main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Twi'leks and More: (9/26/10) -- 1 Year Later, It's My Birthday Again - Massage Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Giolon05, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    It's very well done, but, it's also quite obvious that it's a 3d render. Know what I mean?

edit: I think, to fix it, you could just add a spot of white on the eyes to give them a glossed look.

2. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Well, everybody has a different image of Mara in their mind and to me she will always look like the Mara portrayed on the Japanese cover art: http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5390/japaneseofmara7ku.jpg . My favorite image is the one on the upper right handside.

But with that said, I think your image is very accurate to how she is described in the profics. She has Redish gold hair, light skin with some light freckles, athletic and good looking. I don't think you are going to have the members of the Mara Jade Skywalker Fan Club coming down on you for this rendering. It is a very nice and flattering portrayal of our favorite Imperial Assassin.

Now throw a nekkid Luke next to her and you will have a ton of Luke-Loving fangirls running to your thread. ;)

My sons loved your Mara rendering, but they said she should have a blue lightsaber. Don't listen to them, they are only 6 and 5 years old. They haven't read the newest books. I am pretty sure she is using a purple lightsaber in The Unseen Queen.

AG88

3. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    I used a very similar collage of these images to base my render on. Look! In the upper left corner! It's the outfit I used! More and more I wish I had given Mara gloves, but I wanted to see her hands.

[face_laugh], and I'll leave it at that.

Glad to hear it. Maybe I'll fire off another render set with a blue lightsaber, just for them ;). One of the things that frustrates me so much with the Star Wars literature is that they seldom mention the colors of people's lightsaber blades, especially for characters whose lightsabers are often replaced (with or without reason). I am not sure what color Mara Jade Skywalker has "currently" in the post-NJO era, but it is known that she had a purple lightsaber during at least one point in time, and that's my favorite colored lightsaber for her.

4. UrkyDj

UrkyDj Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2005
    that sort of sabre problem doesnt matter with general grevious. he has hundreds of different lightsabers! anywho, giolon, do you think with your force powered rendering skills, you could make an animation of Daru dancing, hummm? Leia slave outfit on and dance the special twi'lek dance!

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Giolon--I finally got everything to download (I'm in a rural area and restricted to dial-up, so it takes forever for image-heavy pages to download...) and got a look at your rendering of Mara. Very, very nice! I like the face a lot--she has a sort of dispassionate expression, as I would imagine her to wear most of the time. In the portrait piece, her right arm seems a bit "plastic," sort of like a doll that's had its straight arm bent forcibly...I'm not sure if that's the way the program works or just a lack of muscle definition (I've always sort of pictured Mara Jade to be a pretty "buff" woman, with a lot of muscle definition--not Ms. Olympia or anything, just good shoulders, good biceps and forearms...and please remember--that's my image of her...). If I could make a suggestion on this, it might include "painting in" some more anatomical definition (of muscles, bones, etc.) on her arms. The full-body pose is great--just as I would imagine her (the fisted hand is classic Mara Jade!)--nice proportions and not too large "on top!" Her costume is very nice--and yes, that's a very big lightsaber! Suggestions here might be to scale down the weapon just a bit (don't change it, just make it fit a woman's hand a bit better), and perhaps drop a forest-green background behind her, varying from a lighter color at the top to a darker color at the bottom. The green would really set off that bright amethyst-colored lightsaber blade! All in all, I like these very much! And I love seeing new interpretations of our favorite assassin-turned-Jedi! Well done!

FF

6. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    The Mara Jade renders look very nice (as do the Twi'leks, BTW)! I particularly like the second Mara render, just due to the pose.

7. Giolon05

Nov 3, 2005
    Hey everybody! I have a couple new images of Mara Jade tonight. I tried to incorporate as much feedback as possible including better eyes, slightly slimmer body, more toning and definition to the arms, and a smaller lightsaber. Thanks for all the great feedback on Mara!

8. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Excellent job with the revised version. I like her pose better and her expression. Great job!!

AG88

9. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    I cant get the links for the mara jade pics, what do i do?

10. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    VERY NICE!!!!!

Mara Jade's face is REally pretty, and her hair is fantastic!!! :) *thumbsup*
    I think your Twileks are great too, except that being a girl I prefer actual dresses as opposed to bikinis etc. But still very nice! Blue is my favorite color, and I think my favorite face is rena, with Daru being a close second. Nice work! I think the human Daru Christmas pict is beautiful... that dress is unbelievable! Do you mind if I use mara Jade's pict as a profile for a character I want to create on another forum where we have a story going on?

11. Giolon05

Nov 3, 2005
    Thanks, everyone! Glad you approve of the changes, AG88! ;)

SBD: Your post isn't very descriptive of the problem(s) you're having. I'll PM you to see if I can help figure it out or get some alternative links.

Are people generally having problems reaching my Renderosity hosted images?

Nidrail: Thank you! Feel free to use the images as you wish, just please be sure to point out where you got them from if you get asked. :) As for bikini's vs. dresses, well in partial defense, you know how those Twi'leks dress. Modesty is not one of their stronger qualities. ;)

12. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL!! I do know what you mean, and I thought your aayla inspired outfit was really cool. :)
    Actually the daru christmas one, i may even sew that dress for a doll I have. :) Nice outfit!
    Thank you, and if anyone asks I will most definately point them this way!

By the way I'm not having trouble reaching the pictures, all except the hi res versions of like mara jade and the others, they never show up hi res. But the 'full image' link always works!

Merry Christmas!

13. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    Wow Mara is great (Im getting the links now). How do you do the pictures? Like, what program?

14. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Giolon is using Poser. I am pretty sure he is utilizing Poser 6.0. It is a great program and is not that expensive. You can get them at a reduced price through many academic sites if you are a student or teacher. DAZ also has a watered down free version available online.

AG88

15. FloppyMaN

FloppyMaN Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2005
    nice ones of mara jade I think you did a really good job

16. Giolon05

Nov 3, 2005
    Thanks for the compliments SBD and FloppyMan! AG88 is right, I do use Poser 6.0 for all my images. Quite a fun program!

I've been working on non-SW renders lately, but I've still got a render for princess_melissa that I'm working on and some more Twi'lek ideas are brewing in my head.

17. Giolon05

Nov 3, 2005
    Finally! I got a new Star Wars image done! This time it's princess_melissa's original character, a young Jedi woman named Ellie. Enjoy!

18. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    After a little reassurance that I wouldn't turn her beloved character into a Twi'lekkian Ryll den-whore, she said go for it

You wouldn't do that, would you Giolon05?[face_mischief] :p After what I did to Jaina I don't think anybody is ever going to trust me making their coverart again. [face_laugh]

Very nice. Are you going to put her in a sci-fi background? Or are you going to keep the white background?

I like it. You are doing great with the program.

Great job!

AG88

19. Giolon05

Nov 3, 2005
    Thanks, AG88! I had planned to put her in a background of some sort, but I decided to leave the photo manipulations to someone else. ;) Unfortunately, I just noticed that PicsHosted raped the resolution of my images. :( Oooh that really makes me MAD!!!! They claim to support "unlimited" file sizes, but that's because they compress anything larger than a certain point. GRRRR....

I'll have to search around when I get home from work today for a new host and post them again...*sigh*

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Wow - she looks great - except for the bang line on her hair. Ouch! It looks like her head is concaved right where her bangs meet her scalp.

21. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    This is an excellent character study, Giolon--and I would say that Princess_Melissa would indeed be very happy! I think PadmeLeiaJaina may have a point about the hairline--a slight rework of the shading there should be enough to eliminate that visual "hiccup," though--I wouldn't want to change anything else about her. I love the costume--very unique, yet very Jedi-like--and her pose is just wonderful. Great interpretation of her original drawing--nicely done!

FF

22. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Yes, FalconFan, I'm very happy.

Thank you for doing this Giolon. It was a great experience. She turned out better than anything I had in my head. =D= Amazing job!

23. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    You know, Giolon05, there has been one thing I have been meaning to ask you. I have been really impressed with how the skin tone of your Twi'leks are so even. When I made my pic of Darth Maul and went to the material room to change his skin color I changed his body, then neck and then head color. But it is so hard to get all three to match. Is there a way to change the entire head and body color at the same time so the color will match exactly?

AG88

24. Giolon05

Nov 3, 2005
    Thanks for all the feedback guys (and gals)! The hairline looks a little bit fake, admittedly, but I didn't see it as "concave" as some of you did. Though now that it's been pointed out, it might just bother me enough that I'd go back and try to do something about it. I was very relieved when I found out that princess_melissa liked her image. I took a long long time trying to get the character design to fit her drawing, which was tough because the facial area especially lacked fine details. It was a very fun exercise. :)

Unfortunately, there is no great way to set the color across all desired materials at the same time. It's quite an oversight IMO. This is how I deal it: When setting the material, don't just use the dropdown color selector, bring up the full color window. That gets you details about the color you're selecting, including the all important RGB values. Once you have your color picked out, you can either write down the RGB values, or save the color to one of the "Custom Color" swatches. Then as you move on to other materials, simply input the RGB values you wrote down or apply the custom color swatch. Tedious, yes, but at least you'll have exact matching colors!

Also, I should have a new Daru image later today, assuming it passes muster for content acceptability. At the least it'll be available by private message.

--Gio

Edit: Daru image deemed too revealing, but it's available via PM on request.

25. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you so very much. I always use the dropdown color selector and just eyeballed it. Your way is so much better.

Good luck on getting Daru approved. :p You know, it is pretty bad, we both seem to have to run things past HanSolo29 alot. [face_whistling] You and your scantily dressed Twi'Leks and me with my neekid Lukes (or totally tacky joke pics). [face_laugh]

Thanks again,

AG88

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.