main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tripping the Rift

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    [face_hypnotized]

NoONE once again astounds me with his mathematics. :p :)

Sex is beautiful. But not the way they portray it. They use it as a punchline.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Well if you look at the original one its pretty obvious that sex is going to be the main set up for most of the jokes. Plus its just kind of par for the course with many of those "adult" cartoons. They seem to think just if they talk about sex they'll be edgy and hip [face_plain]

I guess thats what it boils down to for me. It isn't very good. Like you said, all the jokes revolve around sex and they're usually pretty generic, but so are any number of shows like it. This one just uses a Sci-fi theme, which is something I enjoy. As opposed to say, Drawn Together, which is pretty similar IMO yet is a reality tv set up.

Sci-Fi > Reality TV

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Oh, Drawn Together, what a weird show.

I might be going too far with this, but I feel that Tripping the Rift patronizes Sci-Fi fans. I really do. You can almost tell that a bunch of people sat around a room thinking:

"Hey, let's base this show off a large sexual theme. Let's even add characters that add to the sex appeal. Sci-Fi fans don't have sex, so this will be the show that can compensate for that."

I hate the notion that Sci-Fi fans are extreme dorks who have no life and spend their time watching Star Trek and going to conventions. I feel like this show patronizes that incredibly inaccurate notion. What a bunch of bull.

[GUMP]" ... and that's all I have to say about that."[/GUMP]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.