main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TV] The "Lost" Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    I scanned this out of the new TV guide, which will be out next week. It is really long.

-------
    So you thought it wasn't possible to get any more Lost? This season, ABC's Emmy-winning phenomenon has been bigger, bolder?and more baffling than a mysterious hatch tricked out with a doomsday computer. TV GUIDE set out to answer the show's burning questions. Unfortunately, there wasn't room for all 4,815,162,342 of them. Although cocreator Damon Lindelof and executive producer Carlton Cuse didn't quite sing like Mama Cass, they did drop a few exclusive clues.

Are the survivors just a bunch of lab rats?

The "Orientation" film Jack and Locke watched in the 10/5 episode suggests that the hatch is part of a large-scale research facility called the Dharma Initiative (see logo, right), which was conceived in 1970 and involved some sort of social science experiment on the island. But are the survivors of Flight 815 part of the experiment?

"That theory is a very interesting one," Lindelof says. "One that we had not considered. That film was 'made' in 1980, and all it says is there's a thing called the Dharma Initiative?we don't exactly know what its origins are?but they got funding from some Dutch industrialist, came to the island and were doing all these experiments. How that relates to our plane and our people is all subject to interpretation." At least one thing is certain: "Orientation" didn't tell the whole story. The film's jarring jump cuts are actually what Lindelof calls "missing pieces" that resulted when former hatch hermit Desmond spliced the broken movie back together after watching it too many rimes. (That's also a crafty way of keeping all storytelling options open. We're just sayin'.)
    Regardless, Lindelof claims those missing pieces will become "very important plot points down the road."

What happens if the survivors decide not to input Hurley's "cursed" lottery numbers into the computer every 108 minutes?

Producers?shock!? aren't willing to download that info just yet. But a hint may lie in what a dripping-wet Walt mumbled in the jungle in the season premiere. Lindelof confirms that Walt said, "Push the button. Don't push the button. Bad." Though you're forgiven for being confused: The message was played backward. Says Cuse, "Walt sort of appears in this dream and says what he says, so now the audience has to figure out: If that button continues to get pushed as an ongoing condition of their lives, is that a good thing or a bad thing?" Beats us, but we're pretty sure Cuse just admitted that Shannon's jungle encounter with Walt was a dream!

Will Desmond be back?

The blast from Jack's past picked up a copy of the 1967 novel The Third Policeman, as well as a stash of that mysterious serum he shoots into his arms, and hightailed it outta the hatch in Episode 3. But chances are good you'll see actor Henry Ian Cusick in another episode, brother. Says Lindelof: "I think the audience is very compelled to figure out exactly where Desmond was running to and, once he gets there, what is he going to do. We told you that he was in a [ship] wreck, but I think there are a lot of questions about how exactly he came to be here. That's certainly a story on the horizon. Desmond is one of those characters, not unlike Rousseau, who floats in and out of our story line when the time is right."
    Exactly how long ago did an unfortunately coiffed Jack meet Desmond running in the stadium?

Producers are loath to pinpoint dates on Lost. Could this be because time travel somehow plays a role in the show's mythology? After all, Sawyer was shown reading Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time last season. "It's important to note," Lindelof says, "that we've never said when the plane crashed. I think the assumption is that it happened in 2004 when the show premiered, but we've never said that. Everything [on the show] is measured in terms of PC and AC, pre-crash and after-crash. No [character] ever refers to elections or events in history that would date exactly where we are in time." That's cool, but here's a tip for p

2. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Check this photo out....hmmmmmmm

3. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    Top Ten Surprises In The New Season Of "Lost":

10. Jack was once married to Renee Zellweger but it was annulled

9. The island is Dick Cheney's undisclosed location

8. Halfway through the season, the Harlem Globetrotters show up and challenge the castaways to a basketball game

7. The show finally gets a long overdue laugh track

6. Halliburton awarded no-bid contract for reconstruction of the plane

5. The numbers? Paris Hilton's cell phone number

4. The monster turns out to be a liquored-up Martha Stewart

3. Everyone is rescued when Sean Penn shows up in his motorboat

2. Michael Brown shows up offering to move the survivors to the Super Dome

1. The real reason the plane crashed -- Lindsay Lohan was driving

4. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Funny stuff there jt!

Yes, Lost tonight = GOOD.

Much needed diversion from 'reality'.

5. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Good call on the dream with Jin.

OK...questions about last night. Ok..the one girl (can't remember her name) talking to Michael, said there were 23 of them.

How many were left..6 or so? I am wondering if they 'got sick'. What is this sickness?

6. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    It was Libby (Cynthia Watros). I'm thinking the 'Others' got ahold of them.

Nice to see Bernard survived in the tail section. Interesting connection that Ruth shares with her husband.

There was a different DHARMA sybmol in the other hatch/bunker. Must be another of the six stations on the island?

7. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I did not see the other symbol. I will have to go back and check.

I am wondering if that picture (see above) is accurate. The grad students are or became the Others. Are the Others the ones that are sick? Too many questions.

8. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    The symbol is on the wall behind (in the background) the other tail section survivors as they enter the bunker w/Jin/Michael/Sawyer.

I'm gonna have to rewind my old-school VHS tape to confirm, but I coulda sworn that I saw a "missing child" pic on one of the milk cartons.....and that the pic was of.....Walt.

9. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    HMMM well I can look on my Digital SHARP Tivo and check it out.

Was it during Hurley's dream?

10. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    DHARMA symbol:

[image=http://lost.cubit.net/pics/dharmaLogo2.jpg]

11. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002

Yes. Which begs the question of Hurley's intuition regarding the now 'missing' Walt....

12. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Now that I see that...I did see that, but didn't think a think of it. hmmm interesting....

I will check out the milk carton.

Oh...Jin's wife..hiding the bottle with the notes. I am curious, do you think she suspects they are dead...which is what I am thinking. I think, she hid it because she didn't want people to loose hope.

13. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    The girl in the record store during Hurley's flashback said:

"You're messing with my world view here Hugo. You're my rock, I mean, if you quit your job the next thing you know is... Bees will stop making honey.... Flowers will die.... Hell, the whole damn thing will fall apart"

Foreshadowing anyone?

Quitting his job: Entering the numbers in the bunker? Some other role on the island?
    Bees will stop making honey: Bees are drones, and honey is sweet, as well as nourishment, but I'm unsure where to go from there.
    Flowers will die: Rose is obviously the name of a flower, as well as one of the fairly prominent female lostaways. We already have confirmation from Lindelof that a 'central' female character will die.

14. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Walt on the milk carton:

[image=http://lost.cubit.net/pics/waltMissing.jpg]

15. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Wow....that is too much!

I must check that website out.

16. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Ok...here is a thought.

The psychic that told Claire, SHE had to the one to raise the child. of course he knew he plane was going to go down..etc. etc.

I think they need to explore this a bit more...perhaps do a little more background on Claire.

17. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    This was on my LOST group...

Anyone notice that the guy who was Hurley's boss was also Locke's boss at the box comapany? His name was definitley Randy. Yet another connection!

18. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2004
    Put in https://www.thehansofoundation.org

It gets interesting from there.

19. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I actually checked out

www.bigspaceship1.com

earlier...moving polar bears...and some red flash.

20. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Go to http://www.oceanicflight815.com , click on the barcode at the bottom of the page and type in "theislandiswaiting" a page of a script from an upcoming episode #206 pops up. So that is NEXT weeks.

21. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    The Hanso site is an 'official' Disney/ABC site, whereas BigSpaceship is not (fan-based).

Some interesting 'translations' of the morse code on the 'BS' site though....

I've heard from a couple of my friends that the 'bearded guy' who abducts Walt is actually Kelvin (and not DeGroot). IMDB supports this supposition as well.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/May-D/unconfessed.gif]

22. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I can see why they say that...however it makes more sense to me that it is DeGroot.

Where is that picture from?

23. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Not sure. A friend of mine uses it in his sig line, so I snaked it from him.

This week is 2.05: "....and Found".

Next week's epi (2.06) has been pre-empted by a repeat of 2.02 "Adrift".

24. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Not repeats already!!!

Thanks for the 411.

25. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.