main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Trip to London

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Arriss, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    Hey there. :D

I?m finally fulfilling a longtime dream and heading over to the UK (pinches self)!!! =D= Yes, I?m terribly excited but I need a bit of advice so I?m hoping some of you can help.

I already have my Rail Pass but I?m trying to figure out if I should get a London Pass or Travel Card. I?ll be on my own for a couple of days and I?d like to get to the Tower of London as well as cruise around Piccadilly Circus and wherever else but I'll need to rely on the tube to get around. Can someone help me figure this out? [face_praying]

Thank you!!!!! :D

2. major_phennir

major_phennir Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2006
    Hello Arriss :)

Not sure if you've looked at the Britrail web site here. It has loads of info on travelling around Britain by train aimed at foreign visitors to the UK.

You can get Travelcards for London. I believe you can get weekly ones or buy one each day. Try the Transport for London website for info on prices etc.

Travelcards are valid on all National Rail services, tubes, buses, Docklands Light Railway, Croydon Tramlink and some river boats within the designated travelcard zones. You can download maps etc at the TFL website.

Hope the above is of some assistance and that you have a great time in London :)

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You can find some Tube/train maps here on the London Underground website. You can also buy a London A-Z (street maps showing Tube stops in relation to sites like the Tower) at any bookstore/newsagent once you are here.

When is your trip?

4. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    up the arriss!!!
    sorry,just a little joke for my dad,there...

5. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Hello. :) I have looked at the Brit Rail website and have that pass. We're planning on traveling to Scotland (Edinburgh) as soon as I arrive in London and spend 1/2 the trip there. I hadn't seen the other site you mentioned but I found a London Pass website where I can get a 2 day pass that covers transport too. They have a special going on that ends soon so I need to figure this out quickly. [face_worried]

Thank you!!! You've been a great help!

I contacted VisitBritain.com and they sent me several booklets that I'm bringing w/me. There's maps in there but London is...huge! :eek: Trying to figure out how to get from point A to point B is, well, kinda daunting. This is all so new to me and I don't want to get lost or miss out on something I really want to do.

I leave in 2 weeks! [face_dancing] Woohoo!!!! Thank you for your help!!!

Uh, ok. :)

My only downfall on this trip? I absolutely [face_love] the English accent. I'll have to be sure and bring my =P~ cup. :D :D

Cheers. [:D]

6. Kassy

Kassy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    :cool: Only too wiling to help out.

Check out LondonTown.com

[face_peace]

7. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    Mate, I have only just returned from a trip to the UK. I'm pretty sure the London Pass gets you into many places, but be sure these are places you want to visit or the pass will be a waste of money. My parents and I got a 7-day travelcard each (should have had two each) and we used the tube quite regulary. It's easy to get around the tube.

If you will be making about four trips on Brit Rail, I suggest you get a Brit Rail pass. We did that (the third person got a 50% discount!). If they don't mark your pass, then take another trip! We managed five trips on our pass cause they didn't mark the pass twice! Sweet!

8. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    be sure to visit the castle when in edinburgh... i know it's a dreadfully tourist thing to do... but the as castles go,it's pretty magnificent!
    hopefully,we'll see you when you head down south.
    :)

9. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    I like your papa, Jamie.
    I think I feel a TP/monolpoly/just get drunk night coming on ifthere's gonna be another person visiting our foggy, musty, ahem, I mean fair shores. [face_dancing]

10. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    just get drunk...
    sounds fair enough.

11. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Thanks, Kassy. :D I?ve been to LondonTown and I went back today and bought my LondonPass w/transport. Now I?ll just need to get on the tube so I can pick it up. The only other transportation I?ll need is from the hotel to Gatwick when I return.

The LondonPass is :cool: ! There?s so much I can do/places I can go w/it. It should help this Texas lady have a memorable trip. :D

Jedi_Nat ? I did check into the various costs and the LondonPass just seemed like the best way to go. I admit, the tube makes me nervous. I?ve never been on a subway (or train) before.

I do have a 4-day BritRail pass and maybe I?ll get lucky where they?ll miss marking mine too. ;)

jamierichards ? Oh, I plan on making some castle rounds while we?re in Edinburgh!!! Tourist be d@mned ? I love castles and this is my chance to see one up close and personal. ;)

LOL! You two go ahead and drink for me. :p I?m not much of a drinker, although I know I'll have to visit a few pubs while I'm there.

Less than 2 weeks to go!!! [face_dancing]

12. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    Whereabouts are you gonna be staying in London?

13. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Not far from Earl's Court. I still can't get over the size of London - it's huge!

14. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    earls court... a wretched hive of scum and villainy... and worse,australians!

15. Leia-Organa

Leia-Organa Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    Look out Jamie, Australians present :)
    And its kangaroo court.. not Earl's court. Shepards bush has a far higher concentration of Aussies, along with acton ,and clapham.... well.. we are taking over actually...

16. Kassy

Kassy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    We love Ozzies [face_peace]

17. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Sounds like you have most things organised down to a T, Arriss :D

I hope you enjoy your stay here in London and the UK. Hopefully the weather will hold up too ;)

Getting back to Gatwick can be done by either using the Gatwick Express which is expensive but quick. Or you can use the regular over-head trains which are cheaper but slower.
    More info on those trains can be found here:First Capital Connect
    Basically the Gatwick train runs through the following central London stations: London Bridge, City, Blackfriars, Farringdon and King's Cross Thameslink.

Or there are coach services such as the National Express which usually leave from Victoria.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask :)

18. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    aussie women...
    /shudders

19. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    major-phennir has pointed out to me that there is another rail company that serves from Gatwick to Victoria too. Here's the link:
    southernrailway.com

or copy and paste this huge link in for a more direct approach:
    http://www.southernrailway.com/buytickets/flybytrain/FlyByTrain.php?iSessionId=90d981bd2299e4c5568438a4572f6550&bNewImport=true&sEvent=TicketDetails&SOUTHERN=90d981bd2299e4c5568438a4572f6550

(Thanks Mark! :) )

20. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Me too!! My next dream trip is to visit the Land Down Under! [face_love]

I'm trying Lord-Tice! :D I'll check into the First Capital Connect. I haven't heard of that one before. Thank you!!

I know a few Aussie women and they're gems!!

:cool: Thank you very much! I'll take a peek at those too!

21. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    hey,don't get me wrong... i love the aussie women.
    love 'em.
    ;)

22. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    They're good people, jamie. :)

Quick question... I'm supposed to meet a friend of mine once I arrive (she's already there). Unfortunately, I have no way to reach her and she left a message w/my son which is...well, not exactly the greatest. Is there a McDonalds at King's Crossing or near there? I know weird location but we're supposed to hop the train to Edinburgh right after we find each other. I really need someone to help since I leave tomorrow. :)

Thanks! :)

23. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    There isn't a McDonalds on Kings Cross station - you can download a map of the station here. There is a Burger King but I don't think there is even a McDonalds anywhere near Kings Cross. Sorry can't be more help :(

EDIT: the original link didn't work, so click on the link above, then scroll down on the left hand side and you will see Kings Cross station listed. You can download the map from this link.

24. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    There's a Macy D's outisde the main Kings Cross train Station. I think there are two however, one to the left as you walk out of the station, the other opposite which you have to cross the road to get to. They're both pretty easy to spot so hopefully you'll have no problems seeing each other and both are within spitting distance of the Station's entrance. Have a safe trip and let us know how you get on :D

25. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    See, I knew somebody would know!! Personally I detest McDonalds and although I am familiar with Kings Cross that's probably why I've never seen them there before!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.