main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Tusken Raiders (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 29, 2021.

1. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    Each to their own, I liked it. In fact, the expansion of Tusken culture was one of my favorite things that Mando/BOBF borrowed from KOTOR and that was one of the best parts of that game.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I just like certain species to be a mystery, like the jawas still is and we don't know mutch of their culture.

3. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    It's actually problematic to portray indigenous cultures as something mysterious that can't be understood. That's the colonizer's POV and is based on the assumption that the "Other" is inherently irrational and therefore it's justifiable to destroy them.

4. S. Raw Rats

S. Raw Rats Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2021
    I'm pro fleshing out the tuskens, but I can understand wanting literal aliens to remain somewhat weird and mysterious.

I only care for live-action SW as well, but what harm is there in incorporating stuff from other sources? I have always wanted the live-action "universe" to be as rich as the other mediums.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  5. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Mystery can be fun to a point when it's serving a constructive narrative purpose. But it's also easily misused when utilized to represent different cultures. What culture appreciates being represented as weird and potentially threatening? Inability to understand something leads to what many have described as the primary effects of the sublime: fear and terror.

These effects are enjoyable to a point, but if framed as an inherently unsolvable mystery, a Thing can become a projection of our worst fears, and a threatening object.

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I can see Boba becoming the leader of the tribe.

This tribe is considerably different from the Tuskens that live in the Dune Sea, they've got a moisture farmer living nearby, there's no way anyone would live near the Dune Sea Tuskens.

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    TBOBF Tuskens do live in the Dune Sea; the Northern Dune Sea. But they are nomadic, like all Tuskens, so don't live near anywhere in particular.

8. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Does Boba change his white jumpsuit to a black one because of this Tusken tribe?

Will this tribe live on? Do they get attacked by the "civilised" lot?

I thought the long-haired Tusken was an awesome and a great scene. I thought "she" was female at first but wasn't sure. But now gonna go with it as a female warrior because of the stunt performer's gender and that's another cool element. The leader called upon the best warrior to teach Boba another lesson in the hierarchy of respect.

Also, was one of the tributes given to Boba a Wookiee pelt? Yeesh!

9. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Given to him by a Trandoshan, which is a great little detail and nod to other sources. Much like the Krayt dragon pearl, it isn’t super important but I really appreciate that degree of attention.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The BOBF Tusken costumes were so incredibly cool.

11. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Being in different coloured robes though, I was half expecting one to pull out a light sabre and us all to go phwoar!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    I didn't know of any other way to quickly differentiate between them, The Tuskens in TBOBF are camped near to a moisture farm, near enough the kid heard the swoop gang raiding it, yet have made no aggressive moves towards the farm themselves. This is different behaviour to those Tuskens from the CT and PT, they would've raided the moisture farm and taken what they wanted long before a swoop gang could.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    They weren’t camped that close to the moisture farm. Kid Tusken walked for a pretty long while before getting there. But still, likely not that far.

14. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Close enough he heard the swoop gang, noise carries a long way in the desert at night but it was daytime... these Tuskens just seem different, we don't know why they were holding the Rhodian either. Do they incorporate prisoners into their tribe?

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No, the Tusken kid walked for a very long time before arriving at the dune ridge where he hears the swoop gang noise. The Tusken camp was nowhere in sight at that point. Take a look at the sequence again.

RetropME and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  16. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Yes you're right about hearing it when they get closer, they see smoke rising above the dunes from around the same time, though there really isn't an indication on the exact distance they travel. The may have walked a mile, two miles or ten miles... could Boba walk further? I doubt Boba burnt and weakened would be able to walk as far as ten miles under those suns.

The other thing I noticed was the similarities to A Man Called Horse, the Tusken's treat Boba similar to how the Sioux treat the Richard Harris character, It just gives me the indication that these Tusken's aren't like the Tusken's we've seen before, in AOTC the Tusken's tortured Shmi to death.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Had they been close to the camp, the ruckus with the sand monster likely would’ve attracted the camp’s attention. So it was at least far enough away for loud noises not to reach camp. And loud noises can travel a very long way in a generally empty desert.

Sarge likes this.
  18. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    The 'other' Tuskens took Shmi prisoner. Different tribes have different ways of doing things, Din Djarin has no issues with them at all, perhaps because he is a traveller and not a settler?

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's true. During Desert Storm I heard a SCUD missile hit in the desert on a very quiet, still morning, maybe an hour after sunrise. Judging by the noise of the boom, I would have guessed it hit a quarter of a mile away. Found out later it missed us by four miles.

20. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Depends on wind direction, dunes can mask sound too just like hills and valley's.

Good point, Djarin was incredibly friendly though could his appearance, Mando armour and all, have made a difference?

21. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    The only thing needed to be kept a mystery is what the Tusken Raiders look like underneath those masks. But everything else about them has been expanded in Legends and to a lesser extent, Canon. Such as the whole Krayt Dragon relationship and why they're very hostile to farmers.

Honestly, the major problem in Star Wars during the old days is that if one alien acts a certain way, then they all act like this. Take note of how the Hutts are all gangsters because of Jabba. Thus, it makes sense to give the Tusken Raiders various set of tribes and customs.

S. Raw Rats, Sarge and Lulu Mars like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Also, their burning hatred of racers who participate in the Boonta Eve Classic.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I agree. As much as I liked the WEG SW RPG, they often looked at aliens through tunnel vision. Greedo was a bounty hunter, so Rodians must be a race of bounty hunters. :rolleyes: I'm sure that kind of stereotyping made things easier for newbies to RPG's but I like a lot more nuance and variety than that.

24. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Nah... I think they just used the racers for target practice.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  25. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Can't remember where it was being discussed (as there are far too many TBOBF threads) but the things that have water/milk in them;

"They're black melons that grow in the Jundland Wastes. When you crack them open, there's milk inside. It tastes horrible, but it's safe to drink."
    ―Ben Kenobi