main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TV] The "Lost" Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    BB-I was reading your post. I just have a comment. If Desmond was in the bunker since the 70s, then how did he meet Jack while running in the stadium? I am a bit confused if that is the case.

I think that Jack's flashback happened in the early 90s or perhaps LATE 80s. Hence Jack's GREAT hair. Just my opinion.

2. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    It's also entirely possible that although the bunker itself was furnished 20 or 30+ years ago, the current occupant himself might be a more 'recent' addition.

3. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    4-8-15-16-23-42

OK, if we break it down in this fashion, there are 6 digits

4,815,162,342 =4 Billion, 8 hundred 15 million, 1 hundred 62 thousand, 3 hundred 42....

This is NOT a prime number.

815 is the Oceanic Flight number.

23 is the number of episodes per season (thus far), and is also the only prime number in the series.

42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything.

This sequence does NOT appear when calculating Pi to a minimum of 400 decimal places.

However, this does not discount pi's potential relevance.

Pi(4) = 2; Pi(8) = 4; Pi(15) = 6; Pi(16) = 6; Pi(23) = 9; Pi(42) = 12; 2-4-6-6-9-12????

Or, by reverse-calculating 4,815,162,342, we can determine that it represents a value less than Pi(100,000,000).

Assuming a base-10 counting system: 4+8+15+16+23+42 = 108.

2x2x3x3x3x3 = 108.

Assuming a base-9 counting system: 4+8+15+16+23+42 = 100 (or, more accurately as represented in true base-9 = 101.)

100 is 10-squared.
    101 is a prime number.
    10, 100, 101 all binary representations.

Or....pyramidicly: 10-digits would be stacked: 4-3-2-1 (conversely 1-2-3-4). This would break the numeric scheme down to:

4815-162-34-2 or 4-81-516-2342.

All of which is perhaps mathematically intriguing, yet sheds little light in solving the riddle.

4. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    oooh Stacy.

I don't even know what to say.

That is as bad as Hurley and that other guy in the psych ward.

I will pray for you. ;)

5. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Such is the madness that haunts my dreams....

6. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I think we might need to hold an intervention for you.

7. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I think I've been looking at this from the wrong angle.

If we assume the intentional pairing of the numbers per Hurley's winning lottery ticket to be:

4-8-15-16-23-42

....then, these are the specific references/sequences that to be looking/listening for within the series.

For example, in the most recent episode:

Jack says there are 4 guns left.

There are 8 rungs down the ladder into the hatch.

The exercise bike is going @ 16 mph.

Adam Rutherford pronounced dead @ 8:15 AM. (Additionally, Rutherford was Boone/Shannon's name, wasn't it????)

When Jack is running in the stadium, the rows are labeled 4, 8, 15...

When 'Desmond' opens the safe, he hits the numbers 23....42....

There's a wall inside the hatch labeled "108", which per my previous post is the sum of 4+8+15+16+23+42.

I'm sure there are more.

8. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    According to Robert Anton Williams, 23 is a part of the cosmic code. It's connected with so many synchronicities and weird coincidences that it must mean something. In several of his books, including the Illuminatus trilogy and Cosmic Trigger, he has given examples of a tremendous number of coincidences connected with 23. Take for example the anniversary of Shakespeare's birth, April 23, 1556 and his death, April 23, 1616. Also April 23, 1616, the same time Shakespeare died in England, Cervantes, author of Don Quixote, died in Spain. April 23, 1014 is when Brian Boru died, he was the first high king of Ireland to be a political as well as religious leader. He unified all Ireland and drove the Danes out, and on April 23, 1014 he was killed by one of the Danes after the battle of Clontarf, where he defeated the Danes for the final time, and liberated Ireland from foreign rule. August 23, 1170 is when the Normans came in, and Ireland has been under foreign rule again, in whole or in part, ever since. On Aug. 23, 1920 James Joyce was discussing coincidences with a friend in a Paris bar when he suddenly saw a giant black rat and fainted dead away. So that ties Joyce together with the invasion of Ireland, and Shakespeare, and Brian Boru. All of this is in (James Joyce's) Finnigan's Wake, by the way.

9. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I will be contacting everyone for Stacy's LOST number invertvention.

Actually, that is interesting.

So, not much going on at work I guess. ;)

10. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Boring conference call.

11. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Well at least you are not "Lost" ha ha ha ha

Yeah, that is the best I could come up with.

12. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I knew there was another significant one that I'd overlooked.

The bottles of medicine that Desmond has in his cabinet all say 4 8 15 16 23 42 across the top

13. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Can't say for certain, as we can't see exactly what he's typing, but I believe Desmond typed 4 8 15 16 23 42 as the password for his computer. The pattern of characters/spacebars is the same, and I'm pretty sure he hit the "1" key 2x in the middle of the password sequence.

14. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002

This Yahoo Group is pretty decent. That is when I have a chance to check it out.

15. BerusBantha

BerusBantha Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    OK everyone must have seen the circular symbol that is on everything in Desmonds bunker, right?
    Well I am almost certain I saw that same symbol on the shark that was circling Sawyer and Michael. It was just a quick blur but I swear that I saw it. I wish I had taped the episode so that I could see it again but I didn't. Anyone else see it?

Amazingly, This episode ended exactly where last weeks episode ended.

16. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Beth,
    You did see it on the shark. I saw it as well. I think it almost like a security company or a watch-dog something. It was apparant that whatever the numbers are they 'reset' the clock. NOW what is the clock for?

I was thinking. Perhaps the guy in the psych-ward used to do what Desmond does now.

17. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I spotted that too.

The symbol that appears on the food and the cabinet has the words "Dharma Inc". So this perhaps is some company that is managing the operation of the island. Even the shark bears this logo.

In Budhism, 'dharma' means protection from suffering by eliminating ignorance.

Also, anyone else catch the stuffed polar bear that Michael gave younger Walt in the flashback?

18. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I did see the bear as well. I am sure the writers just love messing with our minds.

19. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Somethings I was thinking about.

So what is this sickness. Desmond asked, how many are sick.

Locke says none. It is a mental illness? or something physical. Obviously it is dangerous enough for Danielle to have killed all of her crew. Speaking of Danielle, is her son still alive? That would put him at 16 was it?

Where have the 'others' been all of this time? Are they on the Island? Or just come by to kidnap kids?

I like what Sawyer said, 'We're home.'

20. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    OK, remember Lenny? The guy that Hurley met in the Psyche ward? Well, according to Martha Toomey, Lenny worked with Sam Toomey (her husband) at a listening post in the South Pacific when they first heard the numbers. Maybe, that's the story they told HER. What if they both actually worked together on the island?

Is Hurley the guy that Desmond was referring to? "Are you him? Are you him?"

What did one snowman say to the other snowman?

Can you smell carrots?

21. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I think that had merit, however, I think that only one person lived in the bunker at one time...hence the little craziness. JMO

22. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    The candy bar that Kate ate was Manufactured in Japan.

Apollo:

[image=http://store1.yimg.com/I/2yoyo_1856_12894387.jpg]

23. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Back to the "numbers" again....

Seeing as the Jack/Locke tension seems to be rooted in the eternal struggle of science/faith, I thought I'd pursue a non-scientific/mathematical approach to divine their meaning.

Given all the themes and undercurrents in the show pertaining to redemption this seems to be a more 'logical' path to follow, as opposed to the scientific/numerological one.

NUMBERS was the title of the episode in which we were first introduced to these enigmatic buggers.

Numbers also happens to be a book of the Bible. In fact, it is the fourth book of the Old Testament, dealing with Moses leading the Israelites through the desert of Sinai.

Ruth is the 8th book of the OT.
    Ezra is the 15th book of the OT.
    Nehemiah is the 16th book of the OT.
    Isaiah is the 23rd book of the OT.
    Luke is the 42nd book in the OT.

Aaron - Claire's baby, is named Aaron....the brother of Moses (also referenced in the book of Numbers)

Genesis is one of only 4 Old Testament books (Psalms, Isaiah, Jeremiah) to possess 42+ chapters. Adam & Eve are obviously mentioned in Genesis (specifically Chapter 4), and were also the skeletal names given by Kate in the Caves.

Genesis 8 centers on Noah....hmmmm.....flooding....40 days & 40 nights....the length of Season 1 as a matter of fact. In the tripartite Episodes "Exodus" is when the raft is built.

Genesis 15 is about Abram. God grants his kin the rights to land. Hmmmmm....not sure where to go with this one.

Genesis 16 continues Abram's tale with his barren wife Sara & surrogate Hagar. The son of their union would be Ishmael.

Genesis 23 - the death of Sara at age 127, Abraham buried her in a cave.

Genesis 42 - Jacob sends his sons to Egypt to collect food, but they are sent away by their long lost brother Joseph, accused as spies.

24. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    You certainly have put a lot of thought into this.

I am thinking I want to explore the Biblical implications of this a bit further.

25. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002

Perhaps too much thought.

The Biblical history stuff is the easy part, as I actually enjoyed (paid attention) in Sunday School. Now, what the heck does it all mean????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.