main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Truths of the Heart. Romance, Drama. Epilogue Posted: Now Complete. Thank you readers!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    timerift22: Glad you spoke up - you're right, I didn't see your name on the list. Me bad. You're on now.

Lincoln_6_Echo: Don'tcha hate stories that aren't completed! Me, too. This will be, definitely, and don't feel you need to post comments or read regularly. On stories I follow - some I lurk, too, and some I comment faithfully on - that's the way it goes.

because I want SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO badly to see Obi-Wan and Siri finally be together. You are a wonderful writer and I believe this is your best work ever, and I really, really, really hope you will complete it.

Obi-Wan & Siri are working their way together, indeed. Thank you for the wonderful compliment, and I hope to avoid any dry spells like before. I've just fought my way through one for a future chapter, so I'm crossing fingers. Hopefully Jedidas3 will find some time in her life to help me through any rough patches as they arise - she truly saved me several times in the original, but right now she's busy, busy, busy with DRL.

Lolly_Tolly: While I occasionally wonder how some aspects of my story will be received, I've pretty much decided to post what the muse dictated, for better or worse.

Charie: Not to fear, I had you marked you down to continue per your prior notes. Don't worry about posting or not - I was just getting a bit worried because it seemed so many people dropped off the planet at once - the emotional climax of WTHH seemed to fall flat with a dull thud and I thought I ran everyone out of town. ;)

General_Kenobi_66 please, don't get discouraged To do my best Han Solo impression: Hey, it's me! [face_batting]

I go through cycles, you may have already noticed. This fall DRL pulled me in several directions and I allowed myself to indulge in a fit of discouragement - I've literally devoted most evenings and a fair amount of weekends for over a year to this story and I needed an excuse for a breather. I do tend to immerse myself in things and then - wham - blow it off for a while just to get some breathing room.

So, with some lovely Oct weekends (surprise!) I've been hiking in the larches and maples and thinking of non-Star Wars stuff for a while - like this: [image=http://mtnlover.smugmug.com/photos/391936314_YpzwA-S.jpg] (Oct 12, Blue Lake at N Cascades Highway, approximately 5000' elevation)

So, I'm back and posting on a regular schedule again...feeling good and getting back to speed.

@};- Chapter 4. Uncomfortable Realities, Difficult Choices@};-

?Obi-Wan!? The Jedi turned to see Mace Windu behind him. ?I was just on my way to visit you.? Falling into step with Mace, Obi-Wan waited for the older Jedi to speak.

?I?ve spoken with Yoda.?

?Ah. Mace, I should have asked you ??

The Korun Master waved off Obi-Wan?s words. ?If you were going to apologize, don?t. We both know you knew that Yoda would speak to me about your battle with that mask; that conversation with the healers didn?t need to be turned into a spectator sport. Obi-Wan,? here the Jedi unexpectedly hesitated. He dropped a hand on his companion?s arm for a moment before withdrawing it, an unusual visible sign of concern.

?I?m fine, Mace.? Mistaking the cause, Obi-Wan was quick to reassure the older man.

?I know.? Even more rare a sight than hesitation, a smile blossomed forth, only to quickly disappear as the Jedi threw a speculative glance at his colleague. ?Which means now I wonder if we should have a little talk about you raising your voice to me??

?My ? oh!? Obi-Wan stared at Mace; then shook his head, chagrined. ?So, Temple gossip reached even you. Do I need to apologize ? I?m afraid I?m fuzzy on that.? Utter exhaustion had overtaken him once the euphoria of returning to the Temple had worn off. He remembered his arrival, his initial evaluation by the healers ? and little more. He vaguely recalled Mace sitting by his side when he first woke, of fighting tears and laughter both, and the hand that had offered him a tis

2. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    Go, Mace! You tell 'im! We all knew Obi-Wan had it in him to be the best. :) :p

Oh! Story time! :D

Thanks for the PM!

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    ?I?ve loved her for years,? Obi-Wan said simply. ?Buried it so deep I didn?t know it still existed ? until it was all I had to hold onto. I?ll deal with it, but I won?t give it up, Mace.?

?I?m not asking you to give it up, Obi-Wan.? He wasn?t, either, to his surprise. ?Neither of you are kids and both of you are utterly devoted to the Force; that?s not going to change. Even I see that. For all I know, the Force itself may have endorsed this rather unorthodox method of healing. Yoda seems to think so. So, make any decisions you make guided by the Force, not your heart or your mind or by what you think the Order requires.?

Well Mace you've jumped up a notch in my eyes. You're a good friend
    to your friends Padawan.[face_dancing]

A very interesting talk they had. Listen to him Obi. Don't give up loving Siri.[face_love]

On another note: So that's why I couldn't get on the boards. A melt down!! I thought my computer didn't like Star wars anymore. It wouldn't open no matter what I did.8-}

=D=

4. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Very nice conversation. Interested in seeing where this goes next.

5. smoke20ts

smoke20ts Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    I have finally been able to catch up on the last three chapters. Please don't think that I have lost interest in this story. I had to have back surgery and that kind of limited my fanfic reading time.

Chapter 2

Mace looked at Yoda with a bit of curiosity, but decided to pursue it another time. ?So it seems you were right about Knight Tachi.?

?The Force, not I. A lesson it wished to remind Obi-Wan of, that one cannot just reach out to others but must accept as well the reach of others in turn. A field will yield crops only when fed itself. Replenishing he needed, too little he had left to give himself when he was the one in need.?

And a good lesson, indeed. You can only give so much of yourself without receiving from others.

?And care and attention, to be fair,? the senior Council member added. ?The boy seems to be growing up at last, putting someone else ahead of his own desires without complaint. It?s a shame that it took something this harsh to focus his attention, though I wonder?.,? he shook his head. ?I haven?t had a chance to visit Obi-Wan since that blasted fish dinner ? mark my words, I?ll find something suitable for young Skywalker ? get one of the mechanics to mess around with one of his droids, something.?

He leaned back in his seat, contemplating the thought until a light whack against his shin brought him upright to glare at Yoda.

?To his level do not descend.? After a pause, Yoda scratched an ear and blinked. ?However, good to see Obi-Wan laugh, it was ? better it was even than to see a certain outspoken Council member wide-eyed when faced by the reproachful eyes of his dinner. More laughs he needs. Yes, out do young Skywalker you should; enlist Obi-Wan to help you retaliate you should. Takes sides he does not ? aids and abets the both of you.?

?You are a meddling old troll, you know.? Mace eyed the gimer stick, drawing his ankles to one side.

?Meddling! Humph. A reason I have for all I do.?

I really love the banter between Yoda and Mace. I think that you have used the "pranks" to show a very human side of the Jedi (especially Mace) that is an intriguing addition to their personalities. Yoda seems to have a bit of mischief about him -- encouraging Mace to get Obi-Wan's help in retaliating.

Love, not just destiny, connected both men; love for each other and love for others challenged and strengthened both. Love would triumph, or love would destroy, but it was love or the fear of losing love that carved the destiny of each.

Deny it, pursue it, embrace it ? how each handled it would trigger shockwaves throughout the galaxy.

Anakin Skywalker already loved too well, too deeply, too blindly. His love was allowed freedom without restraint; he grabbed for love with single-minded purpose and held it tight. Love for those he held near and dear exceeded his love for those others.

Obi-Wan Kenobi had hidden love deep within for long years, not trusting it, for he had been taught that to love one above others was the path away from the Force and away from the love of all that was a Jedi?s compassion. Love for all exceeded his human heart?s needs.

Love of one and love of many ? how balance was found in the choices each man made would determine if the Force would as well. How each handled love would prove to be either salvation or destruction of all that both held dear. Not even a Force ghost knew the outcome; each choice as yet only narrowed the possible futures.

Wow! What a powerful passage -- showing just how opposite Obi-Wan and Anakin are in their approach to love and to the drastic difference in how the future of those they love could play out.

Chapter 3

?Nothing scares that woman, yet I?m not surprised. She cares for you, old man, and I mean more than just as one friend for another. Underneath that calm, cool and controlled exterior of hers, she really cares about you, and the way you?re behaving right now, I suspect you feel much the same, even if neither of you will ever admit it. I?m right, aren?t I??

The penetrating ga

6. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I love SiriWan! and it's so realistically done!

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Mace, it was just a fish.? [face_laugh][face_laugh] Pikes market?

?Of course not. Just be open ? to a possibly buried part of your nature. If it wishes to surface, accept it. That boy who felt everything deeply is still inside; integrate the man and the boy as well as the Jedi. Come away from the horror you went through with a deeper understanding and acceptance of the human side of you. Grow from one of the best Jedi in the Order to just about the best there is.?

Stunned, Obi-Wan could only stare at Mace.

He speaks truth, Padawan, listen. A Force ghost chuckled. For once Mace and I agree.

WOW what a beauty and will Obi-Wan listen to Qui-gon?
    Loved the entire discussion between Obi-Wan and Mace.

And what a beautiful picture.

8. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Wonderful chapter =D=

Mace blew out a breath. ?Qui-Gon Jinn always claimed that when he seemed to disregard the Council?s voice it was only because he heard instead the Force?s ? sometimes he was correct, yet sometimes he wasn?t, no matter what he claimed. You tried to pull him into line more than once.?
    [face_laugh] yeah, this sounds like Qui-Gon all right :p

?Not matter what façade we show the galaxy, being Jedi doesn?t and shouldn?t deny our nature. To not let our nature control us is why we control our emotions, even if the galaxy thinks we strive to eliminate them. We who are human are entitled to be human, as long as we remember we?re Jedi first. Not exclusively, but first. I never thought I?d ever be encouraging any Jedi to be selfish once in a while, but I am now. Don?t deny your feelings; I know you won?t let them get in the way of your duty. In this, listen only to the Force and act accordingly.?
    ?I can?t go against my nature, Mace.?
    ?Of course not. Just be open ? to a possibly buried part of your nature. If it wishes to surface, accept it. That boy who felt everything deeply is still inside; integrate the man and the boy as well as the Jedi. Come away from the horror you went through with a deeper understanding and acceptance of the human side of you. Grow from one of the best Jedi in the Order to just about the best there is.?

This was a great exchange between these two. Hopefully Obi-Wan can find it in himself to be open to trying to find that balance.:D

Oooh cant wait for next week. Sounds like it's gonna be a cute chapter. I just love Obi with the younglings [face_love]

Thanks so much for the pm :D

9. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    Amazing chapter, you characterized Mace really well. Thanks for the PM and please keep me on the PM list, I don't really have time to surf these boards anymore but I check in a few times a week for PMs and I really look forward to this story-it's one of the best ongoing ones out there.

10. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Another amazing post. =D= You really have Mace's character down. My friend, you continue to amaze me with your incredible talent and don't worry, I haven't gone AWOL...I'm still writing, but with everything going on, it's just a matter of finding the time. Thanks for all your support during this difficult time with my mom...you're the best![:D]

11. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    <i>?Of course not. Just be open ? to a possibly buried part of your nature. If it wishes to surface, accept it. That boy who felt everything deeply is still inside; integrate the man and the boy as well as the Jedi. Come away from the horror you went through with a deeper understanding and acceptance of the human side of you. Grow from one of the best Jedi in the Order to just about the best there is.? </i>

Awesome, awesome line. Great update!

Raptor517

12. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    I wish I could review more often, but with RL, I can't.

I love this story so far, as few chapters into it as it is. The discussion between Obi-Wan and Mace in particular had me nodding in agreement. The Code and its guidelines, have become so much the rule, and serious talk is needed about it. You're doing a fantastic job with it.

I look forward to the next chapter.

*goes back to lurking*

13. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    ?You?re going to help me with payback, Obi-Wan. I know you gave that idea to your padawan in the first place ? don?t bother to deny it.?

?Mace, it was just a fish.?

?A fish with eyeballs!? Mace glared as Obi-Wan tried to stifle a chuckle.
    [face_laugh]

I loved the entire conservation between Mace and Obi-Wan, who knew Mace had it in him to be so nice and thoughtful? [face_love]

And I loved the reminder at the end that Qui-Gon is still there, watching over Obi-Wan. [face_love]

14. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Sorry I'm running so late. RL has been more real of late and I'm coming to terms with it. Keep me on your PM list. I'll be reading and commenting when I can.

I liked Mace much more in this post than almost anywhere else. He seems to have mellowed enough to help Obi-Wan, even when his first inclination about the Order was to keep to the rules.

I think you did an excellent job of explaining how things are going to change - if they can, if they have time.

Great job.

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Lolly_Tolly: Story time indeed. I didn?t spend a lot of time on it, but I find it cute.

Gkilkenny: Mace is a good guy and a good friend in this story. Yeah, the boards had a melt down ? very frustrating and at the same time I was feeling a bit frustrated. Wonder if there was a relationship?[face_thinking]

MiralukaJedi: You?ll just have to read and find out.

smoke20ts Back surgery! I?d have sent you good thoughts had I known ? how?s the recovery going?

Jacen200015: Thank you, I'm never sure how realistic my romance comes across, so i just try to write two people edging into a change of their relationship, one gradual step and slow awareness dawning. It is much easier than action sequences, though.

earlybird-obi-wan: Obi-Wan is going to be a changed man from the one who left for Jabiim. His inner nature is going to be allowed to see the light of day, rather than remaining neatly tucked inside the cool, calm and collected Jedi exterior. What effect that will have on the Order, on Anakin, and the future is mine to know and yours to guess, though I have now spelled out the overarching concept that is governing the stories (explicitly so, not actually contemplated until recently until the muse told me the overarching theme).

veloz I just love Obi with the younglings And those scenes are so much fun to write, too, so I threw in a few more (by throw in, they do serve a plot purpose but were not originally intended).

JediMaster Jessica: Not a problem, at all. DRL can put a real cramp in one?s reading, can?t it?

Jedidas3 AWOL? Scoffs at that ? DRL has you tied up, and you call finding little time on the boards AWOL? DRL cames first, my friend, family comes first.

Raptor517: Glad you liked it. So now we?ve got Yoda, Mace and Qui all on board, Siri more than willing and Obi ? still not sure one can ?be Jedi? and ?love? both. Principles can be a big impediment for those who have them and I really, really, really want the readers to see any relationship they forego or embark on is morally sound within the context of their cultural mores.

LadyLunas Lurk as much as you like! Shall I send Obi & Ani to slay DRL?

Bastet: Mace is an old softie around his friends when he doesn?t have to keep up that persona. Most of the Jedi have this public face that?s a bit different from the inner being, well, the humans anyway. With aliens I?m not so sure.

Dianethx: The economy [face_devil] is a real drag on your plans, isn?t it? I feel for you, I do.

He (Mace) seems to have mellowed enough to help Obi-Wan, even when his first inclination about the Order was to keep to the rules. He?s a lot like Obi-Wan, both are traditionalists yet both are reasonable men ? they can be persuaded to another viewpoint given time and a good argument.

What?s funny is that dialogue where Mace quotes Yoda was originally written for Yoda to say to Obi-Wan some chapters later. I?m trying to ruthlessly excise lots of redundant scenes or dialogue, sometimes use snippets in other places if I see the need - and it's HARD.:_|

I hate, truly, truly hate, to excise stuff, but by walking away from sections I?m beginning to develop a better sense of perspective on what to jettison vs what to keep.

I?m majorly reworking one section that comes from an early draft that is needed in part for pacing issues, but has been addressed already.

So here we go with Obi and the Younglings - after a so-called action scene [face_talk_hand]

And, my fellow adult Americans [face_flag] - exercise your right to vote! Don't blame "them in charge" if you don't step up to the ballot box - you only get that right if you vote "for the other (non-gender specific) fellar." [face_laugh]

[face_flag] Chapter 5. A Sparring We Will Go [face_flag]

Obi-Wan was in no hurry to rise. He woke refreshed; another night free of nightmares and free of the gripping fatigue that had so plagued him. Today he wa

16. smoke20ts

smoke20ts Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    What a wonderful chapter!

The sparring scene was very well done. Once again you have shown how sometimes the smallest things will trigger a painful memory for Obi-Wan. It was interesting how he had Siri help him replace that "trigger" with a different memory.

My favorite part, though, was Obi-Wan's interaction with the younglings. I really like how you have portrayed Obi-Wan in his encounters with the children. You have shown him to have a very special relationship with them and he seems to be able to know just what they need. It was also wonderful that he used the telling of his captivity as a way of teaching the younglings. It also has to be healing for him.

Well done!

As for my surgery, it went well. My recovery is coming along, although I still have quite a few restrictions (no lifting, etc.). Hopefully, in a few weeks everything will be "back to normal" -- or at least as close to "normal" as I get.

17. Lincoln_6_Echo

Lincoln_6_Echo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2006
    Very nice chapter, so much it pushed me to leave my "lurker-mode".

I especially liked the scene with the younglings. The story was so moving, especially when the children replied in chorus "friends" at Obi-Wan's question. Beautiful.

And I saw that in this story there is the seeds of what it has been shown in the comics series "Obsession", Obi-Wan looking for Ventress in order to redeem her. I'm a big fan of 'comics' Asajj Ventress (among the other things I believe there is lot of potential for a pairing between her and Obi-Wan) and I'm already looking forward to seeing how the story will unfold in your capable hands...I'm surely running too far ahead, but I imagine Siri won't let Obi-Wan go alone in his quest to find Ventress...

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    wonderful and touching chapter
    seeing Obi-Wan sparring and the triggering of another memory.

And the tale he is telling the children with Siri and the crèchemaster listening.

Great

?He was just the friend I needed once, too, long ago, when I returned from an undercover mission ? my first as a knight. I needed him more than I knew, so I knew just how badly he needed me ? I?d do anything for him.?

[face_love]:*

19. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Very nice. Keep it up.

20. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    That story is totally cute! Lol at Obi having "bad manners".

I'm glad Obi realises it's too soon to be sparring... After he's done it. :p

Thanks for the PM!

21. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    "Not luck at all...you earned them." Awesome line!

And who doesn't love kids? They can make everything better.

Raptor517

22. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Aww this was a fantastic chapter =D=

I can just picture Obi-Wan and the younglings... i always had this idea that he was great with the kids, and this chapter made my idea come true...thanks! [:D]

23. amavia

amavia Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2008
    Obi's making the moves! Hehe... the kiss was my favorite part. :p

Hopefully Obi's beginning to loosen up a bit.

Awesome story, both this and the one before it. Can't wait for more!

24. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Aww, what a wonderful chapter, I enjoyed it very much. [face_love]

Only he would have recognized the look that crossed her face as guilt and understanding. She nodded once and faced the class.

Surprising him, she reminded the students that ?Master Kenobi has been through a terrible ordeal as you know, and ordinarily puts up a better fight.? She winked at him, and added, ?It usually takes a bit longer to defeat the esteemed Council member.?
    :p

Great sparring scene. And the story Obi told the younglings, awww. [face_love] I'm glad Obi had such a good friend to help him overcome his 'bad manners.' [face_love]

Looking forward to more! :D

25. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Just when he thought he was getting over it.[face_worried]

No, what surprised him was the panic that washed over him, the hot sizzle of a lightsaber blade teasing his throat with a pale face and blazing eyes behind it?he closed his eyes and swallowed the terrified cry stuck in his throat. Must everything remind him of ? he had left all that behind.

They all love Obi-Wan and with that many friends he will survive.[:D]

Wonderful.=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.