main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Trust goes both ways: The bond between Jyn and Cassian

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by cerealbox, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Their absence in the succeeding films is the explanation the filmmakers give for why they had to die. It's a big galaxy, but surely the Alliance would have tapped Jyn and Cassian to help spring Han Solo from Jabba's clutches, or lead the mission to Endor (rather than risk the Princess or Commander Solo) which was a pivotal operation for the Alliance. But I'm surprised that Edwards et al did not consider one other possibility: that they were captured. Then, another movie could be made based on The Great Escape (1963)!

In any case, I hope this is not the last we've heard of Jyn and Cassian, or of Rogue One. Perhaps some future film can reference the gallant group. There is the possibility that Cassian will show up in the Han Solo movie, and I can see Jyn crossing paths with Boba Fett.

2. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Well it had to be earned.

3. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    "ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY HAS REVIVED ROMANTICISM"
    http://makingstarwars.net/2017/02/rogue-one-star-wars-story-revived-romanticism/ (it's an interesting read)

"[...]
    That said, my most favorite and climatic moment of Rogue One, both on screen and in the literary adaptation is the ending scene on Scarif with our “Romantic Hero,” Jyn and the “Rugged Individual,” Captain Cassian Andor. This moment captures what’s known as “Exoticism” and mixes it with emotions, passion, and irrationality. Scarif is “Exoticism” at its finest. A location that under any other circumstance would give off an air of escape from reality, it’s a tropical paradise. That combined with the characters’ final realization that the essence of humanity is instinctive and personal. In layman’s terms: could have, should have, would have… only now, for them, it’s too late.

No, they didn’t kiss, and some would argue that they were not romantically connected but I’d be inclined to disagree. You see, there are some intimacies that surpass an average act of affection such as a kiss. So, for me, those final moments on the beaches of Scarif as they await the inevitable, clinging to one another, are probably the most tragically poetic moments in Star Wars history and perhaps, put a new spin on the term “star-crossed lovers.” In this case, stardust."

4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i watched RO again and i love the relationship between jyn and cassian all over again. *sighs*

Gigoran Monk and mirrorbright like this.
  5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Had a chance to re-watch it on BluRay. Still not convinced that the duo were supposed to be an item. I honestly don't get that vibe from the movie proper (which is admittedly a subjective conclusion) and neither the adult or junior novelizations really have anything to strongly suggest it either (unlike how the Force Awakens novelizations strongly suggest that Rey and Finn were falling for each other). However, considering that they only knew each other for a couple days, tops, I'm also not even sure if there was enough time for the exacts of the character's relationship to be sorted out and become as one thing or another.

Irregardless, the two did connect on some level (whatever that looks like) and it was one of the things that made the movie work on a human level. Call me weird, but I think the scene between the two that I like the best is where Jyn confronts Cassian about his orders. Well played, lot of emotional honesty, and shows how the two are alike and different, in ways good and bad.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Why is that a weird opinion to hold? That was a very well-acted and well-written scene.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. mirrorbright

Oct 14, 2016
    For me, the novelization was what made me think their relationship is a lot more complex. The point is - these are two people who seem different, but are actually very much alike, two very reserved individuals who learn how to trust (each other) and then work together in order to achieve their goal. The story was never meant to make everyone think "Oh look, these two are in love", but more like: what they became during the movie and what they could've been (for the rebellion, but also for each other).

Anyway, i think the novel hints a beginning of something that sadly never got to be explored. I already posted it, but these quotes were what convinced me (or at least some of them).

8. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Well, it does show the two of them at odds. Usually, most people like seeing a duo of characters in scenes where they're on good terms with each other; given the right amount of investment, we're not supposed to like seeing them fight.

Fair enough. I'll certainly concede it's a possibility. I could buy it happening (unlike say, I don't think the idea that Finn and Poe are going to be a gay couple has any merit).

mirrorbright likes this.
  9. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i said this before but it seemed they gradually fell in love as the movie progressed. but the way i perceive it the romantic feelings between them were just beginning to blossom at the time they died. so it's not that i saw them as a couple or expected them to kiss or anything. it was just beginning. and they never get a chance to explore it (so a romantic relationship between them is a potential that they don't have the chance to realize or not realize). i like that they end on this cusp in their relationship, because it makes the story more tragic.

mirrorbright and coervus like this.
  10. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    They had earned each other's trust, they had accomplished the impossible, they were soldiers in arms. Cassian was injured badly and probably dying. Jyn is a young woman, probably not used to romance, so how it went was perfect. At the end they were clinging to each other as fellow humans suffering and about to be annihilated, seeking that last touch of being alive. Not as would-be lovers.

11. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    A little sidebar, but on this Reddit thread, author Beth Revis makes an interesting observation about how she approached her book, Rebel Rising:

The book ends with a retelling of the Yavin 4 scene where Jyn first meets Andor. Revis wrote the scene under the assumption that, while she may not have exactly realized it, Andor reminded Jyn of the boy she'd fallen in love with as a teenager -- a story the novel told. Interesting to note, for what it's worth, although later in the thread, Revis does say that Jyn falling in love with a supporting character was something that was developed as it was being written.

Gigoran Monk and coervus like this.
  12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I bet the Boy is Han Solo!!8-}

13. TheRebelFleet

TheRebelFleet Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    IMO, I really liked how they became friends but not exactly attracted to each other in their last moments. This is something so rare to see in a movie today. A man and a woman becoming friends, not falling in love for each other all of the time. I really thought it mirrors a real-life situation. Not everyone is going fall in love with certain people. Although that elevator scene really questioned their feelings for each other, the movie was very ambiguous about their 'love.' I really like that as well, not obviously showing it, but leaving it for the fans to decide. :)

14. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Actually not, it's a brand-new character. That said, I would like to see Han and Jyn cross paths somewhere, either in a movie -- like a sequel to the Han Solo origins movie -- or in a short story or novel.)

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  15. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

Jyn, Cassian, Chirrut, Baze, Bodhi and K-2SO definitely would've made Return Of The Jedi infinitely better! ;)

Dr_Cthulhu likes this.
  16. mirrorbright

Oct 14, 2016
    Interesting analysis regarding their relationship, if anyone wants to read

17. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    That's an excellent analysis mirrorbright, the characters are I think clearly intended to play off of each other as opposites in some respects.

I do think that dramatic two way street perhaps explains a lot of the negative reaction to the film from some quarters(along with its generally more subtle nature) as it breaks with the simpler analysis of character arcs in blockbusters we generally see made.

I think its especially atypical for Cassians character to be treated in the fashion he was given that blockbuster cinema tends much more towards Jyns individualistic outlook these days. His arc isn't just one of redemption but imparting his world view to her as she does the reverse.

18. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

This pretty much puts to rest the asinine assumption that Rogue One has little or no character development. You know I really feel sorry for some people.

19. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    Definitely. Cassian was not the type to run off on a dangerous mission because of some girl he just met. He also states in the movie that he and the other volunteers had done things for the Rebellion that they weren't proud of (remember he killed that poor guy in the beginning) and they wanted to possibly clean up their karma.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  20. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    Exactly. If I saw death coming towards me like they did I'd grab hold of anything/anyone near me for comfort.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am very glad it never became romantic.

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The mission on Endor and the one in Jabba's palace would have been perfect for them. I never thought of it that way. I wish they had lived and escaped. Diego Luna is a great actor, and Felicity is so lovely and talented.