulrika inclined her head to her guest, "for a lady like you, only the best." Then in a bit subdued voice she added, "if you want we could share a drink on the observation deck later tonight. Just the two of us."

The Jedi woman laughed, "you are cute, remind me to return the favor should you ever visit me on Coruscant."

"I certainly will," Ulrika said with a twinkle before excusing herself.

As she stood under her own shower a minute later Ulrika felt a million of butterflies in her stomach, as she remembered Jaina's word. I am flirting with Jaina Solo. She had always looked up to Jaina and seen her as one of the few admirable Jedi. She was so excited that it almost made her forget...

Having switched to her far more comfortable casual clothes Ulrika entered the lounge of the Vigilance where Ilona was already waiting. She smiled as she saw the head of the Malek family had also exchanged her diplomat robes for a more comfortable outfit. But instead of returning the smile Ilona looked at her sternly.

"What are you doing?" she asked, barely hiding the disapproval in her voice. "Do you have any self restraint?"

Ulrika took in a sharp breath, I am here, giving myself up for the sake of our cause and she wants to lecture me for flirting with a pretty girl?

"I don't have to excuse myself to you," Ulrika said.

"Maybe not to me, but what about Elena? That poor woman loves you, has always been there for you. And what are you doing? Hitting on every pretty face you come across." Ilona replied.

Ulrika sat down at the table next to her, "first, Elena and I have an open relationship. She has dated others as well during it. And even if we weren't this is none of your business."

Ilona shook her head, "I see, seems Tobin was wrong when he said you've matured. You seem to be the same woman child you have been all those years."

The blonde Colonel jumped to her feet, knocking her chair to the ground, "yeah? Well maybe I am. At least I'm not getting upset at someone flirting a bit." She knew that Ilona had a point but in this moment her state of mind overruled her common sense.

"I just think you shouldn't flirt with Jaina," Ilona said firmly.

"Why?" Ulrika felt how she was getting more and more heated. "Because she is a woman? Or are you jealous to seeing me with her?" She knew herself it was neither of these, but in her anger she still said it.

"Now you are getting childish," The black haired woman replied. "What is the real reason for this? You wouldn't risk everything just for a flirt."

"I said that my private life is none of your business," Ulrika spat at Ilona, before sitting down again.

"Oh well, seems this new friendship of ours means as much to it as our first." Ilona replied and Ulrika saw a hint of tears on her face.

She was right, of course she was, as always. Even if she didn't know the whole story.

"I'm afraid," Ulrika muttered after a moment. Holding up one of her hands to show Ilona that they were shaking. She bit her lip, but Ilona was right, if she wanted to keep their friendship she needed to be honest with her. "In the last few weeks there wasn't a day when I didn't second guess my decision to face this trial. And what might happen to me during it."

Ilona looked at her, now softer again. "I have your back during that."

Ulrika chewed on her lip, "I know, but... I could be sentenced to death. Or a long time in prison, an imperial prison, you don't know what kind of abuse happens there. I..." she lowered her head. "I sound like a coward."

A hand on her bare shoulder had her look up, she saw Jaina Solo standing behind her chair. "You aren't a coward, what you did was very brave."

"Don't feel like that at all right now." Ulrika replied, she knew that Jaina had probably heard most of their conversation. Now it was probably too late to play cool so she decided to open up. This was something different than going to battle, there she could always fight back, rely on her squad mates. Here she was helpless, alone in front of judge, jury and when it came to it executioner. There was nothing she could do. Her fate was in their hands.

She had flirted with Jaina to distract herself, to get excited over something as to not fall into complete despair, now that her trial would begin soon.

"So you've been searching for some sweet release in my arms," Jaina chuckled, but it was a warm friendly laughter. "You wouldn't be the first, I myself did the same before." She sat down next to them and one of the droid chef´s brought their food.

Ulrika felt how her face turned red, it was rare that this happened, usually she stood above these feelings, but now she couldn't prevent it. "Yeah, but I think we should save that drink we talked about for the celebration after my acquittal."

"Ulrika," Ilona said, sternly, but friendly at the same time.

"Well then, it's a deal," Jaina though replied, giving Ilona a reassuring glance. "Just don't forget that my boyfriend is in charge of the Imperial Remnant." She twinkled, but the turned serious. "Which is the other reason I'm here."

"I suspected as much," Ilona muttered. "Jagged wants to know what's going on with these Imperials here."

Jaina nodded, "he does, and in truth I'm not supposed to let you know. But given that you would figure it out eventually anyway."

"Do you think this could influence my trial?" Ulrika asked, feeling a bit of hope rising inside of her again.

Jaina shrugged, "not sure to be honest. The Remnant abandoned these colonial territories and there hasn't been any contact with them for decades, I doubt they would even want to go back."

"Even if they did," Ilona added. "I doubt the governments of Eriadu, the Kathol Republic and others would want to content with Remnant influences in the Southwest. We already have more than enough problems of our own in our little corner of space."

Jaina took a bit from her food and Ulrika couldn't help but smile at her reaction. Tears filled the Jedi's eyes as the spiciness of it reached her tongue. Jaina saw her glance and returned the smile, albeit in a slightly pained way. After taking a sip of wine she said, "oh I have been warned about the Eriaduan kitchen but didn't expect it to be that strong. I will get back at you for this."

"Looking forward to seeing you try," Ulrika replied.

"Honestly, can't it be that you are long lost twins, separated at birth?" Ilona asked, an exhausted smile on her face, but it disappeared as she saw Jaina's face and remembered.

"I'm sorry," Ulrika quickly stepped in to protect her friend. "I am sure Ilona didn't intent to talk about your brother with that."

A sad smile played around Jaina's lips. "No, it's okay. I made my peace with it."

"I'm sorry," Ilona said as well. "For your losses."

Jaina nodded slowly but her face said something different, if only you two knew.

"Maybe we should go back on how to handle the trial," Ulrika offered to break the silence that followed.

But Jaina waved her hand and her smile returned. "Enough of politics and darkness for this evening. I would like to hear more of you two, given that we will spent the next few days together."

Ilona let out a deep breath, than she said, "I'm sure Ulrika and I can agree with that."

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Kahara and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I hope Ulrika will come out of the trial as a free woman. Can Jaina help?

Kahara and Mira Grau like this.
  3. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well depends on how much of her mothers political skill she inherited I guess. ;)

Two

"Are we really going to do this?" Xenia asked the others as they stood beneath the trees inside the snowy forest of Curean. Snow on Eriadu was often brown or grey, due to the toxic air of the planets ruined ecosystem. But here, on this sparsely populated world it was white and unspoiled, looking almost too pure to be true to the Falleen.

Elena gave her a nod, "we will, hardly the first time we have done so before, even if then the boss was with us."

Xenia had noted that even though Elena had now officially been promoted to the rank of colonel everyone seemed to pretty much still consider Ulrika the actual squad leader. It was amusing in a way, but it also gave away a certain insecurity about Elena leading the squad. While being more calm and thoughtful she lacked Ulrika's magnetic charisma and radiant self confidence.

She will grow inside her new position in time, Ulrika had assured them and Xenia knew she was probably right. Still without Ulrika, something was clearly missing from the squad and at times even small fights had broken out between its members.

"Question is if she even comes," Anela said, leaning against a tree, Katia as always by her side. For a while Xenia had suspected the two senior officers were in a relationship, given how close they were at all times. But in fact both of them had husbands back on Eriadu. A surgeon and a lawyer respectively. Marriages between ORSF members were, at least officially, forbidden but members were allowed to marry people outside the military.

"She will come," Lieutenant Kinga said confidently.

Xenia considered it a good decision that Elena had made her, her second in command. The bronze skinned Amazon was not only a great fighter but also had the confidence their new colonel lacked at times.

"And you know that why?" Hilda asked cowering on the ground while looking up to the stars.

Kinga smiled as she played with the long braid of her black hair. "Because even bad girls like her love their mommies."

"Well you and I know for a fact that even bad guys can love their daughters," Elena said, returning Kinga's smile. "So why not the opposite as well."

"Honestly, you guys and your messed up home life's, should form a self help group," Katia shoot at her superior officers.

Xenia had by now learned about Elena's father, as well as Kinga's at times troubled family life and it had only made her feel glad how lucky she was with her loving mother and stepfather.

"Says the right one," Anela fired back at her best friend. "Shouldn't you be the first to join such a group, Sergeant Darb?"

Katia spat on the ground, "don't bring that up."

"What happened?" Xenia asked, her curiosity getting the better of her before she could stop herself. "I... I'm sorry."

Katia gave her a shrug, "my younger brother, Welmo. He was a traitor he fought for Jacen Solo during the Second Galactic Civil War, and had been spying on Eriadu even before that."

"He and I used to date during the Vong War," Anela added. "Until I found out he was two timing me with Ilona Malek, or her with me, not sure. In the end he only cared about our families money anyway..."

"But why? Aren't you Nobles?" Xenia asked, shocked to hear about such gross misconduct.

"On paper," Katia said. "But our grandfather squandered pretty much the entire fortune. We had enough to scrape by but nothing more. Welmo, he had all those grand plans to bring our family back from the brink, to restore our pride...."

"There wasn't a low that he wouldn't sink to, to achieve that goal," Anela continued shaking her head. "Still can't believe I fell for him back then."

Katia placed a hand on her friend shoulder, "hey, we all did. Didn't we?"

"Ulrika broke his nose when he tried it with her," Elena inserted. "After you and Ilona had dumped him."

Anela allowed herself a smile, "that was the day she won my eternal loyalty."

"Where is Welmo now?" Xenia asked, hoping this traitor was safely behind bars.

"He is dead," Katia said, spitting on the ground again. "Murdered by our dear military commander of this very world."

"Kat?" The Falleen's eyes widened.

Katia nodded, "after the war, with his big new friend Jacen dead he tried to take some personal revenge on Ilona. Yet it only ended up with him being murdered himself."

"It wasn't murder." Anela said softly.

"No? I've seen the footage and Kat didn't even try to deny it. They had disarmed and wrestled him down when she slit his throat!" Katia took a deep breath, her face red with anger. "He was a traitor and a creep, yes. But kriff it he was also my little brother! Couldn't they have..." she stopped herself and for a second Xenia believed to see a hint of tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry," she said again, stepping closer to place a hand on Katia's shoulder.

Katia gave her a thankful look, "hey, it's okay. I had long since burnt all bridges with him, yet at the same time... I wonder if I hadn't, if I had tried to reach out to him. Maybe I could have prevented things from getting worse. Maybe I could have..."

"...don't do that." Cari, who so far had stood silently in the shadows, suddenly said firmly. "Don't wonder what could have been. What happened, happened, there is nothing we can do know. If you feel you bad for your brother than try to remember him for the good times, not the bad ones. That is all we can do."

Katia gave her a nod, the moment of sadness beginning to vanish from her face, "I know. As I said, made my peace with it. Just wish people would stop calling me a traitors sister..." Yet as she turned a bit Xenia noticed the glare in her eyes as she looked back towards the city and the tower.

They had spent the last few months on Curean as part of 'garrison duty' but tonight a new opportunity presented itself to them, an opportunity that also bore tremendous risks.

"Nobody in the squad did that, didn't they?" Anela asked her best friend. "If one did let me know and I set them straight."

"No, not here, but behind my back, at HQ and other places, getting hate mail as well." Katia said, but then added a twinkle, "if it where letters I could keep my fireplace running on them."

Elena chuckled, "oh I know that, between my dad, the 'unfair advantage' I had during my training and all the trouble Ulrika got me into I just stopped counting how many people called for my head."

Xenia gave both of them a grin, "should see the death threats I get on a regular basis for being the first nonhuman in the ORSF."

Kinga mockingly slowly clapped her hands, "girls, has it come this far? That we are fighting over who gets the most hate mail?"

"I know exactly what dirty joke Ulrika would make right now," Elena said with a twinkle. "Not to mention how her pile probably dwarfs all of ours even when combined."

The women shared a laugh at this, that was only stopped by the roaring of engines above. A ship was closing in onto the small clearing. It wasn't large, a good sign at least, but Xenia still placed her hand on the blaster on her hip. She wasn't a good shoot but improving as she trained alongside the other officers on the training range.

She noticed how the others readied themselves as well, as did the soldiers hidden between the trees. Than Elena lead them onto the clearing to await the ships landing.

It took a while before the ramp was extended and the ships lone occupant stepped outside. Wearing comparatively light clothing the young Falleen woman was clearly shivering in the wintery night. That was good, it would weaken their opposition.

Her eyes widened as she saw Xenia, "you?" She saw Kinga, then Cari.

"Hi," Xenia couldn't help herself to smile at the woman's shocked reaction. "Wearing a different outfit this time, but yeah we met before."

A weak, almost defeated grin appeared on their opponents face, "seems you've played me quite a bit that day, I have to admit." But then her face turned dark again, "where is my mother?"

"On Eriadu," Elena continued. "In the Phelar Correction Facility for women specifically."

For a moment worry appeared on the young Falleen's face, "what did you do to her?"

"Nothing," Kinga said. "We put her on trial and she received a life sentence. Otherwise she is fine, maybe better than ever, I never did it myself but heard that breaking rocks to dust all day does wonders for your fitness." She gave the Falleen a grin. "You might want to try it out yourself."

The young woman, Xela as they knew by now crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Is that why you called me here? To taunt me?"

"No, we are here to make an offer," Elena said firmly.

"I see, and if I decline? Then you put me into a cell next to my mother's?" Xela asked.

"No, what do you think of us?" Hilda said, clearly enjoying tormenting the slave trader. "In contrast to you folks we actually keep our promises. We promised you save passage here and back. It's just, there is always a risk some of our communications could be leaked to your higher ups in the Iron Alliance. Totally coincidentally of course but if it were to happen, don't you think you would wish sitting in a nice cell instead?"

Xela's eyes darted from one of them to the other. Unsure and clearly afraid.

"We only say this," Cari entered the conversation. "To make it clear to you how little choice there actually is for you."

"You..." Xela's eyes rested on Cari's scars for a moment. "Has every damned enemy of the Iron Alliance assembled here today?"

"Your people have far more enemies than just us," Anela assured her.

Katia stepped next to her, "your time is running out. Better jump the sinking ship now don't you think?"

For a moment Xela said nothing, then she asked, "what do you want of me?"

Elena took a step closer to her, "you get us: As in me and my squad inside of Qaelan. Pretending to be mercenaries you hired. We will stay in your palace there and you will provide us with any assistance we require."

Xela raised an eyebrow, "you want to... you want to take Qaelan? That is pure suicide. Even the Alliance barely managed to take it from the Empire."

"Which is why we need forces on the inside," Kinga explained, "and local allies."

"And I am supposed to be your ally?" Xela took a step back.

"You are the best we've got." Hilda said firmly.

"I... I can't do this. They will kill me." the young Falleen slaver almost begged.

"Think of the consequences of saying no," Cari reminded her. "Do you think the Alliance would just kill you for meeting with us? They would torture you, until every little bit of information has been pressed out of you. And then they will continue for a while just for fun. And only when you have been fully broken will they finally slap that collar around your pretty neck and sell you to a mine or a night club."

Xela just looked at her, breathing quickly and panicked.

"On the flipside," Xenia said, taking a much nicer tone. "If you help us we will grant you political asylum on Eriadu. Where you would live inside a reasonably comfortable house arrest, with the options of dropping these restrictions in a couple of decades if you are deemed properly reformed. An Eriaduan life sentence is a 100 years, she is only about ninety right now so your mother could join you once she has served hers... We might even, in the event of excellent and flawless cooperation on your side, be 'persuaded' to re evaluate her sentence to one that is at least a bit shorter."

It was a generous offer, certainly a better one than Xora and her daughter deserved, but in the end it was an acceptable sacrifice for the chances it offered. If the cost for saving nearly a million slaves is letting two slavers off the hook easier than they deserve than I gladly take that deal... Xenia and her higher ups had decided.

Xela let out a deep breath, "I don't really have choice in the matter... do I. So yes, I'll do it."

"No you don't," Elena said. "Welcome on the good girls side."

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    Kahara likes this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the girls bantering about their past and convincing Xela to join them

5. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Glad you did. :)

Three

It was cold on Caean, snowflakes dancing in the nightly wind as the three women stepped outside of their ship. Wearing cloaks over their formal clothe helped fend off the cold but Jaina still hoped they wouldn´t stay outside for too long.

The light of several spotlights pointed at the landing pad and the soldiers awaiting them. Having spend much time with Jag in the remnant the image of Stormtroopers was nothing new to Jaina, even if in this case she noticed that their equipment was older, more outdated than that the remnant usually used.

Leading the soldiers was a pale man with graying pitch black hair, who alone amongst them had taken his helmet off. He stood so straight that Jaina wondered if he had swallowed a stick and his face gave away not a shred of emotion.

Her companions knew him though as a small smile played around Ulrika´s lips. "Captain Laric," she gave the man a salute.

The Captain returned the gesture, "Colonel Grau, Ambassador Malek." He turned to Jaina, a questioning look on his face.

Unsure if she should salute as well she instead offered him her hand. "Jaina Solo," she could have added her title as a Jedi master, but this was probably not the best place to use the name of her order. Not until she knew how... well orthodox these Imperials still were.

The man, Laric gave her a sharp nod, yet ignored her outstretched hand.

Seems we are not that far yet. Jaina noticed, wondering how much the captain knew about her family. She tried to sense his mind with the force, but found it hard to find more than a strong sense of duty, and maybe the merest shred of sympathy... but she wasn´t sure for whom.

"Colonel Grau, you will need to hand over your weapons before you are escorted to prison." The captain said after a quiet moment.

"Prison? I thought the trial is yet to take place?" Ilona asked, clearly surprised by this turn of events.

"I am sorry, it's the law of the regent, Colonel Grau assaulted a member of our military and she poses a risk of flight. We need to keep her under arrest for the duration of the trial, for our and her own sake." Laric explained.

"That won´t be necessary," Jaina said, waving her hand in front of the captains chest. "Colonel Grau can stay with us for the duration of the trial."

Laric didn´t even flinch and as he raised his eyebrow he seemed almost... amused. "Miss Solo, do I need to remind you that any attempt to influence me will only hurt your position in court?"

"Girls, it's okay, I messed up, I will face the consequences," Ulrika said as she stepped forth, turned around and crossed her hands on her back. The force told Jaina that she wasn´t nearly as calm and confident as she acted, but she certainly tried her best to appear brave.

Laric gave the others a nod, as he pulled out a pair of handcuffs and placed them around Ulrika´s wrists. Then he gave a nod to several of his soldiers, "escort colonel Grau to the holding cells."

As she was lead away Ulrika threw a final glance at them, and again Jaina noticed how she was fighting to keep her composure. For a moment she used to reassure the Colonel, then she turned back to the Imperial Captain. "So, what now?"

"The Regent has requested to meet Ambassador Malek and the Ambassador of the Remnant tonight." Laric said.

Jaina´s eyes widened in surprise for a moment. How did he knew? "You have been informed of my mission?" In truth of course there was no mission, this part was utterly unofficial, only between her and Jag.

The older man´s face didn´t give away anything as he said, "there are still those in the remnant who haven´t forgotten what loyalty means."

They have spies in the remnant? Informants? How far does this go? She needed to contact Jag about this.

Ilona had heard a lot about the regent, and just like the others had asked herself several times what kind of man he would be. Ulrika had mentioned the reverence in which the Imperials spoke about him, how they considered him the only reason that any of them were still alive. A man who, by the law at least, was the legitimate successor of Palpatine. And yet also someone they had never even heard of until Ulrika had meet Laric and his forces a few months ago.

Sometimes Ilona had imagined him as a dark Jedi, another version of the Emperor or Jacen Solo, other times she had expected a warlord, like Delvardus had been, covered in medals and openly wearing weapons. Must more often than not she had expected a man like Tarkin, a cold calculating man with no conscience or emotions.

The man behind the desk who slowly stood up as they entered wasn´t tall, his white uniform was crumpled and bare of any medals or other signs of office. He was old, maybe not as old as her father but not far behind and just like with her father she noticed the clouds in his eyes as he watched her and Jaina enter the room. Not much was left of his hair, and what was had long since turned white it seemed. The regent was a thin man, someone who had spent his life working behind a desk and never been in a battle.

The regent had a guest a young woman wearing a grey imperial uniform. She was slender and had long brown hair, and the smile she gave the guests was warm and welcoming.

"So here we are at last," the regent said, his voice was weak, the voice of an old man, yet it had a melody to it that was captivating. "I hope your travels were save."

"As save as it can be during war time," Ilona answered and inclined her head towards their host. "Even if I wish the circumstances where happier."

"The trial, yeah, a regrettable necessity. Yet the law needs to be honored, even times of war doesn´t it?" The regent continued his questions. Eyeing Ilona directly.

Does he know about my personal relations with the subject? Or what is he getting at? Unsure how to act Ilona decided to go with the truth. "During war times its even more important to remain faithful to the law, otherwise war crimes will run rampant and non combatants will suffer."

A small smile played around the regents lips for a moment, "someone with principles, there are only few people like you left in the galaxy these days. Most have abandoned that way of thinking years ago, despite claiming otherwise. You are traveling with interesting companions for such an integer woman Ilona Malek. Colonel Grau has broken almost every rule of war during her time in the peace brigade, and that is nothing to say of Miss Solo, it surely must take a strong conscience to assassinate the own brother."

For a moment a strange glance filled Jaina´s eyes but afterwards Ilona was sure to have imagined it.

"Is that what you called us here for? To insult us? If so I could have just stayed on Coruscant." Jaina said, before biting her lip.

The old man still smiled patiently. "Not at all Miss Solo. You have shown great determination, a will to put the galaxy´s safety above your own family, there are few people strong enough to make a similar decision. And being someone like that myself, I think it's best if the three of us agree to be honest towards each other, and drop the small talk and political maneuvering. I´m too old to waste any more time on them."

"Agreed," Jaina said firmly, before Ilona had even a chance to say something.

"Good," the regent sat down again and gestured at the two chairs in front of him. "Please, take a seat then." He gestured at the young woman. "This is Cassandra Torin, Colonel Grau might have mentioned her, she will serve as her defender during the trial."

Cassandra shook their hands, "Ulrika helped me save my world, I am now repaying that favor."

"How do you think her odds are?" Ilona asked, forgetting the protocol for a moment, and being a bit surprised just how much she worried about Ulrika.

"Well, to be honest, this entire trial is a joke." Cassandra said, after exchanging a quick look with her ruler. "Our law clearly states that captives are not to be killed for no reason. In that situation, the captives did not try to break free, did not try to alert further enemies, there was no immediate danger of them being freed, nor a lack of resources to keep them supplied and restrained. Ulrika acted completely within the boundaries of the law. In fact even showed outright restrain as she just knocked Lieutenant Duran out and tied her up. Even if she had killed her, she would have been within her rights to protect prisoners of war."

It took Ilona a while to take in these information's and just as before Jaina was ahead of her.

"Then why did you even bring her here? Put her into a cell? If this case has absolutely no base?" The Jedi asked, clear annoyance in her voice.

"Because this matter has grown beyond just Ulrika and her actions." The regent said with a sigh. "This is a matter of politics. Ulrika has, for better or worse become a symbol of cooperation between the ORSF and us. She lead the forces that saved one of our worlds, she herself took down the Nagai Warlord leading them. She was the driving force behind the death of one of the most vile traitors of our time."

"This has made her a hero for many," Cassandra continued. "But a danger to others. Some begin to fear that the Eriaduan influence is overtaking our nation. If Ulrika can command Imperial Troops in battle, then how far are we still from becoming a vassal state to Eriadu? How long until this last bastion of imperial rule falls apart. And there are others as well more conservative elements in society, who think the idea alone that a woman can successfully lead forces preposterous."

Ilona and Jaina both let out a groan at the last bit, but Ilona asked, "Duran is a woman in a position of command as well? How can she stand for that?"

"People do illogical things all the time, especially if they feel humiliated." The regent said quietly. "This matter has long since grown beyond just Duran. She has little say left in the matter, one way or another."

"She is little more than a mouthpiece for the anti alliance faction these days." Cassandra summed it up. "Which makes the trial of utmost importance. People from all over our worlds are following it. Many hoping, others fearing."

"If it's essentially a show trial anyway," Ilona asked. "Can´t you just pardon Ulrika?"

The regent slowly shook his head, "we can´t. For several reasons. First is that if we pardon her we would imply that she was indeed guilty cause she needed a pardon to escape her punishment. Second, is that the military is upset. As justified as it was what she did. Ulrika attacked one of their own, they demand this trial to be held. Third is that if I pardon Ulrika, the position of my enemies is strengthened, because what better proof of the Eriaduan subversion of the government could there be than me using my powers to pardon a member of the ORSF? Me bending the law for outsiders? What little stability we still have would be gone."

"So you are risking Ulrika´s life in this trial instead? Very brave." Jaina shoot at him.

The old man let out a sigh, "you must understand, since the self proclaimed, Imperial Remnant betrayed us we have been alone. We had told hold the line against rebels and the Iron Alliance. We had no allies, no support. And yet we held the line. Our people are hesitant to trust outsiders, they fear another betrayal, and I won´t judge them for that. The Eriaduans have sat idly by, paying tribute to the Iron Alliance while we bleed. And now suddenly they want to be our allies? Maybe even more than that? Our new overlords? There are many in our nation who are utterly against this alliance. If we anger these people even more we have a civil war at our hands. I regret Ulrika got pulled into this. But she has, for better or worse become the symbol of this change. And as such she needs to win her trial fair and square. For only then, can we hope to win over those who are still too afraid to make a move."

Tag, as requested: @Sinrebirth

Kahara and Sinrebirth like this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW I hope Ulrika will win

7. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well currently her odds don´t look too bad don´t they?

Four

"And you are?"

"Lydia Kirova," Kinga said, the often practiced lie coming easily over her lips.

The Trandosians tongue flickered over rows of sharp teeth, he clearly had heard that name before. "The defector?"

"One and the same," Kinga pulled down her collar a bit so he could see the defaced ORSF tattoo on her right shoulder.

"And you are here for the merchandize?" He asked, his face giving away some real respect.

"Did you figure that out on your own? Then you might be smart enough as well to know I am no woman to be left waiting." Kinga said harshly.

"We've already delivered Xela a month worth," The Trandosian slaver guarding the storehouse replied, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "And she hasn't sold any of them yet."

He is pretty well informed, Kinga noticed, but she knew what she had to do. "She is expanding her business, which is why me and my girls now work for her." Her right hand played with the hilt of her blaster, casually but underlining the threat she posed.

"Then she needs to pay up, these slaves aren't catching themselves." The slaver replied coldly. "If you work for her, you know the price."

"This price is inacceptable, you get half and that's it," Kinga said firmly. They, off course, had more than enough money to pay for the slaves, but this wasn´t about saving money. It was about getting the message across.

"You pay just as everyone else, little woman," the Trandosians spat through his teeth some of his salvia landing on Kinga's bronze skin.

"Big mistake," Kinga said, slowly, yet still utterly calm. Then as he still smiled, her iron capped boot found his right knee. With the lighting fast reflexes her mother´s blood granted her Kinga had drawn her blaster and pointed it at his head. Her soldiers followed the signal as they quickly drew their guns and killed the slavers bodyguards standing behind him. The hired goons knew how to keep unruly slaves under control but stood no chance against the trained ORSF soldiers. Soon they were all on the ground, several dead, other clutching wounds.

"P...please," the Trandosians voice was cracking, he clearly hadn't expected that. "We c...can make a deal."

And in the end you are nothing but a pathetic bully, just like all of your kind, Kinga though as she enjoyed his panic for a moment. "A deal huh? You've just lost any value you could offer." She gestured as his surviving goons being restrained by her soldiers.

"I... please, you can take the slaves, for free..." he begged.

"Oh I will, as well as the rest." Kinga said still utterly calm and polite. "Should have taken the money." She turned to her red headed second. "Slap a collar around his neck and sell him to the forges, they like the scaly boys there."

"Yes ma'am!" Hilda replied with a grin as she quickly collared and handcuffed the former slaver.

"No... no, you can't do this!" the Trandosians screamed as Hilda and a few others lead him away.

Kinga allowed herself a smile, in contrast to Elena she considered Hilda's method of disposing of slaver more than just. Especially when it also helped them strengthen their reputation. Then she stepped forth to face his captured goons, "does any of you have more brains inside your skull than that guy?"

None of them responded, all of them shivering, fearing to speak up as they exchanged quick glances between each other. Kinga picked a young Kage, as she noticed the remnants of a slave tattoo on his arm. He had probably been a slave before being 'promoted' to his current position.

"You," she pointed at him and he was dragged before her. "You are a smart kid aren't you?"

"I... I am, whatever the mistress needs." He was shaking, sweating, clearly expecting his end to draw near.

"You at least have some manners. So let me tell you the deal. You and your friends now work for Xela, for us. You make your deals with us, provide your wares to us. In return you get rich. If you even think about crossing us you end up in the forges yourself. Understood?"

"Yes... yes. Thank you mistress." He shook in fear but seemed to have realized he would keep his head, for now at least.

"Good your first task is to clean up this mess," she pointed at the dead guards. "We take care of the slaves."

There was a reason they had chosen this slaver, besides his barely existing influence that would prevent any reprisals. As Kinga entered the storehouse her heart was nearly torn apart at the sight. It was filled with young attractive teenagers, most of them humans, some of them barely clothed. "Hi ladies and gentlemen," she introduced herself, knowing she had to keep up the masquerade for a while longer. "Welcome to the first day of your new lives."

"Honestly we should consider do this for real," Anela said as they returned. Together with Katia she guarded the entrance of Xela's compound as Kinga and the others arrived, the haul of slaves in tow. "We could take over the trade within a year tops."

"I haven't heard that sergeant," Kinga said firmly. There were other guards patrolling along the fences of the property. Some of them had been slaves themselves only a few days ago, and so had taken little 'persuasion' to switch their place in the slave pens with that of the real guards.

Once this place had been the villa of an Imperial noble and his family, but Xenia and her daughter had taken it over shortly after the planet had fallen. Amongst the slaves Elena and the squad had freed they had even found the nobles son and daughter, who had been enslaved as kids and spent the last three decades in chains.

"Ah mistress you are back," a voice called out to them. A woman of about forty years awaited them, dressed in a simple servant uniform.

Kinga shook her head, "again, Kira. I am no one's mistress and yours certainly not. You are a free woman now."

"I... yes mistress... I'm sorry." She lowered her head.

Kinga heard the murmuring in the line of slaves behind her, so she decided it was time. She turned around, standing on the steps of the mansion as she gave her soldiers a gesture. "It is over, you are safe." She pulled out her service batch and raised it for a moment. "We are the ORSF, the worst is over. Please, remain calm, you will receive treatment and medical care."

Kinga watched as the soldiers opened the handcuffs and collars, while Xenia and several other medics approach the captives to lead them into their makeshift medical station in the basement. Of course barely any one of them was calm in any way. Some pushed the soldiers away, one even tried to run past the entrance of the property yet Dannika gently stopped the young woman.

Kinga was proud to see her here. She had returned to the hospital after her first taste of battle, yet when they had sought for volunteers for this mission she had been amongst the first medics to step forward to help. She was unable to forget the cruelties of the Iron Alliance in the hospital, so she returned to the front. They had initially brought the medics with them to aid in the deactivation of the slave chips, but given the physical and mental state several of the rescued slaves where in they had also been forced to take care of pretty much everything a medic might be prepared for, and some which you aren't prepared for. As Xenia had put it.

Other former slaves were thanking their rescuers, shook their hands, hugged and in one instance even kissed them. Kinga also saw several young couples embrace each other as they began to realize that their nightmare was over.

"Their own planet handed them over..." Kinga muttered. "They hold a vote each year to determine who has to go." She shook her head in disgust.

"It brought their planet peace, the sacrifice of a few dozen teenagers each year to keep thousands of others safe," Kira explained.

"It's wrong and disgusting," Kinga said. "How can you defend that?"

"What would have been the alternative? Having their entire planet conquered, everyone killed or enslaved?" the former noble offered.

Kinga took a deep breath, she knew that Kira had spent the last decades as a slave but... "is that how Xela justifies what she does? How Xela does it?"

"I..." Kira lowered her head. "I'm sorry mis... no. Lydia..."

Kinga gently placed a hand on her shoulder. "It's Kinga, Lydia is my cover identity."

Lydia Kirova had been a creation by herself and Ulrika, born from two flaks of liquor one night many years ago. Like Kinga she was a nobles daughter, and just like Kinga's her mother was a Sephi servant. But unlike Kinga who had been able to hide that part of her heritage during her life, Lydia´s had been discovered and so she had been cast out of the ORSF, yet dragged most of her squad with her, becoming traitors and mercenaries. The other members of the squad had certainly enjoyed creating these fallen versions of themselves. There were bounties on their heads offered by the Eriaduan government and occasionally they would appear in news coverage, with the squad members playing 'themselves' for the necessary footage. It was a ruse, a fake story and fake personas created for instances like this, the infiltration of enemy territory.

"Have the others returned?" Kinga asked, wanting to break the silence.

"Some of them," Kira reported. "Shall I plan for the others to dinner?"

Kinga let out a sigh, "you know you don't have to..."

"Let me do at least that for you, you freed our lives, you deserve a good meal," Kira said firmly.

"Well can't argue with that," Kinga replied with a twinkle before she walked down the stairs again to help out the others.

"What do you report?" Elena asked, paddling a bit with her legs in the water.

Having mostly returned from their daily business the 'officers' had gathered in one of the quieter basement rooms around the pool. Having stripped down to their bikinis and bathing suits they rested as they recapitulated the day to their commander.

"Most of our newly freed slaves are okay," Dannika reported, sitting next to Xenia on one of the benches. "We removed their chips, some needed a sedative but all were successful."

"Can any of them fight?" Elena continued.

"Some have basic skills, and we have several volunteers," Kinga reported, drifting on the warm water on her back. She enjoyed being out of her dirty mercenary clothes for once just feeling the water on her skin as she relaxed her muscles. The new vat grown arm that replaced her mechanical arms still felt hyper sensetive to the water and thus tickled quite a bit. But she still prefered it over the mechanical prostetic.

"I don't like putting them in danger," Hilda said as she began another length.

"We have little choice in the matter," Anela said as she gave Katia's neck a massage. "The plan is to cause a slave uprising when your forces attack this world. Slaves will die during that." She lowered her gaze for a moment. "But they would be in danger anyway."

"Well better dead than still a slave," Hilda said. "Some of them, well..." she turned to Elena. "I caught Jace last night. He tried to sneak into her room." She pointed at Xela who sat alone at the other side of the pool and looked at her knees.

Jace was Kira's brother, and like her he had been treated comparatively well by Xenia and her daughter. Xela had even occasionally shown her house slaves a bit of kindness. And, for about two decades had shared her bed with Jace.

Xela jumped to her feet, splashing water across the room. "So much for freeing him then. Are you now forbidding my boyfriend from me?" There was anger in her voice, but Kinga wasn't sure if it was made from real care or just a spoiled girl throwing an tantrum over having been denied her favorite toy.

"He is not your boyfriend, he is your slave. Or he used to be, he is not your toy anymore," Hilda said, slowly, yet the barely repressed rage was noticeable for all of them. The red haired woman pulled herself onto the edge of the pool and gave Xela a dark glare.

Before the young Falleen could answer the door opened and the last of them entered. Kinga couldn't help but admire Cari's massive muscular body in her short bikini. Her skin covered in scars, tattoos and piercings she looked every bit the perfect warrior she was.

"You already began without me?" Her grin was surprisingly soft and playful for such a large and powerful woman.

"If you take so long..." Kinga teased her a bit as she swam towards her.

"In contrast to your beautiful head I have to be careful where I show my ugly face," Cari smiled. "Had a close call, could have been discovered."

Elena instantly looked up, "but you weren't?"

"No," Cari said firmly. "And it was worth it. I've got some valuable information's. First of that the Iron Lord is going to visit Qaelan next week."

For a moment silence filled the room as all of them moved a bit closer to Cari. Kinga felt how her heart began to race.

"How secure is that info?" Elena asked.

"I would bet my life on it, unless something planet shaking happens, he will come," Cari said. "He wants to inspect the war preparations, the state of the industry."

Kinga pulled herself out of the water next to Elena. "Then we need to be extra careful in the next few days. The pirates will move on eggshells."

"Couldn't we hasten the invasion?" Katia suggested. "So we can catch him here when the attack happens."

"No," Kinga said, "to get enough forces assembled takes time. Plus even if we could it's impossible for the Iron Lord not to find out and cancel his visit, or he could even decide to bring his main fleet here for protection."

"An assassination attempt then?" Anela asked.

Elena shrugged, "need to converse with high command about that. But even if not, I think it would be a good chance to get a closer look at our enemy, maybe converse with him."

"And with us you mean me?" Kinga asked, shivering a bit at the thought.

"If any of us has a chance to get close to him its Lydia Kirova the fame scourge of Eriadu," Cari said, nodding slowly. "But she would need an established member of the Iron Alliance to get this far."

All eyes turned towards Xela, who took a step back, "no! This is insanity. It's one thing to house you here and let you do your preparations. But doing this, taking part in an assassination attempt against the Iron Lord... I could rather just drown myself here and now and be done with it."

"Then just do it!" Hilda spat at her. "Drown yourself here, then there is at least one less slaver in the galaxy and you would have at least done a single good deed in your entire life. We find someone else."

"What a way to treat an ally," Xela fired back. "You separate me from my boyfriend, use my home and money, keep my mother captive. And now you just want me to die."

"Most of our allies aren't slavers." Anela replied.

Xela laughed, "yeah sure. Put all the blame on me. Let me just ask you one question princess, how much does your family pay all your non human workers? How are they treated? I bet they have barely enough to survive. But of course, once you drop the word 'slavery' this form of exploitation becomes instantly morally correct." She made a pause to take a breath, then she continued. "What about your peoples crimes? Driving my species nearly to extinction." She placed a finger on Xenia´'s chest, "how can you work for them? What did they promise you to betray everything you are?"

"Shut your mouth!" Hilda said, barely controlling her anger. "You have no idea of the suffering you caused. You can be glad that we had some use for you, but if one more insult comes over your lips I swear I sell you to the forges."

"It spirals out of control," Elena whispered to Kinga. "We need to do something."

"No," Kinga said, calmly.

"What?" The colonel glared at her.

"You need to do something," Kinga whispered back. "Remind them who is in charge." In the last days Elena had relied on her to keep the squad in check, but Kinga knew her friend needed to stand on her own two feet to be worthy of her command.

Elena looked at her for a moment, then she nodded. Jumping into the water she landed next to Xela and gave her a strong push, throwing her off balance. "You want to run? Well then run you coward, throw away this chance of actually doing something meaningful in your life. I won't stop you, but you should know that even if you somehow manage to escape the Iron Alliance than we will hunt you down. No matter where you flee, we will get you, and then you can spent the rest of eternity smashing rocks alongside mommy dearest."

Xela stared at Elena, shaking, unable to say anything.

But Elena wasn't done. "Spare us that smug grin Hilda. If Jace wants to visit her tonight again you let him."

"But she is a slaver, she will..."

"If you are worried for his health than I herby allow you to sit down right outside of the door and listen in on what's happening. If she does abuse him you have my blessings to do whatever needs to be done." Elena said harshly.

"But Ulrika..." Hilda tried.

Elena stepped next to her and grabbed her by the collar of her bathing suit. "Ulrika is the least of your problems. You've joined the ORSF, which means you have agreed to follow your officers commands."

"Yes, ma'am," the red head replied, her voice dripping with rage.

"You are our friend, and I´m glad you are here," Elena said, her tone softening a bit. "But if you can't follow orders look forward to spending your ten years of service scrubbing the rest rooms of the military academy."

She turned back to all of them, "I know there are differences between us. But we are now in this together, there is no way back. So please, let bygones be bygones so we all get out of this alive. Do you understand that?"

Kinga smiled at her friend, finally understanding why this was the one person in the galaxy Ulrika was said to fear. She nodded, and so did the others, even Xela.

"Good," Elena pulled herself from the water again and briefly placed her hand on Kinga´s shoulder. "Thanks friend," she muttered.

Now give them something to blow of steam and calm down, Kinga was about to say but she saw Elena already had an idea.

The muscular blue haired woman returned, a water polo ball in her hand. "So ladies here is the deal. We still have half an hour until dinner. Hilda, Dannika, Xenia and Xela to me," she gave Kinga a grin, "you take our lovebirds and Cari, don't complain, we both know Cari is worth at least two of us in the water." The two friends exchanged a nod as they made their way to the opposite ends of the pool. Turning around to start the game Elena threw the ball into the air, "losers clean tonight's dishes!"

Kahara likes this.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great to see the slaves freed and good action from Kinga and Elena

9. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    They are a great team. :)

Five

Xela was laying on her side on her bed. Rubbing her sore hands against each other. Not being used to physical labor she had to admit, this had been harder than she had ever imagined. They had lost the water polo game, of course they had. The Karkarodon woman, Cari, she had truly been unstoppable in the water, and so even while they had been able to give Kinga´s team a good fight they had still lost...

Yet at the same time, none of the women had seen any shame in that, they had teased each other, very much so, but in the end Elena and her teammates had laughed at their own defeat. Even their 'punishment' being nothing but fun to them. Cleaning up the dishes for almost a hundred people had taken them more than an hour, but during it they had chatted with each other, teased and joked. Xela herself had even found the courage to open her mouth a few times, make a few sarcastic comments that had returned a few weak smiles.

It was something new to her, this familiarity between the soldiers, how they treated each other. In her life before, there had been her mother, who had taught her to be strong, careful and mistrust strangers at all times. There had been business partners and rivals, who had hidden their true motivations behind polite words, and then there had been the slaves, who had done what they needed to do and rarely spoken at all.

Kira and Jace had been different, closer to her than anyone besides her mother, probably the closest thing to 'friends' Xela had in her life. But even with them there had never been the level of trust and playfulness she had witnessed between Elena and the others. It was something different and as much as Xela tried to deny it she couldn´t help but feel... jealous? She laughed bitterly, how she be jealous of them they were nothing compared to her, a bunch of violent brutes who had taken over her home and kept her hostage. Still, if they actually succeeded, maybe she could live with Jace and Kira in that house arrest she had been promised. Maybe she would even occasionally help the two with household... she could.

The door opened quietly and she heard how Jace exchanged a few words with the cruel redhead. Of all of her captors Xela despised this Hilda the most, a feeling that was clearly mutual. The fallen knew the human had been a slave, but was that reason enough to hate her? Who had nothing to do with her enslavement and selling? Of course not, Hilda was just another victim, blaming everything but herself for the misery of her life.

When Jace entered and closed the door, Xela herself up and let the sheets slide from her body, revealing the skimpy nightgown she wore. "Hey, Jace." She said, with a playful grin and a sultry voice.

The human looked at her as he stepped closer. "Finally we are alone."

Xela´s grin only grew, he hadn´t abandoned her. Despite what their captors had try to tell him, he still loved her, just as she loved him. They had been together for so long, they belonged with each other. "Yeah, let's forget those women out there for the night," she replied, sitting up. "Just you and me." She reached for his hand...

He pulled his hand away from her, "don´t touch me." He said, his voice was cold.

"Jace?" Xela stared at him.

"You will never touch me or my sister again," Jace said coldly. "Nor do I wish to ever see your face again after tonight."

Xela couldn´t believe it, she loved this man? How could he say these things? This was a nightmare, it had to be. "Why are you saying that... we..."

"I slept with you..." Jace admitted. "Because it kept me and my sister save, because of the privileges it would grant us. That is all..."

"But... I..." Xela muttered, tears running over her face. She needed to wake up now, this terrible dream needed to end. "I care for you?"

"Like a owner cares for her pet?" Jace´s voice became louder. "Because I nothing more to you. I lived my entire life fearing you and your horrible mother. There wasn´t a single day where I didn´t fear being punished for every little mistake I made. Not a single day where I could be sure not to be abused just because you were in a bad mood."

"I never even hit you!" Xela screamed, and it was true. She had never hit one of her personal slaves.

"So want a price for basic decency?" Jace shook his head, "honestly I doubted you could be even more pathetic..."

He was cut off as the door flew open and Hilda entered the room, pointing her blaster at Xela. "Away from..." only then she realized the two weren´t even touching, and Jace was still fully clothed. "What is going on here?"

Jacen straightened his tunic, "I was just about to leave." He turned to the sobbing Xela, "it's over. Whatever you´ve imagined between us, it was never real, you were a tool for me. A tool to survive in this hell you and your mother created. I hope I never have to see you again."

"Jace..." Xela begged, each word of his cutting into her skin and causing her pain. "Please, Jace."

Without granting her another word or even a look, the man she had loved turned around and left, leaving Xela behind with Hilda.

"What did you do to him?" Xela asked, now feeling anger grow inside of her. Clearly Hilda must have done something to cause this turn. To cause the love of her life, the boy who had been with her for so long to turn on her.

"I? I freed him, allowed him to finally get away from you, bitch." Hilda spat at her. "What is it? Is our little slaver sad she lost her favorite plaything? Want mommy to cuddle you?"

"Why are you so cruel to me?" Xela screamed. "Why do you feel this need to torture me? What did I ever do to you?"

"To me personally?" Hilda said. "Nothing. But you perpetrate a system that destroyed my life. That destroys millions of lives every day." She sat down next to Xela. "Want to know what happened to me when the slavers came?" She gave Xela a hard push, so the fallen woman fell back onto her sheets. Hilda pointing her blaster at her chest.

"I was lying in my bed, peacefully, just like you do. And why not, I had a great day, me and my friends had played limmie all day on the field behind our school. Boys against girls, we won of course, and as a price the boys had to give us a kiss." For a moment a dreamy expression came to her face, but it quickly vanished. "I was lying on my bed, wondering about asking the boy who kissed me out the next day. Just like little girls do with little boys, then the screams came, the yelling. I heard my mother screech in unimaginable panic, my father yelling as blaster shoots happened outside of my door. I pulled the sheets over my head and hugged my bantha plushie, as if that could protect me."

With every word of her story, Xela´s own fear and discomfort grew, for her slaves, outside of Jace and Kira, had been just numbers, gods to be traded and to keep a distance from. Hearing this story, and staring directly at the expression on Hilda´s face... it made her shiver, made her beg that this poor girls story would have a good ending, despite knowing it wasn´t the case.

"I hear my door break open, I hear breathing, the breathing of an animal. The smell of blood and sweat fill my nose as I hug my bantha even tighter, tears of fear are running across my face and I wet myself. Then a roar, an inhumane roar as the sheets are ripped from my body. I scream, as I see this giant Tof above me. A hairy ape, smelling like a un cleaned restroom, pieces of flesh between his teeth. He grabs me, effortlessly with one hand, pulls me up my nightgown and throws me over his shoulder. Moving down inside our house again. I see how an even dirtier Tof carries my older sister who screams begs and yells just as I do. She was the beauty queen at the school prom and that made her a prime target for them, which I didn´t even understood at the time. They bring us into the living room. I see the dead body of my dad, with a hole in his stomach. Mom lies behind him, dying, most of her bones broken from the beating she received. I am thrown to the ground, howling in pain, then someone slaps a collar around my neck and gives me a kick in the ribs for good measure." Hilda pressed her blaster now directly on Xela´s chest. "I see how they look at each other. Talk in what amounts to grunts. I don´t understand what they want, but I hear my sister as she yells at them, begs them to take her instead. I see how one of them kneels down and rips her nightgown apart. I press my face into my plushie so I don´t have to see what happens next, but the screams..."

"Please stop," tears are running over Xela´s face. "Please, I´m sorry, I am so sorry for what happened to you, but please... stop, just stop. I can´t take this anymore."

But Hilda had no mercy, continuing her tale, how her sister had suffered, before eventually slitting her own wrists with a piece of broken glass. How her sacrifice had been in vain as Hilda had still been sold to the Senex Juvex Sector. How she had spend her teenage years wearing next to nothing, serving cruel men who would touch, leer and on occasion do even more to her.

In the end Xela was a broken woman, crying, begging, apologizing, sobbing, shivering under the horrors of Hilda´s tale. No feeling being should suffer such a fate, but Hilda had, as had millions of others, but that wasn´t the worst part, the worst part was that she, Xela played her part in this as well. She was just like those Tof, a monster, nothing but a cruel monster.

"Hilda, that´s enough." A soft voice called over to them.

Through her tears Xela could see Elena´s blue hair as the colonel leaned in her door.

"How long have you´ve been standing there?" Hilda asked.

"Long enough," Elena said, "it's enough. She has suffered enough for tonight."

Xela felt how Hilda stood up and left the room, without even another word. She remained in a world of her own tears, seeing the faces of slaves she had sold in front of her eyes, the hatred, their silent begging, the desperation. But were they had once been nothing but goods to her they know all stood for a story of their own, a story of suffering and pain. She remembered how she had struck at unruly slaves, sometimes until they began to bleed, and for a moment she started scratching her own hands, as if she could rid herself of the blood like that. As if she could undo what she had done.

"The fallen are a species of hedonists and criminals, using their body produced pheromones to cause suffering and pain across the galaxy. Thus, in conclusion they shall be exterminated to secure the future of humanity."

What? Had Hilda returned to torture her even more? Now also make degrading comments about her species? But it hadn´t been her voice, but Elena´s, and it had been soft.

"My father wrote that, to justify the empires campaign against your people," the colonel continued.

As Xela looked up and saw the colonel sitting at the edge of her bed, looking down at her with a sad expression on her face.

"There was a time when I believed that myself..." For a moment Elena´s gaze seemed to become empty, as if she was looking at something only she could see. "I was a terrible person back then."

Xela whipped the tears from her face as she slowly sat up. This had been the worst day of her life, whatever Elena did to her now, she didn´t care anymore.

"Tell me, Xela, do you believe in redemption?"

Xela laughed bitterly, "mother used to say redemption is for the weak. You do what you do, stand up for it, don´t try to deny it." She swallowed hard, "I´m sorry for what happened to Hilda, the poor girl." Another pause, "she is right, I am a monster, even the man I loved knew that."

"It is true," Elena said. "You are a monster, or at least you were up until today. But your story isn´t over yet. You can still choose to be something else."

"And what? There is nothing left for me..." Xela replied. What did still matter in this cruel galaxy.

"That is for you to decide," Elena said as she stood up, at the door she turned around again. "That is the benefit of being free, we can choose our own path, just as Jace and Kira did today. You can be like your mother... or you can be like me."

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I hope she will get redemption

Anedon likes this.
  11. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well this is SW, isn´t it. ;)

Six

"And what are you in for?" Her cellmate asked her.

"I'm accused of beating up an officer, tying her up and locking her inside a cell," Ulrika replied, trying her best to remain cool. She wasn't sure if she could trust this woman. If she was truly another prisoner or maybe here to spy on her. To coax her into make incriminating statements.

"You... wow," the young woman muttered. "Then you are awaiting your execution?"

Ulrika shivered for a moment, laying on her back on her bed, hoping her cellmate wouldn't notice. Though the tight prison jumpsuit made it hard to hide any movements. "No, I'm awaiting my trial."

"Me too, but trust me. We will both swing from the gallows in no time." The girl said darkly.

For a moment Ulrika felt an invisible rope cutting into her neck, before reminding herself, you won't be hanged. You are a soldier, if found guilty, you will be shot. It was a small comfort, but at least a way of dying with a little bit more dignity than being strung up like a common criminal. "What did you do?" She asked instead, throwing a short glance at her cellmate.

She was young, barely an adult, if even that. With brown curls and green eyes. "I said the truth," she stated firmly.

"Certainly a way to get in trouble," Ulrika replied. "About what?"

"About the Regent. About the crimes he committed." She said. "How he and the government use lies about the Iron Alliance to keep us all shackled to their will."

"They lie about the Iron Alliance?" Ulrika sat up, that was new.

"They claim the Iron Alliance is a bunch of slavers, and that none of us can expect any mercy if they get us... Can you believe that, they claim that about people who just want their freedom from our oppression."

"Wait what?" Ulrika stared at the young woman, unable to believe what her ears had just heard. This couldn't be true....

"The Iron Alliance, they just want to be free, sure they might serve justice against those who are guilty, but we could live under them no problem." The girl said firmly. "It's time people realize that they are our friends."

"I... no." Ulrika said. Her breath going faster. This poor girl was clearly manipulated by the Iron Alliance's propaganda. Believing their lies... because that was that all that was left to her. "I fought the Iron Alliance and..."

"You are one of them?" The girl spat at her and moved back at the corner of her bed. Shaking and clearly afraid. Afraid and angry.

"I am not," Ulrika said, softly as she pulled down the zipper of her jumpsuit to reveal her ORSF tattoo on her stomach. "Colonel Ulrika Grau, ORSF."

"An Eriaduan?" The girls eyes widened. "Then you are even worse!"

Great... another day were my homeworld causes me trouble. There were certainly times were she wished having been born elsewhere, anywhere but on Eriadu. She felt how her temper rose, "who is now the unreasonable one of us. Me, or you judging me on my homeworld alone?"

For a moment the girl just stared at Ulrika, who could almost see her brain working.

"If I were the monster you believe me to be, I could just kill you, here and now." Ulrika said, standing up, towering of her the frightened teen. "But I am not," she said, her expression softening again as she sat down. In a way this girl reminded her of herself, a rebel, but a sometimes misguided rebel.

"You..." the girl muttered, then she lowered her gaze. "I'm sorry. You are right, I shouldn't judge you just on your homeworld, after all, I was born here..." she made a pause, "but what you are saying..."

"It is true," Ulrika said, softly. She took her datapad, the Imperials had left to her so she could prepare for the process, it also contained pictures of Sarne's fortress, the slaves they had liberated there. Her own squad mates in their slave outfits. She handed it to the girl. "This is the truth about the Iron Alliance."

The girl stared at the pictures clearly revolted by what she was seeing, struggling with her own walls of denial. But before she could come to any conclusions the door opened and Captain Laric entered.

"Colonel Grau, it is time." He gave her another salute.

Ulrika returned it, "Captain." She was glad he still gave her these courtesies.

They left the cell and the still reading young woman and quickly moved through the corridors of the administration building. "That girl..." Ulrika asked.

Laric snorted, "just another naïve fool who buys into the propaganda of the Iron Alliance." He shook his head, "they have their agents everywhere, even in our backyards."

"We arrested some on Eriadu as well," Ulrika nodded. "Still she seems more misguided than malicious."

Laric stopped and turned around to her, "she is a traitor, she has fallen for their lies, but that is no excuse."

"But she is just..." Ulrika tried to say but the captain raised a hand.

"You have strong convictions Colonel, and I respect you for that. But whatever you want to say, this girl is a traitor. And just like every traitor she claims that she is justified, that in her specific case she is doing the right thing. But they never are." Laric said harshly as he began moving down the corridor again.

"With all due respect," Ulrika said anger once more raising inside of her. "But this girl is a victim here, she is nothing but a pawn to be used. If you hang her for this..."

"She won't be hanged," Laric said without even turning around. "She can still serve our nation through hard labor, alongside the pirates she holds so dear."

Great, honestly who are the real bad guys here... Ulrika asked herself. But then she got distracted with her own trial. She was glad to allowed to shower and switch into her ORSF uniform.

Laric had left after escorting her to the showers and instead two female guards awaited her and lead her into the courtroom. It was more crowded than she had expected, journalists filling the ranks of spectators. What is going on here? Does this Regent intend for the trial to be a media event? If so, was that good or bad for her? She couldn´t tell. At least it relieved her to see Jaina and Ilona amongst the spectators as well. She wasn't alone.

Cassandra was waiting for her, giving her a quick nod. Ulrika was glad to have a skilled politician like her as a lawyer. "We will get you out of this," Cassandra reassured her.

Ulrika nodded, then she concentrated on the assembly. Duran was sitting on the other side, looking utterly ridiculous in a formal dress rather than her military uniform. But the glare she gave Ulrika was meant to kill. A small, nervous man was sitting next to her, probably her lawyer or a prosecutor.

Meanwhile the judge was old, if not ancient. For a brief moment Ulrika asked herself if he had already been in service of the law before the Empire had risen to power, but looking at him, it had to be true. She wondered, in this long life of service, how many people had he send to the gallows, the firing squad, or a life of forced labor... compared to how many acquittals.

The first two hours of the trial were mostly filled with various legal proceedings. Ulrika was asked to swear an oath to speak only the truth, which she took on her honor as an officer. Then she mostly ignored the talking as she didn't know most of the discussed laws anyway. It wasn't the first time she had been put on trial, there had been a few legal proceedings against her on Eriadu as well, but in those cases she hadn't been required to attend them in person as ORSF lawyers had take care of them.

After the proceedings were done, the old judge stood up. His eyes were milky, like those of Ethan Malek, but just as with Ilona's father his voice was strong. "This is the process of the state against Colonel Ulrika Grau. Colonel Grau, you have been accused of assault and deprivation of liberty, against an officer. What do you plea for?"

"Not guilty, I was acting in defense of an already restrained captive," Ulrika said, before remembering that she needed to leave the talking to Cassandra. Her face slightly red she sat down again.

"Lieutenant Duran, as the main accuser, what do you plead for?"

"Colonel Grau is clearly guilty..." Duran's lawyer said. His voice trembling. "We demand a capital punishment."

Ulrika fought to contain her grin, whoever had been assigned to Duran, he clearly wasn't used to this. That could be an advantage.

"Lieutenant Duran, would you then recount the incident? From your point of view?" The judge asked.

Duran nodded and stood up.

"Leave the questions to me this time," Cassandra whispered to Ulrika. "Don't let her provoke you."

"I have been a part of Captain Victor Laric's squad. We moved out to aid Colonel Grau in rescuing a number of ORSF captives. A highly unconventional mission if I may say so," Duran began.

But before she got any further Cassandra stood up, "just for interest sake, but Colonel Grau, where were these soldiers captured?"

Ulrika stood up, unsure where this was leading, "at the battle of Zerkan."

"The first battle were the ORSF forces aided us, and prevented the planet from falling. Thank you Colonel." Cassandra said, and muttering went through the audience. "Go on Lieutenant."

"Already from the start Colonel Grau was clearly not interested in any cooperation. Instead she proceeded to insult me and several of my fellow soldiers directly, calling us prostitutes for the other soldiers," Duran continued smugly.

Ulrika had to bite her lip not to yell at her. The accusation was, at least on paper true, and she cursed herself for her loose tongue.

"During the battle itself then Colonel Grau's reckless tactics caused us trouble several times. Instead of listening to my advice she proceeded to charge directly into the fighting." Duran continued. "Though we were able to rescue the soldiers. Down there in the dungeons of the fortress."

"Sorry to interrupt, but whose fortress?" Cassandra asked. "According to my information, Colonel Grau lead you into the fortress of Keran Sarne."

Curses flew through the courtroom. As most attendees expressed their hatred of Sarne, the arch traitor as they called him.

"Those information is correct." Duran admitted. "And it was the traitors own children that the Colonel attacked me for. She knocked me out to protect the spawn of that traitor." She sat down with a smug grin, as curses were hurled at Ulrika.

Now Ulrika couldn't control herself anymore, she jumped to her feet, "you mean the children of women he raped?" She realized her mistake, but now it was too late to back down, she had to go all out if she wanted to save the situation. "Ladies and gentlemen, is that where it has come to? To blame a child for their fathers crimes? Are we here in the Empire or in the New Republic? Do we judge people by their deeds or their allegiance?"

The cursing against her died down again, she clearly had hit a nerve. Sitting down again as if nothing happened she gave Cassandra an apologetic glance. But her lawyer just gave her a stern look before standing up. "Whether or not Sarne's children are guilty of a crime or not is irrelevant. They deserved a due trial either way, not mob justice. We are a civilized nation."

Head nodding in the crowd, a few glances of approval. Ulrika felt how rising inside of her, could they actually win this? It currently sure seemed like it, but...

Duran continued her tale, about how Ulrika had cruelly knocked her out, then how she had been tied up and locked into a cell. But nothing she said seemed to help her regain the crowds support. Yet as Ulrika reminded herself, in the end it was the judge who would decide her fate, not the crowd. After all, just as Cassie had said, this wasn´t mob justice. And yet, despite things looking good for her, Ulrika couldn´t help but feel that there was something completely off about this trial.

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    What will happen to Ulrika and the girl?

Anedon likes this.
  13. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    We shall see...

Seven

"Your ID," the guard demanded.

"I am Xela Xuj." Xela introduced herself as she produced her card. Her heart was beating up to her throat, and she had never been so afraid than in this moment. They were actually doing this and despite all of Elena's reassurances she couldn't help but feel this would be the last day of her life. She looked up, at the dark façade of the former Imperial Administration Building of Qaelan. Once this place had been the heart of the Empires oppression of the Southwest, and now the Iron Alliance was using it for a similar purpose.

She hated this place, and always had, rarely accompanying her mother here, only when it had been utterly unavoidable. Some of the worst experiences of her life had happened here, and now it seems as if the worst was still to come. I am a captive, a hostage, forced to take part in the assassination of the century. She could barely stop herself from shaking in her shoes, in the formal dress she wore, as she approached this Rancors den unarmed and with no backup... well almost none.

"This is my bodyguard, Lydia Kirova." She introduced Kinga by her fake name. They had spend the last two days talking about this fake identity, watching footage and reading through reports so Xela would know all there was to know about her. She would never admit it, but she had enjoyed it, because it had allowed her to distract herself from the darkness of her own thoughts, from the guilt that was tormenting her since that fateful night. She had even joined the soldiers on two more water soccer games, just to get something else on her mind and forget her depressions for a moment.

"That Lydia Kirova?" The guard asked and Xela was amazed at just how well the Eriaduan's had created this fake person, that even simple guards in the Iron Alliance knew her.

"One and the same," Kinga stepped forth and pulled back her dress to show the defaced ORSF tattoo on her shoulder.

The guard took a step back, then he fixated Xela again. "How did you get her working for you as a bodyguard?"

Xela gave him a cold look, "that is none of your business. But what is, is the fact that you are keeping us from attending the meeting will become yours if you waste any more of our time." She was glad that her mother had taught her the confidence to deal with guards and checkpoints and once more the teachings paid of as the guard hastily stepped aside and let them through.

The interior of the building gave away only little of its former imperial history. Instead it was filled with all sorts of various luxuries and displays of wealth. Exquisite carpets littered the floors, and expensive furniture covered the walls alongside the corridors. Though with all this, Xela couldn't help but think of the ghost stories she had heard of this building. Some said that the Imperials had conducted cruel experiments in the lower levels, that they had tortured captives and tried to summon demons.

Xela had always laughed at the bare notion of it, its sheer absurdity. Same for the alleged sounds of marching Stormtroopers that could be heard in the corridors, and the clanking of AT-AT walkers from outside. Some even claimed to have seen the shadows of the buildings former occupants moving across the walls as if they were still here.

Children's stories but interesting enough that she had been able to get even Hilda to break her scowl for a moment and actually listen to her words, when she had told the officers about it.

Yet as much as Xela had laughed about these stories until now, today, at probably her last eve she couldn't help but feel there was some truth to them. Maybe she and Kinga would even join the macabre parade of ghosts later if they... she shook her head to clear her mind as they entered their destination. A large fancy room on the second floor.

Filled by a large banquet table with several slaves already preparing it. They were amongst the first to arrive, which meant that so far their plan was going along as intended.

"Xela, it is such a treat to see you again." A voice called over to them.

Turning around Xela saw a heavily scarred old Pantoran woman approach them. Even know she wore a casual leather outfit. Her gruff appearance standing in stark contrast to the luxury displayed all over the building.

"Lassa Rhayme, you look as beautiful as always." She tried her best to fake a smile as her heart began to race. This was it, the first real hurdle of the eve. At least she couldn't see Her anywhere. What is she doing here?

"Can only return the compliment," Lassa grinned. "And you are here in time for once, where you so excited to see me again?"

"In part," Xela replied. "But it might also have to do with my new bodyguard." She made a gesture for Kinga to step forth. "Lassa, this is the famed Lydia Kirova. Lydia, this is Lassa Rhayme, leader of the Bloodborn Order."

Lassa's eyes widened for a moment, than a smile grew on her face as she extended her hand. "Lydia Kirova, your reputation truly precedes you. I am honored to welcome the bane of the ORSF on my table tonight."

"A pleasure my lady," Kinga replied. "But my reputation can barely own up to yours. It's an honor to meet you."

"I didn't knew you were in the slavery business." Lassa said raising an eyebrow at Kinga, while disgust crossed her face.

Xela froze, this wasn't good, "I could ask you the same." She quickly said. Lassa was an old rival of her mother, who occasionally had worked for the Iron Alliance in the past. And Xora had rarely missed an opportunity to mock Lassa for her perceived 'morals'. "Done pretending you have a principles?"

"We go where the money leads us." A dark voice called out and Xela froze, she was here.

The other woman, Lassa's bodyguard and rumored lover approached them. Her skin was pale, almost like that of a corpse. Her short hair was sliver as well, complimenting her ice blue eyes. Xora had once told her daughter that in all the decades she had known Narec, her she barely seemed to have aged a day. As ageless as death, and just as frightening as without even saying much her presence already overshadowed that of her boss by far.
    Xela had never understood why this woman was content with playing the second fiddle to a measly pirate captain such as Lassa. She could have easily formed her own crew or taken over one for herself. And yet she remained loyal to Lassa, a pale shadow behind the Pantoran.

Xela lowered her head, now unable to hide her shaking anymore. Why were these two here? Why today? Before they had arrived she could have at least hoped of getting out after the assassination, but now? She was dead, this was the end of her life. She allowed herself a weird grin by the thought of how her mother would react to this.

"Lydia, this is Kani Narec. Second in Command of the Bloodborn Order." Lassa introduced her bodyguard to Kinga.

"A pleasure," Kinga muttered, and Xela realized that even the hardnosed ORSF soldier was clearly thrown off by this woman. Not that she could blame her. There were many stories about Narec. Some said she hailed from the mystic world of Dathomir, while others claimed she had been a Jedi or maybe she had become a warlord on Rattatak as a teenager, others maintained that she had been Count Dooku's right hand woman and had slaughtered hundreds of Jedi during the Clone Wars, that she had been the greatest bounty hunter the galaxy ever saw until she had retired for that line of work because it eventually just bored her. She had been reported dead countless times, fought Darth Vader to a standstill, had shared a bed with every important figure of recent galactic history. Had aided Luke Skywalker infiltrate Darth Vader's private fortress and slay the Emperor's son. And countless stories more...

She was a legend, no doubt about that and many had tried to recruit her into their services over the years. Yet she had rebuffed them all and instead decided to serve in the small Blood Born Order and follow Lassa Rhayme around. In many ways being the main reason the Pantoran´s small band of pirates gained any attention at all. And wherever she showed up, hell was guaranteed to break loose.
    Xela felt how she began to sweat, a part of her just wanted to spill the beans, to just admit who 'Lydia' really was and sell out the other ORSF soldiers, in the hopes that maybe, just maybe that display of loyalty to the Iron Alliance would save her life. But she was shivering far too much to even open her mouth, she could feel how Narec's cold eyes met hers. It was almost as if the woman was looking directly into her soul, and would seek out any and all secrets hidden there. As if she was peeking right into Xela´s mind.

"And here you are," a jovial voice called over to them and the pressure on Xela's mind vanished.

Several people entered the room. A series of guards came first, then behind them, on a repulsor driven dais came the lesser of their two targets tonight. Xela had always considered Hutt's disgusting creatures, but even amongst their kind Shina Aovas Boocha was considered a monster. Her fattened maggot like body was covered in rings and piercings. As was her giant, slug like tongue that lazily moved across chin. Her eyes where yellow and filled with purple veins, signs of her strong drug abuse. Behind her followed her personal slaves, two young human males, both barely adults, their bodies as pierced as that of their mistress and Xela shivered as Hilda´s stories returned to her mind. Now with her walls of denial broken she felt tears filling her eyes. Tears of pity and self hatred. It was in this moment, that she understood, that she realized why Kinga had agreed to this suicide mission.

As disgusting as Shina was, that brilliant was her mind. She was the best strategist of the Iron Alliance. She, the fat slug who had never even seen a battlefield herself, had been the one to score the most important victories of the Iron Alliance. She had been the one to come up with the plans to conquer the Imperial Strongholds, including Qaelan after many other warlords had failed at the same task. She had been the one in command during the war with the Kathol Republic, a war that had broken the once so proud nation and reduced them to a tributary of the Iron Alliance.

Xela instantly threw herself to the ground, pressing her forehead onto the rich carpet as the ruler of Qaelan entered the room. She was glad that Kinga instantly followed her example, and even Lassa and Narec did.

"Rise my sisters." The Hutt said in her jovial voice. "We are all in the same boat."

Standing up again Xela noticed how her legs had stopped to shake and thanked the gods for it.

Shina had been ruling Qaelan for decades now, only listening to the Iron Lord and her own conscience but since the former largely left her alone and the latter was nonexistent there was little that spared the legions of slaves from her desires. Even Xora had nothing but feared her ruler, her power was absolute on this world.

Xela asked herself why Shina never had tried to become Iron Lady herself but it seemed that the slug was happy right where she was, living in luxury and leeching of whoever was in charge, but if she was here now than...

"Good evening," a soft, quiet voice followed behind Shina and her court as another being entered. Clad in a master crafted armor of grey durasteel the guest seemed to subvert every cliche about the Neimodian Species. His figure was muscular, his eyes sharp and piercing and his stern face gave away nothing of the cowardice his species was usually known for. This man was a warrior, more than a warrior, a leader, a rule, a tyrant. The Iron Lord, master of the Southwest and Ruler of the Iron Alliance slowly stepped inside of the room, moving slowly and with all the dignity Shina so utterly lacked. "I thank each of you for coming." He said and a weak smile appeared on his face. "We still await a few more guests and I think it would be improper to start the dinner before they arrived, don't you think." His voice was so soft Xela had expected it more to come out of the mouth of a lover, and not a Warlord like him. But the authority in it was absolute and so Xela lowered her head just as everyone else did, as their prime target slowly walked over to the large table.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Trouble for Xela and Hilda. I hope they will get away alive

Anedon likes this.
  15. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Xela and Kinga you mean?

Eight

Lassa Rhayme let her eyes wander across the being assembled at the dinner table. Several high ranking leaders and warlords of the Iron Alliance where here, but she also noticed that several of the biggest names were absent. Still it was enough of them, enough to make this count...

"The war isn't going to our advantage lately," Draven, a yellow skinned Twi'lek with a prosthetic Lekku said. Lassa knew him well, as she herself was the cause of the prosthetic. She had almost managed to take his head off completely but turning away at the last second had saved his life. Maybe next time...

Shina let out a chuckle, "afraid, my dear Draven? Don't worry, mommy will have you covered." She let her tongue run over her broken pierced lips and Lassa shivered in disgust.

The Leader of the Blood Bone Order hated nearly everyone at this table, and the feeling was mutual. But Shina, she was a category all by herself in repulsiveness. Lassa had heard the stories about how she treated her slaves, the abuses the poor young men went through. It was one of the reasons she had ultimately decided to come here one of the reasons even Asajj had agreed to come with her.

"I at least don't close my eyes from reality," Draven shot back. "Xavius? Sarne? That woman Ulrika Grau, she has killed more of our leaders than everyone else in the last decades."

Lydia, the Eriaduan deserter let out a grunt of disgust. "Ulrika Grau? She was a troublemaker at the academy, spending more time sweeping the floors than anything. She is troubling you?"

"So you say you can take her down?" Shina asked. "Be the noble knight that saves me fair damsel from a cruel death at her hands."

"If that's what you want me to be," Lydia grinned and playfully inclined her head towards the disgusting Hutt.

She was the big unknown, the factor that worried Lassa. The pirate leader had heard the stories about the Eriaduan deserter. Had seen the holonet coverage of her rampages. This woman was, in some ways at least, more dangerous than anyone else at the table, save for Asajj of course. But most of all she was an enigma. No one knew her true motives, her hideouts and tactics. She and her crew worked alone and rarely contacted other pirates.

Her being here was the reason Lassa had decided to hold of her plan for a moment, to take a bit of time to assess the situation before she would make her move. This was too important than to risk ruining everything by acting too fast.

She gave Asajj a look, and her friend replied with a shrug. Something was off, and Lassa didn´t like this one bit. Why did this famed outlaw of the Southwest needed to have chosen this eve to pledge her services to the Iron Alliance? Any other date would have been fine and not screwed up...

"Ulrika Grau is just a single woman," the soft voice of the Iron Lord instantly shut down all the chatter at the table. "And while she has caused us a lot of trouble, in some ways the biggest problem is the symbol she has become..." he made a pause during which utter silence filled the room. "The pictures of her saving the slaves of Sarne. They have made waves around the holonet, even beyond the Southwest. She is has grown to something far beyond her own meager existence. If we kill her now, all we create is a martyr someone for even more supporters to rally around a Legacy to emulate for many and to worship for even more."

"Then what do you suggest?" Lassa asked, wanting to participate in the conversation to test reactions across the table. "Do you think this trial will take care of the problem for us?" She had watched some of the coverage on the holonet, she wondered if Ulrika Grau even knew what a celebrity she had become in the last few weeks.

"Don't be naïve," Shina chuckled. "This trial is nothing but a joke, crafted to get her even more attention and supporters."

"Things are already in motion," the Iron Lord said. "I am confident that we won't have to worry over Ulrika Grau again in a few days. Even if it means sacrificing a useful asset. The great heroine of the southwest, stabbed in the back by someone she considered a friend. It will be the end of that pathetic coalition. Eriadu will be forced to make peace with a new deal, and afterwards we will finally do away with the remnants of the Empire."

The confidence in his voice alone worried Lassa, and she wasn't the only one as the creaking of glass echoed across the room for a moment. As she looked up she saw that Lydia has crushed her cup. Soon all eyes were on the dark skinned beauty.

"I am sorry," she excused herself. "It's just, I am wondering why I even came here. If things are already under control. Seems you don't need my skills after all." She crossed her arms in front of her chest, giving the Falleen woman next to her a disapproving look.

Xela looked so utterly miserable that Lassa almost felt some pity for her. She was a small fish compared to the others at the table, just the daughter of a moderately successful slaver. A nobody, but holding the services of a woman like Lydia Kirova had made her a somebody.

"They are up to something," Asajj muttered into Lassa's ear as everyone else's attention was directed towards Lydia and Xela.

In the nearly six decades they were now working together Lassa had learned to trust Asajj's instincts more than anything else in the galaxy. The Force was strong in her friend, and her skills both in and out of combat made her the best ally a pirate could have. It had been shortly after the end of the Clone Wars since the two had met, Asajj had been a bounty hunter, just trying to make a living. Lassa and her crew had found her, almost dead amongst the wreckage of a battle. They had nursed her back to health and in the coming months they had worked together a few times. Eventually Ventress had even helped Lassa track down her traitorous former lover. Afterwards Lassa had offered her to fully join the Blood Bone Order and, after some deliberation Asajj had accepted.

"You think they are planning to...?" Lassa muttered back.

"I am almost certain," Asajj replied. "The Falleen is nearly wetting herself in fear, while that supposed deserter is just playing the tough girl."

Since that day she and Ventress had shared everything, their past, present and future, beds, allies and enemies, as well as the leadership of the Blood Bone Order. They had traveled the entire galaxy and seen wonders and terrors beyond imagining. Had fought people from every species and every nation. Helped the Rebellion against the Empire, allied with Gaven Seral and the Terian´s against the Hutt´s, had helped in the fight against the Vong, they had taken the queen of Naboo for ransom and pillaged her giant dress collection. It had been long and good six decades, filled with adventures and troubles, victories and defeats. Now they were both over ninety, and in contrast to Ventress who barely looked a day older than when they had first met, Lassa felt her age in every part of her body. Sometimes she wished to have her friends blood and connection to the force that had granted her this nearly eternal youth. But she had long since made her peace with this fact. Had even made peace with the fact that this would be her final adventure.

"You still want to?" Asajj asked, over Xela desperately trying to get out a coherent sentence.

"Yes," Lassa said firmly. "I made my decision."

In her long life she had done many things she wasn't proud of. She had always treated her crew fairly and done her utmost to avoid causalities on her raids, relying on a fearsome reputation to get her targets to surrender instead and often stolen from those who deserved it. But... she had killed people, destroyed lives. And even though she would completely deny it to anyone except her closest confidants, it weighted on her, especially now in her old age. And so in the last few years she had aided the Southwestern Liberation Front, had despite her utter hatred for slavery begun to work for the Iron Alliance to spy on them, to help disrupt their operations. And now it had lead her here, to this suicide mission, and the blaster concealed in her clothing. With a mind trick Asajj had been able to get them past the guards with it, and likewise managed to get her lightsaber in.

Lassa knew that there was no coming back from this, the chances to get out where slim, especially for her. Asajj might have a chance given her skills. But she had decided to do this. A coalition had finally formed against the Iron Alliance and they could use any help they could get. And so Lassa Rhayme had made the decision to lay down her life for it. To atone for her life of sin by sacrificing her life by taking down some of the most notorious slavers of the galaxy. It was a good way to deal and would, without a doubt only help her already fearsome reputation.

At first she had been unwilling to bring Ventress with her on this one way trip, but her friend, whose hatred for slavery easily topped even Lassa's had insisted to come along. They had said their farewells to the other members of the Blood Bone Order who had elected a new leader and then left the planet. This was it, her end, going out in a blaze of glory. Still Lassa couldn't help but smile at the irony, of her, a feared pirate dying for an noble cause. She wondered if even the Eriaduan's would honor her sacrifice in some way or another. Probably not, she was a nonhuman, but that didn't matter to her. She had a good life and now she was ready for it to end. There was just one thing that needed to happen first, one last hurdle before...

"Enough of this." Shina said after a while. "I think we should get eating before we all starve to death." She clapped her giant hands together. "Get us the dinner." She ordered her slaves who hastily bowed and left the room.

That was it, the final puzzle piece Lassa had been waiting for. Now that the innocents where out of the way she readied herself, her hand moving towards the blaster under her jacket, itching closer and closer, than tightening herself around the hilt. She exchanged a quick glance with Asajj who nodded. Then her eyes returned to Lydia, the Eriaduan woman was the greatest danger here, if she was truly this amazing fighter the news coverage made her out to be she might be the one person in the room able to stop them. The one person who could potentially save the Iron Lord and his cronies from their more than deserved fate.

Lassa took a deep breath and send a final, quiet prayer to the moon goddess, before taking a final sip of the Tevraki Whiskey in front of her. Then she got up, and began to pull the blaster from her jacket.

Keeping her eye on Lydia she never saw the explosion that went of beneath the table and turned the whole room into an inferno...

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    O my things are getting ugly for Lassa and her friends

Anedon likes this.
  17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Indeed....

Nine

Kinga´s head was ringning and everything hurt. Opening her eyes she saw just darkness, fire and smoke. The sound of scream echoed through her mind, as she slowly began getting up amongst the broken wreckage of her chair. Her eyes began to adjust to the darkness around her, her mothers blood allowing her to see in a darkness that would utterly blind a human. She fingered through her pockets to search for a weapon, but of course, she hadn't been able to smuggle anything inside.

Where by the stars did that explosion come from? And what damage had it caused? The good news was that now that her battlefield instincts had awoken, and the sheer fear and near panic she had felt up until the explosion was gone. Now she was ready to fight and her fear was gone.

Hearing a whimpering next to her she saw Xela, curled up like and infant but as it looked not terribly wounded. Of course bad weed grows tall. She thought, not wanting to waste too much time on her while danger was afoot she quickly moved a bit deeper into the darkness.

"Please, help me... no... no please!"

She heard a pulsing of energy nearby, one she had last heard around Darek and his... A yellow blade of pure energy appeared in the darkness and then the screaming stopped. As Kinga came closer she saw Lassa's companion. Kina, when she remembered correctly holding a glowing lightsaber in her hands, standing atop the beheaded corpse of one of the warlords. The Kage woman's eyes starring up blankly at her killer, her mouth still showing the remnants of her final, desperate but futile plea for mercy.

The lightsaber woman turned towards KInga and raised her blade.

"Wait!" Kinga yelled. "I am on your side!"

A mocking grin appeared on the woman's bone like skin. "Is that so?"

Kinga wasn't sure of that at all but this woman was clearly no friend of the Iron Alliance it seemed. Had she come for the same reason? "Was that your bomb?" She asked instead.

The pale woman stepped closer to her. "No, I thought it might have been yours." She lowered her blade by an inch, but clearly kept it ready to strike.

"No..." Kinga said, pulling out a small vial from her clothes and holding it up. "We had a different plan."

A weak grin appeared on Kina's face. "Poison. A weapon of cowards they say."

Kinga couldn't argue with that. Yet this plan had at least opened them an avenue of escape. It was a slow working poison, and the Iron Lord and the others would have only stared feeling sick after hours, and it would take even longer to kill them. Enough time to get out of dodge, but their hopes for a quick and save assassinations where quashed now. She wondered who had placed the bomb here, had there been three separate plans to assassinate the Iron Lord and his cronies? But that was a question they needed to answer later, if they were even a alive them.

She took a deep breath and approached the woman with the lightsaber. "So, I don't know what your game is in this... but we have a common enemy, and a common goal if we both want to survive this night."

"My game lies there..." the woman said with sadness in her voice and pointed across the room. There on top the remains of a broke table lie the lifeless remains of Lassa Rhayme, a shard of metal impaled in her chest. "I told her this was madness, but she wanted to die in a blaze of glory rather than coughing in her bed." She shook her head.

"I am sorry for your loss." Kinga said sympathetically. Then she took another deep breath, if they wanted to survive this they needed to trust each other. "Listen, my name isn´t Lydia, and I am no ORSF deserter. I'm Kinga, and I am fighting the Iron Alliance. I have a safe house on this world."

The woman raised a snowy white eyebrow showing off her long eyelashes. "You have... well its better than nothing. I am Asajj, Asajj Ventress."

Kinga believed she had heard that name before but couldn't place it. Maybe in a movie? It probably didn't matter.

"Okay, Asajj then I guess we should...."

"Kinga!" Xela's voice called over to her and Kinga spin around. She stared right into a blaster, held by a yellow skinned Twi'lek with a broken prosthetic Lekku.

Pulling the trigger before anyone could react his shoot missed its target as Xela grabbed him from behind. The shot impacted the ceiling, but the Twi'lek, Draven if Kinga remembered correctly continued to shoot. One of the flailing bolts hit Xela who screamed and let go of him. But before he could resume his attacks, Kinga kicked the blaster out of his hands, and only a second later Asajj´s lightsaber cut his head from his shoulder.

"That was for you Lassa," she Asajj muttered.

Kinga grabbed the fallen blaster before stepping closer towards Xela. The young Falleen was clutching her shoulder. Not a deadly wound, but painful nonetheless. Looking around she heard a banging against the main door of the banquet room, it seemed that whoever had placed the bomb here had also locked the doors to prevent a quick escape. So whoever they are, they were not in the room when it went of. But who had been? She looked around and couldn´t see any other survivors besides herself, Asajj and Xela. The corpses of several warlords littered the room, some showing clear signs of lightsaber strikes, but it took her a moment to find Shina. The Hutt was everywhere. She must have been at the center of the explosion as bits of her flesh where littered all over the tables. Kinga felt how her stomach turned, made even worse by the stench of burned flesh in her nostrils, then she couldn't control herself any longer, broke too her knees and vomited straight onto the floor.

"Where is the Iron Lord?" Asajj asked her after Kinga got back onto her feet.

Kinga looked around, but couldn't make out the armored figure anywhere... had his armor protected him? But then where had he? "Doesn't matter now. He is not here, and we need to leave." She looked at Xela who was moaning in pain.

"What about her?" Asajj asked. "She is a slaver isn't she?"

"She was," Kinga said. A part of her, a vengeful part wanted to just leave Xela behind, or better kill her first so she couldn´t rat them out. She remembered the day she had first met the young Falleen, on the slave market, right outside this building. She had profited from untold amounts of misery, and deserved to die for her crimes....

"...but she took that shot for me. And at least tried to help us. She may be a cowardly rat... but I can't leave her behind." She knelt down and slung her arm around Xela's unwounded shoulder helping her back to her feet.

Hearing a commotion at the door Asajj quickly hid her lightsaber again and stepped next to them. The door opened and several armed guard entered followed by several of the slaves send out just a few minutes ago. Screams filled the room.

"Out of the way, she is wounded!" Kinga yelled as she and Xela made their way through the first group of them. She saw how Asajj waved her hand and said something about a bomb and how they needed to the sickbay quickly. No one stopped them, but as she left the room Kinga was almost certain to have noticed a small smile on the face of one of Shina's slaves as he took in the remains of his mistress.

They moved quickly through the corridor, the wounded Xela giving them a handy excuse to avoid being questioned too much. Kinga felt her heart raise a bit, could this actually work? Could they survive this night?

They moved down a staircase and Kinga noticed a small emergency kit on one of the walls and told Asajj to get it as she sat down Xela on the steps. The young Falleen was almost pale, clutching her shoulder, tears running over her face. Kinga took a patch of bacta and gently placed it on the wound, then she gave Xela a painkilling pill, which she took without resistance.

"We need to get out of here." Asajj reminded them and Kinga nodded.

"Wait, the sever room." Xela muttered as she whipped the tears from her eyes.

"What?" Asajj took a step closer towards her.

"With all this commotion, we might have a chance to get to their servers." Xela said, breathing heavily. "It contains the codes for all the slave chips in service of Shina...."

Kinga remembered from the briefing that a huge amount of the slaves on Qaelan were direct property of its ruler. Hundred thousands of slaves who worked in the factories to produce weapons for the Iron Alliance. "With these codes..." she said asserting the situation.

"...one could deactivate them all." Asajj concluded. "But it's risky."

"You don't have to come with me." Kinga said. "Just get Xela to the speeder bay." She pulled Xela's keycard from her belt. "Would be nice if you wait for me at least though."

"No..." Asajj shook her head. "Lassa was a naïve fool but I owe her this much. Besides, if you bust in there guns blazing they will notice something is off and change the codes. I have my ways of getting them without being noticed."

Kinga gave her a nod, "okay. I get Xela to the speeders, we will wait for you." But as she turned around Asajj had already left.

"What the..." she muttered. "Is she a shadow or something?"

The way to the speeder bay was easier than Kinga had feared as nobody took much notice of them. At the speeders she helped Xela to lay down on the back seats, while sitting down in the driver's seat herself. A part of her just wanted to make a run for it, as she wasn't even sure if she could trust this Asajj Ventress, but an ally was an ally.

"Thanks," Xela muttered. "For not leaving me behind."

Kinga turned around to her, "hey, we are all in this together. And you saved my butt as well."

Xela gave her a weak smile, as she leaned back in the leathers.

The wait seemed endless, even if her chrono told Kinga that only five minutes had passed when Asajj showed up again, slowly and casually walking towards them to not cause any more attention. She sat down next to Kinga on the front seat and handed her a data chip. "I wasn't sure if you would still be here."

"I don't leave my allies behind." Kinga assured her.

Asajj chuckled. "So honorable... Reminds me of someone I knew a long time ago."

Suddenly a squad of guards entered the speeder bay and sprinted towards them. "Hey you! Stop right there."

"Screw it," Kinga yelled as she planted her heel on the accelerator. The speeder shot out of the parking place and towards the exit. The large metal gate of the bay began to close itself, quickly, too quickly. "No no no no," Kinga muttered as they moved closer and closer. She drove as fast as she could but the laws of science were against her here. The speeder wouldn´t....

Then the gates stopped closing and instead began to creak terribly, as if something was holding them open. A quick glance to her side showed Kinga that Asajj had closed her eye and raised both of her hands. Then in the next moment the speeder shot through the small space between the gates, which instantly shut behind them. "That was amazing!" Kinga cheered as the speeder moved quickly across the streets of Qaelan.

"You can thank me on your knees later, we are not out of it yet," Asajj said, as she opened the door on her side and then, with a inhuman jump pulled herself on top of the Speeders roof. "I will cover you."

"I see two speeders behind us." Xela said, leaning over the backseats to look onto the dark streets. Kinga handed her the blaster she had taken from Draven.

"Use that if you can." She said, then she focused on the road ahead. Blaster fire hit the speeder and Xela did her best to return it. In the rearview mirror Kinga could see how one of the enemy speeders suddenly lost its course and slammed into the wall of a building, disappearing into a fiery explosion. "Those Force powers are really nice, got to admit that." she muttered a she took a sharp turn to the right, worried for a moment that it would throw Asajj of the roof but it seemed their new friend was used to that kind of maneuver.

Her blood was pumping and she felt more alive than she had been in a long time. Grinning as she took another sharp turn she thanked her mother for her faster than human reflexes that made this high speed chase survivable.

The other speeder was more sensible it seemed as its driver kept a certain distance to evade Asajj's force attacks, as they followed them through the nightly city, between the large factories where slaves toiled even at this late an hour. Some passerby's starring after the two speeders in this chase. Then Kinga had an idea, and she instantly executed it as she went of the acceleration and instantly stopped the speeder. The impact threw her headfirst onto the controls, she felt how her nose broke before the airbag was activated and heard Xela scream as she was thrown again the front seats.

But her screams where quickly drowned out as the following speeder had reached them and the sound of Asajj's lightsaber filled the air. As did the screams of the guards following them. It was over in under a minute. Kinga opened her door and climbed out of the speeder, blood running all over her face. She was now bruised, Xela did the same. "Next time warn me before such a maneuver okay..." The Falleen muttered.

Asajj approached them. "Best take their speeder now. This one is too conspicuous." She pointed at Xela's.

"Agreed." Kinga nodded. Together they quickly moved the dead guards into Xela's speeder before using thermal detonator on it to hide their tracks as good as they could.

Kinga was unsure if she could ever tell how they had managed the rest of the way back to Xela's mansion, only that it had been nearly two hours through the least trafficked streets of Qaelan until they finally reached their safe house.

"Kinga!" Cari pulled her friend into a tight hug, that released a swarm of butterflies into Kinga's stomach. "We heard of the explosion and worried..."

"I am here, we are okay..." Kinga said as Katia and Anela gave her a hug as well. "We have survived. And taken down at least some of our targets." She turned around and saw Xela and Asajj climb out of the speeder. "Found a new friend, this is Asajj Ventress."

"I knew I could count on you Kinga." Elena said as she was the fourth to hug Kinga. "But I didn't expect you to bring Count Dooku's right hand woman right here to our safe house."

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    They escaped. Exciting action and now with a new friend

Anedon likes this.
  19. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks glad it worked. :)

Ten

"Ready for this?" Cassandra whispered to Ulrika. This was it, the final day of the trial, now that all was said and done all they could do was await the decision of the judge who had just entered the courtroom again.

Ulrika's heart was beating up to her throat and her hands were shaking rarely in her life had she been so afraid. It was absurd, given all the dangers she had faced in her life. But in battle, fighting an enemy head on she had always been able to struggle for her life, to fight tooth and nail if need be, to stay alive. Here, now, her life was completely outside her control, left to the decision of this judge, jury and, if it came to it, executioner.

She had presented her case as good as best she could, and her feeling was that she had done what was necessary. And Cassandra had told her there was no way she would lose the trial. But still... this wasn't a fair trial; it was the Empire after all. Ulrika remembered all the stories she had read as a child, about the mock trials the Empire had held against their enemies, trials where the verdict had been set before they even begun.

"Ladies and gentlemen, your honors," the Judge began, talking slowly.

Ulrika felt how her stomach twisted as she stood up. She felt sick, beyond sick. She remembered the story of Magdalena Grau, the foundation of her house. A family build on corpses... Her breathing began to race, faster and faster. As she could barely contain herself from just screaming at the old man to tell her what her fate would be.

"On the matter of the Galactic Empire against Ulrika Grau this Court determined the accused to be... innocent..."

Ulrika didn't hear the judged next words as she had thrown herself at Cassandra, wrapping her arms tightly around her body while giving her a quick kiss on the lips in excitement. "We did it Cass! We did it! You are the best!" She cheered, not caring at how she must look.

Cassandra's face turned red as she awkwardly returned the hug, but she gave Ulrika smile. "You were innocent, of course you would make it."

It was only now that Ulrika realized that she wasn't the only one cheering. Ilona had jumped from her seat above them and had embraced Jaina in a decidedly unladylike hug. Clearly she had been relieved by this outcome just as much as Ulrika herself had. And as she looked further Ulrika believed to see the merest, faintest hint of a smile on Laric's face as well.

Only one person in the entire court showed no overt emotions, Sarah Duran looked at Ulrika stoically, but there was pure hatred in her gaze.

Ulrika couldn't help it as she turned towards the lieutenant and stuck out her tongue at her, disregarding the proper behavior for a moment as she added, "kiss my innocent butt you kriffing shutta!"

"Ulrika..." Cassandra said quietly, sounding like an exasperated parent.

"I... I'm sorry..." Ulrika gave her an excusing smile. She hoped the cheering in the courtroom had helped distract people from her outburst. If not... well she was Ulrika Grau, people would talk anyway.

She turned back to the judge who now continued. "Colonel Grau has acted within proper soldierly conduct. There is nothing our state can hold against her and she will be compensated for the demands of the trial. Meanwhile the High Command will determine if Lieutenant Duran made herself guilty of misconduct with her accusations."

This time Ulrika kept her cool and decided to give Duran nothing but her smuggest possible grin. The Imperial Woman kept her stoic face, not even giving Ulrika another glance.

"Congratulations Colonel, I knew you would do it," Jaina gave Ulrika a smile as they shook hands.

"Just call me Ulrika," the blonde woman grinned. "Besides, Colonel won't be my rank for long anymore..." she remembered the conversation she had held with Admiral Caer before coming here. Then everything had sounded so unreal, so far away that she had barely been able to properly think about it, but now? Now she was able to receive the promotion that had seemed utterly impossible to her for so long... Rear Admiral Ulrika Grau, she almost couldn´t believe it herself. It had been a stupid joke all those years ago. The combination of a lost bet with Elena and her desire to achieve a higher rank than Ilona she had even applied for the rank...

The same Ilona who now pulled her into a tight hug. "Glad you made it through."

"So much for wanting so see behind bars huh?" Ulrika joked as she returned her friend’s hug.

"Hah, only when I'm the one to put you there," Ilona shot back. "And don't let that promotion go to your head, I can still kick your butt whenever I want..."

"That sounds like a challenge, ambassador Malek..."

"Colonel Grau," Laric called out to her and Ulrika turned around to him. Cassandra now stood next to him and the two gave her a stern glance. "A word, if we may. Ambassador Malek should hear it too."

"No problem, I find something to distract myself until you are back." Jaina gave them a twinkle before heading down the stairs of the court building and towards the main plaza.

"What is it?" Ulrika asked, worried that things weren't over yet after all.

"Not here," Laric said.

He led them through several streets close to the administration building. Even here, on its capital world the buildings were simple, functional in the imperial style, but their condition clearly showed where the budget had gone for the last four decades. Laric stopped in front of a large apartment building and lead them inside with his keycard. The inside looked a bit better than the outside, if only barely. Graffiti covered the naked concrete walls and as they entered the lift Ulrika could smell the stench of machine oil. She wondered why they had come to a place like this, but for now decided to keep her mouth shut and allow Laric to take the lead. She trusted him enough for that.

The corridor they walked through afterwards was at least clean enough to not be utterly disgusting and as Laric used his keycard again they entered a small apartment that indeed deserved the connotation. The walls were covered by wallpapers and the floor was covered with a smile laminate.

"Victor, there you are," a voice called over to them. And a woman stepped through a curtain made of pearls. She was old, her hair grey in some bits even white as she wore it in a tight ponytail. Wearing a comfortable pink jumpsuit and slippers. Even though age certainly had taken a toll on her she still moved gracefully. As she saw Ulrika standing next to Laric she smiled. "Did you finally find a girlfriend?"

Ulrika knew that Laric was utterly asexual, but the situation was just too good to pass up, so she laid an arm around the captain’s shoulder and gave him a loving look. "Yeah, sweetie wanted to finally introduce me to you..."

She had to give Laric credit for he kept his face stoic even now. Just raised an eyebrow as he said, "she agreed to keep track of your household chores from now on. I know you need someone to take care of your dirty laundry forever."

"You made a joke?" Cassandra said, barely being able to get the words out as she held her belly laughing. "Call everyone, Victor Laric made a joke!"

The older woman stepped closer to them and ran a hand through her son's hair. "Relax Victor, I know you aren't into this sort of thing. But your friend... I saw her on the holonet."

"The process?" Ulrika asked.

"Even before, you face has been all over it. The liberator they call you."

Ulrika knew that ORSF was using her last victories against the Iron Alliance for propaganda, but that others did as well surprise her.

"That is part of why we are here." Laric said. "Here we can talk in private."

He opened a door and as Ulrika stepped over the threshold, she couldn´t help but grin. The room was that of a teenage boy. The bed was well made but looked like no one had slept there in a long time.

Rows of holobooks covered one of the walls, surrounding a gaming console. While a holographic poster of a band covered another.

"Sugaan Essena?" Ilona asked. "Seems we have a similar taste in music."

"Should I know them?" Ulrika asked curiously.

"They don't have at enough half naked women dancing in their videos for you to be interested," her friend teased her.

Laric sat down on the bed, his bed. It must have been. And looking through the room Ulrika's smile faded as she realized at how young an age the captain must have been forced to leave this life behind.

He was a child soldier; now wonder he is so experienced.

It was unfair and Ulrika felt how tears started to form in her eyes. Laric was, in his own way, a friend of hers. And he surely didnt deserve this. "I am sorry," she just said.

Laric who clearly had guessed her train of thought shrugged, "I am where I need to be. There is no point in crying over what could have been." For a moment his eyes flickered over to a picture on his night desk, the picture of a man in an imperial officer’s uniform. "My father," he quickly explained. "He served on the Executor; he fell in the battle of Endor."

"I am sorry," Ulrika said again and Laric gave her a nod.

"So it's now then that you will tell us about the show you two pulled out there?" Ilona asked firmly, leaning against the wall next to the window.

"Show?" Ulrika asked.

"This whole trial was a farce," Ilona continued. "Which is why I was expecting Ulrika to lose, but she didn't... You two set this up so Ulrika would look good, and with her the pro war faction."

"Yes," Cassandra said bluntly. "Duran's accusation would have never made it to the jury if we didn't help it a bit."

Ulrika took a step closer to her, "so this was all your idea?"

"You might not know it Colonel," Laric said, "but you have become the face of this war. You killed Xavius, you brought down Keran Sarne and free thousands of slaves. You are becoming a legend, not just on Eriadu or even the Southwest. You are in galactic news, and reporters from all over the galaxy were here to observe your trial."

Ulrika let out a disbelieving chuckle. "But... I am not some kind of heroine. I just did my duty."

"So did Wedge Antilles, Adalia Durron and Arien Redan," Cassandra said. "Still, they became legends, made larger than life figures. It's the same with you, whether you want it or not."

"Me a legend? Great, at least it sounds better than notorious troublemaker..." she allowed herself a grin. "Guess my days of infiltration are over with that."

"Hey, better it's you than me," Ilona gave her friend a friendly punch on the arm. "I would probably bore people to death if I'm ever asked to give a speech."

"Does Duran know of this?" Ulrika asked.

"No," Laric shook his head. "And she would be even more upset when she knew she was played by us. I hope we can fix the rift with her in time, she is a good soldier."

"I will make sure she is not put in front of a disciplinary hearing," Cassandra added.

Ulrika gave her a nod, "Duran is a stick in the mud, but she doesn´t deserve having her life destroyed over this."

"If that was the price to get us the public support, we need I would gladly pay it." Laric said darkly.

Once more Ulrika couldn´t help but agree with Laric's assessment, as cold as it was. "Still, I hope it doesn't come to it."

"It won't," Cass assured her. "And as the judge said, you will be compensated for the nights in prison."

"You can keep your money," Ulrika said. "But I have another request."

"Name it," Laric replied.

"That girl that was imprisoned with me," Ulrika explained. "She believes all these lies about the Iron Alliance, and there are others like her... I know you want to punish her, but... she is just a naïve kid. I suggest we take her along when the time comes to attack Qaelan. Let her see the truth with her own eyes. So, she may then convince others like her."

"Acceptable," Laric said and Cassandra nodded.

The door opened behind them and Laric's mother looked inside. "Victor, are your friends staying for dinner?"

"Oh of course," Cassandra said with a playful grin.

Half an hour later the five of them sat crapped around the small table in the living room, enjoying the last bites of Gina Laric's famed lasagna.

"Honestly the whole trip was worth for that alone," Ulrika said as she leaned back on her chair and patted her filled belly. "I desperately need that recipe."

"Family secret," Victor said, "you would need to marry me to get it..." He gave her a twinkle.

"Sorry dear, my heart is already taken."

Suddenly the door snapped open, and Jaina entered the room. "I am sorry, I had to use the force to find you, but... Qaelan is on fire. The battle has begun."

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great trial with her innocent and the meeting with Laric and his mother very revealing.
    Jaina bringing more trouble?

Anedon likes this.
  21. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    We shall see, we shall see

Epilogue

Captain Cassandra Torin moved her Tie Fighter a bit to the left and unleashed another salvo with her turbo lasers. "Take that you clankers!" She cheered as she watched the hit droids slowly fall from the sky and towards the ground. Cassandra made a dive then concentrated on the next group of droid fighters as they approached. She felt like an ace pilot and knew the droids had no chance against her.

"Mind some help sis?" Lycaon Torin her older brother asked and another TIE appeared at her side. Together the siblings cut through the droids like paper, no one here was an enemy for them. This was their battlefield, and as always, they would be victorious.

The ten-year-old girl giggled as she moved her TIE miniature over the kitchen table, while enthusiastically providing the sounds that the fighters guns would make. Well at least it made in her favorite TV show, The Imperial Knights. The sixteen-year-old gave his little sister a smile. He was too old for these kinds of games now, but for his little sister he gladly returned to them.

Cassandra adored her older brother, who always knew everything and would help her with all her problems. As their parents worked long hours in the mines of their homeworld it was more often than not that the two siblings where amongst themselves. Just as today.

It had been a great day, they had played Limmie after school, girls against boys, and, mostly thanks to her redheaded friend Hilda the girls had won. Having each earned themselves a kiss from a boy they liked. Cassandra was still blushing a bit when she thought back to Alan Weir´s lips on her cheek. As she was now thinking back to it, she forgot her game and dropped her TIE fighter toy.

In the next moment she burst into laughter as her brothers’ hand reached down to her belly and gave her a tickling through her light shirt.

"Vulture attack!" He said gleefully, holding up one of the droid toys in his other hand.

"Hey... stop this...Ly" Cassandra begged, grinning from ear to ear.

"Can't take it, little Knight?" Her brother smiled but continued his attacks.

He had given her that nickname due to her favorite series. As much as she liked it, in the show all of the knights had been male and girls only existed as their girlfriends. And so, he had told her that she would always be his little Knight.

"Please... Ly..." A flash of light filled the room and a detonation, louder than everything Cass had ever heard in her life echoed through the peaceful evening. Screams followed, and the sound of blaster fire, now real and scary, as opposed to the funny sounds she had made herself just moments ago. She felt how she began to shiver, what was happening here? Was this real?

"Ly!" She screamed, utterly unable to move...

The next moments were a mess, she remembered how her brother had grabbed her hand and pulled her outside. How they had run through desolated streets, dark shadows above them. How they had dodged salvos of blaster fire. But to Cass it had felt more like she was watching a movie than actually doing these things herself.

Eventually they had reached the towns small spaceport, where a few shuttles were prepared to leave. Desperate and panicked humans trying to board them while a small line of soldiers was trying to hold them back. Ly had pushed other to the sides and then dragged his sister to the commanding officer.

The bearded man had quickly examined her, then pulled her through the line and towards one of the waiting shuttles. "Ly!" the girl had screamed, as she turned around, she saw how the officer had held her brother back.

"Not you, only women and children, we need every man to fight." He had said sternly.

Cass had slipped from his grip and run back to her brother, "I'm not leaving, why can't you come with me?"

The officer had grabbed her again and pulled her towards the shuttle, now firmer. "Sorry little lady. Only women and children. Your brother needs to fight."

"But why?" she had screamed, as she kicked her legs, trying to return to her brother. Again, she had freed herself and run back to her brother, wrapping her arms around him.

Ly had looked at her, but in his face, she had seen a determination she had never known from him before. She had seen how he had taken a deep breath, then he had said. "It's okay, be brave. I will get out with the next shuttle. I will get mom and dad and we will all get out of here together. I promise..."

And so, she had, after a moment that seemed like an eternity let go of him. And gone to the shuttle, the last time she had seen him, the last time she had seen her homeworld. In the shuttle she had met Alan again, who was crying and screaming for his mommy. Cassandra had hugged him and assured them that they would see their parents again very soon... lies, but at the time she had considered them the truth. Nothing but the truth...

Administrator Cassandra Torin whipped away the tears her memory had caused her as she quickly moved through the corridors of the Star Destroyer, one of the remaining two of the Empire here in the Southwest. She had been assigned to oversee the battle of Qaelan and offer her skills in the aftermath. But she felt unable to do any of this, not while...

She entered the training room, a simulator that had been in place here since the clone wars. As it still featured mostly combat against droids it was rarely used by the Imperials these days, but currently two warriors were testing their skills here.

Fighting back-to-back the two short haired women seemed to work in perfect unison. Both dressed in black tank tops and pants, sweat was running over Ilona´s and Ulrika's bodies. But she saw a grin on both of their faces, and for a moment she couldn't help but admire them. They worked together almost perfectly, covering each other weak spots, giving quick warnings and advice as they dodged shots and destroyed droids with each of their attacks. Cassandra watched as their score was rising, rarely having seen such a perfect display of two soldiers. In this moment she understood why these two women were considered amongst the finest soldiers of their generation in the ORSF.

Even as the Magna Guards arrived the two fought on, drawing blades and taking on the droids in close combat. Both managing to destroy several of the CIS´s most dangerous fighters before they were eventually downed.

"I told you to cover my back," Ulrika said breathing heavily but laughing as well.

"Hah, the Rear Admiral, unable to protect her rear," Ilona grinned as she grabbed a bottle of water, drinking a bit of it, then pouring the rest over her friend’s head. Ulrika returned the watery assault for a moment, then she noticed Cassandra.

"Cassie!" she smiled and the smile made Cassandra feel even worse. "Want to join us?"

"No," the administrator said, lowering her gaze. "I need to talk to you."

"What is going on?" Ilona asked, worry in her voice as she sat down on one of the benches.

Ulrika squeezed herself next to her. "Can we help you."

Cass bit her lip, and for a moment an image of Ly appeared in front of her eyes. But she had made her choice. "You can put me in chains. I am a traitor."

"What?" Ulrika looked at her, clearly having noticed from Cass´s tone that this was serious. "What are you talking about?"

"Remember the battle of Zerkan? The Iron Alliance managed to take down the planetary governor in the first attack? I was the one who told them where he would be." Cassandra said, her hands shaking, unable to look the other two women in the eye.

"You did what?" Ilona jumped to her feet.

"And even more," Cassandra added. "I was the one who informed Keran Sarne that you would be coming for him." She was unable to stand any longer and broke down to her knees. "I told the Iron Alliance everything about you. Everything they wanted to know." She looked up, tears in her face as she fixated Ulrika.

The blonde woman´s face was ashen. "Why, just... why?"

"At first, I wanted the governor dead. Governor Kor was a sick, twisted man. He had made couches from the skin of Twie'leks, and he... he tried to abuse me..." she lowered her head again. "We knew the alliance would attack our world. Which is why Kor was moving away from the Capital. I gave the information. But... I told them nothing else, even gave them fake info on the positions of the soldiers. So, Kor would die, but... their attack would fail."

"This is why you didn't tell them about the tunnel into the administration building?" Ulrika asked, her voice was... soft.

Meanwhile Ilona had crossed her arms in front of her chest, looking from one to the other. "So you only wanted the governor dead? Why did you aid them afterward?"

Cassandra swallowed hard, "because they suddenly knew it was me. Believe me I took any precaution I could think of, used an untraceable comlink, a voice synthesizer. They could have never figured out it was me..."

"But they did?" Ilona asked, her voice as cold as the void.

"Yes," Cassandra nodded. "They contacted me. Me personally, after the battle. Said they knew everything. And that they would make everything public if I didn't cooperate."

"So it was treason or your life?" Ulrika asked, her voice still soft.

Again the administrator nodded. "I was so afraid, I told them all I knew at the time. I was unable to even think straight. Stars I am a coward."

"Oh, you are," Ilona's voice was filled with venom. "You should have died before betraying your allies."

"I know," Cassandra said. "I just wanted the nightmare to end, for it to be over."

"But it wasn't right?" Ulrika said, exchanging a glance with Ilona. "They wanted you to kill me?"

Cassandra looked up to her, "how do you know?"

"A friend of mine overheard the Iron Lord boasting about having an asset to kill me." Ulrika explained. "Though I will say I suspected Duran..." She shook her head.

"I was to make you lose the trial." Cassandra said.

"How?" Ilona asked. "The trial was a joke. Ulrika couldn't have lost."

"I had footage, footage of, the Metalorn massacre. I was to present it to the jury." Cassandra explained.

Ulrika's face was ashen as she turned around to Cassandra. "No..." she muttered. "I never thought..."

"Ulrika," Ilona turned around to her.

"I deleted the footage," Cassandra told them. "Though they might still publish it now themselves."

"What is this footage, and why didn't they send it to Duran directly?" Ilona asked.

"Something that would have seen me to the gallows, no matter what..." Ulrika said. Her face more somber than Cassandra had ever seen it.

"Oh they did send it to her," Cassandra said. "But thankfully her lawyer has a thing for pretty girls."

Ilona stared at her, "you seduced him so he would keep it under the table?“

"Yes," Cassandra said. "I had no choice. I needed to stop their plans. It was the least I could do."

In the next moment she felt two strong arms being wrapped around her. But not around her neck chocking her to death but around her upper body. "Thanks..." Ulrika muttered into her ear. "Thanks Cass."

Cassandra returned the hug for a moment, but then she stepped back.

"But I betrayed you." she muttered. "I am your enemy."

"I don't think so," Ulrika said. "How would you have acted in her place?"

"She betrayed us to Sarne, Hilda's crew..."

"Would have very likely died anyway," Ulrika said. "Remember, Sarne knew we were coming since our visit at the slave market. But I only informed Laric and Cassie a few hours before our assault, days later. Sarne already had the information."

Ilona said nothing for a moment then she nodded slowly. "True, and those personal details are probably all over the holonet anyway... We both are hardly unknown. But... that the information was worthless doesn't excuse that she gave them." She took a deep breath. "Kriff it."

Cassandra felt how her heart became a bit lighter, she knew she would die for this, but now she could at least find some peace in the knowledge that her mistakes hadn´t been as fatal as they seemed. "I accept any punishment the regent will come up with." She said, lowering her head.

"Are you mad?" Ulrika said. "You are our friend; you saved my life! We won't rat you out."

"But..." Ilona began. She looked from one to the other, than she bit her lip. "I... you deserve punishment Cassandra... but... I once considered a girl beyond redemption because she made a mistake... costing myself a good friend for decades. My own father served Wilhuff Tarkin and handed over innocents to the Empire. My husband was raised by a collaborator. I honestly don´t know what is right or wrong anymore, but you deserve at least a chance to make up for your mistake."

"You do administrator," a cold voice said behind them and Cassandra spun around. Captain Laric was leaning against the durasteel door watching them.

"How long have you been there?" Cassandra began to shiver again.

"For long enough." Ilona said, clearly having noticed the captain’s presence a while ago. "I am surprised by your mercy."

Laric raised an eyebrow as he approached them. "This has nothing to do with mercy. Administrator Torin has displayed her cunning and determination. It would be foolish to rob the Empire of an asset as valuable as her. At least if what she has told us is true, she may be forgiven for her transgressions, if she is willing to put her skills of subterfuge in the service of the regent."

"Oh act all pragmatic Victor," Ulrika shot at him with a grin. "You can't hide that there is a heart in your chest after all."

"Anatomically maybe," Laric said, the merest hint of a smile playing around his lips. "The Iron Alliance will surely make your treachery now public. We will counter it with the narrative that you deliberately gave them false information to lure them into a trap. Which isn't even a lie."

Cassandra felt how tears filled her eyes. She was unable to contain herself any longer. She was so glad and happy that these people, her... friends where still at her side even after all that happened.

"Make no mistake, Ambassador Malek will keep you under close surveillance from now on," Laric continued. "Until we can be sure to be able to trust you again."

"I understand," Cassandra said, still crying while Ulrika placed a hand on her shoulder.

"There is one thing still bugging me though," Ilona said. "How did they know it was you? Did you do anything that could be connected to you?"

Cassandra let out a sob, that was the worst part. "I called myself, the Little Knight when contacting them. A nickname only between me and my brother... I... I might not be the only Torin who betrayed her people. “

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Cassandra redeemed but what will happen next?

Anedon likes this.
  23. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well will see... in the next story of this epic saga. :p

Glad you are still enjoying it.