main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Tucson Fan Force Icon, Name, and Banner

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by big_boss_nass, Jun 18, 2009.

1. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    I just want to say that I was here when the Tucson Fan Force was first started and I didn't agree with the "Icon" and "Name" when they were first proposed and voted on. Since there are new members I thought I may post a new topic about this.

First the Icon. I think it's absoutly terrible, the Arizona Flag in the background with a Sandtrooper in the middle. First of all, the Sandtrooper is a guy that used to post on these boards but no longer does, so I don't think it belongs in that regard, besides being an ugly eye sore, that nobody wants under their username. I don't have photoshop and I don't make icons. However, if someone here does make icons, maybe they can design some new ones that we can all vote on. If not maybe we can enlist some help from someone in the Comms Forum. Agree? Disagree?

Second of all, Tucson is called the "Two Suns Fan Force" well if you ask me "Twin Suns Fan Force" sounds much better, or maybe even something completly different that we can all vote on. I know it's not a big deal, but still...

The Banner. I don't know who created the banner and I don't want to hurt any feelings but I am going to give my take on this as well. First off, I really like all of the Text that was used, Espically in the word "Tucson". However there is a big space between the T and the U for some reason and it's just weird to look at. The Tusken Raider and Luke look blurry and like they were just dropped on the Banner, they don't add any depth or detail. Also the SandCrawler is crushing the City. I was hoping maybe we could all design something and have someone that uses photoshop put it all together for us. Just an Idea.

Let me know what you think :)

2. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    big_boss_nass, what icon? Can you post or link to it? Yours is a Penguin under your username. I can't think of what Icon the TFF ever had associated to all members? usernames. Fun Fact: "Two Suns" was a PUN on the name Tucson. If you don't like it petition to alter or change it, anything can be done with a democratic vote.

3. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    The icon that you are talking about can be found on Vangarian. I don't know how to go about changing it, but I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to do. Nobody except Vangarian uses it, and he only recently made it so. If anyone has any ideas about what they want it to look like, I can see what I can do.

As Hal mentioned, the name is supposed to be a pun. Even though 'Twin Suns' sounds better, I have noticed that 'Two Suns' works better when you're talking about the group to people unfamiliar with all the nerdy details of Star Wars, namely, Tatooine's suns. They usually can pick up that Two Suns is a pun for Tucson, and so it's just easier than explaining about the name's origin.

I made the banner, and don't worry, I'm not offended. My original design didn't really have any of the Star Wars stuff, so when people asked me to geek it up, I did just plop a few things in there. I could try and spend more time on some of the images and try to make it look a liottle nicer around the edges. The Sandcrawler, well, I can take it out or move it somewhere else if anyone has any ideas. I *might* be able to fix the T ucson thing, but that's just how the word comes out in that font (notice that Two Suns is the same way).

Thanks for the input!

4. big_boss_nass

Nov 12, 2001
    If I remember correctly that Icon was made atleast 2-3 years ago. I just recently started posting again, after a long layoff (A year Plus, possibly longer) and that Icon was around then. This was when my friends, AoERat, DarthSpino, GrandAdmiral_Frank, and Admiral_JasterMereel were solid regulars to this board. Hmmm... Maybe I'm just losing my marbles!

Anyway, I know Two Suns is a pun on Tucson, I was a key member in putting this Fan Force together for the First and Second times, and I voted Nay when the name was proposed the second time. It's not really a big deal in the big picture, it's just a name after all.

This thread was created to basically see what the people of Tucson think, and if enough positive feed back is received call for a VOTE (Of no confidence :) )<--Geek at Heart

5. big_boss_nass

Nov 12, 2001
    Just threw this together with Paint real quick. Replace the Brown background with the Arizona State flag though. This is just a quick idea for a new icon.

[image=http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/821/66177575.jpg]

6. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    I personally like "Two suns" again as it easily is a pun for Tucson. Mike had made a post about the banner change a while back. That can easily be modified by vote of course.

I guess a name change could be done but we have things like a display banner, t-shirts and other things that already have the name on it. Anything can be brought up for vote per the charter and be voted on by qualifying official voting members per the charter.

I would also state that one of our biggest "icons" would be the Vader head that Dustin made a few years ago.

7. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I have to say I really like Two Suns, and as Chris said we also have to look at all the money that went into making the banner, business cards, t shirts.. we have a lot of stuff tied to this name.

I'd love to see different banners, though I like the one we already have, but more banners sound kewl.

8. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    I've always thought the name Two Suns was rather creative, but then I like puns (especially cheesy ones, because they are whey cool ;-)
    I will agree with Big Boss Nass, though, that the sandcrawler in the banner is crushing the city.