main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TV]-Supernatural

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by nnaydolem, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I'll see what I can do, but honestly it is not easy. These bags in general are hotcakes. I've never yet managed to get one in all the years I've been at the con. And even if I get A bag, there are so many different ones that the chances of a SPN one are low. We will see though.

2. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Sorry, I just now got the time to really reply to this. :(

Sage - dried, wild sage is best, but the garden/produce stuff works in a pinch. :)
    Magnetite - Honestly I hadn't thought about that. I remember reading somewhere that it was a good thing to have to protect one from ghosts, but that could be why. You just keep it on you.

I can probably get most of this stuff at the shop on Broadway and get it to you at the BBQ if you want.

Protection is more passive, like something to keep them off you if they try something. Repelling is more active

3. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Q - maybe a piece of loadstone, if it's not too expensive and if it's not an inconvenience? Don't you have family in town though? I don't want to take away from your time with them, or your time at the BBQ. I hve some of the other ones on the list, I'm pretty sure. I know I have some
    jade and just need to sit and identify the others.

4. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    My sister's not coming in till later tonight, and I'm about six blocks from Isis, so it's no problem. I think the lodestone is a little bit spendy ($6, small rock, I think), but I seem to have lost mine, anyway, so if it's more than you had wanted to spend I'll just keep it. :p I discovered Hawthorn is super excellent, so I'll see if they have some.

5. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    The $6 sounds fine. If it were just for general to-have-on-hand use I would probably pass for now, but this is a specific purpose, so its all good. Thank you so much - it's so nice of you to swing by to pick one up.

I just read up on hawthorn on wikipedia. It's interesting how the uses seem to span such a range, from May Day decorations to vampire stakes to associations with fairies.

6. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    [face_dancing]

Vertigo comics-inspired SPN is now a Vertigo comic book!

http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/comics/?cm=20541

[face_love]

7. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    That looks cool. It's a longer wait than hellatus though!

8. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Gabriel!!! :_| :_|

9. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    Let me guess...it was on TNT this morning?

10. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yep! Dang, I'd meant to get in on the campaign to bring Gabriel back earlier this summer, but I didn't have time. Seeing this episode again really brought back how rotten that turn of events was.

As we are approaching the end of season 5 on TNT again, I'm waiting to see if 6 will air yet or if it will loop directly to 1 again. I don't know what the lead time is for syndication.

11. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    they will loop to 1, because the DVDs haven't even been on sale yet. :)

12. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    True. The anime DVDs were supposed to come out last week, though. :D

13. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    can't say i am a fan...i mean i have them, but just not right if that makes sense.

14. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Good point, nnay. And it did indeed cycle around to season 1 this morning. I got to watch part of the pilot episode again. OMG, they look so much younger! Especially Sammy. Wow.

I also noticed a bit of a change in Sam's mannerisms, voice and expressions, comparing the beginning with the later years. I wonder if it was change made for the character, or if it reflects changes in the actor himself?

You know, thnking about the pilot episode... Back 6 years ago, I tried watching 1 episode of the show. It was the one with the lake, early season 1. I thought it was ok, but it didn't grab me enough to get me to watch again. I think that if I had seen the pilot episode instead, I would have stuck with the show from the beginning. Interesting, what a difference a single episode can make. I guess it goes to show that in these types of shows it really pays to stick with it for several episodes rather than just 1 or 2.

15. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    ^^^ain't that the truth....and how familiar it sounds.....

[image=http://assets.huluim.com/shows/key_art_firefly.jpg]

16. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Good point.

In that vein, I'm probably going to give Dr Who another chance. I watched the first episode of the new series when it came out years ago, but didn't care for it. That probably has a lot to do with not getting/liking British TV. But my nephew has gotten obsessed with the show, and I saw the panel at the con after the SPN panel. The trailer and storyline looked interesting.

17. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    So, here's an account of our stay in the supposedly haunted hotel in San Diego.

Alas, we didn't see any ghosts or find any signs. To be fair, we didn't go seriously searching through the hotel for them. We were pretty busy with the con and most of the time at the hotel was spent sleeping. I should have known going in that we wouldn't have time to investigate - not when there were lines to be standing in at the con!

We did have fun setting up protections for the room. I put down salt lines in front of the door, across the window sill and in front of the fireplace. Yes, our room had a gas fireplace. Go figure. It was an old-style theme hotel. After a short consideration, we decided that the fireplace counted as an entry point that needed a salt line just as much as other entries. We folded packing tape to get two sticky sides, fixed it in place and poured salt over it. It was a thin layer (both width and thickness) because we didn't want to make too much of a mess. Oh, and something we didn't think of until actually there laying down the lines? If your door opens inward and there isn't clearance between door and carpet? A line right in front of the door won't work. It'll get swept away every time the door opens. We decided to place the line across the entry way just beyond where the door opens. I also put out the sage, hawthorn and rowan berries, and various crystals that Q provided.

Let me take a moment to say... all those times we might have laughed and mocked at how cliche it seems when someone accidentally scuffs the salt line? So not a cliche. Really. We now know how realistic that is, and how easily it happens.

For the record, pouring salt lines is a lot harder than it looks. At least, it is if you're trying for a thin line without making a mess. I always thought they made huge thick lines because they showed up better on camera. Now I believe it's because big thick lines have to be way easier than small, neat lines.

Aside: ok, so this question has been bugging me. Why salt just entry points? Or have I misinterpreted and you're supposed to salt around the entire perimeter? We're talking about ghosts. Why would they be limited to doors and windows?

I didn't have time to make a home-made EMF meter before the con (having decided the 'Ghost Radar' app was bogus), but the first night at the con I did find a new app ('EMF Meter') which sounded more authentic. This one says it actually uses the compass and magnetometer to detect magnetic fields. We tested it around a magnet and saw a change in readings, so I was happy. Unfortunately I got the app after our only tour around the hotel (aka search for the ice machine), so I didn't get a chance to scan the property. I did scan our room later, but the only reading anomaly was near our alarm clock. I'm gonna assume the electronics were responsible rather than the alarm clock being haunted.

In a cool turn, one evening when my friend and I were returning to the hotel, we can across a guided tour across the street from the hotel. A lady in an old fashioned costume was telling a group the story of the hotel and alleged haunting.

I can only imagine what housekeeping thought of our salt lines, especially the one across the doorway. I came in while they were there the first day, and heard they say something along the lines of 'just leave it there'. They didn't get rid of them at any rate, though they did get moved when the cart ran over them. That turned out to be a nice part of putting them on tape. All I had to do was straighten the tape back out.

Since we didn't go prowling around the hotel looking for ghost signs, I think the verdict on the hotel is inconclusive. We didn't see or hear anything suspicious, but is that because there wasn't anything or is it because we spent most of the time in the room and had it all decked out with protections? Hard to say.

18. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I just showed my mom the first episode of Supernatural, and she loved it! :D we are about to start the next one.

19. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    woohooo!!!=D=

20. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yep, she's joined us. We got through 3 episodes yesterday before I had to go home to do laundry. She really likes it. Hm, maybe one Of beer times I should bring her out to Starfest with me.

21. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    The Winchester Family Business site just opened forums. Could be kinda fun... Anyone else interested in getting an account and checking it out?

22. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    oh link?

23. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003

Link

I think I'll go ahead and sign up.

24. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I went ahead and signed up using my normal online name here. But now I have to get to work. Boo!

25. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003