main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive TroubledAnakin (New art: 21/08/05) UPDATED Dooku/Qui-Gon

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TroubledAnakin, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, your Amidala is just beautiful! I agree with everyone that's commented on it so far, as to the likeness and the coloring--and yes, the fur on her costume really looks like fur! It was wonderful, too, that you included a tutorial (especially interesting for me, with virtually no clue how to do that sort of thing! :p ). Very generous on your part! You drew Amidala in the car?! Sheesh--I have difficulty coming up with a likeness sitting in a stationary chair with abundant lighting and properly positioned tablets! Well done, and looking forward to more! ;)

FF

2. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    Hahah. Like father like son, Corellian_Rogue!

Thank you so much FalconFan. You've been a guiding hand throughout my recent art, and your kind comments have often inspired me to draw again, when I felt that I was flagging under the weight of other things (even sometimes when I -really- ought to have doing those other things first!)

As for drawing Amidala in the car... I had luck there. It was a people carrier, and the sun was very bright. Big old steady car...

No actually, that has nothing to do with it. The truth is that I actually sometimes draw better when I'm moving - granted that after too long it makes me sick - but the movement makes me concentrate a lot more ont he actual lines I'm drawing, and take more time over them. It's this care that I lack normally, when I'm just doodling, and not really paying attention to what I'm doing at all. There'd be a tutorial on my next Amidala except for the fact that it's the black and gold one with the feather headdress, and there's not really much to colour that'll show up *sweatdrop*

But when I figure out what I was planning to draw and forgot about, I'll do another tutorial for that. x.X

3. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    So Hyper-space is yours! Love the Boba Fett one, by the way.

4. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    Yep, Hyper-space is mine! Thank you for visiting, SkyWookiee!

Nice to hear from a member!

5. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Amidala looks marvelous! All that detail in the fur is very impressive as it looks very realistic. Also like how you've added your step-by-step process in the paint program. I still have problems using Photoshop and like reading how other people go about their methods and techniques, so thanks for sharing! :)

I still can't believe you managed to draw that in a car. I've drawn in a Bus once to a mediocre result, finding it difficult to keep my hand steady, lol.

- Suz ^_~

6. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/amid.jpg] An unfinished Sabe. Sorry I can't stay long enough to chat, there's a storm blowing in and I have to close all the windows!

7. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I kind of like the unfinished state. You can't help but keep your eyes right on her face because it's the only bright spot on the image. The painted face emerging from all this black is actually pretty compelling.

You did a great job suggesting her dress, even without much colour information. I recognized it instantly.

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, wow! This is the second interpretation of Sabe in the Amidala disguise I've seen recently--it's so beautiful! I love the detailing on the dress and headdress (which is stunningly done, considering the dark coloring of most of the garment), and the facial makeup is exactly right. A lovely piece, TroubledAnakin!

FF

9. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Wow, I almost hesitate to say "don't finish it, it's perfect!" But don't let me stop you from doing what you want to with this piece. :p

10. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    Sabe isn't finished - but today I played around with Paint Shop Pro, and do you know what I found out?!

My tablet reacts to different pressures!

So I dabbled for a while after that, and I came up with this, modelled on my novel character Leonard Black.

He learns that by surrounding himself with the dark side of the Force, he can channel himself in a way that makes him invisible...but by doing so, it makes him weaker to the darker side of his character - gives the Dark Side more power over him - and he is very much half and half. He was not brought up by either side of theForce...so he kind of developed on his own naturally because of his excessive power. So when he begins to learn to channel the light, he just as much learns to channel the dark side too - although not explicitly taught to him.

So...this is him surrounded by darkness...although perhaps not invisible at the moment because of his lightsaber - it's more likely that he's just come out of the shadow...think Nightcrawler, if you will. Suddenly appearing out of shadow.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/hohum2.jpg]

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    That's an eerie effect going on there, TroubledAnakin, with the blue glow and then the almost smoky-looking darkness surrounding that. A difficult "effect" to try to portray artistically--invisibility, I mean! I like the way you've defined his robes, too--it all looks very much like fabric--and once again, the highlighting on the hair is wonderful. As a critique, the foreshortening on his saber arm seems a little "awkward"--I can see that his arm is extended toward us, but the proportions between the upper- and fore-arm seem a bit off. That small thing aside, I like this piece--the coloring, the "effect," and the way he looks--sort of a "red-haired, fair lad"--his appearance is interestingly at odds with what you describe as his ongoing struggle with the Dark Side, and his internal "darkness." Nice work! BTW--what tablet are you using, and with what sort of software?

FF

12. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    That's great to discover about your tablet! It's much more intuitive to draw when you can use pressure.

I like the detail work you put into the robe and the hair. The yellow highlights really make him look like he's got Irish-colouring. And it was a nice touch to have the shadows in the folds of the robe bouncing the blue light from the lightsaber. Well done.

13. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    That's true - the foreshortening needed a lot more shadow, and maybe a larger hand. Thanks for pointing that out, FalconFan. He looks like he's got a baby arm. And yes, invisibility is very difficult to portray. I tried it once with Hary Potter - making him appear out of his background as he took his invisibility cloak off. I'm glad you like the background - it really was a shim sham at the end. As for his being red haired and fair - heheh. I always like that darkness lurks in the most innocent of faces - so I picked up on that. Leo has to use his invisibility to escape a Sith Lord that he is far too weak to fight, and in the sequel I never wrote, he used the darkness as well as the light to rescue his mother, and his Jedi Master - but irrevocably brought the Dominion down onto his home planet - so he ends up having to fight for Earth. It's fun..but it never got finished. Maybe NaNoWriMo this time round will see a sequel?

I'm using a Hewlett Packard/Packard Bell tablet, with Paint Shop Pro - which I've used since I was so high. Having a tablet has really inspired me - because I was useless with a mouse. But my pen's shattering now! It's actually breaking from stress - and all the silvering's worn off!

Mostly I draw my line art by hand - although I have often drawn it straight on the computer when I'm bored with doing something I ought to be doing, and start doodling with the pen. Usually this means that the piece is half completed by the time I realise I've got into it, I's quite good, but it's not nearly big enough - which is a miserable thing to happen to anyone, I think.

Wicktone - the blue shadows were a complete accident. My off hand colour was a dark blue, and I started doing the folds in the robe not really knowing what I was heading for, like I mentioned above - and so it just...happened like that, and became the piece it became. It was really the robe itself that I was drawing - it was just what happened to the hand - and obviously I couldn't just draw the robes. Heheh.

As for Leo - he used to live in the mountains with his mother and his little roan pony...so who knows - maybe he is Irish. It'd make sense - Irish name.

Being able to draw with pressure is a wondeful thing - and I have you to thank for it, wicktone, as I'd never have noticed otherwise!

14. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    More art from TA. Finally, though... It's just a doodle that I did for my club. Experimenting with thick black lines, and heavy black shading. Dooku was a failure, Yoda looks kind of comic-ish, though...I'd have done them in more detail if I was making an actual image of it - but I'd probably not have drawn Yoda either - I'm not good with aliens.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/DYFight3.jpg]

15. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sabeblack.jpg]

Finally! Sabe is finished! It only took ten minutes to finish her - I ought to have done it before. Anyway, she's now done, and looking much better for the finishing touches, particularly on her face, and to accentuate the fabric of the dress.

Just thought I'd edit to add an R2 sketch I found. It's unfinished - I drew it for my brother, and because I don't usually draw mechs I'm actually pretty proud of it. Even though it's just a sketch. If anyone wants to colour it, then feel free - it will never find such by my hand - I just don't have the patience.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/R2SKETCH.jpg]

16. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    =D=

Thats a really great looking R2. And I like the nightcrawler affect going on with the other guy with the lightsaber. And good job on sabe comeing out of the darkness like that. Excellent job TroubledAnakin. I'm excited to see R2 finished. :)

Arsnl

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi TroubledAnakin! Two posts in two days--coool!!

I actually really like the duel painting--the background is what stopped me dead: it's very cool, sort of like we're looking at it through water or something! It has a very dark and mysterious atmosphere to it, with the one bright light source and the obvious reflectivity of the surfaces--very very cool! :cool: As to Dooku being a "failure," I disagree--with that mane of smoothly combed white hair, and dueling a "little green" Jedi Master, who else could it be? ;) Seriously, tho--in a piece like this, I don't think likenesses are that critical, as it's the scene we're focusing on, rather than just the characters in it. Adding a touch of a white or grayish beard to Dooku's face might give it just a bit more..."Dooku-ness," but really, I knew who it was supposed to be! Yoda is a tough draw, I agree--I haven't even attempted to render that intriguing little fellow (too much detailing, lol!) Again, tho--in the context of this piece--I knew instantly who it was! You say this was for "a club"--I'll bet they were thrilled with it!

Sabe is fantastic!! I can't get over the beautiful detailing on that dress, with all the shadows and shine in the intricate cutouts... Just gorgeous. Her facial shading is wonderful as well--you managed to bring out her features very well, even with that "Kabuki" makeup on her, and the shadows of the hood on her face are just great! Wonderful job!

And R2 looks awesome!!! =D= I can't draw mechanical things either (my Art Class assignment of that droideka nearly killed me, lol!), and just tear my hair out when I try--but this looks fantastic!! It's so detailed and perfectly proportioned--just wonderful! I guess it just goes to show what we can do if we just try, eh? I'll bet your brother was just giddy over this! Great, great work!

It's good to see you putting up some stuff again--I always like looking through your thread!

FF

18. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    I wasn't really dead...I just took a vacation. Not. Like I Said somewhere else on this thread, I just go in and out of my art phases - I felt like doodling, and this is what I got.

My club is Hyper-space on Deviantat - which I run on my own. I keep the place alive and updated by posting caption contests for my members to enter. So this was the new one, with Dooku saying 'How do you move so fast?' I've got some pretty neat replies so far, actually.

I'm glad you like her. Everyone said 'don't finish her' above, but I really thinks she looks a lot better now she's finished.

My little brother's just five! He looked at it once and went off to do other things. I took one look at that Droideka and thought...you know what, I think I'm skipping this assignment, lol. I know, not very community spirited of me, was it?

19. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    Right...er...yes. He's all done, I'll just upload him, and have a bath, I think - since I smell.

I tried to stop last night, but I couldn't put him down until he was done - so here he is now, completed.

The reason I was drawing a Padawan Qui-Gon has a lot to do with my a) reading massive amounts of fanfic and b) being very interested in exploing the Dooku/Qui-Gon dynamic. If anyone's writing a two Jedi go on a mission story - it's Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan - but Dooku was obviously very attached to Qui-Gon, else he wouldn't have reacted the way he did to his death. Or am I just reading this dynamic entirely the wrong way?

Anyway - I was also, coincidentally, RPing an 'Obi-Wan goes back in time and meets his Master when he's a Padawan' thing - and well, it all came together as one, you might say. So I picked up a pencil and sketched a jawline - and thought 'Well...who am I drawing?' and I answered myself a few seconds later by thickening the neck, and putting in a braidline.

Obviously, somewhere along the way I actually had to look at a reference of Qui-Gon. I had a -lot- of trouble getting the eyes quite right, but you'll see in the finished piece the resemblances - even if the slightly accentuated cheekbones was flagrant abuse of facial structure on my behalf :) Take his hairline back a little bit, and grow it all out, and he's still the same Qui-Gon. Oh - and he's smiling.

So...yes... Here it is:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/quigonpad2.jpg]

20. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    :cool: Cool lookin' Padawan there. He does look like a young Qui-Gon. I like all the details, and his hair is really good.

21. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Hey, the Sabe turned out beautifully! I love how it seems all black at first, but when you look closer, there's a surprising amount of detail in the costume and headpiece. She has a very sombre but serene expression, too.

The R2 sketch is great. It looks very much like a blueprint, and I like that you tilted him on an angle. It kind of gives us a new look at him.

Beautiful detailing on Qui-Gon's collar and hair. I'm always curious about what his and Dooku's padawan/master experience was like. How much of Qui-Gon's independence and free-thought was learned from Dooku?

22. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    I love your Padawan Qui-Gon drawing! You definitely got his nose right I can just imagine him looking like that if he was real.

By the way wicktone, in Legacy of the Jedi by Jude Watson, Dooku was very serious and not really a "fun" master. He was annoyed with the way Qui-Gon would easily want to help or befriend anyone he met. This is a quote from the book from Dooku to Qui-Gon (right before Qui-gon is off to the trials):

"You have been an excellent Padawan, Qui-Gon. I could not ask for a better one. I will tell the Council this as you face the trials. But I will not tell them this: You have a flaw. This in itself is not a bad thing. Each of us has one. It is bad when we don't see it. Yet what is far worse is to see your flaw and to think it is not a flaw at all. Perhaps it is my fault that I was never able to teach you my most important lesson.

Your flaw is your need for connection to the living Force. Qui-Gon, the galaxy is crowded with beings. The Jedi Order is here to support you. Nevertheless you must carry the following knowledge in your heart: You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable."

I know it's wierd that I went overboard in explaining this, but I'm bored right now and it gave me something to do. :D

23. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    Thanks for dropping in. It's always nice to have new people come in and comment! Everyone seems to like his hair. Actually, I like his hair too *oogles it* I wonder why pencil sketches always look so much better in real life?

I was going for that, detail in the darkness. It's hard to judge, because of the difference in contrast my screen has. Did I do it enough? Is it too much? What -will- this look like to other people?

It came out blue when I masked it trying to colour it (and failed miserably, might I add) but it's not what I was aiming for. I started off drawing the main body - but the tilt I'd drawn was far too much for the picture to come out looking right, so I had to have him going up hill instead. It really wasn't intentional. :)

I'm definitely curious. I want to have my own go at representing it...but I think it's going to take a little work on my behalf - determination, patience. Oh dear. Not things I'm good at. I like to think about it though, lol.

I think that he must have learnt a lot from Master Dooku - I would be surprised if he'd developed into the Jedi he came to be without his help. His contempt of the Jedi Council for instance, was no doubt something that was passed down from Dooku - however unintentionally it was intended at the time.

But there certainly always has been a gentler side to Qui-Gon, beyond the simple rogueishness that we expect from him. He does play a hard line...

Wish I could imagine him moving around, myself. Interracting with his Master. God, I want to write -so- much... Mustn't write though, it'd end up unfinished, and horrible, and so totally not true to the books because I never read them! Glad you like his nose :)

Oh, I do that all the time, go overboard - I think you're about to see why :D Since I don't read many of the books, I have to sift up a lot of the back story myself. I don't read books because I'm not good at buying books over the Inte

24. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    I guess that makes two of us! [face_laugh]

You should check out Timetales and the Unofficial Encyclopedia as well as the OS Databank. They're very useful for catching up on what you might have missed (in your case I'm guessing a lot?)

25. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    Hahah. I told you I talk a lot. *grins*

Nothing better than the Master/Padawan dynamic.

My current RP is an Obi-Wan goes back and meets his Master who is still a Padawan thing - as I mentioned above. It's wonderful *grin* especially because of the confusion - Obi-Wan has trouble remembering that Qui-Gon is a Padawan, and gets nervous when Qui-Gon calls him Master Owen, and holds open doors for him, and stuff.

Definitely amusing. Love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.