main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Truncated Posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Unfortunately your post is too new. We have an old backup of the database that we used for investigation and testing but it's dated 2010 so your post wouldn't be on there.

2. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Bummer. So it wouldn't ever be recoverable?

Thanks for looking into it.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, we haven't had a final word from IGN on recovery.

4. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Alright, so sitting tight is the best policy it seems. Thanks again LAJ. :)

5. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    Any updates on the truncation issue?

Also, if I am looking for newer stories, what is the earliest date of posting for stories that are NOT effected by truncation?

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Earliest would be when we went live here - March last year, if I recall correctly. Haven't had any recent updates on truncation.

7. jedi1952

Apr 15, 2007
    Really? I would have thought it was more like late August - September when the permanent boards came back up. So I guess the temporary boards stories came over fine?

And thank you for your prompt reply. :)

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Oops - my bad. You're right - we did come back in Sep 2012. [face_blush]

Edit - and nothing came over from the temp boards. The boards are still up if you want to take a look for anything but we didn't bring data over. They're at http://gd.theforce.net/xentemp/index.php .

9. jedi1952

Apr 15, 2007
    Not a problem. The only reason I remembered that time frame is when I was at Celebration VI last year I was told by the person staffing your booth that it would be sooooonnnnn...And it was! LOL. You don't happen to remember the date in September?

Sue

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If you take a look here in Comms in the 'We're Back' thread you can see when regular users started posting there. We mods were on earlier for testing and setup.

11. jedi1952

Apr 15, 2007
    OK, I will do that.

Thank You so much for your help.

Sue

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It was sometime on Sept. 2nd. I know that for two reasons:

A)It was the day after the Doctor Who ep Asylum of the Daleks aired both in the UK and in the US.

B) It was my birthday.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Sounds about right..

14. Master Elaine Nega

Master Elaine Nega Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    I don' t know if it' s the right topic to post, but I think I might have a related problem. I copied my fanfic from Fanfiction. net and posted it here. But the spaces before the new paragraph disappeared. I then edited it and added the spaces, but after I saved it, the post seemed to look exactly how it was before. Somehow the forum is skipping them. Jedi_Lover tried to help me, but nothing worked. I tried to remove formatting, I copied the fanfic into different programs and tried to re-paste it, but it only made things worse( like removing the Enter commands so everything would look like a single paragraph) . I' d be very glad if somebody fixed it.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Are you posting into a new post or updating an old one? If it's a new one, have you tried pasting the text into Notepad and then from there into here? I'd have to see an example - you could PM it to me so I can see.

16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    A lot of the fanfic writers are having this problem. It is when we cut and paste. I use Word for Mac and when I paste the story in it sometimes takes away all the spaces between paragraphs. Sometimes I can edit it with no problem. Other times when I try to edit nothing happens...or I think nothing happens, but when I preview I see the edit happened. Sometimes when I paste something in it doubled the spaces between paragraphs and it won't let me delete the extra space when I push edit, but if I push More Options and get that edit box...then I can edit. It happens when I use my PC also.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Are you copy-pasting into richtext mode or plaintext mode?

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I know nothing about computers so I have no clue. How would I figure that out?

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Are you just pasting into the reply window as-is or do you click the A in the top right corner first? The latter, I've found, doesn't have the spacing preservation issue, albeit you lose italic/bold/underline formatting.

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    :p Since I didn't know what that A in the corner was for I haven't clicked it but just pasted in the reply window. So should I click it first then paste, or paste and then click? Although I don't know which is worse, not having spaces, or having spaces and all your formatting is gone.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    What I might recommend then would be pasting, then clicking that A, then putting the spaces in in that screen. You'll at least see them show up - the issue here is that the richtext screen has some bugs related to copypaste and there's no effective workaround. The plaintext screen doesn't have those bugs, but since it's plaintext, it needs formatting codes.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks! I'll try that.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    This. If I'm posting anything (especially fic), I always post it as plain text, and then manually put in HTML because rich Text editors almost always screw up the coding of anything I post.

24. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
  25. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    I'm just realizing this... So if I posted a short story in, oh, 05 or so... is it lost forever? I don't have a copy any more. >.>