main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TV] Stargate Atlantis

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by TK-4752, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    Oooo. I like.

A lot of potential. It's kinda like starting over, but with a different story arc, and a bigger budget.

Minor Star Wars reference was funny..."We come from a galaxy far, far away..."

Although, taking the best parts of Star Trek (Scotty and Bones) and smushing them into 1 character might prove fatal...especially since they gave him an inferiority complex -- he should be crazy, insane, and overconfident.

I won't drop any spoilers concerning the actual episode, though. :D

EDIT: Added classification tag...

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I like the Scotty/Bones hybrid. He's got sex appeal :D

3. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I did not realize Scotty and/or Bones, or even a hybrid of the two, could possibly have sex appeal.

4. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    Maybe it's the accent, bad jokes, and the frazzledness. Chicks dig that. ;)

:D

At one point, though, he did actually say, "I'm a doctor, not a..." LOL. [face_laugh]

5. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    Ok let's see if i can remember how to do that spoiler thing...
    Ok i really liked this new series. i agree it seemed like there was a bigger effects budget. the gate was very cool...ok the wraiths were freaking scary. much scarier then the Goa'uld. I also enjoyed the stargate out in orbit around the wraith's homeworld. it was more like a space adventure then just a regular stargate adventure. if that made any sense. i did notice they made the one doctor a little less annoying. The one that always hit on sam, i sort of liked him annoying, i hope that they keep his charater true to who he was on SG1. Just my opinion.
    Ok if anyone missed it and/or needs a copy of last week's SG1, let me know.

Mac i got you covered don't worry about it...:)

ok have a great monday.

6. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I liked it. The Wraith do seem like really bad baddies. Hard to kill and mean as can be. The sets look great, although some of the CG and compositing was really bad.

There is NO WAY he stopped that ship when he zoomed thru the gate. He would have smashed the whole place to kingdom come.

I thought the cast had good chemistry which is quite important. The real question is how long can you carry the story line. At least once a season they are going to have the "Try to get home" episode. And it will never work. From time to time you may get the "Earth sent someone new through to us" episode. I hope they just put it all on the back burner and look at it as a colonisation opportunity and start enjoying the adventure.

I've got median hopes for this. It's going to be hard to keep the interest. Hopefully the writers have some good ideas.

7. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    Hey-you might want to say you are posting spoilers...some have yet to see it. :)

8. COS_Vader

COS_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Anyone else think this is kinda "Time Tunnel-ish". I always liked that show and hope they just do it better than Voyager did.

I liked the military uniforms, but hate the new "Galaxy Quest" ones. Dunno. Maybe they'll grow on me. ;)

9. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    thank you kevin,
    i was trying to place those. :) he he they did look like galaxy quest...he he he

10. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Yeah. The weird Galaxy Quest uniforms are a bit odd.

And the show DID seem a LITTLE like Voyager, but only in the "lost in space with no contact back to Earth, with a self-sustaining crew wearing spiffy space-age outfits, led by a strong woman" sort of way...

LOL.

11. Jedi_Pilot

Jedi_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    I think they're going to have to do something with McKay pretty quick before he gets stuck as the perinnial prognosticator of doom.

"If we don't stop everything we're doing right now, we're all going to die!"

12. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    OK, Spoilers to follow...

I enjoyed the first episode. However, I would agree that it did seem like a variation of Voyager meets DS-9, with a dash of Enterprise thrown in for good measure. Hopefully, it will fare better than the Trek spinoffs, though. Should be interesting to see what direction they take it in. I think the Wraith(s) have potential. Although, this was a pretty straightforward Borg storyline:

Earthlings ignorantly enter new galaxy---start trouble with the local uber-baddies---uber-baddies now aware of Earth's presence---Earthlings must now find way to stop uber-baddies from assimilating/cannibalizing Earth...

I think it would/will be cool if/when a Goa'uld ever takes a Wraith as a host...

13. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    If a Goa'uld could take a Wraith for a host... for all we know, maybe the Wraith are immune. They seem like the sort of species that would be.

I watched it again over the weekend, this time so my dad could see it. Still liked it, and this time I knew to pay more attention to a few more scenes.

Interesting that they don't specifically state how long ago the Ancients traveled to Pegasus, leaving it rather vague as to how many million years ago. It was also left up in the air how long they were there before encountering the Wraith and eventually returning to Earth. Was it several million years, putting their return in a time when humans had already evolved, thus explaining how their language could influence/evolve into Latin and how the legend of Atlantis could have been passed to the ancient Greeks? Or did they return long before that, and somehow stuck around (either in their original form or in Acended form)?

Will we see more of particular Ancient focused on at the intro? Perhaps in flashbacks or info found on the computers?

How did the Wraith evolve? If the Pegasus galaxy had no other life before the Ancients came, how did the Wraith feed before that? Or... maybe they *used* to be life in Pegasus, but the Wraith had wiped it out long, long ago? That might make more sense - the Wraith have to have been a very old race in order to be able to challenge the Ancients in technology. So perhaps they were in some sort of very long hibernation, and the Ancients woke them in a manner similar to Sheppard? And having learned better, the Wraith now manage their "food" supply better?

Puddlejumper - very cute argument over naming the ship. :) I agree that Gateship 1 sounds better and makes sense, but Puddlejumper is just too cute. As for how it stopped so suddenly... Ancient technology, remember? Given that the ships were obviously set up to go through the gate like that, they probably are set to automatically come to a complete stop as soon as they're through the gate home. I'm a little disappointed about one aspect of the ship design, though - the slow closing pull-up door at the back of the ship seems too clumsy and technologically retarded, not keeping with the rest of the Ancient theme.

McKay - [face_plain] I have to admit I was never too impressed with him. Or maybe I'm just still annoyed that some of the original rumors back in the day were that Jonas was suppose to transfer over to Atlantis, and yet here we are with no cute Jonas. *sigh*

14. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    All good points, T. I'll need to watch it again sometime when I'm able to pay better attention to the minutiae.

Gotta love, "We're from a galaxy far, far away..."

15. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    i am with you...jonas, i would love for him to come thru that gate! :)

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I would be in heaven if Jonas went to Atlantis... hopefully we'll see him in one of the new SG-1 edisodes. That would be nice.

17. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    at least daniel was on for a little bit.

18. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    can I have Jonas?

I will be a really really good girl!

19. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    RIGHT...i believe that one. *wink*

20. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    well, I will at least be good at it

21. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I thought the Major scored more handsome points than Jonas.

22. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    Sheppard is mighty handsome. i would pick him over daniel..yes it's true...he has brown hair. can't help it. (that would be on looks)

BUT jonas is sweet and you know it is about the personality.

though sheppard is funny...yeah well that is all i will say about that. :)

23. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    you know

I have had a thing for the actor who plays Jonas forever

lol

24. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    I know they kept saying the guy was supposed to be a genius in his profile online, but I kept wanting to see it in action. His one response...

"720"...

...was a bit...watered down. LOL.

25. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I like the ancient technology explanation for my little pet peeve above. I'll buy that.

Hopefully the "shadow" in the next episode will add to the understanding or situation rather than just be a "we just finished the humongous premier and plopped a tired story line in the next one..." thing.

Hopefully it will be something that will enlighten them more about their situation or will become an additional nemesis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.