main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga Turning Into Myself (slight OT AU) - (Mon Mothma, Leia, others) - Thank you!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Shaindl, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Title: Turning Into Myself
    Author: Shaindl
    Timeframe: OT
    Characters: Mon Mothma, Leia, Rieekan, Luke
    Genre: Drama
    Summary: The OT from Mon Mothma's point of view, with a slight twist.
    Notes: Thanks to Peregrine7 for the PB on Shanobi's Plot Bunny Thread in the Fan Fiction Resource. Thanks also to obi_ew as always, for her patience and help in looking over different drafts of this story. How do you ever put up with me? [:D]

I actually have most of this one written already, so you should get regular updates. Wahoo! :D

Prologue

When the small, bedraggled woman with dead eyes and short, raggedly cut hair showed up alone at the headquarters of the Rebel forces on Kavod VI, Commander Carlist Rieekan sighed helplessly. She had the same demeanour so many others they took on had: silent, hopeless, desperate. He knew what she would end up being: another piece of cannon fodder for the Empire?s artillery, another person to get blown away as they waged their battle to reclaim freedom from the jaws of tyranny.

He wanted to turn her away, tell her to go back to whatever life she had left behind, but he was a realist ? had to be, as a member of the Alliance. He needed all the bodies he could get, even if they ended up being dead ones. Besides, when they showed up alone, with eyes as empty as hers, that generally meant that everyone that had ever meant anything to them was gone, destroyed by the Empire?s minions. There was nothing for them to go back to. The only way left for them to make their lives and the lives of their loved ones mean anything was to give them up in rebelling against their murderers.

He had given her the standard training, and she had gone through it robotically, never showing any flashes of brilliance, but not failing miserably either. She proved that she could handle a blaster competently, could move silently if need be, could drive most standard types of ships. To put it bluntly, she was as average as they came.

Rieekan had never bothered to learn her name. His standard practice was never to learn his recruits? names since it was likely they would be dead before long. He was positive this one would turn out the same way. It was a shame, he reflected, a nice, ordinary woman shouldn?t be forced to fight a war that had been thrust on them by a despot and his lapdog. She should be at home, wherever that was, with a husband, a family, a job, and a nice home. Her biggest worry should have been what to order for dinner.

But instead, she was there on Kavod VI, so he assigned her to a squad that was going out to raid an Empire supply depot. It was a relatively easy mission; they had good intelligence that the depot was lightly defended. He was vaguely glad he could give her an easy one. The Alliance liked to do that where they could for the newest recruits. If they could make it through their first mission without freezing up, chances were better they would make it through their second.

Always assuming, of course, they survived the first mission.

The first word he had that something had gone drastically wrong was when his comm beeped in the middle of his sleep cycle. Blinking sleep out of his eyes, he had reached for the little device on the small table beside the bed.

?Commander Rieekan.?

?Sir, you need to get down here. We have wounded coming in.?

He cursed ? a particularly virulent Hutt curse he?d learned from a down-on-her-luck Twi?lek on Corellia ? and dressed hastily. Five minutes hadn?t passed before he stood in the entry to the base.

What he saw astounded him.

The small, stunningly average, startlingly bedraggled woman that he had met and not gotten to know, stood just outside the hatch, calmly giving orders to the other people sent on the raid like a seasoned general as she covered their retreat. His young, but practiced, eyes could see that they were retreating in an orderly, precise and quick manner under her orders, those who were still mobile helping or carrying those who weren?t. As he watched, the woma

2. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    oops, sorry. it just sortof popped out. :D

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Great start my dear! Eagerly look forward to seeing where you take this. And no need to thank me. You more than return the favor on countless occasions. :)

4. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Brillaint start I loved how you transformed her from ordinary to extraordinary. Eagerly awaiting more

5. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Hey, what a start to come back from Norway to! :D Great going Shaindl and hope to see more soon. *hint hint*

It was a brilliant bunny and I'll be very interested to see where you go with it. :)

Nem :)

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Excellent. I loved that she changed as she was needed. With fire in her eyes and a blaster in each hand. Wonderful. Great AU

7. Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina Jedi Master star 3

Jul 4, 2002
    Ooh, you sucked me right in with that prologue. :) I'm excited to see where you take this!

8. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    This one's going to be good, I can already tell. Looking forward to more; much, much more!

9. Starrunner

Starrunner Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2003
    Nice start, like the idea.
    I've read some Fanfics that make Mon Mothma the bad guy. It's nice to see a different side of the story.

10. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Interesting little bunny :)

11. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Hey everyone!

I forgot in my author's notes to tell you when I'd be posting. (Too funny! I have a posting schedule, which, if you know me, has never happened before. :p). Look for new posts on Wednesdays and Sundays.

jacen - that's okay - thanks for changing it. :)

OE - I feel like I should almost credit you as my co-writer - you've looked at this almost as much as I have! :p

Hanahiah - thanks! Sometimes all it takes is one thing for a person to snap.

Nem! - [:D] I've missed you! Hiding yourself in Norway were you? I could think of worse places to hide. ;) Not much in the way of waiting this time, unless I get to the end of the written posts, and I still haven't figured out how to end the bloody thing. :D

Diane - thanks! We do what's needed at the time or die trying, don't we? I think that's what it came down to for Mon.

Mina - I am so very glad to see you back on these boards. :) I hope you enjoy my work as much as I've enjoyed yours. For all of you who might read this, if you haven't read Mina's story [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=12915860]Hajji's Children[/link], you're missing a very special piece of writing.

AnakinsHeir - you can already tell? Uh oh, talk about pressure! :D I hope I can deliver.

Starrunner - really? I can't say I've seen any stories where Mon Mothma is the villain. You can rest assured she won't turn into one here. Thanks for reading!

PK - thanks for reading!

New post up on Sunday, as advertised. :D

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    I guessed it had been Mon Mothma from the serenity thing, either her or a very AU Leia. THis was a fantastic start.

13. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    DarthIshtar - thanks so much! Hope you continue to enjoy! :)

And on to the next chapter!

PART 1

Chapter 1

It was black and red where she was, the middle of her vision painted in a bloody red while the edges of her sight were ringed in black. The suffocating colours surrounded her, while a harsh, artificial breathing filled the air. She clawed at the haze in front of her, trying to rip the indestructible cloth, trying to get through to whatever lay on the other side, her every instinct telling her that whatever it was, it was important, necessary, vital?

With a gasp, Mon Mothma jerked upright, ripped from sleep as she usually was at least once or twice a week. The nightmares had been coming for as long as she cared to remember, and she had her post-dream routine down to a science. She swung her feet over the side of her narrow bed, her mind already working at the problem of what lay behind the red veil she always saw. It had been a long time since she had grasped that the breathing was Darth Vader; she heard it often enough in the official dispatches their slicers managed to intercept.

What she had never managed to figure out was what was on the other side of the red haze. Nor had she figured out if it was important and vital to her or to the Rebellion or both. Part of her hoped to someday figure it out. Another part hoped she never did.

Sighing and putting the dream out of her mind once more, she pulled on some clothes and ran a brush through her short hair. She wrinkled her nose at her hairstyle ? in truth, she hated it short, but it was easier to fight a war with it like it was.

Forgetting about her hair, she left her room and headed for the Command Centre. The doors slid open after she punched in her access code, and she acknowledged the quiet greetings of the night watch with a quick smile and nod. She made her way to the centre of the room and the watch captain.

The man snapped a quick salute to her, which she waved away. ?I?ve told you before I don?t want to be saluted.?

Rohde Uff grinned. ?Know that, ma?am.?

?And my name?s Mon.?

?Know that too.?

She arched an eyebrow at him, sensing there was more to this conversation than she knew. ?So???

?So?s I have orders from a different source.? He grinned again, assured of their friendship since the first day he had served under her command almost twenty years before. ?You?d best be talkin? to General Rieekan.?

?Really.?

?Yes?m. Ma?am.?

?I?ll get you for this, Rohde.? She turned and started to leave. ?After I get him.?

He laughed. ?Yes, ma?am.?

?Mon!? She called over her shoulder, smiling when she heard his deep laugh before the closing door cut it off.

Smiling faintly, she strode towards the mess hall. It was another part of the routine; the first part being her stop at the Command Centre, where she knew all was well because they hadn?t told her anything. The second part was to grab a cup of kaf from the kitchen that was always open for the nocturnal members of the Alliance and for restless souls like herself. It always pained her that there seemed to be more of the latter than the former.

Soft conversation filled the hall, many of the people who found their way there needing the reassurances of friendly faces and talk. She grabbed a cup, intending to find a quiet corner to sip and think.

She was stopped when someone called her name, and she smiled as she turned. Her closest friend in the Alliance since almost the first day she had worked under his command, Carlist Rieekan was still the one she turned to when she needed somebody. He was tall, dark-haired, although much of it was silver now, had an easy smile that always seemed to pop up at times it shouldn?t ? a fact that always made her laugh at times she shouldn?t ? and had a way of instilling confidence when hers was flagging. Theirs was a friendship based on trust and support, and she knew there was no way she would have made it through a war this long without his constant presence. Nights like these

14. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Oh! The situation grows serious. Love her banter with Rieeken. Great job! :)

15. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Great work on the dialogue with Rieekan and on the dream - very creepy. :) And here I was hoping you'd finally gotten off that darned cliffie habit :p

16. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Nemmy- maybe she needs to try that new kick the habit gum I've heard advertised "cliffie be gone"

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Loved the dream, have my own interpretation of the elements, but that might just be because I have a Literary Analysis class on tuesdays and spent the morning arguing about symbols. Love "the emperor wears combat boots" and the believability of the situation.

18. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Nemmy- maybe she needs to try that new kick the habit gum I've heard advertised "cliffie be gone"

PK, I smell a new ad for ATFF :p

It's Wednesday . . . I am here.

*waits*

19. Hananiah

Jan 15, 2003

Great update, the banter between the guard and Mon was really well done, I can't wait to see what you've got coming next.

20. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    OE - thanks for keeping me going on this. You're the best. [:D]

Nem - I think the cliffie habit is genetic. You might want to be checked out for it yourself. :p

PK - never been much of a gum chewer myself...

Ish - thanks so much. I'd hoped to get across the grittiness of their situation as well as the attempt to find humour where they can would come through. I hope it worked for you. :)

Hanahiah - I like Rohde. I might have to find a place for him later on too. Hope you continue to enjoy!

And Wednesday's post...sorry if it's up too late for you today, Nem! :D

Chapter 2

?And what do you think, Mon Mothma??

She looked from one person to the next, trying to choose her words carefully and trying to put her dream from her mind. The redness of it still hazed her mind, the breathing seeming to echo underneath the words flying around the room as they tried to decide their next step.

It was a sombre group that sat around the old, scarred table in the cramped room they had grandiosely dubbed the ?war room?. Heated argument had subsided into desperate silence, and they stared at the walls, the table, their hands ? anything to avoid looking at each other. The decision still had to be made and they were waiting for the last voice to weigh in with her opinion.

The Tantive IV had been attacked, boarded, and most of her crew killed. Those that weren?t killed had been taken prisoner; most around the table privately thought the dead ones were luckier. They wouldn?t have known, had one of the spies they had buried in the Empire?s hierarchy not been able to get a message off.

Not that it mattered. They were still bereft of some of their soldiers ? not to mention one of their finest young leaders and the plans she was bringing back with her.

After the shock of the initial news of Leia?s capture and the deaths of so many of their personnel, they had settled to the task of deciding what to do. They had gambled a lot on this mission after suffering many defeats and losses. This one eclipsed them all, and they knew it threatened to destroy the Alliance. The quiet start had soon escalated into loud voices provoked by the near hopelessness of the situation.

?We must attack now! That battle station will be operational soon!? Riekaan argued.

?We do that without the plans, and we risk everyone being blown apart!?

?We risk that now! If we wait too long then we will have lost our chance to ever strike a blow against the Empire.? Another commander countered.

?Now that they have Leia, they?ll know we?re coming. It will be a massacre!?

?We?ll be massacred anyways. Better to go down fighting than running like scared children!?

And so it had gone, one side declaring the need to hole up and wait for a better day to strike at the Empire, the other vocal in their opinion that they had reached the point where they had to attack or never have another chance.

Mon had stayed out of the debate as the chair of the meeting, only stepping in when the discussion grew too heated. She tried to be as gentle as she could; the emotions and tension at the table were running at an all time high, even for the trained, competent and usually cool commanders of the Rebellion.

So far, she was glad that she had been able to stay out of the conflict ? her own emotions were running violently rampant. Her negotiating skills had always been good, mostly due to the fact that she could usually see both sides of the argument. That was the case here. She understood the fears of the people who did not want to attack, the furious logic of the people who wanted to go after the Empire now. She had cherished an idle hope that one of the people around the table would bring an irrefutable argument for one side or the other. But she knew very well what she thought, and it was unworthy to hope that someone would take the responsibility of leadership away from her. She waited for the inevitable call for a response.

When it came, she wasn?t surprised when it was the cr

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, if you want grittiness, you've definitely captured it! Fantastic post.

22. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Very powerful scene my dear. Very powerful. :D It's very enjoyable to see this different view of the canon events. * settles in to wait patiently for Sundays posty*

23. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    I don't usually read much of the OT, but this is holding my attention.

24. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    "She would say ?what the hell are you all waiting for, you scruffy bunch of nerfherders???

That is so Leia. [face_laugh]

Very good postie - love the interaction between MM and Rieekan, again. Great work!

Nem :)

PS Cliffie syndrome? Me? :p

25. Hananiah

Jan 15, 2003
    nice new perspective and gives depth to Mon and to the rest of the characters. I especially like how Leia is described since she seems to have everyone's respect at a young age. I feel sorry for Mon to have to make such tough decisions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.