main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Tusken Raiders (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Oh, I get it. No need to get your panties in a bunch over this. I'm not locked into "Tuskens are evil." The Tuskens in The Mandalorian were not seen doing anything bad. Yes, the Pykes were obviously evil too. Torturing and enslaving people are evil acts. Boba and the rodian slave did not slaughter Tuskens, but that's what the Tuskens did to them. Cliegg nor Shmi slaughtered Tuskens, but they tortured her to death. There is no nuance that changes that. A dance around a fire doesn't change that. I think you're misguided if you take this to be some glowing portrayal of real world indigenous people. It is said that the other Tusken tribes survived by killing.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    No need to get your panties in a bunch over this. Major projection going on in this statement. Take a deep breath kid.

I can't tell if this is flying too far over your head or if you are just "arguing to win" no matter what, but...

[​IMG]

3. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    We know next to nothing about Cliegg, really. Nor do I think we're likely to.

I think it'd be a really cool bit of worldbuilding if we were to learn about the various Tusken tribes. As much as we see Tatooine in media, we really don't know much about it or ever really explore it beyond the same few locations.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    GregMcP likes this.
  4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope at some point we get a Cliegg's leg cameo at some Tusken tribe camp.

S. Raw Rats, B3, LedReader and 2 others like this.
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It better be before we get smell-vision, it's going to be gangrenous and rotting.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It should be in a Kenobi episode...

...Where he "gets it," because he has a... similar hobby...

7. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    It's a semantics argument. Was it evil for Michael Corleone to kill his brother? Certainly Michael Corleone was victimized by the family he was born into, the corrupt police, and other dangerous people in his life. He was acting out in revenge when he did that. Seems to me like your take essentially says there is no such thing as good or evil, because you rationalize it with an explanation. I would venture to bet that almost all evil can be traced back to some perceived victimization of the perpetrator. Doesn't mean it's not evil. Also, taking revenge, in my experience, is not simply just the way things always go.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  8. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    There is pain and desire when it comes to revenge. Good and evil, however, are dependent on the choice of acting upon it or not acting upon it. And really, true evil is when the person has a complete understanding of what is right and wrong, and yet still choose to do the wrong thing.

9. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    That's why a lot of people make excuses for their actions

10. Logray'sBirdHat

Logray'sBirdHat Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 12, 2022
    The Nikto biker gang taking them out seemed a little...odd to me, in terms of consistency with the previous episode. Like sure, guess we have no gauge on the actual numbers of the gang, the Tosche station drunks could have been just a breakoff segment of a greater whole and they came after the tuskens in huge numbers later. Fair.

But we don't get much of a sense of all that, they've been presented as pretty smalltime outlaw hooligans so far. And coming right after an episode showcasing just how badass even this less-warlike tribe of tuskens can be, felt a little odd. You wouldn't figure the swoop bikers would have much of a weapons advantage - the tuskens have their cycler rifles, and Boba made a big deal of all the "you have machines now too" stuff last week with the bikes. On top of all that, surely the survivors at Tosche reported back it was a human who kicked their asses there and stole their rides, right? Guess there could be a time jump, Niktos have witnesses a bunch of sandpeople out there riding around on speeders, but it just felt a little half-baked within the episode.

Not a huge thing, kinda rubbed me the wrong way though. And the freakin' Pyke syndicate of all people even seeing the Nitkos as a concern and worthy of paying off...the Pykes - I mean, damn. Especially with all the backup muscle we're shown they have on-call at the end there. All the politics power dynamics of Tatooine as a whole have felt pretty iffy & inconsistent to me overall though, guess I'm nitpicking it too much.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    MrDarth0 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  11. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    The Pykes are racist and clearly humiliated at the thought of paying money to a “less civilized” species like the Tuskens. I wouldn’t be surprised if they BS the whole payment deal to Boba Fett just to give him a scapegoat and not actually pay. The Pykes do have the resources and motive to kill the Tuskens.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  12. Logray'sBirdHat

Jan 12, 2022
    I meant why are they paying the Niktos?

This is the Pykes, one of the giant prime mafia families in the galaxy, they've been presented as nothing but big-time and pretty vicious/ruthless by nature. Running huge slaving rings and all.

They're on-world with armed freight trains and landing giant cruise ships full of dudes in Espa. It's a full expeditionary force looking to get a foothold on Tatooine, not some little recon mission with no muscle behind it.

Forget Boba & the Tuskens for a second. They've been paying the little swoopbike gang of Niktos protection up until now. Boba commanding their attention a little more makes sense: he headed up a raid that took down their freighttrain, and was decent enough to spare every one of the damn dirty space-crack-dealers aboard so long as their bosses agreed to pony up some regular dough.

Okay. Going forward that makes sense.

But why's a giant Hutt-equivalent (probably way more powerful than the Hutts by this point in the timeline, actually) syndicate paying off a little local 1%er gang of bar-brawlers? It just feels like none of this Tatooine stuff has really been thought through. If the Pykes want Tatooine, surely they were expecting some resistance even in the wake of Jabba being dead for a few years. They're not prepared to squash the local few-dozen-strong Hell's Angels chapter? Some cartel, huh?

13. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    It really depends on the size of that gang I think. If they are big enough than paying them off might actually be cheaper than investing the resources to squash them. Sure the Pykes cut probably pull it off but as long as they aren't asking for too much protection money paying them and keeping them on retainer as local muscle might just be cheaper than moving troops in and fighting it out with them. To quote the Twins from last episode "War is bad for business".

Shadao likes this.
  14. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    A lot of it is assuming the Pykes are telling the truth and not lying to Boba Fett. Pykes would pay small gangs money to cover their tracks of genocide. After all, better to have Boba pit against these smaller biker gangs than plotting to destroy the Pykes.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Or they want both eliminated and so just played them against each other.

16. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    True. But the fact still remains, the Pykes are clearly not in the gutter as seen in the present day considering their legion landing on Mos Espa. So it's clear they have no reason interest in paying the Tuskens anything other than a massacre. They would have to be really desperate to do otherwise.

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    May be the Pykes have gotten a little overstretched during the flashback period, they started paying the Nikto's before Boba had trained the Tusken's into becoming a serious threat to their spice operation as it was easier. By the time we get to the later time period they've either increased their strength, believe Boba's a serious enough threat they need reinforcements or elsewhere they're no longer overstretched throughout the Outer Rim.

LedReader and Sarge like this.
  18. Logray'sBirdHat

Jan 12, 2022
    Yeah, them lying to Boba in the meeting makes sense I guess, they're certainly the type.

It just feels weird. Taking pot-shots at the Tuskens every time they passed by felt more like just the Pykes are ***holes to me, not them worried about the tuskens potentially taking the train and the cargo. Likewise a few unemployed former-Jabba-goons on swoops just seems like they'd be worth the brief (inevitably victorious) tussle with rather than paying them beer money once a month.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This is actually one of the more realistic elements of the show. They're paying the Niktos to do the small-time dirty work of keeping the Tuskens out of their way. The Pykes are way too galactically powerful to bother with that kind of work. So they pay some biker low-lifes to do it.

Shadao likes this.
  20. Logray'sBirdHat

Jan 12, 2022
    I get that cartels will occasionally pay a biker gang for thoroughfare through their territory, not wanting to bother with them. It just seems strange in this instance. Paying off the local tribe who're in cahoots with a galaxy-renowned bounty hunter who's just wrecked your **** is one thing. But, as you say, the Pykes are big bads, and until Boba shows up they didn't seem to be having much problem with the tuskens - a few pot-shots from the train was enough to keep them at bay. The Pykes have their own muscle.

Doesn't seem like the Niktos were representing anyone, Fortuna or Hutts or whoever else. Some Nikto biker guy shows up in Eisley demanding protection payment if the Pykes want to do trade on Tatooine, sort of seems like something the Pyke grunts on that train could handle.

They're paying dues to the Tuskens due to Boba demanding it in the wake of a raid Boba organized/facilitated. I doubt the Tuskens could get one red cent out of them if Boba hadn't come on the scene. Surely the Niktos aren't wielding a big negotiation stick like that, they're punks.

21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The Niktos may have simply threatened to disrupt the Pyke trade routes themselves. And the Pykes responded with "Forget that. We'll pay you a nice sum instead. All you gotta do is keep the Tuskens away from our trains."

And we don't know that the Pykes shooting from the trains is enough. The implication in the Chief's tent was that there were other more aggressive Tusken tribes out there. If the Pykes pay a small sum to keep the Nikto gang and the Tuskens away from their routes, why not?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  22. Logray'sBirdHat

Jan 12, 2022
    Because you're a gigantic evil gangster/slaver syndicate trying to establish dominance on the planet and you have the means & muscle to just kill them all?

Guess it's probably an 'agree to disagree' thing at this stage though, no point in us going around in circles over it.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    However... any resolution to who actually torched the camp is conspicuously absent so far. All there was as evidence was a well known, easy to replicate symbol painted on a tent. This may be a case of "Stormtroopers framing Sand People".

Riv_Shiel, Shadao, B3 and 2 others like this.
  24. Logray'sBirdHat

Jan 12, 2022
    Hm, hadn't even thought of that. Yeah, guess framing the Niktos is a possibility. Tend to think it'll be as we assume on face value, but sure, could theoretically be some Crimson Dawn type shenanigans trying to use Boba against the Pykes too.

godisawesome likes this.
  25. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It feels a bit like we might be overestimating how mighty many of these syndicates are - it feels like even the Pykes combined with Black Sun and the Hutts, the Shadow Collective only really had the numbers for one false-flag operation outside their traditional territories, and were outmuscled by a small sect of Mandalorian terrorists even before submitting to their rule. Which kind of makes sense; an intergalactic crime organization is still mostly going to prey on vulnerable civilians but must spread across hundred of worlds (at minimum).

The Pykes sending a few dozen guys at most to Tatooine might be their upper limit of manpower for an aggressive expansion - most of their muscle will always be occupied holding on to territory across the Galaxy.

Paying off a local biker gang or the Tuskens for enforcement duties might just be better logistics... and they might just feel more insulted at the Tuskens for being "less advanced."

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Shadao likes this.